Extra 11: Vacation [Part 1]
301 2 9
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Here, Ah-Xuan. Have some egg yolks,” Ning Wei said as he placed them in his husband’s bowl, hoping to cheer him up.

The sullen Yan Yixuan stared at his favorite food for a moment before being unable to resist the lure. He picked up his chopsticks and set about devouring the fried yolks. Jian Lan’s cooking was as good as always. Appetite piqued, the young man was soon plowing through the rest of the food with gusto.

Ning Wei smiled and continued with his own lunch.

Jian Lan’s wife, Liang Yu, and their two children had just returned from the restaurant where Liang Yu worked after having lunch there. As a result Jian Lan alone accompanied Yan Yixuan and Ning Wei to eat when they visited to mooch off a meal from him.

Finishing his food, Yan Yixuan set down his chopsticks and sighed morosely again. Even such delicious food couldn’t keep his melancholy at bay.

Unable to hold his curiosity back anymore, Jian Lan noted, “Brother Yan, you seem to be feeling down today.”

Ning Wei smiled wryly while Yan Yixuan nodded sadly and thought back to the tragedy that had befallen him.

The cause of his misfortune was an incident that occurred in the middle of the night a few days ago.

At that time, black clouds had been roiling above the Yan household while a violent thunderstorm raged. Bolts of lightning boomed as if the skies themselves were being torn asunder as streams of heavy rain lashed everything with frigid ferocity. The people in the capital lay huddled in their houses waiting for the heavens’ fury to pass them by.

At this time, an untimely visitor banged their fist against the Yan household’s gates hard enough to make them shudder.

When the servants hurried over, they found to their shock that it was the empress, standing alone under a drenched cloak. While she appeared composed, her eyes darted around furtively.

The servants guessed that she might be evading pursuers and quickly welcomed her in, then closed the gates behind her tightly. When the empress was led into the receiving room, Yan Yixuan was already waiting for her with warm tea.

He frowned at her tense expression and stood up. “Sister Nuo, what happened? Where is the consort?”

“My beloved has been away for six months already and look what I have to deal with in her absence!” The empress exhaled with frustration before downing the steaming tea in one gulp to dispel the chill. Taking off her dripping cloak so a servant could sweep it away, she continued in a clipped voice, “I don’t have time to explain everything but I’d appreciate your help.”

Yan Yixuan nodded. “What do you need?”

The empress sighed and rubbed her brows. “A place to hide. They will come looking for me any second now.”

The young man turned to Ruan Shu. “Please set the household on high alert and ask those on duty to prepare for intruders—”

“Wait! I don’t want any of them to be injured!” the empress hurried to add. “They might be coming after me now but they will eventually return to my side.”

Yan Yixuan wondered what new scheme the empress was carrying out but decided to go along. “Very well. Brother Ruan, please inform our people not to injure the invaders severely, and get ready to personally guard the empress. I will have Ah-Wei guard me, so don’t worry.”

Ruan Shu nodded and stepped out to dispense instructions.

The young man turned to the empress and smiled. “Now, Your Majesty, let me escort you to your hiding place.”

The usually stately household was soon bristling with killing intent, danger hidden around every corner.

The gardener stroked his shovel, sad that he couldn’t bury any assailants as fertilizer for his plants this time. The cook took out his special cleaver and polished it silently, readying it to be bloodied. The pet handler gathered the most obedient and playful pets and perched on a rafter beam, swinging her legs cheerfully as she prepared to drop down snakes and scorpions on unsuspecting opponents.

The other house servants took up their personal weapons and hid themselves in dark corners and crevices where they could take the assailants unawares, like under tables and beds, behind curtains and doors, or over tall wardrobes. Black-clad guards glided soundlessly through the hallways like ghosts, the many weapons and tools hidden on them making not even a muted clink. Standing quiet and still, Ruan Shu kept watch near the room where the empress was concealed, blending into the darkness like kin to the thickly pooled shadows.

In contrast, Yan Yixuan sat behind his desk in his study as usual, looking over some reports while sipping warm tea. The most important documents were already stowed away.

Ning Wei sat at the side with his blade in his lap, his relaxed posture belying keen vigilance.

Dim lanterns swayed in the corridors outside as thunder cracked above and torrential rain blurred the scenery. Yet the household itself lay still and watchful like a beast crouching in wait for its prey.

When their opponents finally arrived, their identity was unexpected―it was a group of imperial guards led by a wizened old man in courtly attire.

The old man shook like a leaf in the wind and seemed quite pitiful and weak, completely unlike how one would imagine a formidable enemy targeting the empress to look like. To add to the oddness, the newly arrived group didn’t storm in but…knocked politely and waited.

The household’s servants who prepared to face a violent besiegement, “……?”

But no matter how disarming these opponents appeared, the Yan household’s only priority was to defend the empress as its master commanded, so they duly refused entry.

The old man sighed tiredly and spoke to his companions, “Then we have no choice. I will leave it in your capable hands to retrieve Her Majesty. Do make sure not to injure anyone who fights back. The last thing we need is earning Duke Yan’s ire.”

The imperial guards nodded grimly and barged into the household.

The two sides finally clashed, but neither side went all out, holding themselves back so as to not hurt their opponents as they were commanded. But an outsider who didn’t know that would only see a fierce fight with clashing blades and wrestling bodies emitting shouts and grunts of pain.

Meanwhile, the old man who led the imperial guards bumbled forward with the help of the most skilful of his companions and finally reached his destination: Yan Yixuan’s study.

