32 . War Preparation
47 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

32 . War Preparation

The war was prepared everywhere in the nine kingdoms, the Duke had asked the association to start to put in place the pre-war preparations. The messenger magicians had to send messages to all the war magicians of the kingdom who were affiliated to this city, he was scattered all over the kingdom or further away, many answers came back saying that he would arrive soon. The farmers had to move their harvest to the ducal granaries which was located in the city, so that they could all protect it in the citadel in case of conflicts. This was very labor-intensive, and the townsfolk saw many carts going back and forth to the city filled with wheat, vegetables and other commodities.

The hunters went into the woods many times more than usual, people were requisitioned to smoke the meat, and the loggers brought wood into the strategic reserve in case the conflict lasted longer than expected. Anything extra was accepted by the city, whether it was fish or medicinal herbs, anything was welcome in the city, anyone who could be useful. Blacksmiths would prepare various weapons, cabinetmakers would make ballista and arrows, and alchemists would replenish their stocks of potions and herbs to the maximum of their capacity. The tension was palpable in the city, people were stressed by all these preparations, children were the only ones who remained the same cheerful by all he could see.

Izel did a lot of overtime hunting, it was the time to earn the most money, he brought back a lot of medicinal plants as well because the alchemist knew that if he was the one who brought these plants back then they would be very well preserved, they couldn't explain it but Izel managed to rejuvenate the plants with his energy but he didn't hear them. The association had asked him to take a course with an experienced healer, because he knew that he could heal people, but he didn't have as much experience as he needed for the war. So he took the course at the palace healer because the Duke had recommended it, the healer at first thought he had no talent but he had a lot of drive. After a few days, the healer realized that izel had a gift for healing people, so he gave him techniques to heal with and without magic. For him it was not necessary to rely only on magic because if he did not have any more magic then the patient could be in danger.

After this training the guild offered him the rank of war healer, izel of course accepted because his soul is not yet fully healed to be effective as a warrior, the connection of what he wants and what his body does is a little late. This could be dangerous in a life or death fight, a second can make the difference in a fight at this level. So taking care to heal people would be a good thing, even if he is on the battlefield at least he would be at the back of it. He could at least heal the fighters and magicians who could be of great help in this war. He was told that he will move to the battlefield with his friends to heal people quickly.

All the young mage or mage who had never known war had to follow training to be able to react well to various situations, to follow orders also because mage are not used to do it, there was even a training in collaboration with the guards of the city so that it was synchronized with warriors in training. Otr was also being trained to better serve his transformation to be a scout, this was the thing that could allow him to better contribute to the war, his mother was really worried about him and decided to stay in the city when she was no longer affiliated to the association. She had even given him an enchanted medallion that creates a shield in case of danger, this medallion could be transformed with him.

The Duke and his ministers had convened a council of war by summoning all the most senior warriors but also all the wise men of the association, this meeting was held so that all the information gathered was pooled to put in place a defense plan. All these men and women were the best in their field in the whole city, every point of view was listened to in this meeting. The Duke was known to be a good lord and very competent, he had no prejudices about people or their gender, for him if he was in their place it was because they were very competent people. The adviser lasted for hours, the only break he took was to eat, they were in consultation all day long apart from that. Meetings were scheduled every week, because things could change at any time, each person in the meeting had a mission to accomplish.

The walls had been checked all week by the mason and the architect, so that it would be at its best in case of a siege. All the defense weapons of the walls were checked and replaced if ever it was too damaged, the cabinetmaker was above the walls for weeks like the mason by the way. The people had been informed that he should protect their house by checking them for their solidity, the water rewinder was also checked so that it would not run out of water if a siege was set up by their enemies.

The duke had learned from the king's messengers that a request for submission had been sent by the king of Asgard, the king had of course refused this request judging it for him as a declaration of war. No nobleman of Vanaheim wanted to submit to these brute who did not respect any way of life except their own, it would be unacceptable for them to bend their knees to this decerebration. If vanaheim falls then all their culture will be changed or even simply destroyed by the aesir, they are warriors in the essence of their being those aesir.

The vanir are more carried by research and magic even if they have a lot of warrior as well but they do not define themselves by that. The only advantage of the war with the asgardien is that for them honor and above all, therefore he would not have a traitor's blow. The aesir are stronger than the vanir, but above all they are more numerous. Their war animals are very powerful, like some of their elite warriors such as the valkyrie for example, or the wolf tamer.

The advantage of vanir is their diverse expertise but also their allies that they have made over the years, their race rarely attacks other races except trolls with whom it is difficult to converse. Each people of the city was faithful to the Duke, they are because the Duke always prioritized their comfort to everything else. Many people had been saved by the Duke's units, schooling for children was free, corruption was minimal in the duchy.

// Sorry for yesterday's chapter, it was a bit short but I had a visit from my family and in these times of corona it's important to see the people who matter, of course none are at risk, no health concerns. //

2