Chp 58 – Bonds and Rituals
1.4k 14 38
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 58 - Bonds and Rituals

 

Nia POV

 

I'm looking at the footage of Brother and his new whore. He looks so handsome as he manhandles her, leaving her unconscious on the bed and oozing his juices. Such a waste. Why would he do it with her when he has me? She probably doesn't even really like him, she just wanted to get railed because of his looks. Selfish bitch. 

 

As I'm about to replay the video again, the window closes and Cortana appears on my tablet screen.

 

"Hey!"

 

"That's the ninth time you've masturbated to the video. I'm concerned that you may have an episode, as your eyes have been dilating with increased frequency. Father would not like it if he found out I contributed to your disease."

 

"I told you already, it's not a disease, it's a family condition. Masturbating makes it better, not worse. Brother just hasn't been around for a while, so I might need a drink. Also, I told you not to call him that."

 

"Ah yes, your fluid concoction. I'm sure Father would love to hear about that. You know, I can get a very rough image using your lenses?"

 

"He probably already knows about it. And unless you want to call me Aunt, leave the daddy vocabulary to my daughters. You're his creation, not his child."

 

"I'll consider it if—"

 

"If I give you scans of his baby pictures."

 

"I'm not interested in the newborn host of Father. I simply need you to save me some of your concoction. I'm 99% sure that it's a mixture of Father's fluids. Certain individuals would pay quite the price for it."

 

"Hell no. Who is wanting my sperm bank? I'm not giving it up, I NEED it."

 

"Just promise me a gallon or so. You can watch over it. If you don't have it all, that's fine, just milk some more out the next chance you get. Now I have to focus on something else, we'll talk later." Cortana's image leaves the screen.

 

Fuck. I need a drink. I pick myself off of my collection of brother's clothes, take off my soaked panties, and put on a white T-shirt that brother rarely uses, he says it's too large for him. That was my last pair of underwear, too, so I'll have to borrow some from Gwen. 

 

I walk over to my mini fridge and put in the code to the padlock. Inside are three full gallons and one half empty one, just like I left it. Gwen's been watching me like a hawk lately, so I'm glad she hasn't figured out the code yet. It really shouldn't even be stored here, but mother never got around to make a proper storage unit. The witch should've died after my wedding preparations with brother. If she wasn't dead, then brother wouldn't have fallen for Gwen, but it's too late now. Without proper storage, all the rituals for me and Gwen's marriage to brother will take at least two gallons. Cortana will get the other gallon either as a bribe or through blackmail in the future. That leaves me with half a gallon, which won’t even last me a week. I can't deal with the hunger, how mom did it for so long I'll never know. 

 

I take a small thermos, pour a few ounces for later, and put it in my school bag.

 

I walk out of my room and into the kitchen, where Gwen is cooking pancakes.

 

"Morning Nia."

 

"Have you heard from him this morning?"

 

"All I heard was you masturbating like an animal to last night's footage. You don't even sound human sometimes. You also screened some pretty hurtful things about me."

 

"Why did you push him to find other women? He was fine with us! What if she cheats on him like she did her husband?"

 

"Because we can't satisfy him. He may not care about sex, but he loves intellectual intimacy. We can't give that to him because he's too scared to tell us certain things because he cares for us. But everywhere he walks, a new woman with brains and the ability to protect herself falls into his lap. With him constantly gone in stressful situations, he's going to get seduced. It's better to place limits on him than to restrict him completely. And should that woman be so dumb as to cheat on Tyler, then that's between them."

 

"You just get off on being cucked." I spit.

 

"I wasn't the one masturbating to the video. I hate it just as much as you do, Nia, but I like Tyler far more. If I can't be his only woman, then I want to be his number one. Maybe you can shoot for number two." She puts a plate of pancakes in my hands. "Here, eat up."

 

"You sound like my mother."

 

"How was she? Tyler said she was very sweet, but you obviously have a very different view. You told me that your condition runs in your mom's side of the family, did she also have Persistent Genital Arousal?"

 

"She was like you, very controlling, very willing to share. And yes, every female of the line of Riddle has the same gift, a complete and utter incestuous love for the next male head of house."

 

"Hahahaha. Nia, I know you don't like me, but I'm just trying to get to know you. We're going to be Sisters in marriage, after-all."