Having expected the enemy leader to approach him, Yan Yixuan wasn’t surprised when the door opened to reveal a group of the assailants. But when he saw the face of the leader, he couldn’t help but frown in disbelief.

“Eunuch Gan? How could you of all people betray Her Majesty?” the young man exclaimed.

Ning Wei looked confused as well. They had often met this old eunuch when they visited the palace and saw that he was one of the empress’s closest confidants. Since he was such a stickler for rules and often tried to earnestly lecture the empress, she often bullied him fondly until he fled in tears. He always meant well and had a rather sensitive and weak personality, so how could he mount an assault against the empress? It was unthinkable! Could he have truly hidden his ambitions so deep that even the empress and Yan Yixuan hadn’t spotted it?!

Before Yan Yixuan or Ning Wei could recover from their surprise, Eunuch Gan sniffled, then ran forward with tears dripping down his face and dropped to his knees in front of them. “Duke Yaaaan! Please, help meee!”

Yan Yixuan and Ning Wei, “……”

Ah, now this is more like him, they thought as one.

As the imperial eunuch began slamming his forehead into the floor as he kowtowed repeatedly, Yan Yixuan hurriedly said, “Eunuch Gan, stop! Just tell me what’s going on.”

Eunuch Gan slowly straightened, forehead red, and sniffled miserably again. “Duke Yan, I’m begging you to hand over the empress to us. I-I can’t take it anymore. At this rate, how can I face the generations of people who served the palace previously?!” He hiccupped, distraught, as more tears dribbled down his creased cheeks.

Ning Wei sighed and came over to pull the eunuch up and settle him on a chair before pushing a cup of warm tea into his hands. Eunuch Gan drank with impeccable grace…if one ignored his tearstained cheeks and the snot beginning to drip into his droopy mustache.

After he finally calmed down and wiped his face, Eunuch Gan explained, “Recently, Her Majesty has been very irritable without the consort to soothe her temper and ended up accumulating a pile of work. While she attends to the memorials in time so the court censors won’t find any faults with her, she has completely ignored the correspondences. But she can’t declare them as optional just because she doesn’t like them!”

Eunuch Gan huffed in affront and went on, “I’ve been trying and trying to make her work but…she ended up leaving a note saying she found my nagging annoying and that she was going to hide until I saw reason! If the palace knew Her Majesty was roaming outside without protection, it would be a disaster! So I couldn’t even conscript a large force and only had a small troop of trusted imperial guards to help me search for her whereabouts. Who knew she’d end up coming here and hide!”

Ning Wei’s lips twitched incredulously while Yan Yixuan let out a long, deep sigh and rubbed his aching forehead. When his Sister Nuo decided to be troublesome, she was really troublesome.

Yan Yixuan knew that the empress was responsible enough to have finished everything important before deciding to bully her eunuch for insisting she finish the more unimportant and tedious tasks as well. However…

Why the hell did she have to drag his household into this!?

Accompanied by Ning Wei, Yan Yixuan wordlessly strode out of the study and beckoned the group from the palace to follow him. When they came upon Ruan Shu along the way, Yan Yixuan asked him to spread word that the fight was over while Eunuch Gan sent some of the imperial guards to ask their side to cease as well.

The young man led them to what looked like a random unused room in a different section of the residence. Walking over to a cluttered shelf, Yan Yixuan pushed back a heavy incense burner carved into a lotus. There was a rumbling click, and one of the walls loosened to open a crack.

Ning Wei pushed open the wall to reveal the empress relaxing in the space behind it. She lounged comfortably on a couch, layers of quilts keeping her warm as she leisurely ate from a bowl of snacks and perused a book while yawning.

When the wall swung open, she paused mid-yawn and looked at the stone-faced Yan Yixuan with wide eyes.

Yan Yixuan calmly walked to one of the cupboards and fetched some rope, then expressionlessly began tying the quilt-wrapped-empress into a dumpling.

“W-Wait, stop! Xiao-Yan, what are you doing?!” the empress asked, panicking, as she eyed Eunuch Gan and wriggled to get free.

The young man tightened the rope and said flatly, “Since you like bundling yourself up in comfortable quilts while the rest of us have to abandon our work and bustle around in the cold night for your stupid prank, you can stay bundled in those quilts all the way to the palace.”

The empress, “……” She wanted to protest, but she really didn’t dare to when he got like this.

Meanwhile, Eunuch Gan dropped to his knees in front of the dumpling-empress and wailed about how afraid he had been and how he was wronged. Unable to use her hands to cover her ears, the empress winced as his shrieks pierced her head.

Yan Yixuan allowed the group from the imperial palace to rest and warm up until the skies cleared, then shoved the dumpling at them and ruthlessly kicked the whole group out. He then unpacked his documents that had been secreted away and sank back into his work, grumbling about wasted time.

But how could there be no retaliation after he cut short the empress’s fun?

Her revenge soon arrived, and it was swift and brutal.

When his cruel punishment was oh-so-casually doled out to him while masked as a kindness, Yan Yixuan had left the smirking empress behind in a furious huff, uncaring of the eyes watching them.

Within a few hours, the court was afire with news of the empress and Duke Yan having a falling out. It was said to be so serious that the usually composed Duke Yan lost his calm and even forewent courtesy while exiting his audience with the empress!

The courtiers extensively asked around further and gossip soon ran rampant after someone claimed to have overheard from the duke himself that the empress had bestowed punishment upon him. Could it be that the empress had finally realized how powerful the Yan household had grown and was trying to suppress them?

