Chapter 8: hunting exam (3)
121 2 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

{Author: this chapter was written by Editor yami and editted by his sister: I barely wrote 1k words.. I feel like I am losing my job.. -_-}

Wulan had already sensed that something was heading for them, but he was astonished and confused by two things. 

The speed with which it was coming towards them and the essence it had, because it was just too strong in comparison to what should be living here. 

A beast which was one rank above oneself could be beaten, but if it was two ranks above, then all alone the chances were really slim and if it was three levels above you, you were practically dead. And this beast had the essence of a 6th level!!!

'This- this is… you have to be kidding, right? This is just, just too --- PERFECT!!'

Wulan had just been thinking about how the hell he should get a Viper Light beast's heart in here and now, this great opportunity had arrived.

The guilt Wulan felt knowing that Luna wouldn't have gotten hurt if she hadn't followed him eased a little. After all, the opportunity for saving Luna had arrived.

'The Savior is here!'

{Ed: Loki? Is that you?}

Wulan smiled at the beast, while on the other side the five kids were shaking. Exactly like the three girls before, they looked as if their souls had left the bodies. 

While for Wulan, this was a great opportunity and almost a gift, for all the others it was a nightmare! A true nightmare! 

"Viper Light Beast!!"

"H-...how could that be p-possible, there are only level 2 beasts in the Ranuing forest!"

"W-wh-why is there such a monster here?!"

"Ahhh, noooo! I am not gonna die here! I am still too young. Save me!" 

The four people behind Sunir weren't just afraid, they were terrified to the point of madness.

Before they could utter another word or make any moves, the beast's eyes slowly turned to Sunir's whip. Its nose twitched once, twice. Its mouth started watering, it looked like a hungry man who hadn't eaten in days.

It started to move toward Sunir, its saliva dripping to the ground slowly. The places that the saliva touched began to melt. This was the power of a beast's poison…

Sunir and the four other kids were stepping back slowly.

'Hmm, if I take the circumstances into consideration, then this poison seems to be very potent, meaning this Viper Light Beast mastered it at an early age. It can already use the "Poison overwhelm" skill from what I can see.'    

"W-why can't I move my legs? I don't wanna die!! AAah!"

The person on the right side of Sunir cried out loud. Poison overwhelm was a poison Martial Arts technique which pressured the opponent.

 If the opponent was weaker than you, it would make them unable to move. It was a perfect skill for a predator, especially since this beast was the strongest being in all of this little world.

Poison type beasts usually only mastered it at Apprentice level, but this was not the first time Wulan saw a beast which could use it at Novice level. However, in his past life, the name of the skill had been different. It seemed that the people from this place named it that way.

'Maybe it's because he is always the predator and never the prey that this beast could use such a skill? Oh, well, never mind. I'm getting distracted. After all, this beast is definitely the predator in this scenario. Wait, can I move? After all, level-wise I'm weaker than it.' 

Wulan tried to move and…

"Oh?"

It worked. In contrast to all the other people his movements weren't restrained in any way. He didn't feel anything.  

'But why? Hmm, I never had to think about it, because I was always stronger than the beasts which usually used the skill, so it never worked on me… Well, the basic principle of this skill was about the fear of prey towards a predator, probably it's because…'

He looked at others around him, who were frozen in place, then he shifted his gaze to the python. The Viper Light Beast sensed the glaring eyes that were aimed straight at it then stared at Wulan. 

The beast was confused. In its whole life it had always been the hunter and every being shivered in fear, once it saw this level 6 beast. 

Not to mention, once they had exchanged eye-contact, some would even die out of fear, but right at this moment, this human was standing right in front of it and…

'As I thought, the skill was based on one of the primal instincts of living beings: The fear of the predator, the fear of the being that was stronger than oneself, the fear of death! If you are in a situation where you face a monster that is so strong that you have no chance of survival, the body just freezes and your brain overloads. However…'

Wulan's body was suddenly shrouded in red energy that was moving slowly around his body. 

"How can he move? Wait, don't tell me this freak thinks about attacking it?!"

One of the guys lying on the ground mumbled in a daze, as if he was dreaming.

Wulan took a stance that looked like he was getting ready to fight. He was obviously about to attack the beast. 

