Ch 83. Bingo
364 4 13
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The operation ‘Get rid of everything outside’ was successful.

In the noon we set up a camp far enough from the capital’s walls, while still being capable of seeing what is happening.

Would there be anything capable of shooting this far?

A catapult?” (J)

Aha? And how would they bring a huge piece of wood all the way up there?” I showed on the walls.

No idea. All I know is that when a general says ‘sweep the parade ground with a crowbar’, you start sweeping it with a crowbar.” Jester shrugged his shoulders, and sipped some tea.

Looks like we’ll have to keep watching out for troubles…” I reached a very disappointing conclusion, and stirred the contents of our lunch.

Today’s menu is: porridge with dried soy meat and leftover vegetables, all finely chopped with a bayonet.

We have overstretched our capabilities by now.

The MRE are almost all eaten, so are the ‘fresh’ supplies provided by the allies. Almost all the time we were spending on moving ahead, ambushing, and other tactically significant stuff. Hence we had no time to replenish our supplies. A couple of drops is not the same as an entire truck of supplies.

While I was focused on stirring the food, Old man approached and started the report.

“We are very low on fuel. We will need at least 1200 liters of diesel.” (O)

Wow… We surely are lucky to reach this far on the supplies we had.

Somebody has forgotten about lack of logistics in here.” (O)

I can’t argue with that. I expected the allied forces to be a bit faster.” After all, we wouldn't drive around so much if they were just walking faster.

We were not exactly waiting for them to come, and I rushed everyone towards the capital to keep the initiative, and I completely forgot that we are not dealing with motorized infantry. If I am correct, the allied armies should start arriving by tomorrow. Only then we will be able to start acting again.

“Next on the list is the suspension. The road wheels are fine, but I am sure I heard a crunch. I think I know which torsion has broken. I guess we’d have to wait for the repairs. Since we are going to remove the tracks for a while, how about we also do the maintenance for them?” (O)

Sounds good to me. When we get a secure environment, we really should get busy with repairs. The engine?

“Nothing I can’t do even out here.” (O)

I think it’s better to wait then.

“Fine, just don’t do another forced march. The engine will handle it, unlike the suspension.” I nodded.

The porridge was done, so it was the time to eat.

I see movement. Eat faster, I’m dying.” I picked up the rifle, and lied behind the turret. Should the enemy try to do something stupid – I will make them regret it.

There was some activity on the walls, but no significant developments happened before the guys ate their share.

“Give me the rifle, I’ll take your place.” Jester lied down on the same place, and watched how the enemy soldiers were running back and forth on the walls.

I quickly finished the porridge, and climbed back on the tank.

Any movements?

“Nothing. They were changing the guards. They are just standing there, and the gates are closed too.” I was relieved that no fight would happen right now.

Still, we maintained some level of vigilance.


When it started getting dark, a large group of people appeared on the main road. It was the allied army.

Turn on the lights. I want them to come here, not the other way around.

Yeah… We worked so hard, so now is the time to rest.” (J)

You’re just a lazy butt. Why the hell should we start the engine and drive to them? Just to cross 300 meters?

Whatever… I want to sleep…” He leaned on the breech.

The army did not approach us either. They camped almost as soon as they arrived. No guard posts, no patrols, they just outright set up tents and went to sleep.

What the hell are they even doing…?” I only muttered, and tried to sleep.

The next day things started happening: when we woke up there were much more soldiers than arrived in the dusk, and they were actually trying to surround the capital.

I was a bit excited to see how a medieval siege would happen.

For now, the allies were only spreading out and setting up tents.

I opened the hatch, and climbed out.

From my vantage point I quickly found the possible location of this unit’s command, and headed there.

When I approached the tent, the guards were clearly confused, and one of them peeked inside and asked what to do with me.

He quickly retreated away from the entrance, and a man in armor emerged from the tent.

What pipsqueak were you talking abo…? It… it’s you?!” We both stared at each other. It was the officer I met months ago, in a small village which I almost forgot about.

13