Everyone waited with bated breath to know what form the punishment had taken so they could figure out how it would affect the court’s power balance. Was Yan Yixuan being demoted? His position stripped? His lands confiscated? There was even speculation that he would be given to the neighboring Sui’s king to strengthen their alliance. Both allies and enemies twisted their hands and anxiously awaited further news.

The next day, the empress announced it in court.

This grand punishment Duke Yan Yixuan was inflicted with was…a vacation.

Everyone, “……”

Yan Yixuan was ordered to take a leave and was completely forbidden to touch anything related to his work for the next two weeks. The empress revealed that she had stumbled upon the dutiful duke working hard even in the midst of the night and expressed that she was concerned over her beloved subject’s health. She was thus granting him a vacation, effective immediately.

Yan Yixuan recalled how he had admonished the empress for preventing him and his household from working due to her prank and felt the hidden malice in her ‘kind bestowment’ pierce right through him.

What about all of his carefully threaded webs and plots?! What about all the courtiers he was in the midst of manipulating or his schemes that were in the midst of unfolding?! What about the paperwork that would pile higher than Mount Tai if left undone?!

But the empress’ decree cared not for his woes and Yan Yixuan was forced to sadly bid goodbye to his study and find other, more boring ways to occupy himself. His mind that once happily wove webs for others to get trapped in was now under the threat of being buried under cobwebs of its own due to disuse. He could only hope that his brain wouldn’t rot away with the lack of stimulation.

Ning Wei found the situation all too amusing. Hiding his smile, he accompanied his husband in trying to find ways to occupy themselves. And with his beloved keeping him company, Yan Yixuan even managed to enjoy it.

Before, Yan Yixuan had been busy with work as usual and didn’t let himself indulge too much in bedroom matters. So for the first couple of days of the vacation, the couple spent their time rolling in the sheets happily and pampered each other.

For the few days after that, Ning Wei wanted Yan Yixuan to enjoy himself outside and the pair toured the capital, scattering dog food along the way. But soon, all the sights to be seen were already seen and all the food and entertainment already sampled to satisfaction. Not knowing what to do with the remaining time, Yan Yixuan could only begin calling on family and friends.

They first visited Yan Yixuan’s sister’s family before briefly stopping at the Ning household. The couple then went to check up on the Jin household where Yan Yixuan’s tutor, Master Jin, and Ning Wei’s father, Ning Guang, lived. Yan Yixuan’s niece, Lin Meihui, was staying there for lessons as well.

Since Lin Meihui had a similar history of physical abuse to Yan Yixuan, Master Jin took special care of her as if to make up for all that he had been unable to do for the young man. Master Jin’s other students and apprentices also took very good care of their sweet and quiet little junior sister, delightedly teaching her games and gifting her plenty of toys while they took every opportunity to shower her with adoration. Lin Meihui accepted their attention with small, shy smiles, her dewy plum-like eyes shining with simple joy.

Yan Yixuan witnessed it all with relief, his worry for his niece assuaged.

Once they had their fill, the couple didn’t want to overstay their welcome and decided to visit Jian Lan next.

And that’s where they were at now.

As Yan Yixuan recalled it all and silently sulked, Ning Wei smiled and answered Jian Lan’s query, “The empress made some mischief that inconvenienced our household recently, so she granted two weeks of vacation to Ah-Xuan in compensation and ordered him to rest. Ah-Xuan insists on seeing it as a punishment and has been unsatisfied at having to abandon his schemi―ahem, I mean his court duties for this duration.”

Jian Lan suppressed his amusement and nodded. “I see.”

Yan Yixuan sighed again and felt like flopping down sadly at the thought of having no work to engage his mind and no schemes to entertain himself with. How could he maintain his reputation as an evil official terrorizing the court if he was seen pitifully counting leaves on trees to stave off boredom instead of rubbing his hands and cackling gleefully at his fellow officials’ misfortune after they fell into one of his intricate plots?!

Yan Yixuan huffed and stared at the table dispiritedly.

Just then, Liang Yu brought a few plates of fruit slices arranged into delicate flowers and set them down. As Yan Yixuan gloomily poked at his plate, Ning Wei plucked a slice to feed his beloved. “Here, Ah-Xuan, eat some and cheer up.”

Though Yan Yixuan started feeling better upon being fed by his husband, he still purposefully acted despondent. “Ah-Wei, what will I do if everything I’ve been working up to falls apart in my absence? What if my brain grows mold from not being used for so long? Two weeks is a long time, you know!”

Ning Wei knew his beloved was trying to attract his sympathy and indulgently obliged. Rubbing his little fox’s head, he consoled, “My Ah-Xuan is so clever, I’m sure you can think of ways to use your absence this time to your advantage and further manipulate the court. Wouldn’t doing it without having time to prepare like your other plots be more challenging anyway?”

Yan Yixuan perked up. “That’s true. If I can find a reason to visit Official Cang and use him to keep watch, maybe even propagate rumors to nudge certain people in favorable directions and make them discount me due to the vacation…”

Ning Wei didn’t try to understand whatever new schemes were brewing in his husband’s head and contended himself with watching his beloved grow more animated as he spoke.

Yan Yixuan broke out of his thoughts and smiled at Ning Wei. “Thank you, Ah-Wei.”

Ning Wei patted his arm. “No need for thanks. Cheering you up benefits me as well by letting me behold one of the most beautiful smiles in the world.”

The young man blushed. “Oh, you. Always sweet-talking me. I should reward you with something sweet in return.” Taking a slice of fruit, he poked his husband’s mouth with it.

Ning Wei happily ate it and the couple was once again oozing affection.

The innocent Jian Lan who had been eating peacefully almost raised a hand to block the blinding sight of dog food being produced.