Even though the human was weak, the simple fact that he could move made the python highly altered, so it started to create some distance between them. 

Both of them stared at each other and the red aura surrounding Wulan started to move more violently.

The air seemed to freeze and nobody dared to even breathe.

Suddenly, Wulan moved and…

"Huh?"

Every single person, even the python was dumbfounded. Nobody really understood the situation or what had happened. 

All of them looked around in confusion, the stunned python was too distracted to keep using the skill, but nobody even questioned why they could move again.

Wulan was gone, neither were they able to see Luna anywhere. 

"Ah?"

A baffled voice came from one of the boys.

"Aaaahh!!"

Suddenly a scream of agony and pain resounded, then,

"""AaaaaAAhhhhaaAAAhh!!!"""

As if the first scream had woken them up, all four boys started to scream, especially Sunir's voice was filled with the utmost agony. 

What had happened? 

Wulan had focused all his energy on speed. His previous actions were only to confuse the python and to gather all his Qi to his feet. After his preparations were done he had a speed that was unthinkable coming from a 2. level Magus. 

However, he had used a self invented instant-move Martial Arts technique called (Koros Steps) that channeled his energy for maximum speed. This feat was something only Wulan could achieve. 

Within seconds he had moved towards the boys and taken the whip and the best poisons from Sunir. He used his own weapon to bind Sunir and spilled the burning liquid over the other four boys, leaving them screaming as he picked up Luna and ran away. 

'Perfect! Everything went just perfect! I didn't think that I would be able to achieve such a speed! Well, if the python had seen it coming, it would have been a big problem, but my stance completely threw it off, nice.'

"Aaawaawaahhh!!!"

Even though Wulan had already traveled quite a distance, the screams of the boys could still be heard.

'You deserved it! Well, getting burned alive by the poison is a very painful and cruel way to die, maybe the beast has mercy on you and will eat you quickly, it loves poison after all, so you will definitely smell delicious! 

Now those bastards got what they deserved. What now, what now… I was able to buy myself some time by sacrificing those four, but to be honest, the odds are stacked against me. It is a level 6 beast after all and I'm only at level 2. To be able to get this speed, I had to exhaust myself and Luna's condition is getting worse and worse.'

Wulan looked at Luna. She was still breathing and probably still conscious, but her heartbeat was getting slower and her body trembled.

He had already used his own Essence to help her, but it could only slow down the poison and not heal her. The only way to cure her at the moment would be the heart of the beast.

'I don't have much time…'

Wulan had already been taking in the surrounding energy. It was more dense than the one from yesterday, after all, this space hadn't been touched by humans for a whole year. The speed with which the energy circulated in his body was almost frightening. 

Wulan suddenly had a strange thought: 'Why is it called "Poison Overwhelms" in this continent? After all, this skill had nothing to do with poison. In the central star continent it was called (Layer Overwhelm). It was a skill that attacked the psyche and not the body… Well, that was also the reason why I wasn't really affected by it, simply because it wasn't able to frighten me or even attack my mind.'

 

A idea popped into his head: 

'Maybe they call it poison, because they always saw it on poisonous beasts and didn't really understand how the attack worked? After all this is the first time that I heard that this skill was named this way. It seems their knowledge is lacking. After all the time that I wasn't here, there should have been advancements and the people should have become more knowledgeable, or is it because this place is just not very important or great? Yes, that's probably the case!'

While he was thinking he had already taken in enough energy to restore most of his power and he also wasn't able to waste any more time, Luna's Essence would otherwise be damaged. 

He found a spot on top of a rock, no beast should be able to reach her there, she should be safe there for the time being. Also, the time the portal reopened was approaching.

"Luna, just wait here and bear with the poison, I will come back in a short while and bring something that will heal you."

It seemed that Luna didn't even have the strength to answer him anymore so he just smiled at her for a moment and then moved towards the beast with great speed.

'Now then, now then, now then.'

{Ed: Sate, Sate, Sate.}

The python had already bestowed the grace of death upon the suffering four and it was very satisfied with the meal, especially since it had great seasoning. It sniffed around, but couldn't smell anything that was of interest to it. So it decided to sleep again. 