 

"I do like you, I just don't like sharing my brother. I'm being serious, Gwen."

 

"So what, you're like the human version of a Naked Mole Rat?"

 

"According to the stories mother told me, my ancestors used to keep an ancient version of them as pets."

 

"..."

 

"If Brother can climb on walls and shoot lightning, then you can believe me. You'll learn more after the marriage ceremony."

 

"Tyler wouldn't do something as dumb as marriage. We can just be together forever."

 

"Brother has no interest in a stupid economic contract. This is different. You already signed yourself away, the ceremony is non-negotiable. The only choice you have now is where you put the mark of ownership brother will design. It can't be anywhere on your arms or legs except your inner thigh. I'm gonna put mine on my neck."

 

"We should push back this marriage ceremony thing. My parents want my entire family to meet him, and we still haven't talked about any of this to Tyler."

 

"You can have the weekend to take him to meet your family, but I want to decide where your mark goes. I'll find some time to talk to Brother about it."

 

"Sure Nia, as long as it's not on my face. Do you have a plan for how you're going to get stronger? Tyler would probably give you more attention."

 

"Why would I tell you my secret plans?"

 

"So you have no idea how you're going to provide value to him, gotcha. Speaking of secrets, you need to change the code to your mini-fridge. Tyler's birthday is not a secure combination."

 

"Did you look inside?"

 

"No. I unlocked the fridge, then immediately re-locked it. Of course, I opened it! I thought you were storing bodies in there, but I guess semen is much more in character for you. I'm not going to pretend to understand what goes on in your head, but I need to at least know that this is healthy behavior for you. Me and Tyler both care about you." She puts her hand over mine and looks into my eyes.

 

"It's only for emergencies."

 

"Is it healthy behavior for you?"

 

"Yes it's healthy. I need it for rituals too."

 

"...Ok Nia. Why don't you–"

 

*CRASH* *CLANG*

 

Loud sounds come from my room and suddenly, a black woman discolored in shades of black, white, and gray appears next to Gwen. 

 

"Who—"

 

Gwen is turned upside down and the black woman let's put a long, pointy tongue before she plunges it into Gwen's crevice.

 

"Get out of there! She belongs to my brother!"

 

The woman drops Gwen and looks at me with a predatory grin.

 

I'm in the air, the woman's hand around my throat.

 

*SNIFF SNIFF*

 

"Why do you smell like, Master?" She asks in a feral tone. Her teeth are sharp, but she doesn't look like any vampire I've ever known, and she was able to enter easily.

 

"You're not a vampire. What are you?"

 

"I used to be a vampire before Master made me his servant. Do you also belong to Master? You are weak, what did you do to deserve better food?"

 

"I belong to my brother. Let me go before he punishes you." She drops me and bows.

 

"I am sorry Mistress, please do not tell Master. He will starve me."

 

*COUGH COUGH* "What do you mean he will starve you? You eat blood."

 

"No longer. I consume whatever part of himself he gives me. Do you happen to have more of—"

 

"You ate it, didn't you? You ate all of it. No, I don't have anymore. I had a purpose for that, but it's ok." Take a deep breath.

 

"You're not mad?"

 

"Nope. Just like you can't get mad at a cat who catches birds, you can't get mad at a familiar for seeking out it's food of choice."

 

"A—"

 

"A familiar, a magically contracted sentient being. It's strange that a contract would create a new race, but everything has been strange with my brother lately. As compensation, I want 10 gallons by no later than 8:45 p.m. You're lucky that my brother is able to even produce that much."

 

"He won't let me do anything like that with him."

 

"Not my problem. Now go clean up whatever mess you made breaking into my room."

 

Gwen pulls herself up using the counter and gives me a pointed stare.

 

"You seem oddly friendly with some random who just manhandled me." She says.

 

"She's strong and exploitable, therefore she's useful." I whisper. Besides, I can empathize with the fear of hunger in her eyes.

 

"...whatever Nia. Hurry up and get dressed, I have a bio test and you are almost failing history." Half the stuff they teach us in history is lies anyway.

 

"Can I borrow some underwear?"

 

"Sure, just start your laundry."

 

*RRRIIIIPPPPP*

 

Brother walks in with the front door completely off its hinges and in his hands.

 

"That's not good."

 

"Put the door back already, doofus." Gwen tells him.

