To The Capital! (1)
4.4k 22 118
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.


It's been three months since we three were summoned to the world of Lunaria. 

And during this time, Alice and Kari’s identities as heroes were made known to the public, while my identity remained unknown. I didn't want my name known to the world as a hero or I'll be forced to become a hero again, which is a big hell-no to me. 

I'm going to travel the world and meet many beauty's. That's my dream. And it’s a dream I will fulfill!

Therefore, I told the King if he would keep my identity secret from the public. To which he happily agreed. He said this is the least he could do for his savior and friend.

Over these three months, me and the King have gotten to know each other quite well. We're old war buddies now. We would share stories from the war over a few drinks and reminisce about them. It feels great having a person you can talk and relate with, and I'm sure he feels the same too.

After proclaiming that those two are heroes,  Paul immediately had them learn magic and swordsmanship from the nation's most elite mages and warriors. Alice and Kari would learn magic and this world's culture during the mornings and combat training in the evenings.  It was also during this time that their talent started to come out.

Alice is a prodigy at magic, being able to use Ice magic and various other elemental spells with ease. While Kari is talented in swordsmanship, she's almost on par with the sword instructor. 

And every other night, I would take them to the forest behind the castle and teach them about the things I experienced and learned as a hero.

I forgot to mention that Prince Leonard is in this group as well. Ever since the battle three months ago he's been begging me to teach him. I didn’t want to at first but after I heard that he was going to be in the hero’s party, I finally acquiesced. He was going to learn about me one way or the other after a while so I might as well tell him my identity and get it over with.

As for what I taught them about [Heavenly Annihilation Arts], I unfortunately only managed to teach them the basics, such as how to cycle and use [Revitalisation]. I also taught them how to do mana manipulation and mana manifestation exercises. I wanted to teach them more techniques but because we’re short on time, I couldn’t.  

It’d take years to master them and sadly, it’s years we don’t have.

  

Now, as for what happened to me these past few months, heh, let's just say that after I refused to become a hero, I became public enemy number one.

The servants mumble under their breaths about me whenever I walk by, the guards give me eyes full of disdain whenever I see them. Shit, even the chef hates me. When I first saw him and gave him my heartfelt thoughts about his food, he threw me a look of disgust and ignored me.

Fine, no Michelin Stars for him! 

I'm scorned essentially by everyone in the castle. The only one who doesn’t hate me is Mary who I also told about me being a hero not too long after telling Alice and Kari.

It was too cumbersome trying to teach Alice, Kari, and Prince Leonard while sneaking in and out of my room. Like Prince Leonard, she’d find out eventually. Especially since she’s my personal maid. My meals, my clothes, and my requests are all handled by her.

She was surprised at first but she immediately changed back to her usual cheerful expression. When I asked why she wasn't scared of me, she just said with her cheerful smile,

‘Other than the scary bedtime stories about you, I wasn’t aware of you when I was little so I never considered you evil. Scary? Yes. Evil? No. if it wasn’t for you and your party, my village would’ve been destroyed.’

And left it at that. Hearing her answer made me so happy that I decided to include her in Alice and co's group as well. Even if she doesn't want to be a hero, the skills she learned will stick with her forever.

“Here you go, master.”

Mary said as she came in with a tea set and poured me some tea. Right now, I'm in my room, sitting in a chair sketching in my journal. The journal idea came about after I saw King Paul writing in his journal. He said that writing one helps him calm down and eases his worries while also helping him self reflect and organize his thoughts. 

‘It’s like therapy’

He said.

‘Compared to a person who talks back and judges you, a blank page doesn’t do that. They take in all your anger, all your sadness, all your joy, and all your happiness...They take in everything and don’t judge you for it. This is a much-needed thing for me since being a king is a job where one has to put the nation’s needs before his own.’

After hearing what he said about journaling, I found it a neat thing to do and decided to give it a shot. So after requesting a journal for myself. I began writing in it. I’d write whatever comes to mind or draw whatever catches my interest.

And he’s right, it is like therapy. 

“Ah, thanks.”

I said as I picked up the cup of tea set before me and sipped.

“Mn, thanks. It's as good as always.”

Despite it being flavored water.

“I appreciate the compliment. How's the drawing coming along?”

“It's about done. I just need to finish shading this part here... finished! Here have a look.”

I show her the drawing I finished. 

“Wow Master! This portrait of a cardinal is very beautiful.”

Mary said admiringly. What I drew was a realistic drawing of a cardinal standing on a thin branch with berries in its mouth. The reason I drew it was because I wanted to keep my drawing skills top-notch. It was one of my favorite hobbies to do when I was in the pen, and it still is.

 

“Of course it is, I wasn't staring at a bird for two hours for nothing.”

Leaning back in my chair, I said as I reached for my pocket to get a cigarette before awkwardly taking it back out.

It’s been two months since I last smoked.

