Summoned (1)
6.6k 24 202
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It didn’t take us long to reach the burial site. Due to the number of people there, me and Mr. Willliams were able to seamlessly merge with the crowd.

He went towards the front of the crowd to the head part of the burial plot while I (who was sticking out like a sore thumb due to my attire) went towards where Alice’s group was at. They were situated directly in front of Father Jefferson’s casket, which now has an American flag draped over it.

“What did you and Mr. Williams talk about?”

Alice asked as I approached. Shrugging my shoulders, I said casually.

“Nothing. Mr. Williams just took a trip down memory lane and shared a few war stories with me that’s all.”

There was also that thing about the letter but I won’t be telling her about that at the moment. Although he's trying his best not to act unfazed, I could tell that Patrick was listening in on our conversation. If I was to say that Father Jefferson left me a letter, he’d most definitely want to read it.

It may be hard to believe but Patrick treated Father Jefferson as a role model. Which in my opinion, is completely ironic when considering that their personalities are the exact opposite of each other. One is strict and serious while the other is perverted and lazy.  

“Were any of those stories exciting?”

“Yeah. Who would’ve thought that the old man was a complete commando back in the day? I bet he’d give Rambo a run for his money.”

“Really?... Father Jefferson hardly ever talked about his time in the army.”

“Well, if I get a chance, how about I tell you some of them? I was the one who’d usually ended up listening to him talk about it after all.”

Albeit, the stories he told weren’t usually about guns and glory. But despite this, I’m confident I can fabricate a few tall tales to embellish his stories a little more. 

“Shhh! The priest is starting.”

Throwing a glare my way, Patrick said. However, the look in his eyes said otherwise. They were filled with expectation.

If I were to tell Alice the stories of Father Jefferson’s time while he was in the Vietnam war, I’m pretty sure Patrick would beg her to tell him the stories later.

While I was thinking of this...

“Our Father who art in heaven; Hallowed be thy name…”

Mr. Williams started his prayer, signifying that the last part of the funeral was about to start.

***

Forty-five minutes later…

“Ready! Aim! Fire!”

BANG!

A few of the honor guards that were on standby started their 21 gun salute which was followed by the starting of Taps again. Also, while this was happening, the other guards started to fold the flag that was draped on Father Jefferson’s casket.

After it was folded into a triangle shape with the stars being shown, one of the honor guards then handed it to Father Jefferson’s sister. Once they did that, the honor guards, in an orderly and solemn fashion, left.

Thirty minutes later, Father Jefferson’s casket was lowered into the burial plot with flowers from many of the mourners placed on top of it.

The funeral was over and everyone was starting to leave.

“I’m the son of the man Father Jefferson saved back when he was in Vietnam. It was thanks to him that I was able to see my dad again. So, if there’s anything you need help with, anything at all, please call me.’”

“...Thank you very much. Tyson would’ve been happy to know that the son of the soldier he saved is doing well.”

“Me and my family owe it all to him after all. My father would’ve loved to meet him one last time but he died from a heart attack a few years back. Sigh, God bless his soul.”

A middle-aged man with slightly red eyes said emotionally as he went up and hugged Father Jefferson’s sister. Father Jefferson’s sister was surprised at first but immediately returned the hug.

This guy’s father must be the one Father Jefferson helped save back in Vietnam.

“This goes for you guys too. If you need help, don’t hesitate to ask. I’ll do everything in my power to help.”

Turning his attention towards me and Alice’s group, the middle-aged man said sincerely. With a gentle and heartfelt smile, Alice, acting as the spokesperson for the group, said.

“Thank you. We appreciate it...”

“Could he help with your sentencing? I heard it was pretty long. Do you think he could help shave it off a little?”

While Alice was conversing with the middle-aged man, Kari leaned in and whispered to me.

Showing a bitter smile, I whispered back.

“I wish. Unless he’s a top-notch lawyer or by some unfortunate accident, there are more deaths around here, this is probably going to be the last time that I’m out…Who knows when I'll be able to see these guys again.”

Yeah, they could come visit me (which most of them won’t) but talking through a phone while behind thick glass doesn’t exactly convey feelings like it would when you’re up close and personal.

It’s not a barrier for nothing.

