Turkish Sultanate
144 7 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The Ottoman Empire, the official name of the Sovereign / Supreme Ottoman Empire (Ottoman Turkey: دولت عليه عثمانیه is often referred to in modern Turkish as Osmanlı İmparatorluğu (Ottoman Empire) or Osmanlı Devleti (Ottoman State); sometimes referred to as the Sultanate of Turkey or Turkey alone; The Ottoman Empire, which was taken from the Western spelling) was a transcontinental empire founded by Turkish tribes under Osman Bey in northwest Anatolia in 1299. After 1354, the Ottomans traversed Europe and began conquering the Balkans, turning the Ottoman state into only a duchy small as a transcontinental country, the Ottomans ended the history of the Byzantine Empire with Mehmed II's 1453 conquest of Constantinople.

 After the dissolution of the Rum Sultanate, led by the Turkish Seljuq dynasty, the predecessor of the Ottomans, in the 1300s, Anatolia split into several independent states (mostly Turkey) called the Ghazi emirate. One of the emirates of Ghazi was led by Osman I (1258 - 1326) and his name is the origin of the name Ottoman. Osman I extended the boundaries of Turkish settlements to the outskirts of the Byzantine Empire. It is unclear how Osman I managed to take control of the neighboring region because little is known about medieval Anatolian history.

 In the century after the death of Osman I, Ottoman rule began to expand into the Eastern Mediterranean and the Balkans. Osman's son, Orhan, conquered the city of Bursa in 1324 and made it the capital of the Ottoman state. The fall of Bursa marked the end of Byzantine control of Northwest Anatolia. The city of Thessaloniki was captured from the Venetian Republic in 1387. The Ottoman victory at Kosovo in 1389 effectively preceded the fall of Serbian rule in the region and paved the way for the expansion of Ottoman territory in Europe. The Battle of Nicopolis in 1396, widely regarded as the last major crusade of the Middle Ages, failed to hold back the advance of the Ottoman Turks.

 As Turkish rule expanded in the Balkans, the strategic conquest of Constantinople became an important task. The Sultanate controlled almost all of the former Byzantine land around the city, but the Byzantine Greeks escaped when the Turk-Mongolian ruler Tamerlane invaded Anatolia in the Battle of Ankara in 1402. He captured Sultan Bayezid I. Bayezid I's capture created chaos among the Turks. The country also experienced a civil war that lasted from 1402 to 1413 as Bayezid's sons fought over the throne. The war ended when Mehmet I ascended as sultan and restored Ottoman rule. His ascension also ended the Interregnum which Fetret Devri called in Ottoman Turkish.

 Some of the Ottoman territories of the Balkans (such as Thessaloniki, Macedonia, and Kosovo) were briefly disengaged after 1402, but were recaptured by Murad II between the 1430s and 1450s. On November 10, 1444, Murad II defeated Hungarian, Polish, and Wallachian forces led by Władysław III of Poland (also King of Hungary) and János Hunyadi at the Battle of Varna, the final battle of the Varna Crusades. [Page needed] Four years later, János Hunyadi prepared his army (consisting of Hungarian and Wallachian troops) to invade Turkey, but was defeated by Murad II in the Second Battle of Kosovo that year.

 Murad II's son, Mehmed II, restructured his country and military, then conquered Constantinople on 29 May 1453. Mehmed allowed the Orthodox Church to retain its autonomy and land in exchange for recognizing Ottoman rule. Due to the poor relations between the countries of Western Europe and the Eastern Roman Empire, many Orthodox residents recognized Ottoman rule instead of Venice.

 In the 15th and 16th centuries, the Ottoman Empire entered a period of expansion. The sultanate prospered under the leadership of a number of sultans who were firm and effective. Its economy also thrived because the government controlled the main overland trade routes between Europe and Asia.

 Sultan Selim I (1512–1520) dramatically expanded the eastern and southern borders of the Ottoman Empire by defeating Shah Ismail of Safavid Persia in the Battle of Chaldiran. Selim I established an Ottoman government in Egypt and deployed his navy to the Red Sea. Following this expansion, competition broke out between the Portuguese Empire and the Ottoman Empire, which were both trying to become a major power in the region.

 Suleiman the Great (1520–1566) annexed Belgrade in 1521, taking control of the southern and central regions of the Kingdom of Hungary as part of the Ottoman – Hungarian Wars. [Not cited] After winning the Battle of Mohács in 1526, he established Turkish rule in what is now Hungary (except the western part) and other Central European territories. He then besieged Vienna in 1529, but failed. In 1532, he launched another attack on Vienna, but was defeated at the Siege of Güns. Transylvania, Wallachia, and Moldavia (temporarily) became subordinate principalities of the Ottoman Empire. To the east, the Ottoman Turks captured Baghdad from Persia in 1535, took control of Mesopotamia, and gained sea access to the Persian Gulf.

 France and the Ottoman Empire united in mutual opposition to the Habsburg rule and became strong allies. The French conquests of Nice (1543) and Corsica (1553) were the result of a collaboration between the armies of King Francis I of France and Suleiman I the Great. The troops were led by Utsmaniyah admiral Khairuddin Barbarossa and Turgut Reis. One month before the siege of Nice, the French assisted the Ottomans by sending an artillery unit to the 1543 conquest of Esztergom. After the Turks made a series of advances in 1543, the Habsburg ruler Ferdinand I officially recognized Ottoman rule in Hungary in 1547.

 In 1559, after the first Ajuuraan-Portuguese war, the Ottoman Empire annexed the weak Adal Sultanate to its territory. This expansion initiated Ottoman rule in Somalia and the Horn of Africa. The annexation also increased Ottoman influence in the Indian Ocean to compete with Portugal.

 At the end of Suleiman's reign, the total population of the Ottoman Empire was 15,000,000 and spread over three continents. In addition, this sultanate became a major sea power that controlled most of the Mediterranean Sea. At that time, the Ottoman Empire was a major part of the European political sphere. Its political and military successes have often been likened to those of the Roman Empire, among others, by the Italian scholar Francesco Sansovino and the French political philosopher Jean Bodin.

 The Ottoman legal system recognized the religious law of its people. At the same time, the Qanun (or Kanun), a secular legal system, coincided with religious law or Sharia. The Ottoman Empire was always structured around a system of local jurisprudence. Legal affairs in the Ottoman Empire were part of a larger scheme to balance central and regional authority. Ottoman power was more concerned with land rights, so that local governments were given space to meet local millet needs. The complicated jurisdiction of the Ottoman Empire was aimed at sparking the integration of cultures and religions from different circles. The Ottoman system had three court systems: one for Muslims, one for non-Muslims involving Jewish and Christian officials who controlled their respective religious communities, and a "commercial court". The whole system is regulated from above, namely Qanuns, i.e. law, a system created on the basis of Yassa and Töre Turk. Both were developed before the emergence of Islam.

 "How is the Movement of the Indonesian Caliphate in Southeast Asia?" A Turkish philosopher asked the Ottoman Ottoman merchant who had just come from the Indonesian Caliphate.

 "The country is prosperous, even Macam and Goats get along well because the government there, they rule very well" The merchant gave information to the Turkish philosopher.

 "In that case, good"

5