Evaluation Meeting
1.6k 1 37
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Val-Li. Same age as me, 12. Typical black hair and steel gray eyes. Rather handsome with a strong chin like most Kryptonian men though I only think that way objectively. Born to house Li, another one of Krypton's noble houses, they've had a bit of a one-sided rivalry with house El for a few centuries now. Nothing serious, just some harmless one-upmanship. Grandfather used to say competition is good since it promotes growth and a desire to do better.

I might agree if they weren't so insufferable about it. Always lording any victory they have over our heads like they were the chosen of Rao themselves. Not to mention trying to make everything a competition of some sort then practically throwing a tantrum once they lose.

Val-Li specifically likes to take things further than that and actively sabotage any effort I make in anything he perceives as a challenge. In simpler terms, he's my bully.

I'd honestly be amused at the thought of someone with my pedigree having one if I weren't the one being messed with. Of course, both Father and Mother are aware of my little problem, and how to handle it is one of the few things they actively disagree with.

Father wants to get involved himself and teach the little punk a lesson while Mother says it's a chance to build character and learn how to deal with problems myself. Which I, unfortunately, agreed with. I don't want to rely on others forever. I want to be able to stand on my own feet and have others look to me for guidance.

"Well if it isn't the mutt of house El. Come to showcase yet another failure" he said in that condescending tone that I hate so much. Did I mention that house Li is also composed of a bunch of loyalist council bootlickers?

I take it back, can someone else deal with him.

"Correct as usual Val," I say plainly. This month's solution to deal with him is compliance. Maybe if I just agree with him and let him finish talking he will move on to hopefully more important things quicker and not waste my time. Considering he's about to open his mouth again I don't have much hope in this tactic.

"But of course," he said rather smugly, clearly pleased with my half-hearted attempt to stroke his ego. This however might be a problem, I already see him eying my reactor. I'd be lucky if he only dismisses it this time instead of trying to "test it's durability" as he puts it. Not good at all. I need a distraction. Operation: Ego Boost is a go.

"What about you Val. I assume things have gone rather well this time, yes?" I expertly divert his attention as I slowly start to walk around him. Keeping my reactor the furthest away from his reach as possible without arousing suspicion.

"Indeed, as you can tell by my insignia I've managed to officially secure my position in the guild. It was only a matter of time before I had but I managed to exceed expectations and made it in a whole year before originally projected. Well, house Li is known for overcoming the odds so perhaps it was within expectations after all." He went on proudly. Clearly in a good mood over his most recent success.

'Just keep him talking, he likes to hear his own voice.' Before I can get further away and try to buy a little more time, I feel his hand on my shoulder.

Sigh, nothing is ever easy, is it?

"Is that your latest 'attempt' at failure?" he says with a level of disdain I'm personally surprised can come from a child other than myself. I don't like that look in his eyes. I really didn't expect to run into him here. And though I hid my first project in a separate space, with Mother's lecture I didn't really have time to put my reactor away as well before I left.

This is already my back-up guarantee that I get in. I can't have it destroyed just yet. Maybe I should lie and say I'm bringing it for my father? But I already said I was here for my evaluation! Stupid mouth of mine, why did I agree with him!? Note to self, compliance only complicates things.

If I do lie I'd have to sacrifice my original idea. My storage space doesn't have much in it at the moment since I don't usually need to carry much around so I only have my other project to give up. Ugh, what should I do? Give up my pride or my chance at success?

Fight back? Yeah, no. I'm not the military type no matter how much Father tries to stress the necessity of such skills. Though I'm finally starting to see what he means. I'll ask him to continue Klurkor lessons when I get back. There's nothing wrong with being stronger.

The grip on my shoulder increases in strength as it seems he's become annoyed with my lack of response. This isn't going to end well either way and I'm not stupid enough to give up the chance for naturally birthed Kryptonians to receive recognition in the future. It's nothing too special anyway, just an energy focus.

"Miss El? You can enter now." Just before I corrected him and took out my first project we were interrupted by one of the little helper bots roaming around this place.

"It seems I must be going. Another time Val-Li" I shook my shoulder free and went to walk through the door. There was this strange look in his eye before I left that I couldn't recognize nor care about. I'm just thankful I got away before anything happened.

I stepped into the room I've been in a few times now with confidence and took a quick glance before all that confidence almost completely faded. Just my luck, of course 'he' would be one of my evaluators today.

"Miss El, back again I see" Cal-La, the current leader of the guild so expertly observed upon my entrance. Man, I really can't catch a break today. Cal-La isn't the worst guy in the world, he's just a bit stuck in his ways as Father puts it. Unfortunately for me, that means he dismisses practically everything I do because it breaks tradition.

"Be nice Cal. You know not to intimidate the examinees. Thara it's good to see you again." Nadira, the woman next to him, reproached sternly before turning to me smiling gently. I'll never understand how he managed to woo such an attractive woman like her. Long flowing red hair and gentle blue eyes, she's a real beauty here even by Kryptonian standards. And considering most Kryptonians are genetically engineered to be 'perfect' that's saying something.