“...That’s true. Sorry for bringing up something like that. I was insensitive.” 

Feeling a little sad for bringing up such a topic, Kari apologizes. Giving my shoulders a shrug, I said a little easy going.

“Don’t worry about it. It’s not your fault that I’m in this situation. I only have myself to blame.”

But do I regret doing what I did? No. No, I do not. Those pieces of shit deserved it. It’s a shame, however, that I couldn’t finish off the last two. 

Tch, it’s all because of that summoning. If it wasn’t because of that, I would’ve…

“Townley, it’s time.”

Snapping me from my thoughts, a familiar voice called out from behind me. Turning around, I saw the veteran guard approaching me. This also drew the gazes of the many mourners my way, including, Alice and Patrick.

“It’s time already? Can’t I stay a little longer?”

I said a little aggrieved. Why did the time go by so fast! I wanted to stay a little longer! The air is crisp here! Alice is here! I wanna stay here!

“Now, now, don't make that face. We got a schedule to keep.”

“Tch, alright. You're lucky that I’m such a cooperative prisoner otherwise, I’d break this ankle bracelet off and run for the hills.”

“Uh-huh, sure. Now come on.”

"..."

But I'm serious though.

Although it isn't much, it's possible that with the very little bit of mana I have now, I could easily rip this ankle bracelet off and escape. 

It's just what comes after escaping will be hard. The police play no jokes when hunting down an escaped convict. If they put their all into finding me, I'm positive that I'll be back in cuffs before the sun rises tomorrow.

"Do you mind if we walk with you?"

Alice, with Kari in tow, suddenly asked the veteran guard. This, in turn, caused Patrick to throw off slurs towards me under his breath. But despite his disagreement, he didn't try to stop her. 

"Sorry, no can do. It'll go against protocol."

Shaking his head at Alice's question, the veteran guard denied firmly.

"Please. This will probably be the  last time I'll ever see him again...Could you please allow me to spend a few minutes longer with my brother please? Please?"

Alice then grabs the hands of the veteran guard and pleaded with puppy eyes. 

Seeing such a cute scene...

"...Fine. Only until we get to the van."

He gave in.

...Wow. Talk about weak. He didn't even last a second. 

"Does she remind you of your daughter? Empty nest syndrome must be hitting hard, huh?"

Showing a sleazy smile, I teased.

"N-no, that's not it. She just reminds me of my granddaughter, that's all. She's around her age."

The old guard's cheeks flushed slightly as he explained. Seeing this unknown and weird side of him, I stepped away from him and said a little disgusted.

"Ew, it turns out you're one of those grandpa's who heavily dotes on their grandchildren. More specifically, granddaughters."

"The way you say it makes me out like a creep."

"That was my intention. Now back away from Alice and lead the way. Didn't you say we had a schedule to keep?"

"...Tch, fine. Follow me. The newbie should've pulled up by now."

A little annoyed, the old guard started walking, leading us to where the van was parked. It was parked directly in front of the cemetery.

"So? Why are you tagging along?"

Turning my attention towards Kari, I asked puzzled. With a wry smile, she said.

"Other than Alice, there's nobody else I know here. Plus, if I was left there by myself, I'd feel awkward being the only one not crying."

"Fair enough. Now, what about you? Why are you tagging along with me?"

I throw this question at Alice as I swivel my head towards her. Showing a sad expression, she slowly.

"...It's because, after this, I'm not going to be seeing you again for a long time. S-so, I wanted to stay with you a little bit longer. I don't want you to go…I want you to stay here. With the orphanage. With Patrick...With me!"

With tears streaming down her face, she suddenly hugs me. It seems that she really didn't want me to go.

"Alice…"

Seeing her like this, I put on a sad and bitter smile.

I forgot that behind that gentle and mature personality of hers, is a girl who's only a little more than 16 years old. And like any girl her age, she has the ability to show her selfishness.

Softly placing my hand on top of her golden silk hair, I gently stroke it and reprimand her.

"Come on now Alice, don't be like that. You know what I did to go to prison in the first place. Which, in my opinion, is a miracle considering they only caught me with that."

I won't go into details but I did a lot of things out here that could've landed me in the jailhouse ten times over. There were many close calls, but luckily I managed to escape every time. From both the police and enemies alike.