After the plates were wiped clean of fruits the couple sat back, sated in more ways than one.

“I’m glad the fruits I’ve been growing were so thoroughly enjoyed,” Jian Lan remarked wryly.

Yan Yixuan chuckled. “I thank you and Madam Jian for letting us partake of your efforts.”

Liang Yu had just come to clear away the plates and smiled happily.

Ning Wei spoke, “That reminds me, weren’t you talking about expanding the garden into a small field, Brother Jian?”

Jian Lan nodded and leaned back with folded arms. “I’ve already started expanding it and even bought oxen to plough the field when it’s ready. But I still have to figure out a more efficient irrigation method to cover the whole area. Oh, and I still need a donkey to pull the wagon so I can bring the produce home without breaking my back. I’m not as young after all.”

Ning Wei frowned. “Why not use your horse?”

Liang Yu was about to leave with the plates when she turned to puff out her cheeks and declare, “No, I want my peach puff to get a donkey! They’re smaller, cuter, with more fur, and much more cuddly than those haughty, ill-tempered horses!”

Ning Wei raised an eyebrow while Jian Lan sighed with affectionate helplessness. “That’s how it is, General, so we’re going to get a donkey.”

Lian Yu nodded, satisfied, and merrily skipped away to take care of the plates.

Jian Lan went on, “I’ve been advised that the livestock sold at a certain establishment two towns over is reared to look visually appealing to its rich clients, so I plan to get a donkey from there that’ll satisfy Xiao-Yu. But the journey itself is four to six hours and returning will take just as much, so I haven’t been able to find the time yet.”

Yan Yixuan recalled, “I seem to have a mansion in a town somewhere nearby as well, but I’ve never been there. Since we have the time now, maybe we should pay it a visit.”

“We can get a donkey for you on the way,” Ning Wei said. “I’ll make sure to get a good-looking, strong one.”

Jian Lan smiled with relief. “Thank you.”

“Think of it as payment for all the delicious meals you treat us to, Brother Jian,” Ning Wei said.

Rubbing his chin, Yan Yixuan remarked, “Speaking of donkeys, we should pay Official Cang a visit before we depart the capital. I wonder what excuse I can use to call on him this time.”

Jian Lan blinked, not understanding why talk of donkeys would remind the duke about an official. Ning Wei chuckled, amused at how his little fox refused to forget Cang Xiyu’s nickname from when they had wandered together in Sui’s forests.

“If you want an excuse to visit this official,” Jian Lan offered, “how about taking him some of the produce? I was planning on giving you a few baskets anyway.”

Yan Yixuan smiled. “Thank you, Brother Jian.”

Basket of fresh fruits and vegetables in hand, the couple left to meet Cang Xiyu.

When they reached the Cang household they were promptly and respectfully ushered into a sitting room in Cang Xiyu’s courtyard. The servant told them that the young master would soon be with them and departed.

Yan Yixuan opened the hand fan he always carried around with him these days and casually fanned himself. Ning Wei smiled amusedly but said nothing.

The moment Cang Xiyu stepped into the room, he was blinded by the cloyingly sweet inscription on the fan. The official gritted his teeth. No matter how many times he saw it he still couldn’t get used to this couple’s shamelessness!

Pretending to be unaffected, Cang Xiyu took a seat opposite the couple and asked, “What important reason has caused Duke Yan and General Ning to grace this humble household?”

Yan Yixuan shrugged. “We visited Lieutenant Jian just now and he gave us an overabundance of produce as a parting gift. We thought we’d drop off some for you to enjoy.”

Cang Xiyu’s gaze shifted and he smiled. “I see. I thank you for thinking of me then.”

He motioned for the two servants standing in the room to come and take the basket and instructed, “One of you bring half of it to this courtyard’s kitchen and the other one can send the rest to the main residence.”

The servants bowed and accepted the basket before leaving.

Once he was sure they were far enough, Cang Xiyu tucked his hands into his sleeves and leaned back. “There, now we’re alone. What have you been plotting now?”

Yan Yixuan grinned. “I’m glad Official Cang is so perceptive.”

After the first time they exchanged messages using this method, one of them bringing a basket of food to the other had somehow become a sign asking to discuss something secretive.

As Yan Yixuan started outlining his newest schemes with Cang Xiyu, with the names of various prominent people and households being thrown around, Ning Wei reclined lazily at the side. He couldn’t quite follow their conversation so he let his mind wander.

Compared to the military lifestyle he had been used to, life these days were very comfortable. It was only when Ning Wei saw his father act anxious in simple social situations, like he himself once used to, that he realized how much he’d changed.

If this was before his meeting with Yan Yixuan, Ning Wei would never feel relaxed enough to let his vigilance drop like this in someone else’s house, someone else’s territory. Even now, if he had been here alone, he would still keep his senses sharp just in case. But since his husband was beside him, he felt safe enough to close his eyes and let his thoughts drift. Such a luxury had become the norm for him.

Yan Yixuan always insisted that Ning Wei had done some great favor to him and that he could never do enough to express his gratitude. But Ning Wei knew that if he narrated the series of events in their life to any random person, they would all without a doubt come to the same conclusion Ning Wei had: Ning Wei was the one who owed Yan Yixuan. For saving his life many times from behind the scenes during the war, later giving him a place to heal where he could slowly walk out of the shadow of the war, and even walking into Sui despite the danger to him for the sake of freeing Ning Wei’s father. Ning Wei was the one who could never repay Yan Yixuan enough, and he would gladly keep making up for it his whole life.