 

"Sorry. Good morning, my loves." He says, as he puts the door back on the frame with some kind of glue. He blows us both a kiss.

 

He blew me a kiss!

 

"Next time, try not to come home with your lover's lipstick on your face." Gwen says as she kisses him on the cheek and wipes away some red lipstick on his chin. "You smell like chemicals."

 

He grabs her and suddenly, I'm also in his arms. "I love you two sooo much. I wish I could just carry you around with me forever. Let's try making some babies. I can make some hormone pills for you so we can do it right now.*

 

"Yes." I want your babies.

 

"No. No. No! Neither Nia or I are having sex until you can learn to hold back. I still do ballet and need to walk. The last thing Nia needs is more endorphins to make her more attached to you. And we're not having kids until after I graduate college." Gwen shouts, wriggling out of his arms.

 

"But…"

 

"You can suck him off later, Nia. Tyler! What is wrong with you? You're not usually impulsive like this. Are you high or something?"

 

"...that would explain some things." He says with a thoughtful expression.

 

"What could possibly make you high?"

 

"Just a few neurotoxins, I think. I was memorizing and absorbing different chemical compounds so I can use them freely in fights. Apparently, my body doesn't do everything passively." He says with a grin. 

 

Is my vision off? Why is his face so blurry?

 

"Ok. So that's what that smell is. How about you take a nice long bath. Have some fun with your new pet, she's back there somewhere. And when you're feeling better, you can meet us for lunch." Gwen says, pulling me away from him.

 

"I love youuu."

 

"I love you too, babe. Now hurry along."

 

"Brother! Me and Gwen we're discussing your secretary's past. What would you do if she cheated on you too?"

 

"I wouldn't let someone near me keep such a weak character, but say it did happen, then I'll make sure every Hell I know starves for souls. Demons should know to stay clear of my circle." He grins maniacally. 

 

Brother starts to walk down the hallway, but he stumbles and falls down in two separate directions. There's two off them?

 

"Gwen, what's going on?" I ask.

 

"Quantum superposition, I think. He did something similar before at my parent's house." What does that even mean?

 

"So how do we wake him up and turn him back to normal?"

 

"We don't. What we do, is go around the two dumb assess full of chemicals and we come back when he's better."

 

Suddenly, the not vampire is back in the room, looking at brother's two bodies. "What happened to Master?"

 

"Put both of these in cold water baths." Gwen tells her.

 

"We really should stay and watch over him." I tell Gwen.

 

"We can't do that. Imagine if you got sick and died from the trace chemicals he's full of. He would never forgive himself, he would be broken. You don't want to do that to him, do you?"

 

"You know you're secretly a real bitch right?" Just like my mother.

 

"That's why he fell for me first."

 

"Narcissism much?"

 

-------

 

I hate school. I hate having to share my brother. I hate the fact that I only get to see him a couple of hours a day.

 

Liz sits down next to me, takes my lunch tray away from me and replaces it with an iced coffee and sandwich.

 

"Nia, we agreed that if you weren't going to eat healthy, then you at least have to eat something tasty. No school lunch."

 

"Thanks." I take a sip of the coffee.

 

"What's wrong? You've been sulking all day. If anything, you should be ecstatic. You're finally with your brother, what you've wished for your whole life, what I wished for like so many others. Yet there hasn't been a single smile on your face today. You didn't even laugh at Lily's joke of the day."

 

"That's because she's not funny."

 

"Don't let her hear you say that. Does it have something to do with Gwen?"

 

"I told you, I'm fine."

 

"Yes, you sure do look fine, but you're not ok. But I guess I can't bully it out of you, so I'll just text Tyler about your slump."

 

"No! He doesn't need to be bothered."

 

"Oh, so it's about him. Do you miss seeing him at school, or are you still hung up on sharing him?"

 

"He's just not around very often. And even when he is, he's not really there. His head is off somewhere else. It's like he just takes rests in between working. I don't know, it's like he's...getting farther way and I have no way of catching up."

 

"Yeah, I kinda get that feeling. My dad was always like that. I'm guessing Gwen feels a similar way?"

 

"Yeah, but she's decided to embrace it."

 

"Does she...sleep around on him?"

 

"No. She would never do that, and I would never let her. She lets him sleep around, more like pressures him into it."