The python was the strongest being in this realm and would just sleep after it ate. It had this habit because there wasn't anything else to do besides hunting and sleeping. Since there were no beings that could pose a threat to this level 6 monster, it had never felt any danger and so, after it went back inside the cave, it fell into a deep slumber. 

Pain. Suddenly the python felt a sensation that had been foreign to it for a long time. Its eyes shot open and it saw a figure standing in front of it, right before its eyes and looked straight at it. 

The python felt pain coming from all over its body. It had obviously been attacked by this figure in front of it, while it had been sleeping. 

The beast immediately rose and a great rage could be seen inside its eyes. It, the strongest being in this realm had been attacked by someone and now even experienced the agonizing feeling of pain. 

The python lashed out with all of its power and came straight at the person. Because of its skill, the other person would be unable to move and thus it could easily kill whoever it was with just one bite. However, the beast had such great anger that it attacked with full force. 

The sound of a body hitting stone echoed inside the little cave. 

The python was confused and suddenly an even greater pain came straight from his front. Instead of hitting the person, it had crashed into one of the walls. The whole cave shook and the beast turned towards the person with even more fury. 

Its eyes widened. The person in front of him wasn't a stranger, no, it was the boy who challenged him, but then suddenly ran. 

Because of the nice meal, it had almost forgotten about him, but now its emotions exploded even more. In its whole life nobody had been able to escape or even move, this boy was the first one. This fact insulted his pride as the lord of this realm. 

The screech it let out even shook the whole cave once again and out of fury it attacked once again. It was confident that the boy couldn't escape it if it jumped at him with such a speed. 

It once again crashed into a wall. A big crack could be seen on the spot where it hit the rock. 

The beast had already lost every bit of rationality because of the pain and attacked Wulan once again.

'Hmm. I didn't think that it would be this furious already. Well, I injured it with many wounds all over while it was sleeping, but it should understand that those frontal attacks with full power are not working on me.'

Wulan looked around the cave and saw that the cracks had spread. This place was bound to come crashing down any second now.

'Is it because it's not used to being in pain? Whatever it is, it's great for me, because it will speed up things by a great deal.'

He once again evaded a frontal attack from the python and watched it crash into the wall. The whole cave was already looking like a scattered glass that was put together again, the ground shook and several rocks came down from the ceiling.

'My plan is going really smooth. Seriously, otherwise it would have been a real pain in the ass to defeat this monster.'

Wulan didn't have the means to kill such a strong beast in such a short amount of time, luckily it had started to sleep inside its cave so Wulan had enough time to make preparations.

 In the middle of the cave was a gigantic stalactite which would be enough to impale the python. He had tried damaging the walls a bit, but he himself was too weak to bring it down, so he had decided to use the strongest being in this whole realm: The python. 

While he couldn't kill it, he was still able to injure it, if he used all of his strength. It had been in deep slumber so he´d had enough time to gather his energy for each attack. He had even been able to break some of its scales.

His final attack, that had woken up the beast, directly targeted its head and with all his power he had been able to damage it at the most vital spot. Every time it crashed into a wall the fissure in its scales became bigger and bigger, until they were finally broken.

The whole cave was full of cracks that reached until the middle of the ceiling where the stalactite was already heavily shaking.

The phyton came at Wulan. Without his skill "Koros Steps" he would be unable to evade the attacks from the beast, however with the help of this instant-move skill, he was barely able to. 

This time he just stood in the middle of the cave and looked into the eyes of the python. They were filled with agony, pain, but most importantly fury.

"Viper Light Beast, I'm actually very grateful to you, for being here. Thanks to you, I will be able to save a person who's important to me, so please… Rest well."

"Clap"

After Wulan finished speaking, he clapped his hands together.

The cave started to shake violently. 

The python didn't even have time to do anything. Suddenly, something fell from right above it and in the next moment, everything turned dark for it. 

Wulan looked at the scenery of a level 6 Viper Light beast being impaled through the head by a gigantic stalactite. 

"Thank you, Vipar light."

{Author: Join our discord server to be updated sooner.. free 2 chaps for the first 7 people to join: https://discord.gg/dSn2PhB :}

                                        To be continued.

3