The Tokugawa Shogunate part 1
145 0 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The Tokugawa Shogunate (徳 川 幕府 Tokugawa bakufu, 1603-1868) or the Edo Shogunate (Edo bakufu) was a feudalist military dictatorship in Japan founded by Tokugawa Ieyasu and led by the shogun of the Tokugawa family from generation to generation. In the historical period of Japan, the reign of the Tokugawa shogunate was called the Edo period, because the capital was located in Edo which is now Tokyo. The Tokugawa Shogunate ruled from the Edo Palace to the Meiji Restoration.

 The Tokugawa Shogunate is the third and final military dictatorship in Japan after the Kamakura Shogunate and the Muromachi Shogunate. The Tokugawa Shogunate began on March 24, 1603 with the appointment of Tokugawa Ieyasu as Sei-i Taishōgun (征 夷 大 将軍) which means Supreme Commander of the Expeditionary Forces against the Brutes (term "Taishōgun" means commander of the armed forces) and ended when Tokugawa Yoshinobu returned power to the emperor (Taisei Hōkan) on November 9, 1867.

 The 264-year rule of the Tokugawa shogunate is referred to as the Edo period or the Tokugawa period. The last period of the Tokugawa shogunate, which was marked by rampant movements to overthrow the Tokugawa shogunate, was known as the Bakumatsu.

 Oda Nobunaga and his successor Toyotomi Hideyoshi were Japanese leaders in the Azuchi Momoyama era who succeeded in establishing a central government after successfully uniting the provinces in the Sengoku era. After the Battle of Sekigahara in 1600, the power of the central government was seized by Tokugawa Ieyasu who completed the process of taking power and received the title Sei-i Taishōgun in 1603. Tokugawa Ieyasu did not qualify as a shogun because he was not a descendant of the Minamoto clan. In order to fulfill the main requirements of becoming a shogun, Ieyasu faked his lineage to become a descendant of the Minamoto clan in order to be appointed as shogun. Ieyasu's descendants served from generation to generation as shogun and head of government until the Meiji Restoration.

 During the Tokugawa Shogunate, the Japanese people were divided according to a class system based on the class divisions created by Toyotomi Hideyoshi. The samurai class was at the top of the hierarchy, followed by peasants, craftsmen and merchants. Rebellions often occurred due to the rigid division of the class system and did not allow people to change classes. The tax imposed on farmers is always a fixed amount regardless of inflation. The samurai who controlled the land had to suffer the consequences, because the amount of tax that was collected was getting smaller and smaller. Tax disputes often sparked clashes between wealthy peasants and respectable but less affluent samurai. The clashes often sparked local riots to large-scale rebellions, which generally could be quelled immediately. The anti-Tokugawa shogunate group grew stronger after the Tokugawa shogunate adopted a policy of allying itself with foreign powers.

 After losing the Boshin War which culminated in the Meiji Restoration, the Tokugawa shogunate was overthrown by the emperor's alliance with a number of influential daimyo. The Tokugawa shogunate officially ended after the 15th Tokugawa shogunate, Tokugawa Yoshinobu, stepped down and power was returned to the emperor (Taisei Hōkan).

 “Shogun! We detected a change in weather directed towards the southwest. The southwest sky was as dark as night! ” The Tokugawa Shogunate's Weather and Climate Observer reports to the Shogun.

 "Do not worry! Even though we have many enemies nowadays, according to the prediction the emperor will soon come to our territory. Foreign merchants who wear bright green clothes. "The Japanese Emperor's predictions were highly trusted by the Japanese people at this time.

 “(Sighs heavily) Shogun !!! I'm sorry I shouted at you, Big Yacht with foreign flags. People dressed like us are Green, but they are apparently from the Southwest. ”The Shogun's housekeeper reported that there were foreigners at the port.

 "If they are our enemies, finish them off !! If they are well-mannered Foreign merchants, take good care of them and without violence! Truly they are in the future! " The shogun ordered his troops to welcome the foreigners.

 "We do it! We beg to resign! "

 At the port, The people speak a foreign language that we have never heard, if it is European, the language is not like that. Then someone approached us Tokugawa Shogunate Soldiers. That person was a young man who seemed to be their leader, it was seen that they were following the young boy walking behind him.

 “Introduce yourself! What is the purpose of all of you visiting our Shogun Territory? " The Portuguese Veteran soldiers who were in the Shogun's army asked the young man.

 "We are a merchant as well as a representative for Southeast Asia, we do not carry any weapons"

 Allah Subhanahu Wa Ta'ala said:

 يايها الذين امنوا اذا تداينتم بدين الى اجل مسمى فا كتبوه وليكتب بينكم كا تب با لعدل ولا يأب كا تب ان يكتب كما علمه الله فليكتب وليملل الذي عليه الحق وليتق الله ربه ولا يبخس منه شيئا فا ن كا ن الذي عليه الحق سفيها او ضعيفا او لا يستطيع ان يمل هو فليملل وليه با لعدل وا ستشهدوا شهيدين من رجا لكم فا ن لم يكونا رجلين فرجل وا مرا تن ممن ترضون من الشهدآء ان تضل احدٮهما فتذكر احدٮهما الا خرى و لا يأب الشهدآء اذا ما دعوا ولا تسئموا ان تكتبوه صغيرا او كبيرا الى اجله ذ لكم اقسط عند الله وا قوم للشها دة وا دنى ا لا ترتا بوا الا ان تكون تجا رة حا ضرة تديرونها بينكم فلي س عليكم جنا ح ا لا تكتبوها وا شهدوا اذا تبايعتم ولا يضآ ر كا تب ولا شهيد وا ن تفعلوا فا نه فسوق بكم و اتقوا الله ويعلمكم الله وا لله بكل شيء عليم

 "O you who believe! If you have debts for a specified time, you should write them down. And let a writer among you write correctly. Don't the writer refuse to write it as Allah has taught him, so let him write it down. And let the debtor dictate, and let him fear Allah his Lord, and let him not take anything away from him. If the person in debt is a person who is unreasonable or weak (his condition), or is unable to dictate himself, then let the guardian dictate it properly. And witness it with two male witnesses among you. If there are (witnesses) two men, then (it is permissible) a man and two women among the people you like from the (existing) witnesses, so that if one forgets then the other reminds him. . And do not let the witnesses refuse when called. And don't get tired of writing it down, for both small and large (the debt) time limit. That is, it is fairer with Allah, can strengthen testimony more, and draws you closer to confusion, unless it is a cash trade that you are running among you, then there is no sin for you if you do not write it down. And take witnesses when you are buying and selling, and don't make it difficult for writers and witnesses as well. If you do (that), then really, that thing is an injustice to you. And fear Allah, Allah gives you teaching, and Allah Knows all things. "

 (Surah Al-Baqarah 2: Verse 282)

 "What is that poem? Even though we don't understand what is being said but our hearts are at ease, is it magic? ” one of the soldiers of the Tokugawa Shogunate talking to his friend.

 "That is the foundation of the country, our holy book of the Qur'an and our aim is only to trade, not to fight!" The young man interrupted the conversation between the two people behind the Portuguese Veteran Soldier in Japanese.

 All the Japanese who were at the port were surprised to see a foreigner speaking fluent and fluent Japanese.

5