The Great Savior
2k 4 49
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Kal-El. It's a name that I often feel conflicted after hearing.

Belonging to the noble house El, the oldest existing house remaining on Krypton, Kal-El was the first natural birth in centuries on Krypton. Son of the scientists Jor-El and Lara-El formerly Lor-Van, Kal was a very controversial birth during a time when Kryptonians had abandoned such practices in favor of more artificial means. And by abandoned, I mean completely outlawed. Born a criminal, how's that for a resume.

Jor-El, his father, sought to show Krypton the error of its ways through Kal. You see, on Krypton, everyone is assigned a function at birth. Completely decided for you before you were even conceived. You were then bred to reach the pinnacle of your role, soldiers are stronger, scientists are smarter, etc. etc. all for the good of Krypton.

Jor-El however saw this as a chain holding Krypton back from true advancement. Although genetically engineered to be the best in their field, Kryptonians in return are rather inflexible because of it. Unable to think outside of their assigned task. Well, at least not in any meaningful way.

But Kal was different. He was born to be different. A fact I find rather ironic considering he was supposed to be born to do whatever he wants yet also born to fulfill a task assigned to him by someone else. But regardless, Kal was who he was because he wanted to be so I guess it doesn't matter much.

Kal was originally supposed to be killed at birth but somehow Jor-El managed to convince the bunch of idiots on the law council after receiving an unexpected vote from the Religious Guild to allow Kal to prove himself to the world.

And prove himself he did. To the point that people practically won't shut up about him. I mean so what if the guy revolutionized the somewhat stagnant Science Guild with his invention of liquid geo at only the age of 12. Is it really a big deal he managed to single handedly stop a coup led by one of the greatest military generals in Kryptonian history, Dru-Zod and trapped him and his crew in the phantom zone. I'm sure anyone could have fought off the infamous planet stealer Vril Dox A.K.A Brainiac after he tried to steal one of the last remaining cities on Krypton. And I'm positive eventually, someone would have brokered peace between the last remaining cities of Krypton and the mysterious Wizards of Juru. Whom were unfairly banished tens of thousands of years ago and yet still somehow managed to retain a grudge strong enough to try and take over the last remaining city, Kandor after over mining caused the rest of krypton to become uninhabitable. Hmph! I'm sure he only did that last one because he was sleeping with one of the witches.

You know I never really noticed but we've lost a lot of cities over the years huh. Well, give it a few days I'm sure the great savior will think of something.

Sigh. The great savior, huh. Hero to the people. True son of Krypton. Man of Steel. So many stupid titles and the one I'm stuck with calling him is...

"Ugh! Father, could you help me with this experiment? I can't seem to figure out what's going wrong here!" I practically screamed in exhaustion. I've been at this desk for the past 16 hours now and I've made no progress on what should have been a simple miniaturized fusion reactor core. You know, kids stuff.

"Of course! Anything for my little sweetie, just finished setting the phantom drive on the ship. Also, when are you going to start calling me papa like you used too? You're breaking my heart sweetie." He asked with mock grief that was betrayed by that goofy looking smile on his face. Did I mention he's a bit of a doofus? I honestly don't know where he gets it from, probably from those Asgardians he mentioned meeting once.

Honestly, he's not like this in public. Although he was never one to pull off the stoic Kryptonian facade like the rest of them, he at least acts mature and dignified when others are around. He's like a completely different person at home.

He walks over and takes a look at my little project I've been trying to finish for the last few weeks before the deadline. Basically only taking a glance at it before immediately telling me what I was doing wrong.

"Ah, I see the problem. You need a different electron source if you're going to go about it using pure science. Didn't you want to start looking into that magi-tech as you dubbed it? I'm sure your mother has some sort of enchantment that would be easier to work with." He asked with an eyebrow raised. I instinctively looked in the opposite direction and refused to answer. I didn't want to tell him I was too intimidated to ask Mother for another lesson. She can blend strict and passionate something fierce when it comes to magic. Which usually means I'd be stuck listening to one of her lectures until I can repeat what she said forwards and backward ten times perfectly.

Just remembering the last lecture on the different forms of conjuration made me shiver and judging by the amused chuckle I heard afterward I'm sure he's already guessed my motives behind my silence. I swear that woman can hear six times the distance a normal Kryptonian can, because she always knows when someone is bad talking about her. She's probably a closet sadist considering how Father acts when she gets upset. It only just occurred to me she's likely using a simple scry spell set to trigger when her name is mentioned in certain locations. Rather genius application to defend against plots in the dark behind her back. One thing mother knows best is caution. Hmm? Doesn't Mother know telepathy enchantments as well? I guess I'll find out pretty soon.

