Ch 84. The united front
325 1 14
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The officer put down a cup of warm water, and sat down at the opposite side of the table.

It’s a small world, huh?” (O)

Sure it is.” I drank some warm water, and warmed up myself.

I was told the higher ups gathered every available army to siege the capital, but I never thought you will continue serving as mercenary here. There are so many more rich countries.” (O)

We are soldiers, and we do what we know best: order-execution-report-back, and repeat.” We both started laughing.

Do you need the information on our plans?” (O)

I believe duke Valencio informed me well enough. But I won’t refuse any information on the location of the allied forces, and the orders on what to do.

Valencio? I thought the duke’s army was routed and dispelled? Did he stand behind the regrouping of the kingdom’s military?” The officer put a map on the table.

There is also ‘Lord Commander’.

Ah! Now that makes sense.” (O)

Our pleasant conversation, bragging, and discussing continued for a long time.

From what I learnt, there are almost 30 000 men coming towards the capital. This squad is just a vanguard to secure the road, and the rest are going to come within three days.

After the officer’s reassurance that ‘those lazy bastards’ will take all the necessary precautions, I left him to sort out the problems at his hand.


While our crew was busy with confirming the next supply drop list, a messenger came.

Lord Captain! The enemy opened the gates! There is a negotiator coming!” The messenger grabbed me by the arm, and dragged me all the way to the allied encampment.

By the time we arrived, the negotiator had arrived, and was discussing something with the officer. Or, rather, the officer was shouting at the negotiator.

What is going on?

You are just in time! Tell this puffed up snob that…!” I immediately kicked him in the shin.

Is the kingdom so weak that they require children to fight?” The negotiator sneered.

From his clothes I could see that he was not exactly a military man. He was well-dressed, neat, and tidy. Even I, the one who lives in the enlightened times of space flights and soap, am wearing dirty uniform that begs to be washed.

Well, do crawl for several hours, lie down on the dirty tank for no less time, and keep on exercising by running around because of those idiots.

‘Children’ have good eyesight, and have better brain than some of the officers.” I looked at both of them.

So, will anybody tell me what the f* is going on?” The negotiator was taken aback by my wording, but started talking.

We demand that your pitiful excuse of an army leaves the area immediately. Should you fail to abide, we will have no option but to sortie and have a fight. Our noble pride demands us to be amiable to our Beyern brethren. If you agree to retreat at once, you will be allowed to do so, while keeping all of your banners, supplies, and weapons.” (N)

It is a wonderful suggestion, but I have to remind you, that it is Beyern capital we are talking about. Not to mention, there is an army incoming. In your stead, I’d negotiate the corridor for YOUR troops to retreat. Then there will be no need for us to fight.

You seem not to realize your situation. You are outnumbered, and before any reinforcements arrive, you will all be killed.” (N)

Great.” The negotiator’s face twitched.

I’d rather die fighting, than bear the title of ‘coward’ for the rest of my life.” I raised my voice, so the allied troops would hear.

We are fighting in the name of His Majesty, and His kingdom! We do not fear death, because we are men!” The allied officer got what I wanted to do.

The negotiator was looking at us as if we were two idiots.

So, are you implying you are not going to accept our offer?” (N)

Hell no, buddy.

A donkey is your buddy!” He shouted.

Whatever you say, sir ‘Donkey’.

You insolent, ignorant…!” The negotiator turned around, clenched his fist and raised his arm. Then he swung it down, and the gates opened again.

Get ready for a fight!” I shouted into the radio.

14