Ning Wei smiled and looked at his beloved through half-lidded eyes. Seeing Yan Yixuan energetically wave around the fan he painted for him, Ning Wei felt warm. Seeing the young man use it and treasure it every day brought him such satisfaction and joy. He thought back to how when his father came to know of it, he tried to carve a cane for Master Jin. Master Jin had looked so taken aback yet unable to hide how moved he was with the gift. His father had been so proud and pleased.

But then Ning Guang had playfully asked, “Which hard wood does my Jianhao like stroking more, this staff’s or mine?” It promptly earned him a chase around the house as Master Jin furiously pursued him, cane in hand and ears dyed red, while he yelled promises of whacking some propriety into him. Ning Guang had laughed, pleased, as the two dignified old men ran around like children.

After everything his father had been through, Ning Wei was glad to see him growing spirited again. When was the last time he had seen his father being so lively? Before he was captured by Xie and tortured for information for years?

No, even before that, General Ning Guang had had a grim cast to his usual wry and playful expression. Having to take lives was never his favorite thing.

Was it before the war grew serious, then? But no, the responsibility of taking care of his young son while also fulfilling his duties in the army must have been hard on him.

Ning Wei suddenly realized that for all his teasing words and laidback grins, his father had rarely ever appeared this contented. The only time he had probably looked like this was a long time ago, when Ning Wei still had a mother.

After that woman cheated on his father and ran away with some pretty face, not only abandoning an infant Ning Wei but also absconding with all the money her husband had risked his life to accumulate, something in Ning Guang had grown desolate. He had lost faith in people and chose to never let anyone into his life again. He raised Ning Wei alone, stubbornly asking no one for help. It must have taken a lot of strength for him to step out of his shell to express his love to Master Jin, only for it to be brutally shot down. Ning Wei couldn’t even imagine how much effort his father needed to act normal at that time, still laughing and joking as if he hadn’t had his broken heart crushed further.

But thankfully, things got better.

After Ning Guang was rescued, Master Jin professed his love back and they quickly got together. Though his father’s mind and body were left terribly scarred, the wounds were healing with Master Jin’s help.

Some days Ning Wei wanted to make his mother look at how happy his father was despite her heartless abandonment. He wanted her to rue the day she wronged him.

But at the same time, Ning Wei was content to let the past lay where it was. Even if he couldn’t forgive his mother, he could forget her just like his father seemed to have. He didn’t need to be petty and let that woman take over more space in his thoughts than she deserved. Yes, he could be forgiving, generous, magnanimous…

Hmm, he was sure his little fox could dig up that she-demon’s hidey-hole if he asked, and maybe even think of a way to make her pay. His father never needed to know.

As he thought about various ways to earn retribution against a mother who he couldn’t even remember, Ning Wei dozed off. He only realized it when he was nudged awake by Yan Yixuan.

“Ah-Wei, your body will ache if you sleep on the couch like this,” Yan Yixuan whispered softly as if afraid of jarring him. “Are you tired? Do you want me to arrange for a place to sleep?”

Ning Wei blinked his eyes open and yawned. He stretched his arms, then shook his head. “I’m fine. I feel pretty refreshed. It must be because my darling husband’s voice is so soothing as you discuss digging pits for your fellow courtiers.”

Yan Yixuan chuckled, pleased.

Not wanting to give the couple another chance to display their affection, Cang Xiyu spoke up, “That’s right, Duke Yan. How has your vacation been so far?”

Yan Yixuan sighed and grumped. “There’s so little to do that I can only take solace in my husband’s company and roam around the capital visiting friends and family so I’d have something to do. As much as I’d like to sequester myself in our chambers all day long with him, my husband cares about my health too much to let me.”

Sensing the not-so-subtle showing off of their love, Cang Xiyu felt his teeth itch in annoyance. He pretended to not notice it and asked, “Is that why you visited Lieutenant Jian today? How is he by the way?” Jian Lan was, after all, one of the soldiers who had accompanied and protected Cang Xiyu and the others as they went to Sui to rescue Yan Yixuan, so Cang Xiyu felt obliged to inquire after him.

Yan Yixuan smiled. “Brother Jian is doing fine. He asked us to acquire a donkey to use for his fields and we agreed before we came here to meet you.”

Cang Xiyu automatically reacted with a shout. “Forget it! I’m not going to work in any fields just because you call me a donkey!”

Ning Wei snickered while Yan Yixuan laughed and said, “Why, Official Cang, what makes you jump to that conclusion? Do you spend so much time thinking of yourself as a donkey that every time someone mentions one, you assume they’re referring to you?”

Cang Xiyu, “……” If he wasn’t teased to this point by this little brat, why would his first reaction be that?!

Flushing with shame, he angrily waved his sleeves. “I’ve had enough of being mocked by you. If there’s nothing else, then out with you.”

Yan Yixuan laughed and got up. “Come, then, Ah-Ning. It seems we’re no longer welcome. We’ll return home to prepare for our excursion.”

Ning Wei nodded and got up. Bidding Cang Xiyu goodbye, the pair set off for home.

In the carriage, Ning Wei asked, “Did you have fun teasing Official Cang?”

Yan Yixuan happily nodded. “Now that I can’t watch those courtiers dance in my net of intrigue in person, I have to get my entertainment somehow.”

Ning Wei could only chuckle and shake his head. Well, as long as his adorable little fox was happy.

As the carriage made its way home, Ning Wei couldn’t help the nagging feeling that he had something he wanted to ask Yan Yixuan, something related to what he was thinking about before he dozed off. However, unable to remember, he shrugged and let it go.