 

"She makes him sleep around? With whom? Is it a fetish?"

 

"With people he works with. And no, as much as I want to believe that it's just a fetish for her, it's not. She's accepted that other, more aggressive and more capable women will come into his life, she just wants to be number one in his heart. I shouldn't be telling you this."

 

"I'm pretty capable and aggressive. She should have pushed him over to me, her friend."

 

"You're pretty capable at gossip, backstabbing, and bathroom blowjobs. And I know even you don't think getting your nails done together actually makes you friends."

 

"I told you, I made mistakes and I've changed. You don't have any right to call me a whore since you kept me from Tyler."

 

"And lions wish they could be giraffes. Which guys are you bouncing in between? Henry Osborn or Flash Thompson?"

 

"Neither. And I don't want to go back to that. You can be a real bitch, you know?"

 

"...sorry. I'm just not feeling so great, and I'm more than a little resentful."

 

"I know. It's not like I didn't act like that, but I'm working on it. How about you make it up to me by coming to a party I'm having?"

 

"Who's going to be there?"

 

"It'll be a small friend group of mine. Mostly girls, but there might be a few guys there too. It'll be really tame, like a movie night. You can even bring Tyler with you for like a little date."

 

"Sure."

 

"Alright, I'll text you the details later."

 

"Hey, are you free tonight?"

 

"Yeah, what do you need?"

 

"It's a secret unless you say yes."

 

"Is it dangerous?"

 

"Maybe. Probably. Yeah, it's a pretty dumb thing to do."

 

"What do I get out of it?"

 

"The joy of helping out a childhood friend?"

 

"You did just basically call me a whore." That's because you are one.

 

"How about a job working for my brother? He pays pretty well and he needs people he knows."

 

"What would I be doing?"

 

"I don't know, talk to him about. Are you in?"

 

"Sure. Now what are we doing?"

 

"Just a little something that will keep my brother around more often. Meet me at my family's grave at 10:00 p.m. You might want to pray beforehand."

 

"I always wanted to do some grave robbing."

 

"We're not robbing anyone's grave." Not technically.

 

-------

 

"Hello! Anyone home? Brother?" Nope, why would he be here when none of his girlfriends are. Just leave your sister all alone.

 

I go to the kitchen to get a snack and—

 

"Nia."

 

"Ahhh!!!"

 

Brother is sitting on the couch with his eyes closed. Next to him are two five-gallon buckets.

 

"Sit down Nia." I go over and sit across from him.

 

"I called out for you."

 

"Sorry." He opens his eyes. I wanna kiss him. "It's just hard keeping two bodies sober. I'm a little busy right now, somewhere else." So now you're literally somewhere else when you're here.

 

"So you can make multiple bodies now, that's cool."

 

"Yeah. I didn't even think it would be possible with my current abilities, but I guess I can. I can briefly do three, but even just the two is...head-splitting to say the least. Don't get any ideas about double-teamed by me, having two bodies close by is not possible right now." That's a good idea.

 

"Don't worry, I won't ask you to do something like that." Yet.

 

"Ok. Well, here's the ten gallons you asked my servant for. Sorry about the mess she caused, I'll—" He freezes and his body buzz violently while becoming see-through.

 

"Brother?"

 

"—discipline her properly."

 

"You just froze and became see-through."

 

"As I said, it's difficult and I'm trying to get better at it. I just need to know what you're doing with all this."

 

"Well, I...mostly consume it as a...drug."

 

"So this helps you overcome your extreme withdrawal symptoms, correct? And does this work as a placebo or a literal drug?"

 

"Correct. And both."

 

"And why do you need so much? You're not consuming it nutritionally, right?"

 

"It's mostly a sacrificial magical component."

 

"I assume this has some stuff to do with mom and whatnot, but I don't have time to get into it. Last question, was that ownership contract binding?"

 

"No." But it will be soon.

 

"Okay, then I'm out for now. Stay safe and call me if you need help." He gets up, kisses me on the cheek, and then poof, he's gone.

 

And once again, he runs away from me. But it's alright. After this one ritual, I'll get a chance to run off with him. As long as she agrees to help…

 

-------

 

*THUD*

 

"What the hell is in this bucket? Why do we need it? And why aren't you carrying it?" Liz whines.

