Ch 10. Keeping the watch
2k 10 49
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I am the commander of this damned tank but why the hell do I have to sit on this idiot’s lap?

If only I was able to properly see the optics from the commander’s sit. Right now I am just getting in the gunner’s way.

Turn to the left here.” I ordered Old man to drive us to the village’s gate. Whoever came here, we must be ready.

“Commander, are you alright?” (J)

Shut up and don’t get in my way.

Buka…” [Bugaboo…] (J)

I ignored him, for now we should both focus on the outside.

We drove to the gate and stopped the machine.

Lift me up, Jester. I need to see what is going on there.” Thankfully he did not open his mouth and just opened the hatch.

“Here you go, tell when you’re done.” (J)

Got it.

I was looking at the hill where another regiment stood. I was looking at their banners and insignias of their unit. The elder showed me how they should be looking like.

Neither of the symbols was coinciding with the known to the villagers. I shouted to the people around.

Those who will not be talking, go away and hide! Where is the elder!?” The mass started moving and I returned to the observation.

The armor and other clothing said nothing to me, I am not a historian to tell apart what is what. However, if one showed me soldier in NATO uniform and gave a rifle, I’d hit the invader from 2 kilometers. With a tank gun.

A couple of horsemen rode here and met with the villagers.

Put me down. Everyone, be ready.

Immediately a quarrel started. I decided to be faster if the things get out of our control. Luckily, the talk soon calmed and the delegates started talking normally. The people were tense but no conflicts happened. The villagers returned.

Report.

W-what? We talked to them and that’s it!” The villagers don’t get that there is a piece of metal with explosive filling inside the barrel. And whether it will be fired is up to them.

Who are they?

They are from Theocracy of Ludviger, they said that they are our Lord’s allies in the war and that in two days our army will arrive.” Finally I was able to calm down.


We decided not to lose the vigilance and kept the tank right behind the gate, in the army’s clear view. The others remained inside but I was lying on the turret’s top. I both kept watch and was having the prescribed rest.

The surroundings were becoming darker with every minute but I spotted a movement outside. A horseman arrived to the gate.

Alert!” I shouted and 4 militiamen arrived at once and met the messenger.

I am far away so I can’t hear their talk. I had to wait until one of the locals ran back to me to report.

The Theocracy’s troops want to stay in the village. What should we do?

Tell them that we are fine with them staying OUTSIDE of the village. If they have problems, shout out to me and we will remind them of their place.” I showed at the gun. We already unloaded HE and in case something happens we will load AP to avoid excessive damage. Not to mention we can just shoot through the palisade logs.

The messenger started gesticulating and shouting.

Soldiers, do something!” The villager cried to me.

When the army forces started moving, I began the actions.

Jester, load the crowbar. Aim lower, just don’t hit ‘em. Pretty please?

Ne mogu otkazat’ v stol miloy pros’be, milady. Poluchite, raspishites’.” [Can’t refuse such a pretty request, milady. Take it and sign up here.] A silenced voice of Jester responded from inside.

Whuuu-ch-whuu

‘Clack’ I reloaded the Kord and prepared to participate, just in case.

Waiting.” (J)

Fire in 5 seconds.” I knocked the metal top and covered my ears with the earplugs.

BOOM

‘Whu-pum-whu’ The case was dropped out of the vehicle.

After seeing a flash and a crowbar landing in front of them, the army immediately stopped and retreated back to where they were before.

1 more hour until my shift here will be over…


“Commander, good kids should be going to sleep.” Jester got out of the vehicle to replace me.

Go to hell, I am not a child.

Jester’s POV

And she yawned, like a child. She fell asleep faster than a baby with full stomach after mother’s lullaby.

While I had nothing to do I started cutting branches with a knife. Might try to learn how to make those wood decorations our praporshik was bragging about. Just 4 more hours…

At least I am here, in the open air, not in the gaswagen with gun fumes. And I have a nice, eye-pleasing  loudmouth commander. She is just so much better with her damned mouth shut.

Occasionally I glanced at the army through binoculars she left here, measured the distance, cut branches…

Just why is this night so long?

Belov x Jester.
  • Just a couple's bickering. Lovers' quarrels are soon mended. Votes: 8 44.4%
  • The friendly argue, nothing else. Votes: 9 50.0%
  • They really hate each other... Votes: 1 5.6%
Total voters: 18 · This poll was closed on Oct 13, 2020 07:00 PM.
49