"Hello, Auntie Nadira" Auntie Nadira has always been kind to me and is very good friends with Mother. Another relationship I don't quite understand since Mother comes off cold and difficult to approach in public. Maybe Auntie is a masochist? Or she might secretly like magic as well? She always did seem interested when I brought in something new.

"Yes, yes now that the greetings are out of the way can we hurry this along? I still have other projects to get through today." A bored but hurried voice interjects in our little reunion. The third seat is occupied by a man I'm unfamiliar with, which makes sense I guess. Judging by his tone I can imagine he's the type to stay held up in his lab for long periods of time.

"Very well. So, Thara, as this isn't your first evaluation we already know you have the theoretical knowledge mastered. So, as a favor to Tor-Vex, we'll skip that part and move straight on to the practical demonstration. What do you have for us today?" Auntie Nadira helpfully continued while curiously looking at my reactor. I'm glad she did, knowing Cal-La he would most likely say something demeaning while hurrying me along.

"Yes, I brought in two this time. I call the first the Illumimatrix" I say having already prepared the spell to take the little ring out of my storage. I really need to work on speeding my casting times up.

"That's it? Seems pretty useless." Cal-La says oh so helpfully before I can even begin to explain its many uses.

"Cal! No interruptions until the presentation is over! Sorry dear, please continue." Auntie Nadira glared at him before urging me to continue. Although seeing the man, I believe she called Tor, yawning as well is a real blow to my confidence.

Maybe I should just stick to my reactor.

NO! It's too late to worry about it now. If things don't go well then I'll use it as a backup but I'm sure they will change their minds once I start explaining things!

Right? I clear my throat before continuing.

"Although the device is rather small, I assure you it can do a great many things. Firstly and most simply it can function as a communication device for other wearers of the ring." I say while putting it on my middle finger.

"Next its primary function. it's able to harness and contain a variety of potential energy sources that its user can wield. For us Kryptonians that would be the solar energy we absorb. Enabling us to control our abilities better on planets with a yellow sun." I had noticed that Father seemed to be building a ship of some kind, and considering the state of the planet, I assume we are about to enter a new age of exploration. This will be the perfect device to allow us to acclimate to new planets without being overloaded.

"It also allows for the storage of different kinds of energy. Which would enable us to store solar energy for longer periods of time to be used on other planets with more inhospitable environments, such as our own." This was one of Mother's ideas as she said there are plenty of planets that don't have yellow suns out there so being able to store said energy for a while would let us move around more freely. It also led to her giving me the idea to somehow build a solar generator when she saw my reactor earlier today. It would almost invalidate that function of my ring but the control aspect should still come in handy.

"It might have other effects when given to different races that use different energy I'm not entirely sure. But most importantly it can also inhibit said energy depending on the user. As such can even be used as a compact restraining device, although that can be enlarged and made separately if necessary." There was the problem of getting it onto someone's finger but it's simple enough to just enlarge the thing into cuffs.

"There are a few uses for the stored energy as well, such as this," I say while willing reddish-yellow colored hard light constructs to form. Though I can immediately feel the drain on my energy trying to keep this up. We Kryptonians don't get much energy from red suns so this is pretty tiring.

"It allows the users to make hard light constructs that are only limited by the imagination and their energy reserves. The perfect multi-tool for any situation" I finish but turning the light into various shapes and sizes before shutting it down having grown rather tired in the process. This tool was meant to be used on other planets so that's to be expected. If I can figure out that generator idea then that won't be a problem.

"Next using a complex sequence of spells and programs, it's able to scan a planet of its entire culture and technology and gives the user access to that knowledge. Then using illusion magic powered by their own energy allows the user to perfectly blend in their environment." This one was rather important for recon as some planets might be hostile to foreigners or might not even know about extraterrestrial life.

"Finally it comes with a universal translator using the all-speak spell gifted to us by the Asgardians or so I'm told." I've never actually met any of those so-called gods but Father said he met one once and there are a ton of references to them in the tomes mother has, so they are probably real. The spell itself was given to us long ago during the age of exploration so the information might not be entirely accurate. I mean some of the accounts from that time are just plain ridiculous

Gods that wield lightning. An empire on a planet made of fire. A purple titan massacring entire worlds to hook up with death. A being that eats planets for a living. Talking trees! Really now! I know we haven't left the planet for some time now but I at least have enough common sense to know most of that is made up.

Lost in my thoughts, as I so often am, I almost missed the clear dissatisfaction and hint of confusion in Cal-La's voice.

"So, why would anyone need this in the first place." And now it's my turn to be confused. Even more so when I notice that while intrigued Auntie Nadia also looks puzzled while Tor is giving my ring an odd look that I can't quite place.

Did I miss something?

37