Ch 90. A fateful picture
321 4 13
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I reached the allied force’s camp less than two hours after I encountered them arriving.

It is a good thing that I have arrived promptly, but it has one slight issue.

WHAT ARE YOU LOOKING AT?!

N-NOTHING!” A very attentive soldier managed to catch my attention, and was ready for a public execution.

NOTHING IS WHEN YOUR D* IS CUT OFF AND STUFFED INTO YOUR A*. THAT IS NOTHING.” When I overwhelmed the surprised soldier with shouting, the soldier suddenly looked to a side, and became blank as a bedsheet.

Captain, you have a… ‘curious’ sense of fashion…” After I turned around, I saw the Lord Commander. His face was reddened, and he was looking to a side.

Are you a f* maiden? Never mind, are you going to the duke?” The man’s face twitched, and he turned around without saying a word. Only after he was facing the other way he hissed.

Yes…” (LC)

We were going through a bustling encampment. The soldiers were setting up tents, cleaning weapons, and cooking food. Here and there were moving people with logs and branches for some constructions. A bit further away I saw soldiers doing the second most favorite activity of Russian army: shoveling.

Are they building something there?

Yes, they are. The capital is going to be harder to siege, and we are preparing to construct siege engines.” (LC)

I was curious to see how a large bunch of logs and branches would turn into a dreadful medieval weapon, and whether it will be more dangerous to our side, than to the enemy.

Still, a walk through the encampment reached its end, as we approached a large tent with a peculiar guard outside.

Valencio was standing outside, and looking at us approaching.

What is it, breathing some fresh air?” I ridiculed the nonchalant supreme commander.

As if, one’s shouting could be heard from anywhere in the camp. It would be a shame not to greet our dear Captain in person.” The duke returned my words with a grin.

We entered, and proceeded to a poorly-made table.

Without further ado I put every paper written on the table, and started running through the contents.

The first thing I did was briefing about the local situation we’ve discovered, and the engagements we had. I specifically emphasized the information about the ‘tank’, and the ways to turn it into a garbage pile it was once.

The next on the list was of course the current location of the allied forces, the tank, the firing positions, and the discovered locations of enemy fortifications and siege engines’ positions. Including those discovered by Rapier.

Both Valencio and Lord Commander attentively listened to everything I had to tell them.

The last thing is the current situation. The tank is going to be combat-ready within 24 hours at most. However, I am sure you don’t plan to attack in the near future. For this reason, I sent in the recon. My people have infiltrated the city, and are gathering intel as we speak. I will be providing updates every day at the 20:00. For those who don’t get it, at the dusk. Any questions?

Yes, there is one. Have your spies found any notable individuals within the capital’s walls?” (V)

Hm… Ah, yes, there was a series of photos sent.” I searched for a bunch of images, and then put them on the table.

Valencio immediately took them, and started murmuring something.

He was murmuring what appeared to be names and titles.

‘… and viscount Darrel…’ (V)

Anything I need to know?

Don’t concern yourself with the traitors. It does not change anything in our task.” (V)

If you say so.

Then, he reached the last image.

The duke stared at it for several minutes, silently.

What is it?” I had to shake him to make him respond.

Ah? Ah! It… it’s…” I looked at him with expectation of an answer.

I think… I may know who that is…” (V)

What I found out that day changed the entire plan I had for the GRU operatives.

13