Ch 73. Planning the siege
396 1 13
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I examined the fort from the distance.

It is a rectangle walled area with defenses made of logs, with watchtowers at the corners. Inside there are a couple of log buildings, and possibly tents.

If my knowledge of medieval fortifications is correct, they set up tents inside for accommodation.

I can only see the outer wall and what sticks out from behind it.

There may be a moat but for now it is invisible because of darkness.

I will draw a map. It’s yours.” I let Jester use the binoculars.

While I was marking the visible parts of the fort, and the suspected layout, Jester studied the fort.

I’m done.’ I passed him the map. Jester started comparing everything.

I am ready.’ (J)

Take your time. We will be staying here for a long time.

While Jester was busy with comparing everything and adding his draws, I was looking at the patrols. The regular patrols’ routes were added to the map.

A GRU team would do it better but I plan to use them for something else.


When the sun showed up, we discussed everything and finalized the map draw.

So?’ (J)

I really want to sleep… We’ll talk this through right now, or after I take a nap?

We’re staying here for the entire day too…?’ He looked heartbroken.

The day activities should be logged too.

F*.’ (J)

Fine, let’s talk later. Keep your eyes open.’ I backed out from the position, and curled in a bush 10 meters away. A short sleep is better than none, especially for this stupid body.

The sleep was short. According to my wristwatch, I slept for two hours.

I crawled back to the position.

Go.’ It is time to switch.

Thanks a lot.’ Jester passed me the map. He added all of the information a gunner would care about. The heights, the angles, the possible targets.

Jester slept for a couple of hours too. When he returned we were ready to summarize.

We did some preliminary discussions, and observed the fort until the evening.


When the night fell, we returned to the tank.

We all gathered at the engine cover. I sat on top of it, and put down the map.

After I briefed about the situation, I started telling my finalized plan.

We will start with opening fire at those locations. The missed shells should create an effect that we can’t take the fort. After we cause some noise, we will take down a number of enemies, and when they counterattack, we will drive away to this position. The enemy will be on their toes, and call for reinforcements.

“It sounds like a plan. Now, tell me where the f* am I supposed to hide a huge chunk of metal that is visible from a kilometer, and hearable from 10?” (O)

I was thinking of this area. There is a forest, and a ravine.

Aha? And you think you are the only smarta* here? Won’t they search everything around…?” (O)

Zadachi ostatsa neobnoruzhennimy net, yest zadacha rastrevozhit’ ih. Ezheli naydut, eto ne takaya I bolshaya problema.” [There is no task of being undetectable, there is a task of making them be on alert. If they find us then it is not a huge issue.]

Old man rubbed his forehead, and glanced around.

Is you say so. Then what about the approaches? Will we be using the same road all the time?” (O)

I suggest you take a look around too. I was going to keep our appearances constant and from the same place but you better check everything yourself. Maybe you will spot something too.

Who’s going with him?” Jester glanced at me.

You guess it.

Ha?” (J)

The initiative f*s the initiator. You forgot?

This just isn’t fair!” (J)

From since I cared for your opinion~? Get moving.

Yes, sir…” (J)

“Captain.” Old man called out.

What is it?

“I will stick to your plan. We better not to risk going.” (O)

What word have you heard when I said ‘suggest’?

“You said ‘I don’t care, search for your own problems’.” I patted him, and gestured to help me get down.

Old man picked me up, and lowered me to the ground.

Well, you know better.

In the end Old man decided to go. Jester will be grumbling but it is his problem, not mine.

I tried to find a comfortable place. I climbed into the tent, and hid inside the sleeping bag.

The air was cold, and I will be freezing, unless I stay here.

13