Russian Empire With Myriad Conflicts
65 2 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The Russo-Turkish War of 1877–1878 was a war between Russia, Romania, Serbia, Montenegro and Bulgaria against the Ottoman Empire. This war was caused by the rise of nationalism in the Balkans as well as Russia's efforts to prevent the loss of territory due to the Crimean War and reestablish power in the Black sea. The result of this war was the independence of Bulgaria, Romania, Serbia and Montenegro from the Ottoman Empire. Actually, before this war, the problem started like this.

 In the 16th century, Russia was just a small kingdom in Eastern Europe. Due to the small area it owns, the Russian empire is always trying to expand its territory by carrying out several military expansions. The expansion was successful and resulted in a large area to the mainland of Alaska.

 Despite having a large area, the Russian empire did not have many beaches that were potential for trade and shipping. The beach that was owned by this kingdom would freeze when winter arrived, leaving the Black Sea which could still be used as a place for merchant ships to dock.

 The position of the Black Sea juts inland, making many ships have to pass through the Bosphorus Strait. The Bosphorus Strait itself was part of the power of the Ottoman (Turkish) empire, which at that time had not very good relations with Russia. So in order to secure power over the Bosphorus, Russia had the ambition to annex the Ottoman territory on the Balkan Peninsula.

 The Emperor of Russia at that time, Tsar Nicholas I had high confidence that Russia would win and succeed in gaining Ottoman territory. He reasoned that many inhabitants of the Balkans embraced Orthodox Christianity, the official religion of the Russian kingdom. So that many Balkan residents will support Russia.

 Tsar Nicholas I also said that the Ottoman military was not as strong and great as it used to be. He said that the Ottomans would hardly follow the rapid development of military technology in European countries. In other words, Russia believes that their military equipment is much more sophisticated and up to date.

 In order to gain control of the Ottomans, Russia then held brief discussions with France, Great Britain and Austria to form a coalition. But instead of agreeing, these three countries supported the Ottomans. This was done because Great Britain and the Ottomans had good trade cooperation, France still had a grudge against Russia, and Austria feared they could no longer use the Danube River.

 The rejection of these three countries did not make Russia discourage itself from expanding the Ottomans. Until finally the war broke out around Crimea and the Balkan Peninsula. In this war, the allies of the Ottomans increased by joining the kingdom of Sardinia which had a mission to unify the Italian Peninsula through the help of Great Britain and France. Not only that, one of the kingdoms in the archipelago also took part in this war, namely the Indonesian caliphate.

 Not the aid of soldiers or war equipment, the Indonesian Caliphate provided 2,000 Indonesian dinars or around 1,000,000 Spanish dollars to the Ottomans. Because of this assistance, the relationship between the Indonesian Caliphate and the Ottomans became better. The Indonesian caliphate was allowed to fly the Ottoman flag on each of its merchant ships, and was awarded an ottoman named Majidie.

 In a war that became the beginning of modern warfare, Russia suffered defeats on various fronts. Knowing that Russia was in a state of urgency and was on the verge of defeat, the Ottomans had the ambition to dominate Russia's Sevastopol. Despite several obstacles, the Ottomans and their collectors managed to conquer Sevastopol.

 Russia seems not to know the word surrender. Despite losing many soldiers and Sevastopol, Russia continued to carry out attacks on the Ottomans and their coalitions. It was only after Austria threatened to join the Ottomans that Russia entered into a truce and chose to enter into peace talks.

 Peace negotiations carried out in Paris, France succeeded in producing an agreement known as the Paris Treaty on March 30, 1856. And with the agreement of this agreement, the Crimean war which had lasted for approximately 3 years and killed more than 350,000 people was also ended.

 After the end of the Crimean war, the countries involved in the war made several improvements on various fronts. Great Britain is improving its nursing and sanitation systems with the help of Florence Nightingale, Sardinia which unites the Italian Peninsula, and Russia which is making major improvements in the military sector.

 War does not provide much benefit to all parties involved. But from war, the parties involved must also be able to learn lessons. Hopefully whatever conflicts that occur between countries in the present and present, war is not the final way that must be taken.

 In theory, the Russian monarchy was unlimited, and indeed there was no guarantee, legal or economic, to the tsar's arbitrary rule. In practice, however, the degree of control he could exercise over the empire was effectively limited by the size of the state, the lack of administration, and a generally nonmodern concept of politics. As a result, a large proportion of the population rarely feels the weight of the state, which limits its own powers to the maintenance of order and the collection of taxes. Some of the tsarist real subjects, such as the inhabitants of Siberia and the Cossacks, lived in fully autonomous communities, only nominally under the tsarist authority.

 The expansion policy to the east, such as Asia, caused Russia after conflict with Turkey, having to conflict with Japan. The Russo-Japanese War (February 10, 1904 - September 5, 1905) was a very bloody conflict that grew out of the rivalry between the imperialist ambitions of Russia and Japan in Manchuria and Korea. These wars occurred mainly because of the seizure of the city of Port Arthur and the Liaodong Peninsula, plus the rail link from the port to Harbin.

 24,844 killed; 146,519 were injured; 59,218 prisoners of war; China's civilian population is unknown on the Russian side. 47,387 were killed; 173,425 injuries; unknown Chinese civilian population on the Japanese Side.

 In the late 19th and early 20th centuries, various Western countries competed for influence, trade and territory in East Asia while Japan struggled to become a great modern nation. Japan's location prompted it to focus on the Korean Choson Dynasty and the Qing Dynasty in northern China, thus putting the country against its neighbor, Russia. The Japanese attempt to occupy Korea led to the Sino-Japanese War.

 The defeat that China experienced in the war led to the signing of the Shimonoseki Agreement (17 April 1895). With the agreement, China gave up its claim to Korea, and gave up Taiwan and Lüshunkou (often called Port Arthur). However, three Western powers (Russia, the German Empire and the French Third Republic) through the Tri-State Intervention on April 23, 1895 pressured Japan to hand over Port Arthur, and later Russia (in 1898) negotiated a 25-year lease of a naval base with China. Meanwhile, Russian forces occupied most of Manchuria and both Russia and Japan were trying to take over Korea.

 After failing to secure a favorable agreement with Russia, Japan sent an ultimatum on December 31, 1903, broke off diplomatic ties on February 6, and began attacking two days later. The two sides issued a declaration of war on February 10. Under international law, a Japanese attack cannot be considered a covert attack, because an ultimatum has been issued. However, after the Pearl Harbor attack, it is often said that this is an example of how much Japan likes to make surprise attacks.

5