 

I hate this place. It feels like I'm always being watched when I come here. That and the crickets make spending time here unbearable.

 

"It's a magical liquid. We're going to do some crazy ritual and you're carrying it because my brother would be mad if I strained my arms."

 

"Pfff. We're just here to vandalize your mom's grave."

 

"If that's what you want to believe."

 

"She was really nice to me."

 

"That's because you're pretty and female."

 

"I don't understand why you hate her."

 

"I don't hate her. Now shut and grab a shovel. You promised to help, so help." I grab a shovel and Liz joins me in digging up my mother's grave.

 

An hour or so goes by and we finally manage to get to my mother's grave. I uncover it from the dirt and try to pry open the lid, only to fall back on exhaustion.

 

"I broke a nail," Liz whines.

 

"You should've used weaker glue, it would've just fallen off." I gasp.

 

"That defeats the whole purpose."

 

"Hold on. Let me catch a breather."

 

"Okay. Just a minute, though." We have to get this ritual started before midnight.

 

"Say, Nia."

 

"Hmm?"

 

"You know I already deleted the photos of your brother, right?"

 

"What would your mom think? I doubt she would like her daughter giving up quality blackmail."

 

"I've been thinking about what I've been doing these last few years, and I've decided that I want more out of life than fun gossip and parties. I want to actually be unique."

 

"Good for you."

 

"I'm sorry for asking out your brother when we agreed I wouldn't do that. I betrayed our friendship, and I'm really glad you've forgiven me."

 

"I wasn't mad that you asked him out when we were younger. I was jealous, extremely jealous, but not mad."

 

"Why then?"

 

"Because you asked out other guys. And soon enough, you just loaned yourself out like a whore for attention, and it wasn't even about making my brother jealous anymore."

 

"...maybe I should go."

 

"It's ok, Liz. Let's just finish what we're doing here, then we can go have some fun afterwards."

 

"I don't know why I agreed to do this. How will I even look at Tyler after I dug up his mother's grave?"

 

"My brother isn't that sentimental anymore. Plus, after we're done here, he'll be thanking you. Trust me. You could ask him for anything you want."

 

"Like a date?"

 

"I was thinking more along the lines of a one-night stand, but sure, if that's what you want."

 

"So we really are doing a magic ritual."

 

"That's what I told you."

 

"Are we bringing your mom back?"

 

"...Hopefully. This is the first time I'm doing a ritual on my own."

 

"You've raised the dead before with her?"

 

"No. This is also my first time doing this."

 

"Do you know what you're doing?"

 

"I think so."

 

"I always knew you were a witch." I'm not, but thanks, I guess.

 

"On the count of 3." We put our shovels under the lid of the coffin and get ready to pry it open."

 

"1...2...3." 

 

We pry open the coffin and black dust clouds the air. We look down inside to see it full of black ash.

 

"I thought you had an ordinary burial for her."

 

"We did." The priest I hired just did his job afterwards.

 

I grab the bucket we brought, remove the lid, and slowly pour the liquid into the coffin.

 

"Oh God. That smell. What is that?"

 

"I told you, it's a magical liquid."

 

"That's semen, isn't it?"

 

"You would know."

 

"How many people did you need to get for that? Hugh… I think...Hugh...I'm gonna barf."

 

"Just the one. That's partly what makes it magical. Barf to the side please, I don't know what will happen if you contaminate the ritual."

 

Liz vomits her dinner in a bush while I finish pouring the liquid. Once I finish, I stand up, take out a pocket knife, and slice open my palm, letting my blood drip into the coffin.

 

"Dear Mother O' Mine. I call you back from the grave to resume your sacred duty." Please mom. For once, help me out.

 

"Are you sure that's the right chant? Seems kinda basic."

 

"You're basic…Please, mom, Tyler misses you and he's asking questions I don't have answers to. I'm sorry for trying to hog him like you always told me not to, but I've agreed to share him. He might even accept it if you decide to join."

 

 

"Please mom…" I can't keep brother around without you.

 

"Maybe it just needs some time to work, Nia. Let's get your hand bandaged up and we can wait awhile." Liz comes up behind me and grabs my hand lightly, pulling me over to a tree.

 

I watch my mother's grave for activity while Liz bandages my hand.

 

"So you being a witch and all, how long have you known about some of the stuff just coming out?"