↢∘●∘↣

The next day, with Ruan Shu as their driver, the couple set out the gates of the capital and travelled to the town where good-looking livestock was said to be sold.

Since the journey was long and tiring, Yan Yixuan and Ning Wei spent the day napping and snacking in between casual conversations. When they reached their destination the couple was glad to finally stop and stretch their legs for longer.

Ning Wei met with the livestock dealer and looked around the establishment’s selection to choose an adorable donkey. Since Yan Yixuan was woefully ignorant in such matters, he settled for wandering around to pass the time and take in fresh air that didn’t smell like manure or wet animals.

The young man noted how many of the shops in this town—like the one selling animals—seemed tailored for a wealthier clientele. Not only were the shops bigger and appointed better with neat storefronts, they also didn’t employ the tactic of yelling at the top of their lungs to advertise their products and draw customers in. Even the streets were swept clean. It made for a much more peaceful walk for the young duke than the usual noisy and chaotic marketplaces.

As Yan Yixuan enjoyed the breeze and the pleasant atmosphere, he smelled something fragrant and followed it, deciding to see if he could find something interesting. As the smell strengthened, the undercurrents of alcohol grew stronger as well.

Yan Yixuan soon found himself at a wine brewery.

The physicians had agreed a while ago that he could now consume alcohol so Yan Yixuan finally decided to take advantage of it. As he stepped into the brewery, he wrinkled his nose and swished open his fan to blow away the strong smell of alcohol.

Seated behind the counter, the brewery’s owner studied this new customer who appeared young and rich.

Though the painting on the fan this young man carried was drawn by no expert, the materials themselves were exquisite, pointing to the painting being a personal customization by someone, most likely as a gift. The fan was also quite well-cared for, showing that its master was fond of it. The shrewd owner thus guessed that it could be a gift from a lover or admirer, and the fact that the young man used the fan despite the mediocre painting on it must mean he was quite smitten with the giver.

Confident in his analysis, the owner rubbed his hands and eagerly approached the young man. “Honored customer, may I ask what you’re looking for?”

Yan Yixuan glanced at him. “Nothing in particular. Do you have any interesting wine to pass the time with?”

The owner’s eyes twinkled. “Why yes, we do!” He hurried to get a small earthen jar from one of the shelves and showed it proudly. “Would you be interested in trying Spring Moon’s Fragrance? It’s said to be a wine that can tighten the bond between lovers when drunk together at night.”

Yan Yixuan chuckled. Drunken sex might indeed improve bonding while inhibitions were lowered at night. And this shop owner was quite observant to know to offer this sort of wine to him. But his interest was nevertheless piqued, so he bought a jar and decided to give it a try during dinner tonight.

Swinging the jar by the rope looped around its neck, Yan Yixuan merrily returned to see if his husband was done yet.

Ning Wei was just finalizing the purchase. The seller promised to deliver the selected donkey to Jian Lan’s location and accept payment once Jian Lan and his wife expressed their satisfaction with it.

In the meanwhile, Ruan Shu had already popped in to take a look at the mansion in the neighboring town that Yan Yixuan had mentioned before. After informing the servants in the mansion of their master’s arrival and instructing them to prepare dinner, Ruan Shu returned with the carriage to pick up the waiting couple and took them to the mansion.

This was the first time Yan Yixuan was visiting this particular residence of his. Ruan Shu, however, had already come here once at the beginning to arrange staff for the mansion’s upkeep.

As Ruan Shu went to check if everything was ready, Yan Yixuan and Ning Wei took their time studying the building as they entered. While this mansion was built in the style of a past era and was only a third of the size of the main residence in the capital, it still exuded an old charm and was cozy.

After the couple settled their things in their chambers, Ruan Shu called them to eat and the three men partook of a warm and hearty dinner. Near the end, Yan Yixuan broke out the wine he bought and they happily celebrated how Yan Yixuan’s health had improved enough to enjoy it.

“Why did you buy a mansion out here if you weren’t going to use it much?” Ning Wei asked his husband curiously.

Yan Yixuan shrugged and took another swig of his wine. “This place was a reward from the empress after I helped the court resolve some issue.”

Ruan Shu narrowed his eyes. “I’m always suspicious about the empress’s intentions behind her generosity.”

Chuckling, the younger man nodded and revealed, “Sister Nuo did say that there was a secret hidden somewhere nearby and that she was looking forward to seeing what I’d do upon discovering it, so you’re not wrong in doubting that she’s digging pits for me again. But I’m not interested in playing into her hands so she will have to remain waiting.”

Ning Wei asked curiously, “Could this secret be a good thing, like buried treasure or the like?”

But Yan Yixuan shook his head. “Sister Nuo wouldn’t use anything that obvious. This supposed secret is most likely to have some twisted story behind it and will be of questionable value to us. Since it’s something Sister Nuo wants me to find, it’s most likely something shocking more than anything.”

Ruan Shu recalled something and chortled. “Speaking of the empress, this town is just about rife with gossip and drama. It certainly seems like a place that commotion-loving woman would like. Too bad that all the gossip is about little household matters and nothing about important things like the happenings in the capital or the rest of the empire or it would be a veritable treasure trove of information.”

“This place seems remarkably isolated,” Yan Yixuan noted. “I wouldn’t be surprised if only the juiciest of rumors made their way in here from outside.”

“Both this town and the one beside it are too far away from any main roads, so it can’t be helped,” Ning Wei said. “But isn’t this remoteness what makes it such an ideal place for a vacation?”

