Chapter 1 – Best 18th birthday ever…
1.6k 12 33
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.


11 Years ago

Hideo: “Hey dad?”
Dad: “Oh, hey. What are you doing up? You should be asleep.”
Hideo: “I had a bad dream...”
Dad: “Ah... is it about those monsters again? Come here, tell me about them.”

I run out to my dad and sit next to him on the couch.

Hideo: “Well...”
Dad: “Describe them to me.”
Hideo: “Err... their like... animals... but also human? They just chase me, endlessly and when they catch me, I wake up.”
Dad: “Ah, okay. You still wearing that talisman right? Never take it off.”

I move the talisman from under my shirt, over it to show dad.

Hideo: “I've had this since I was born right? Why?”

*Sigh* My dad sighs and moves over to the bookcase. He grabs what seems to be an old-ish book and sits back down.

Hideo: “A fantasy book?”
Dad: “What if I say it's not all fiction? There are creatures in this world looking for someone. That person is special... key to their survival.”
Hideo: “So... I'm that person?”
Dad: “Unfortunately... yes. Just as you were born, there was several attempted kidnapping on you. We didn't know what to do, but then one day. We got a package in the mail, in it contained that talisman with a note saying to always keep on the child and ever since... nothing has happened. We just think someone is looking out for you. It's suspicious I know, but we need to believe in something.
Hideo: “How long will it last? Usually small talismans like this don't last long, well according to some of my fantasy books.

Dad pauses and looks down.

Dad: “We... don't know...



Present.

???: “Oi, wake up!”
Hideo: “Ugh... 5 more minutes...”
???: “Now! You can have your “5 more minutes” tomorrow when you turn 18.”

I let out a heavy sigh.

Hideo: “Fine... I'll be down in a minute, dad.”
Dad: “Good, get a move on.”

As soon as my dad leaves, I get up from my bed and let out a yawn and stare at into the nearby mirror.
*Sigh*

I tuck my talisman back into my shirt.

Hideo: “Welp, time to get ready.”

After some time has past, I'm on my way to school. Nothing eventful really happens, never does, except this time I feel some stares, every now and then. Curious, I look around and notice no one then...

*BAM*

Hideo: “Oh shit. I'm sorry. I wasn't paying attention.”

I extend my hand out, to offer some help. I feel bad for bumping into a girl. Damn it.

Hideo “Here let me help you up.”
???: “I'm okay, don't worry”

She looks up at me. Making eye-to-eye contact.

???: “I'm fi...ne..."

Suddenly her cheeks grow red and instantly looks away.

Hideo: “You sure? You don't look okay?

I extend my hand a little closer. She moves away slightly and instantly jumps up to her feet.

???: “Ermm... Umm... I'm sorry! I'm in a rush! Bye Hideo!

I watch the girl bolt down the street. Wait...

Hideo: “Did I tell her my name?”



After-school

I swear school was strange today. It wasn't a normal day. During the whole day of school, I felt stares from all around me. Most of the time when I check around I see no one staring, but every once in a while I would notice one or two girls before they look away. Luckily it's time to go home, I'm kind of getting disturbed by the stares.

Even on the way home, still feel some stares. I try to ignore them on my why home. When I'm finally home, I quickly rush through the front door.

Hideo: “Dad! Hey, dad! You home!?”

I'm met with silence. I notice I slip of paper on the dining table.

Sorry son.
Been called away for work.
I'll be home tomorrow for your birthday.
I know you'll be 18 but... I'll bring cake. Never too old for cake.
Don't stay up too late, you hear.
Dad.

I let out a sigh.

Hideo: “Dammit dad, just when I need you.”

I sigh again and think for a second. After thinking what to do next, I waste no time in making sure doors and windows are locked. I also close any curtains just in case.



Night

It's quiet. I've been studying for hours, trying to get my mind distracted. I glance at the clock.

Hideo: “23:59, huh? Almost midnight... welp, time for bed!

After packing away my books, I glance at my clock again. 00:00... midnight... Happy Birthday me...

*Ding, Dong*

Someone here? At midnight? I cautiously walk up to front door. At this time, I wish we had a peephole, I sigh... Least we have a chain. I leave the chain latched between the door and door frame and cautiously open the door slightly.

I'm met face-to-face with a girl, who seems to be about the same age as me. She had black hair and red cat-like eyes and... are those ears? It's pretty obvious I should remain alert, who knows what she wants.

Hideo: “Err... c..can I help you?”

I get no reply. She looks deep into me eyes and smiles. Without warning, she grabs the chain that is between us and tears it down without any trouble. I stubble back and lose my balance. I look up from the floor and see the girl slowly walk over to me. She's still smiling...

Hideo: “Who...who are you!? What do you want!?”

She stops at my feet, never taking her eyes off me. She crouches down and leans closer to my face. Honestly if this wasn't maybe a life threatening situation, I would honestly find her mesmerizing. Dammit brain, this is no time to think that. Suddenly the uncomfortable silence is broken.

???: “Hideo, darling, your time has come.”
Hideo: “D..d..darling!? My time has come?”

I looks down and see the talisman over my shirt.

Hideo: “I see...”
???: Don't worry, everything will be explained in time. For now...

The girl leans close and gives me a long kiss. I was shocked. Why is she suddenly kissing me? But before I can think more on what's happening...

*Stab*

Huh!? I look down and see a knife directly in my stomach. The girl parts her lips from me and smiles.

I'm losing... consciousness... Everything is going dark...

???: “See you soon... Dar..ling”

What... is happening to... me?



 

What do you think?
  • Interested Votes: 99 97.1%
  • I'll pass Votes: 3 2.9%
Total voters: 102
33