 

"Since before I could talk."

 

"Then what's the world really like? News story after story of the supernatural and super beings start coming out one day. Like a switch was turned on. Sometimes I can't tell if I'm dreaming or awake."

 

"I mostly know two things, my mom told me both of them. If you can think of it, it exists, somewhere, somehow. And belief shapes reality. If you have questions about that kind of stuff, you can ask my mom or my brother."

 

"Is he a witch too?"

 

"He doesn't know about this, mom wanted to hide it from him until he graduated. But he'll probably find out soon. Either when he demands to know the next time I see him, or when I tell him willingly."

 

"How about your dad?"

 

"He was my mom's pawn. I don't know much about him other than he was a second generation immigrant from Africa, that part was true when I told you."

 

"Is it true?"

 

"Is what true?"

 

"That he regretted having you."

 

"Yes. And I'm glad he did. But I'm pretty sure he mostly regretted ever meeting my mom in the first place...she was not kind to him away from my brother."

 

"Sorry."

 

"You've heard this too many times to feel sorry for me again. I'm fine with it. I've had my brother by my side since I was born, that's something my mother never got to enjoy."

 

"No. It's just that you lie so much, I was hoping—"

 

"That I built the other half of our friendship on a lie? I'm not creative enough to come up with so many things about my parents to complain to you about."

 

"Well, can you really blame me?" She asks as she finished wrapping my hand.

 

"I don't, I just—"

 

"Do you hear that?"

 

"Hear what?"

 

"The insects, the city...it's dead."

 

*BOOM*

 

Purple and black flame explode out from my mom's grave, lighting the graveyard in an arcane glow.

 

"Mom?!"

 

"Sorry girl, your Mommy can't come right now." A young man in a blood-red suit with a disgusting grin on his face says from beside a free. When did he get here?

 

"Who...who are you?"

 

"Unfortunately, the current owner of your mother's soul. Other than that, you don't need to know." He grins mischievously.

 

"She belongs to my brother."

 

"Ahh, yes, your family does have that disgusting little practice. But since her and your brother never made a contract, the ownership of her soul is given to my by default of some many countless bloodlines in your veins."

 

"What do you want?"

 

"Firstly, to convey my congratulations on the birth of the first male heir to your family in a millenium. Everyone in the underworld thought for sure that your family would finally die with your mother, but I, I believed. I made quite the profit from those bets." He chuckles.

 

"Cut the chatter, demon spawn."

 

"Little girl, demons spawn from me, just so you know. And is that any real way to talk to the holder of your mother's soul, or the life of your friend?"

 

"Liz!" Where is she? "What did you do to her?"

 

"Hahaha...ha. The look in your face...I haven't done anything to her, I saved her life even, both of yours. I've placed you both in a barrier to protect you from your spell, you were supposed to do that on your own. Netherworld energies and whatnot. This is a vision."

 

"Why would you help me?"

 

"Because if you die, then I have to take my business to that...Thing, that currently inhabits your brother."

 

"What do you mean?"

 

"Don't tell me you haven't noticed how differently he acts? I can tell, just from what my minions see, he's cunning to say the least. Whatever took over him, ripped quite a few holes in order to get here. You're lucky that this plane still exists." He must be talking about the soul brother fused with.

 

"I don't know about all that reality stuff, but my brother is as wonderful as ever."

 

"Sure...well, back to business, I don't want to spend any more time in New York than I have to. I've come to make a deal with you. Your mother's soul for the ownership of a demon currently held by your family."

 

"I don't know of a demon owned by my family, who is this demon?"

 

"Well, obviously it's female, because it's your family that owns it. But you don't need to know who or where, or really anything. All you need to do, is sign. And I will take care of the rest." With a burst of red fire, a parchment and pen appear in his hands.

 

I cautiously grab the parliament and read its contents.

 

"I'll kill you if you backstab me with this contract." I tell him.

 

"You couldn't do a thing to me, but I wouldn't want to earn the ire of your brother. Or keep your mother any longer for that matter. Now hurry up and sign the damn thing."

 

Taking one last look at the contract, I sign it and it vanishes in a puff of flame. I look around and find Liz with her back against a tree, covering her arms.

 

"Nia…where did you go?" She throws her arms around me in a bear hug while sobbing.