"Hehe, well it's alright if you want to do things the old fashioned way." He said with a wink after I turned back to him. "Here, why don't you try using Palladium instead and see how that works?" He said handing me some liquid Palladium kept in one of my enchanted bottles. Another one of my inventions that practically received no recognition by the Science Guild due to its mystical nature. Fun little things those bottles are. They can change the temperature of anything stored inside of them and keep it there no matter the environment. Not too many uses in magic aside from alchemy, though considering the branch practically died off due to the limited resources on Krypton it might as well have no uses. But, I figured those eggheads at the guild would appreciate having ready to use resources at the hand whenever they wanted. They're shatter resistant, and use illusion enchantments to display exactly what's happening on the inside of them as well as the current temperature all while the outside stays cool to the touch!

I was pretty proud of it but just like everything else, it just wasn't good enough.

Lost in my thoughts I was only brought back to reality with the slight hum and blue glow lit up my workstation. I couldn't help the smile that grew on my face at the sight. I'd been working on this little gadget for a few weeks now as a possible backup generator or miniaturized power source for either a weapon or maybe for the exploration ship I think dad is building for some reason. It's small and compact enough to not get in the way and provides enough power to at least keep emergency systems running on the larger ships. And because of its size, multiple could be stored in a small space for extended periods of time! Easily giving the crew enough power to last until other options are available whether that be repairs or waiting for evac. It also gives off little to no heat at all! Yea I don't really get along with heat and fire after this weird dream I've been having on and off. Especially since I started being hounded by the Religious Guild not long after about some prophecy. Let me tell you, Kryptonian inflexibility combined with religion is a quick way to get onto someone's bad side.

But enough of that, my reactor actually works!

"Wow, would you look at that," Father said with the same gentle smile that's ever present in my memory. "I'm so proud of you sweetie, I knew you could do it." He said placing his rather large hand on my head. I could feel my cheeks heating up at what I hoped was well deserved praise. Despite what I may have said earlier, make no mistake, I love my father. He's just as much my hero as he is everyone else's. He may be a bit awkward and goofy but he makes me proud to wear the symbol of house El on my chest. Even if I'll never tell him that. It's too embarrassing!

It's just... like his hand gently patting my long black hair, Father's shadow is rather large as well. It's hard sometimes, you know? Being the daughter of someone so great. It's a lot to live up to and when you're constantly reminded of that everywhere you go, it starts to wear on you. I think Kara said the saying was "never meet your heroes" but I feel it's worse being related to them.

"Do you think it will be enough to get accepted into the guild?" I asked in a voice smaller than I would have liked. I couldn't help it. This was my last chance to be accepted. Well not really my last chance, I could always try again next year. But, it's my last chance to be accepted before I am older than Father was when he joined.

I don't know if Father knew about my one sided rivalry with him or if he even cared for that matter, but I absolutely couldn't do worse than him again. Both for my own psyche as well as all the future natural-born Kryptonians. If I can't prove Father wasn't an exception perhaps I'll never be free of those eyes full of expectations and slight glares of disgust and disappointment that constantly greet me on the streets of Kandor.

I'll admit I was slightly disappointed when he removed his hand from my head and placed both on my shoulders while looking at me with those same crystal blue eyes I have. "Sweetie, I want you to know I'll always be proud of you. No matter what those old fools at the guild think. So long as you keep being yourself and strive to do your best, I'll always have your back. Until my last breath, I promise to be there for you." He said gently but firmly and I couldn't help the slight water that came to my eyes. In the end, I guess he's the one I want to prove myself to the most. I want him to be able to hold his head high when people say my name. Completely unashamed with pride like the symbol we wear on our chest.

"Besides, even if those old fools turn you down, is that going to stop you from trying again?" He said with that mirthful tone of his that's become all too common for me over the years.

"Hmph! Of course not! As if I'd let one loss keep me down!" I couldn't help saying after hearing that teasing tone. I have my own pride as well you know! I may be knocked down but I'll keep getting back up as many times as it takes until I succeed. One day I'll move out from under his admittedly huge shadow. I'll stumble and fall but I'll try and try again.

One day the world will know my name. Not as the daughter of the savior but as a symbol of hope for a better tomorrow. Just like the symbol house El wears so proudly. I'm going to forge a path for others to follow behind. Just like Papa I mean Father does. The world will know the name

"Thara~ a little birdy told me you wanted another 'Lecture' was it?" A voice full of amusement interrupted my little self pep talk and I couldn't help but shiver at the eyes that greeted me which clearly weren't as amused as her voice. Guess that answers the telepathy question.

I'm only just now realizing Father has mysteriously vanished from in front of me and is now looking anywhere but my general direction.

So much for always having my back.

49