Yan Yixuan hummed in agreement and poured some more wine for himself to drink. He was almost used to the alcohol burning his throat and was now learning to appreciate the flavor underneath.

“It’s interesting in a way,” Ruan Shu spoke thoughtfully. “From what little I learned till now it seems this town’s remoteness, combined with the lack of traffic from outsiders, ended up with it being known as a haven for runaways and elopers to hide in. I suppose that’s why the local drama is so high.”

Ning Wei’s eyebrows rose. “Now that’s a strange thing to become known for.”

“Indeed.” Ruan Shu leaned forward with a gossipy expression. “Remember the scandal about the Lan household’s old aunt running away with their steward? They seem to have gone through here as well.”

Ning Wei’s eyes shone as he leaned forward inquisitively as well. “Oh? Wasn’t it said that they escaped to the steward’s hometown in some mountains?”

“Yes, but they arrived here first to hide for a while and procured an oxcart from the animal rearing establishment you visited earlier,” Ruan Shu happily regaled his avid audience. “It was only then that they loaded up all their belongings and fled to the steward’s hometown. It’s said that the Lan household still hasn’t been able to find that hometown since the information the steward provided while joining the household was false.”

Hands itching for some melon seeds, Ning Wei remarked, “Did that aunt who eloped with the steward know the truth?”

Ruan Shu shrugged. “If she didn’t before, she must have by now. If she finds it unlikable, she’ll probably return to the Lan household on her own anyway.”

Ning Wei folded his arms and nodded. “That makes sense.”

Meanwhile, unknown to the gossiping pair, Yan Yixuan had merrily finished the rest of the wine by himself.

Since this was his first time drinking so deeply, he didn’t know how to tell if a particular wine was strong and how much was too much for someone without alcohol tolerance built up yet. The most Yan Yixuan had ever had before was the cupful of wine before his wedding night, and even that had caused him to feel a little tipsy.

As a result, he was now splendidly drunk.

Yan Yixuan’s eyes had begun to glint and grew hooded. A slight arrogant smile bent his wine-slickened lips. Despite the lazy languidness to his posture, there was an air of imposing wildness about him.

If Ning Wei thought that the Yan Yixuan during their wedding night was bold and unbridled, he knew nothing.

A thoroughly drunk Yan Yixuan had strangely sharpened rather than growing duller, and his gaze was dark and intense as it fixated on his husband. His fingers rubbed into his armrest as if venting some agitation.

When Ruan Shu saw this, he prudently excused himself without guilt and abandoned Ning Wei to the young man’s clutches.

His own mind immersed in the light haze of alcohol, Ning Wei felt a frisson of excitement at the seductive way his husband looked at him. He licked his lips and asked, “My, Ah-Xuan, you’re looking at me so hungrily even though we just had dinner.”

Yan Yixuan smiled wider and leaned into him in a slow and deliberate motion. Nipping the edge of Ning Wei’s ear, he murmured huskily, “As my husband, you have to feed me well in all ways.”

Ning Wei almost shivered. His ear tingled and his skin was beginning to feet hot and tight. “Yes. Shall we go to our room so I can fulfill my duties?”

Yan Yixuan’s eyes sparkled as he directly began pulling the general towards their bedroom in answer. Slamming the door closed and latching it, Yan Yixuan brashly pushed Ning Wei back against a wall and gave him a fiery kiss with the burning taste of alcohol.

It took a moment before Ning Wei could recover enough to reciprocate. But Yan Yixuan’s tongue and lips were so overwhelmingly aggressive in devouring him that Ning Wei felt like he was drowning in liquid heat.

Yan Yixuan only leaned back when he ran out of air. His eyes shone like bright coals while his cheeks were flushed. He smiled wickedly and whispered playfully in a hoarse voice, “I’ve never ridden a warhorse before. Let’s try it.”

Dazed from the kiss and bewitched by his husband’s arousing proposition, Ning Wei had barely nodded when the eager young man dragged him off to press him into the bed. With quick and nimble fingers that belied his drunkenness, Yan Yixuan divested them both of their clothing.

Panting lightly, Yan Yixuan tried to directly lower himself onto his husband with enthusiasm. Thankfully, Ning Wei remembered to stop him so he could quickly prepare his beloved. All the while, the impatient Yan Yixuan took his revenge at being interrupted by murmuring into Ning Wei’s flushed ear:

“Ah-Wei, hurry up. How long are you going to keep your husband waiting before serving me with that sturdy shaft of yours?”

“Hnn, don’t you want to thrust in deep and feel me all hot and tight around you?”

“Oh, that feels delicious… Husband, your long fingers feel so good inside me. It’s making me so hot…”

“Ah, how much longer? Ah-Wei, my little mouth underneath is starving to eat you all up. Feed me quickly, quickly, quickly~”

The constant barrage of provocation was interspersed with teasing little nibbles and licks to rile Ning Wei up even more.

Clenching his jaws to control himself, Ning Wei silently swore vengeance on that wicked mouth of his little fox’s after he was done with that so-called lower mouth of his.

However, no sooner had Ning Wei finished the preparation than Yan Yixuan eagerly forced himself atop his husband’s shaft, swallowing the entire rigid length into his body in one go. Ning Wei arched back in a gasp, his thoughts of retaliation scattering away like so much sand in the wind. Without giving Ning Wei any time to recover, Yan Yixuan pumped his hips with single-minded focus, his teeth bared in a savage grin and eyes full of uncontrollable frenzy.

The sudden waves of pleasure washing over them rolled on and on in time with Yan Yixuan’s frantic movement, stopping only when the young man reached his release. He bowed over a dazed Ning Wei, elbows bracketing his husband’s body as he stiffened and shuddered under the wash of inexpressible ecstasy.