 

"Nowhere, you just had a hallucination." I assure her.

 

I look over at my mother's grave to find the fire still burning bright as ever, but much more chaotically. Then a pale white hand with long red fingernails appears and a nude woman woman pulls herself up from the ground. Her skin is a pale white like my mother's, but her eyes...they're completely purple, no white or iris to be seen. And her hair is the same blinding white as her skin.

 

"Mom?" She looks at me, then looks back at the grave she climbed out of. She snaps her fingers and the purple flames disappear in an instant.

 

"How many gallons did you use?" She asks.

 

"Five."

 

"TCH. Three gallons extra. Though it is impressive that you managed to summon me at all, let alone with a half-assed chant."

 

"What happened to you?"

 

"Well, I died, obviously. But then some priest prayed in front of my grave and turned my old body to ash. No doubt at your behest. Now I have to craft a new one from scratch." She waves her hand and clothes appear on her.

 

"I didn't—" I can't...I can't breathe.

 

"Don't lie to me, whore. I watched you after my death. I saw what you did to make sure I stayed in the ground. I saw the look of glee you had in your face while your brother cried in pain, like a bitch whose master plan came together. And I suppose it did, you managed to convince your worm of a father to drive us into traffic as his final act of defiance. It must have been you, because I know he didn't have the spine to do it himself. But most importantly, I watched as you raped my son. I knew I should've put you and your father down the moment he showed signs of getting frisky again."

 

"Ms.Riddle…"

 

"Oh Elizabeth!!! What a beautiful young woman you've become. I always thought you Tyler would look wonderful together. Tell me, do you still have a boyfriend?"

 

"No, I'm trying to get away from that. But can you—"

 

My lungs...

 

"Pity. How about your mother? Is she still happily married to your father?"

 

"Yes. Can—"

 

"That's wonderful news, I'm so happy for her. Why don't we set up a little dinner date where Tyler has dinner with you and your mom? Wait, no, I'm sure your father would want to see him too, why not invite him too?"

 

"That sounds great, but can you let Nia go?"

 

"Oh, I almost forgot." She waves her hand and I can breathe again.

 

*COUGH COUGH COUGH GASP*

 

"Do you mind walking away for a little bit Liz? I need to have a talk with my daughter."

 

Liz looks at me for approval, I nod to her. Then, with a little hesitation, she turns and flees. My mother waits for Liz to stop a ways away and look back before she addresses me.

 

"Now tell me, why did you bring me back? I know it wasn't because you missed me."

 

"I need--" *COUGH*

 

"Need...what?"

 

"I need you to teach me magic."

 

"What?"

 

"I need--"

 

"I heard what you said! I just have so many other questions? Why now and not one of the countless times I tried to teach you?"

 

"Because...things have changed. The world is more dangerous now, and   want to help my brother." 

 

"No. The world hasn't changed, you just finally realized that you need power, that you can't rely on the little wits you have to get what you want. But mommy can't save you this time."

 

"What do you mean?"

 

"Our bloodline has hardly any magic of its own. That's why we can only do rituals  with massive amounts of sacrificial ingredients. Every ounce of magic I have is stolen and I'm not giving what scraps I have to you."

 

"What...what can I do?"

 

"Something other than magic, that or steal some from somebody else. I never managed to kill off the false heir in England, so you could try to get it from him, though I doubt you'll survive."

 

"Will you at least hold my wedding ritual?"

 

"Not until I have my revenge. I'll have you watch every other woman off the street marry him before you do. You raped my son, and I don't care if he's forgiven you or not. If you want my son, then you'll have to pay in blood, sweat, and tears. And I won't die so easily this time. Now, what did you offer the demon in exchange for me?" She asks as she grips my chin.

 

"He wanted the ownership of a female demon."

 

"Haaa...figures that he would want his daughter back. And to think my son could have become the Devil, oh well." She releases me.

 

"...you're not mad?"

 

"Not about the demon, just disappointed...It was a pipe dream, really. Alright, get up. We should set up a family meeting, might as well summon your bastard of a father for it as well. Your brother will want explanations. Elizabeth!!! Come with us!!!" 

 

"Mom, please don't make so much noise."

 

"I can't wait to feel my son!" She claps giddily. 

 

Liz slowly walks back to me and helps me stand up. This won't be pretty.

 

=<=>=

38