Sparring (1)
3k 13 90
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"You imbecile! Didn't I tell you to handle it properly!"

Swatting the objects off his table in a fit of rage, father roared. I told him of the situation that happened yesterday morning.

The assassination attempt on the good-for-nothing insect failed. 

The assassins that were sent to kill him suddenly disappeared. There were no traces of them whatsoever, almost as if they had vanished into thin air. The only member I could find of the group was the one who unfortunately got turned into the guards by the two heroes. 

As soon as I got word that he was in the guard’s custody, I immediately visited him, paid his bond, took him to a secluded area around the slums, killed him, and left the body where it was.

I didn’t have to worry about someone reporting to the guards because if somebody were to find him, they wouldn’t care. They’d just chalk it up as another day in the slums and move along with their lives. 

The life of a peasant isn’t worth much. Kill one and another always pops up. 

“Did you hear me!”

“Huh, y-yes?”

“I said, how are you going to fix this?”

“I’ll hire more assassins…”

“Heh, look at where that got you. Didn’t I tell you to never underestimate your enemies, no matter how small?”

“...You did.”

“I did? Then why the hell didn’t you heed it! Using low-end assassins to handle another worlder, you're nothing but a fool! Where are those assassins you hired at now? For all we know, the king could’ve used 1st Company to secretly take them out.”

“...”

That might’ve happened. Father told me about the 1st Company before. It’s an elite royal guard unit that listens to only the king. Their numbers aren’t exactly well known and they're usually on secret assignments issued out by the king. Father said that their missions range from sniffing out traitors to killing evil cultists. 

If it’s true that he used them to dispatch those assassins then we could very well be in trouble. 

The thought of 1st Company coming after me made my face turn pale. 

“..Do you realize how many favors I had to call in to make this happen? How many favors I now owe? Do you even know the predicament that you’d put me in!?”   

“W-what should we do father?”

If there’s a solution to this problem then surely father has it!

“The only thing we can do now is keep our head down. If any accusations come our way, we’ll staunchly deny them. While doing so, I’ll try to secretly get in contact with a few associates of mine and handle the situation properly.”

“You mean you’re going to try and kill that insect?”

“Kill him? You fool! If I try to kill him now then everyone will know I did it! No, killing him can wait. The thing that’s important right now is to roll over on our backs.”

“What do you mean?”

“I meant exactly as I said. We’ll submit for now. Knowing Paul all these years, he probably knows we’re the ones behind it. The only reason he hasn’t arrested us is because he knows how important the influence I hold over the Council is.”

Throwing his nose up in the air in pride, father says proudly. After thinking about it for a few moments, what father said was right.

There were times where the king gave father certain orders because he was the only one that could do them. Father didn't spend thirty years fiercely expanding his influence, not caring if it was by legal or illegal means for nothing. 

This is also the reason why I have three wives. To gain more power, father arranged, coerced, and blackmailed their fathers into offering their daughters to me. So far, I only had sex with one of them. Father said that I wasn’t to lay on the other two since it wasn’t the right time yet. My father-in-laws held an almost equal amount of power as father so if I were to forcefully have sex with them, they’ll retaliate without thinking about the consequences.    

I must wait until father can confidently crush them before I’m able to have a ‘bite’ out of those two. So until then, I must satisfy my lust with my first wife and women from brothels. 

“And besides, I don’t think he cares about that boy, what’s that piece of shit’s name? Ah, Marcus. From what you and the servants around the castle said, other than leaving to visit the dining hall, he spends most of his time in his room. The only people that come to see him are the heroes Alice and Kari and Prince Leonard.”

As he said the two heroes' names, his eyes flashed with lust. Mine was the same. Ever since I laid eyes on them, they have been at the forefront of my mind. Every time I have sex with my wife or with one of the whores at the brothels, I always think of them.

Like a prize that’s hard to get, I want them.

I want to break them.

“But to make sure we’re able to placate him, I’ll give Paul a subtle hint about a few people who've been embezzling government funds for pleasure. Myself excluded of course. Until then, you just keep your head down and don’t cause any trouble. You understand?”

“Yes, father. I understand.”

“Good. You’re dismissed. Call a maid to clean this up once you leave.”

Glancing at the mess he made in a fit of rage, father said as he waved his hand dismissively, causing his stomach to jiggle a little. 

...Sometimes, I wonder how mother was able to sleep with him. Sigh, may she rest in peace. 

“Goodnight, father.”

Giving him a slight bow, I leave the room. As I closed the door, I heard father mumble something inaudible.

“Tsk, useless son.”

I wonder what it was?

***

“Okay, let’s do this!”       

Doing a couple of light stretches, I say to Kari and Prince Leonard. We’re currently in the forest behind the castle. We’re conducting our usual sparring match. Those two are to fight me with the goal of severely injuring me. The only time that we’ll quit is when they either lose consciousness or their injuries are too severe. 

It’s usually the former since I can’t bear causing a grievous injury on them. A few broken bones, fine. But a cut deep enough to see their insides? Nope. 

“Man, it must be nice being able to watch from the sidelines.”

Throwing a glare at Alice who was sitting in a chair beside King Paul, Kari said begrudgingly.

She’s still salty over losing that bet, huh? 

“Mn, your right. It is nice being able to sit here. Good lu~ck. Don’t fight too hard.”

Sipping tea from an exquisite looking teacup, Alice gloated with a smile. She loves teasing Kari. King Paul, on the other hand, was quietly drinking his tea.

As for Prince Leonard… 

“Eh? Alice gets to sit this one out? That’s not fair! Why can she do it?”

“Because she won the bet.”

“What bet? How come I wasn’t in on it? I want to stay on the sidelines too! It’s not fun getting broken bones on almost a daily basis! I’ve seen my life flashed before my eyes so many times it’s not even funny anymore.” 

He’s just now realizing why Alice was able to sit this match out.

“Master, can I not participate as well?” 

Looking at me with hopeful eyes, Prince Leonard pleaded. But like an impartial master of three disciples, I said cooly.

“No can do. Alice won the bet so it’s right only she’s able to sit this one out.”

“B-but I didn’t know about the bet!”

“Well, tough luck. Try again next time.”

“...How can I try again next time when I wasn’t notified of the first time? Master, you’re playing favorites!”

“...Now, enough of that. We’re about to start. Get ready.”

Feeling that he was partly correct about having favorites, I felt a little guilty and decided to start the sparring match.  

“I’ll let you go this time, Master.”

Drawing his sword, Prince Leonard said as he got into his battle stance.

“I’m ready! I’ll win this time!”

Pulling out her sword and getting into her battle stance as well, Kari determinedly said. Seeing them like this, I nodded my head in approval. Compared to how they were when they first started, which was somewhat pessimistic and afraid of getting hit, the way they are now is courageous and has the will strong enough to brave through hardships.

As a teacher, I’m proud! 

 

“Okay, then I should get ready as well… [Soul Lock Level 1: Disengage] 

WHOOSH!

I release the first seal, allowing a huge amount of mana to emanate from my body. If my rank being sealed was F then right now I should be B. 

“At the count of three, let’s begin. Three…”

Standing in a relaxed position, I slowly countdown.

“Two…”

While doing so, I scan the environment. I take note of the trees, bushes, little pebbles on the ground, I mentally mark anything that could give me an environmental advantage. I also notice the communication signals going on between Kari and Prince Leonard. They were communicating something with their eyes.

I don’t know what it is, but it’s best to be on the lookout for it.  

“One…” 

[Wind Blade]!”

[Phoenix’s Claw]!”

As soon as I counted to one, Kari and Prince Leonard. Simultaneously started their offensive.

90