Ever since Alice found me bumming a hand made cigarette off attendant Willis that one time, she’s forbidden me from smoking. Saying that since we’re in a new world, it’s as good a chance as any to stop smoking. I think that because Father Jefferson died from lung cancer, Alice has gotten a bit sensitive towards anything dealing with smoking.

She even told Mary to strictly watch over me and to report any signs of me having anything dealing with nicotine. 

I know she means well but she’s taking away one of my pleasures! It’s a vice I’m not willing to give up!

“Sigh, I want to smoke right now. Should have the King get me some…? Don't tell Alice I said that.”

“Whatever you say, master.”

Mary said. However, I didn't take that at face value. There were many times where she would say that and a few minutes later Alice would appear, which ended up with me receiving scolding.

...I'm starting to wonder where this maid's loyalties lie.

“I'm serious. Her scoldings are like that of a mom after catching her son doing something bad... Anyways, have you gotten those books I requested yet?”

To get off the matter of me and my smoking rehabilitation, I decided to change the subject to a more important one.

“Yes, they are right over there.”

She pointed towards a stack of books sitting on the coffee table.

“Alrighty then. I guess I'll end my drawing for today and read up on how the world views the legendary Mars.”

To satisfy my vain, I ordered Mary to gather books, tales, and songs dealing with me and researched myself. In some books and songs, I'm deemed as a kind and respected hero who helped people in need. While in others, I'm hailed as a traitor and merciless killer. The majority leaned towards the latter.

Reading these things made a bitter smile creep across my face...Haha, only if they knew the truth.

“Hmm.” 

But one thing has me worried. 

Out of most of the texts about me, there’s one that seems to have faint inclinations about [King of the Dead]. The book was called the ‘Chronicles of Mars’. In the book, there was a paragraph saying I can communicate with the souls of the dead by touching their corpses. When I tried to see the name of the author who wrote the book, I found out it was anonymous.

Well, I'm sure nobody would believe it since I hardly used [King of the Dead] when I was a hero but it doesn't change the fact that it hits too close to home.

...Who wrote this?

“Oh yeah, Master! I almost forgot to tell you.”

As I was going over this matter in my head, Mary called out to me. 

“What is it?”

In a somewhat angry tone,  Mary said.

“There's another rumor about you now.”

“Heh, what is it this time?”

Almost every other week, new rumors about me spread. Like the one about me being a slob who does nothing but chase after maids and another one about how I'm so weak that I'm at the point of being bossed around by Mary. 

When I first heard these rumors it made me want to laugh out loud. To me, these rumors are like water rolling off a duck's back, I don't care for the public's opinion whatsoever. 

Besides, I have an inkling as to who is spreading these rumors….Heh, talk about childish, fat ass!

“Rumor has it that you're blackmailing Ms. Alice and Ms. Kari into coming into your room every other night and perform lustful acts upon them, otherwise, nobody with the great status of hero would want to get near you, a deadbeat who does nothing but lounge around wasting air and space.”

“...That was a good one, a very good one. It even hurt my feelings a little. Who came up with this rumor?”

That person had to be monitoring the actions of those two because if not they wouldn't know about our late-night meetings. 

“It was Patrick Yulsten’s son, Renaldo Yulsten.”

“Really? Although I haven't seen him before, Alice described him a little. Is he that lustful?”

From what she told me, he's like a dog in heat, once he spots a beautiful woman, he'll pursue her relentlessly. He's been pestering those two the moment he laid eyes on them. Giving them flowers, flirting with them, he even went as far as to wait for those two outside their classes. If it wasn't for the fact that those two are being taught exclusively by the country's most elite warriors, he probably would be in there right beside them.

There's a limit to how much of a pain in the ass you can be.

“Yes. I heard that he already forced a woman into marrying him. I also heard that he's a frequent visitor to the red light district.”

“So, he’s the type that leads with the thing in his pants, huh? One of these days he's gonna die by a woman.”

Or by me, if he tries to pull something on Alice or Kari. Maybe even those two might kill him if they're pissed off enough. I taught them how to kill somebody silently so they’d be able to do it. 

“Hey, are they ready yet? It's pushing past one o’clock.”

Looking at the clock hanging on the wall, I asked. It was almost time for us to go.

“Yes. Ms. Alice said they are ready to go. they'll be waiting for you in front of the castle. I forgot about it.”

"Sigh, you're something, Mary. You should always say important stuff first. Now I'm late.”

“Teehee.”

She then hit her head and stuck her tongue out cutely. Is this how a servant is supposed to act in front of her master? Ever since she warmed up to me over the past three months, she’s been acting less and less of a maid.

Not that I mind since it’s nice having a friend to talk to without having to worry about class.

“I've got to hurry! Mary, I'm off! Don't forget to do mana manipulation exercises...Oh and please put this back? Thanks.”

I then handed the book I was reading to Mary to put up as I hurriedly rushed out of the room. 

Today is a very special day for both Alice and Kari. 

They are going to experience their first time in another world city. We are to meet up in front of the castle and from there we'll take a carriage to the royal capital!

118