Yan Yixuan’s dilated pupils turned his eyes black as he peered deeply into Ning Wei’s eyes. His body sheathed in sweat and flushed with exertion, he whispered in a hoarse, quavering voice, “Not enough, it’s still not enough. Ah-Wei, fuck me more!” He pulled the general’s hand up to rest it on his stomach. “You have to feed me till my belly is full to the point of bulging.”

Not having climaxed yet, Ning Wei was already wound tight with unfulfilled need. Unable to bear this extra provocation, he growled and spun Yan Yixuan onto the bed, their bodies still connected.

Yan Yixuan groaned in approval and patted his shoulders. “Hurry, hurry, hurry…”

Gripping his thirsty little husband’s hips, Ning Wei pulled out and rammed back in full force. Yan Yixuan arched back with a cry, then moaned thickly as his husband continued plunging into him with fierce strokes.

Yan Yixuan’s naughty hands gleefully explored Ning Wei’s straining body while his legs clamped around his waist possessively. His heels pressed into Ning Wei’s buttocks, wordlessly urging him to go faster and faster. Along with the liquid squelch of a soft and moist passage being plundered, there was also the loud thump of two bodies slamming against each other violently, unheeding of the soreness such forceful impact had on their hips.

When the young man wasn’t letting out throaty, uninhibited cries or calling his husband’s name in a seductively husky whisper, he was busy goading him:

“Ah-Wei, Husband, can you feel my lower mouth sucking you in greedily? Can you feel how much it loves you?”

“Harder ah! Fuck me so hard my insides come up my throat!”

“Faster, go faster! Why are you being so careful? Are you fucking your husband or threading a needle?”

“Mmh… I want to feel your release shoot up all the way into my stomach and stuff it so fully that I won’t feel hungry for days…”

And then Yan Yixuan slipped his fingers into his husband’s sweat soaked hair to pull his face close, whispering seductively while Ning Wei was in the throes of another orgasm, “Ah-Wei, still not enough… Mess me up until I can’t close my legs tomorrow.” His voice rasped roughly against the general’s sensitive ear, “Conquer me, my darling general.”

And so, egged on and on with such brazen demands spoken in a sultry voice, Ning Wei’s lust was pushed into new and towering heights throughout the night. The way Yan Yixuan’s passage clenched and wrung him dry as the young man writhed as if under the thrall of excruciating pleasure didn’t help either. And then there was the way Yan Yixuan would throw back his head and laugh with unhidden exhilaration whenever Ning Wei pounded into him with particular ferocity.

To put it simply, Ning Wei had no way to resist the wiles of his seductively wild fox demon.

By the time it ended, a certain pitiful warhorse had completely exhausted himself and Yan Yixuan could no longer hold up against the constraints of his body and fainted.

When Yan Yixuan woke up, tight pain burned his waist, back, and legs. Not only did it feel like his head was being crushed under the weight of an enormous boulder, it also felt like a similarly sized boulder had been unceremoniously shoved up his ass and used to thoroughly scrub his inner walls. His insides felt painful and thick, prickling as if stabbed full of very thin, hot needles.

Yan Yixuan made all of one attempt to get up before wisely giving up and flopping back onto the bed lifelessly. Though it wasn’t as bad as it would have been a year ago, it still hurt enough that he wished he could detach from his body temporarily.

Ning Wei stumbled into the room, black bags hanging under his eyes. Seeing that the young man was awake, something akin to remembered embarrassment and apprehension flittered through his gaze. The great general who had seldom been so thoroughly wrung out couldn’t help but recall last night’s haze of mad passion with some fear.

Yan Yixuan would laugh if he didn’t feel the same.

With some effort, the young man squeezed words out of his raw throat, “The next time I see so much as a cup of wine, I’m going to smash it to the ground.”

Ning Wei nodded in wholehearted agreement. Wine was indeed evil!

The two victims Yan Yixuan and Ning Wei shared a glance full of commiseration with their equally panda-like eyes, wordlessly deciding on keeping the roguish fox demon that had been released yesterday thoroughly sealed from now on.

When the pair of husbands dragged their aching bodies out for breakfast, Ruan Shu was shocked at their state.

“What happened to you both?” he asked amusedly and took a relaxed sip from his bowl of hangover soup. “I thought you’d gone to tumble into bed, not tumble off a rocky cliff.”

Ning Wei cast a glare at Ruan Shu before huffily ignoring him.

Yan Yixuan sighed tiredly and stated, “What can we do? That wine was cursed.” With an expression of regret, he went on, “It caused me to be possessed by an evil fox demon who mauled my poor Ah-Wei all night long.”

Ruan Shu sprayed out his soup. “Wh-What?!”

Ning Wei felt a smidgen of glee at Ruan Shu’s little misfortune after he made fun of their tragic states. Smiling to himself, he sipped from his own little bowl of hangover soup and solemnly pondered on the evils of wine.

 

Mini Theater

Just as they start drinking the wine–

Ning Wei, innocently musing: What is a fully drunk Ah-Xuan going to be like? Maybe he’ll be soft and cute like when he was under the influence of drugs in the carriage? But he was also boldly sensual after a cup of wine on our wedding night. Maybe it’ll be a mix of both. I can’t wait to find out.

The Drunken Yan Yixuan, cackling evilly: More, more, more! Let my lower mouth devour you until your sack shrivels up!

Ning Wei, already exhausted enough to cry: ……

This general admits defeat. It was my imagination that was too lacking!

9