Welcome to the Party
1.9k 10 22
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“...And that’s what happened.”

Shortly after departing from Mary, I headed straight to the King’s study and explained to him what happened today. There was a reason why I went outside, having a date with Mary was just a bonus.

“So, did you acquire what you needed?”

The King asks to which I retrieve a single bead of blood from my hands.

“Indeed I have. Thanks to some magic I learned a few years ago, I should be able to sneak into the Yulstein mansion with somewhat relative ease.”

“Whose blood is it?”

“It’s from the butler I was observing. I visited him today in the disguise of a street painter and managed to get a droplet of blood from him. Want me to show you what I mean by how infiltrating will be somewhat easy?”

“Please.”

“Okay. Hold out your hand.”

The King then holds out his hand to which I cover my finger in mana and gently slice his finger causing a small drop of blood to come out. Using mana, I catch the droplet just before it falls to the ground.

“Now that I got a specimen, watch this! [Doppelganger]!”

Casting the non-elemental magic I learned from that very dear but a pain in my ass hag, I turned into King Paul in a flash.

“Wha-”

The king was so surprised that he could only look at me with his eyes wide.

“So? How does it feel looking at the man who’s a reflection of yourself? Surreal right? Behold it’s me! Your king and ruler, Paul Taurus!”

Smirking, I pull out a cigarette and say playfully.

“...Please can you not smoke while having the same face as mine? It’s kind of weird.”

“As his highness commands.”

At his request, I put out my cigarette and stuff it in my pocket. I’m going to smoke that later.

“This is quite unusual magic. I have never seen anything like this before.”

His highness said as he got up and observed me. He was leaning in and fawning over me as if I was something exotic. Not that I could blame since even I would like to see the magic that could copy my flawless appearance.

“But how come you’re using your original voice?”

The king asked as he glanced at me. Shrugging my shoulders, I could only say with a sigh.

“I can’t copy your voice as I’m not very skilled at it as It requires delicate manipulation of your mana. While I may be good at manipulating it, I’m not at the level of being able to entirely change my voice into another person. That’ll take years. Years I don’t have nor wish to dedicate to.”

That old hag, however, had centuries to dedicate herself to doing this. So expecting me to be able to manipulate my voice like her is too much! It’s like comparing a rookie to a veteran. We are not the same.

“I only learned this because I thought it’d be a useful thing to learn. However, I was never in a situation where I had to delicately take a droplet of blood as it typically came in by the pools. Plus…”

Before I could finish, the spell, [Doppelganger], wore off. Restoring my original appearance. 

“Because I’m not good at it, the best I can probably maintain the appearance for is about three minutes.”

The hag, if she wanted, could do it for days, weeks, even years. 

Three minutes? Is that enough to infiltrate the mansion?”

Going back to his seat, the King asked.

“It should be. But if push comes to shove I can easily sneak around. All I need is a box.”

“A box? What for?”

“...You wouldn’t get it. It’s an Earth thing.”

“O-oh?” 

…Why are you looking like a kid that has been excluded from their group with that expression? It’s not my fault you weren't born on Earth. 

You’re making me feel guilty here. 

 

“...”

“...”

There was an awkward silence between us for a few seconds before I decided to switch the subject.

“Is there a party going on? I hear muffled music?”

I’ve been hearing music coming from somewhere for quite a while now. Although it’s muffled, I can hear classical music followed by claps and laughter.

“Hmm? Ah, that’s the party for my wife and daughter. I already did my introduction and toast formalities so I decided to hide in here until the party ended. I’m not good with parties. That’s more of the queen’s job.”

“Now that you mention it, her highness did invite me to the welcome back party of her and your daughter. But in all honesty, parties like those always make me feel stuffy. It’s too uptight in my opinion.”

“Sigh, that’s the life of a nobleman. Everything is founded upon tradition… Want to become one? I can make that happen.”

All of a sudden, his highness stared at me with glittering eyes.

“Oi, don’t put that bad juju on me. If I become one, I want it in name only. Screw trying to govern and maintain the land.”

I refused wholeheartedly.

I saw how noble’s who are the head of households live. And let me tell you, it’s not free. They have to go through political marriages, dodge and thwart political schemes, worry about their subjects' opinions, and a shit ton more. 