"Also, unlike you guys, I don't really have much going for me. Patrick's becoming a lawyer and you're one of the top scorers in your grade. While I, on the other hand, got a criminal record and probably won't get out until I'm old and wrinkly."

In other words, I have no future. 

...Looking back on it now, I'm starting to regret not taking her offer on staying over there. At least over there, I could live a relatively easy life. Especially after all of what I did.

However, because Alice, Father Jefferson, and the others were back here, I decided to come back. After all, returning here to where they were was my original goal, to begin with.

"You're gonna grow up to do big things in the world, I promise you. So, don't worry about me and just focus on you. And just like before, if you ever need help with something, don't hesitate to send me a letter. I'll read it and help you to the best of my abilities, okay?"

Peeking at her face, I ask in confirmation. To which she meekly replied.

"...Okay."

"Good! Now smile for me. Although your crying face is pretty, you look a lot more beautiful when you smile."

The moment I said this…

"...Attempting to score brownie points will not work with me."

Alice grumbled in response. Which caused me to let out a chuckle. With her acting like this, I know she's recovered somewhat

Taking my hand off her head, I say to her.

"Could you let me go now? We can't go anywhere with you hugging me."

"...Just a little longer."

Alice then hugs me tighter as if she's trying to blend me into her. 

Which I'm okay with when considering that I can feel her 'two mountains' pressing against my chest.

This feeling is amazing!

"Sigh, fine, a few more seconds."

I said a little 'reluctantly'. This, in turn, caused Kari, who was watching on the sidelines to quietly mumble 'pervert' under her breath.

I simply ignored her.

Only a beta mc would pass this up! I'm gonna remember every detail of this moment!

"You just go at your own pace, don't you? Do you want me to put you in chains and drag you off into the van? Let's go."

At the sight of our tender brother-sister moment, the veteran guard said irritated.

Tch, he had to ruin the moment.

"You heard the guy, Alice. Lemme go. Knowing him, he just might chain me up and toss me into the van."

"...Okay."

Alice then releases her grasp from around me. And the moment she did, I, as a man, felt like I lost something.

I'm going to miss those mountains!

"Well, see you."

Giving Alice one last head pat, I said to her. She was staring at me with puffy red eyes.

"Mn."

She slowly nodded. 

"Kari, it was nice meeting you. I hope you can continue being Alice's friend."

Turning my attention towards Kari, I sincerely expressed to her. I hope that she doesn't think less of Alice because she's close to a criminal like me.

"I can understand what you're getting at judging from the expression on your face.

Don't worry, I'll still be her best friend."

Giving me a hearty smile, Kari said. 

"Thanks. I appreciate it." 

After saying that, I start walking towards the van, leaving Alice and Kari where they stood.

"Hands out."

The veteran guard said with cuffs in his hand. Silently, I comply with his orders.

He slaps the cuffs on my wrist. 

"Spread your legs for me."

Then moves to apply chains to my legs. 

But as he was doing so...

"Kyaa!"

"Woah!"

I heard Alice's scream and Karl's exclamation coming from behind me. 

Snapping my head towards where they were, I saw a familiar scene.

Below Alice's and Karl's feet was a steady glowing magic circle!

They were being summoned!

Fuck!

"Get out of the magic circle!"

"Get back here! Stop!"

Ignoring the veteran guard's order to stop, I sprint towards them as fast as I can!

I even mustered the last bit of mana I had into my legs to make sure I got there in time!

The magic circle was growing brighter! 

I managed to enter the magic circle…

"Mov-"

But it was too late.

Before I could even say 'move', the magic circle flashed a blinding light.

***

Author’s Note.

  • After a long and somewhat boring wait, we're finally kicking off the story! I originally wanted to immediately transport Marcus and co. to another world but after thinking about for a few minutes I decided not to. I didn't want to be like those other isekai stories where they immediately just drop their characters into another world. I wanted to provide a glimpse in Marcus' background a little, y'know, feel him out. And hopefully, I did just that.

  • Also, I like to thank you all for your patience. I've recently started a job at a chicken farm and its taking a while to get used to (2 weeks in and I'm still sore. Thankfully, the pain is easing. Thank God for Epsom salt!) Therefore, I deeply appreciate you all for you patience.

202