Val-Li
1.9k 8 42
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

3 hours later, I'm being set free from my loving and kind Mother's merciful teachings. After having managed to turn her attention on that traitor I call a Father, I'm on my way to another headache waiting to happen. My last Science Guild evaluation of the year. If everything goes well, I'll be an official member by the end of the day.

Yea when does anything go well for me. Any minute now I expect something to blow up in my face before I can even make it to the guild.

'Well luckily I'm my mother's daughter, so I still have a back-up plan just in case they don't accept my original invention' I thought gazing at the mini reactor in the display case in my hands. What Father said is true, my interest is still primarily in my magi-tech, so of course, I'm going to try to be accepted with one of my more techno-mystical projects.

That said, I'm not stubborn enough to completely give up my chance at joining the guild just to prove something I'm already aware isn't going to receive the credit it deserves. Which is why I made this little reactor with pure science in the first place. That and I really didn't want another lesson from Mother to convert it to magi-tech. Though I wound up getting one anyway...

On the bright side, Mother ended up giving me a really good idea that will practically revolutionize our exploration and military efforts if everything pans out correctly. Just going to have to figure out which dimension provides energy similar to a yellow sun and how to keep the whole thing from overheating...

Whilst traveling, I couldn't help but think back to the lesson forced-, I mean gracefully imparted onto me by my mother.

Magic, Sorcery, Witchcraft, call it what you will but it really is interesting stuff once you get past the ten hour-long sessions on why this rune shouldn't be used in this spell, or why you don't draw energy from this dimension because a monster will try to eat your soul.

Yea, I'm not kidding about that last part, some of the exchanges required to use energy from some dimensions are pretty harsh. First rule of magic: There is always a price. No matter how small or insignificant, something must be paid. Considering magic allows one to bend and shape reality itself to their will, I'd say that's pretty fair.

That being said, in my opinion, far too many people only see magic as a potential weapon to be used or some kind of end all be all quick fix to all of their problems. Choosing to completely forsake advancement in other areas in favor of a more mystical solution.

Don't get me wrong, magic is interesting, but my interests lie in the potential uses of magic and technology coming together in harmony. Something that no one here on Krypton wants to recognize potential uses for in favor of the tried and true "If it's not broken don't fix it" rule.

It's just a fact that technology can only be taken so far. There are only so many ways you can combine elements and write a program before you reach a dead end. At least that's how it is on Krypton. Focusing solely on magic isn't much better in that regard since having seemingly endless possible solutions to even the most basic problems in the palm of your hand can start making people far too complacent, lazy, and if I'm being honest, egotistical. A fact perfectly demonstrated when the old Wizards of Juru failed to take over Kandor.

Mother gets pretty exasperated when talking about that little incident. I really don't know what the previous Sorcerer supreme was thinking when he allowed Father and the rest of the military a day after the initial confrontation to prepare a counteroffensive. He had basically already won at that point and had most of the council hostage yet still chose to demonstrate the futility of resistance.

Well, he paid for it by getting banished to some mystical place or another by Mother who was apparently dissatisfied with his methods or something. Honestly I never really cared that much about that story. Even Mother kind of glosses over the whole thing like she just wants to put the entire episode behind her.

'I don't blame her, the guy sounds like an idiot.' I muse as I finally approach the city center and square that houses the now 'five' guilds of Krypton, all neatly located surrounding a statue depicting the sun god Rao in his flaming glory.

I always find it rather fascinating to see the diversity when I come here. It's rather easy to tell what each guild deals with even if it's your first time coming here. All the soldiers coming from their sunstone fortress, gathering up in squads before patrolling the streets.

The Artists Guild, who uses the theater house as an HQ is always surrounded by performers of all kinds when an event isn't being held. The Religious Guild usually keeps to themselves in the temple but there's always at least one priest (or Raoist as they've tried to stress time again) near the fountain reading off scriptures for anyone willing to listen.

The more recently installed Sorcery Guild used to hold themselves up in their weird spire tower thingy, but in recent years have been seen hovering around more often. Literally. Some of them just decide to float around everywhere for some reason. I don't see them doing much so I can only assume it's so they can look down on the helpless peons from above. They're all a bunch of pretentious jerks if you ask me.

'It's not like I'm jealous Mother won't teach me any flying spells or anything' I internally pout at the odd punishment for not focusing during lectures as I finally walk up to the last guild house. The Science Guild, also known as the source of my frustrations given physical manifestation. A place teeming with as many idiots as there are members. Well, almost as many idiots. Kara managed to get in a few years back so there has to be at least someone with a good egghead on their shoulders.

'I wonder who'll be evaluating me this time' I idly ponder as I approach the desk, weaving through the laborers going about their rather mundane daily lives. Though, they've been much busier with repairs lately with all the seismic quaking occurring more frequently these last few months.

"Yes, how can I help you!?" The eager receptionist questioned before I even had a chance to go off on another internal tangent.

"Thara Kal-El, scheduled evaluation," I replied rather monotonously to her enthusiasm. It's not a trait I'm proud of but when dealing with people I don't know I can get rather blunt and cold outwardly. Kara says it's a defense mechanism or something but I think she's reading too much into it. I just don't have much to say to strangers. Nothing defensive about that.

"Yes, we have you scheduled next. You're a little early so you can relax in the waiting room while the person in front of you to finishes before heading in." She acknowledged while handing me a one-time use card. This time much more subdued. 'Probably realized I won't set her up on a date with a married man' You'd be surprised how many women have asked over the years. Especially when I was younger and appeared more impressionable I guess. The efforts to get on my good side were intense back then.

"Thank you." Always be polite even to those in a lower position than you. Another lesson Mother drilled in pretty early on. You never know when you'll need a favor from someone. Just one less reason for them to refuse you.

I walk to the elevator and insert the card and watch as it goes to the preselected floor for me. Another one of Father's genius security ideas to prevent people from going to unauthorized areas. I'm sure I could have thought of something similar. Maybe I can even improve the idea with some divination enchantments or something. I'll add it to the list and get around to it eventually.

Sigh, I should really stop trying to one-up Father like this. There are so many different things I could be working on instead of trying to rehash something he's already done.

'Doesn't mean I'm taking it off the list though' I finish and the elevator quickly opens up to the waiting area and I'm unfortunately greeted by the current bane of my existence. A person I can only assume just finished their own evaluation meeting, and judging by that smug face he has plastered on right now, I can only surmise things went well for him.

"Hello, Val-Li" Just my luck

42