Those are responsibilities I don’t want to have any part in. 

“Come on, you’re making it sound harder than it is. That’s like 75% of the job.”

“Oh and that other 25% is living in luxury and having all the wants in the world?”

“Yes? And because you’re a summoned hero…”

“Former, let’s not forget that. I’m a ‘former’ summoned hero.”

“...As a former summoned hero, I can grant you a title that’s practically second to nobody other than me. You’ll have all the money you want.”

“But in return, I got to govern your lands and help out if the nation is in trouble right? Nah, I’ll pass. Give me 90% of the fun and 10% of the responsibility then we can talk. Because other than that I’mma say no.”

“Tch.”

…Did he just click his tongue? 

“...Anyways, I’m going to the party and check up on Alice. I want to see her in a pretty dress.”

Ignoring his attempt at trying to trap me with monetary rewards and his clicking of the tongue, I leave his study and head towards the sound of fancy music.

“Hmm, am I dressed for the occasion?”

I asked myself looking down at my clothes. It was casual wear and nothing like the fancy clothes one would wear at a ball.

If I go into the party with the way I am now, I’ll most definitely get shit talked about.

“Fuck it. We ball.”

I don’t care what they think about me. Because I’m already scum in their eyes, I should go and annoy every one of them.

“Haha, this is gonna be fun.”

Putting my hands in my pockets, I say as I crack an evil grin. 

Let’s drop my reputation down some more, shall we?

***

Author’s note:

Yo, it’s me ya boi, the author of this slow-paced novel and I’ve come back with the milk! So while I drop a chapter, I’ll shamelessly keep you guys up to speed on my life. 

It’s been quite hectic these past few months, I’ve started school and I’m in charge of the health of about 20 dudes, making sure they don’t hurt themselves too badly. But considering that almost all of us are in our 20s, injuries will happen. For example, I got too drunk and fell down some stairs. To make it even worse, I vomited right after. Then there was this dude who got too drunk for first formation and I had to give him an IV. He still vomited. I went to New Jersey and visited NYC for the first time and lemme say it, I’m never going to visit that place again. I’m a country boy so those packed roads and slow-ass traffic aren’t for me. Not to mention y’alls gas prices! The trip around NYC alone put me in debt. But I won’t deny it, the skyline at night was kinda fire. 

Then there’s the increased suicides that are happening here, two in my barracks alone and eight more I believe somewhere else. I knew one of the guys who unalived themselves in my barracks. He was my neighbor and he’d always blast music from his speakers to the rest of the barracks at the end of every workday, whether it’d be country, rap,Spanish, EDM or reggae. The dude was an entire vibe. I couldn’t make it to his funeral as I was in NJ for my vacation but I was able to make it to his memorial. I was able to say my goodbyes and come to terms with his passing. To all the people out there who feel down and in the dumps, just know there are people out there who will listen if you just want them to listen and help if you want them to help. Whether it’d be a stranger like me, a friend, or a brother or sister. There’s ALWAYS some willing to listen. And should you unfortunately come to the decision of ending your life, I want you to take a moment and think of the people you're leaving behind. You might think it’s a trivial thing but what would your mom, your dad, your brother or your sister think? Should you not have a close relationship with them then think about your friends. How would they feel when their buddy isn’t there? Before you think about pulling that trigger, downing those pills, or jumping off that ledge, think about how much pain the people you leave behind are going to be in. 

Before I end this note on a sad and cringe one, I’m going to address the ‘Oh, you’re not thinking about the person themselves! That’s selfish. What about their opinion?’ Yes, it is selfish. But I’d rather have that person who’s thinking about killing themselves stay alive for ME and work things out till they can live for THEMSELVES. I don’t care if they come to hate me and plot a revenge scheme on my downfall. As long as they’re living, that’s a win in my book. One suicide is too many. There’s always light at the end of the tunnel. Yes, you may trip. Yes, you may fall and eat shit. But hey, as long as you brush yourself off and continue moving forward, you’ll reach that light and come to realize that tunnel you was just in, wasn’t really that long and that it’s one of many in this thing called life.

22