Prologue 2 – When a Contract is a Contract except when it is not!
1.4k 3 30
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Prologue 2 - When a Contract is a Contract except when it is not!

The world has rules.

Be it physics, laws, or some more esoteric things.

Break a law, get punished.

Break a law of physics? Not doable unless you go beyond common physics or reach into magic.

Do one of those scary rituals or ouija board things for fun? You can get punished for doing it right, and doing it wrong might save your life more often than not. There are places that you shouldn't enter at all.

You want examples?

Don't close the connection after using a ouija board.

Do a test of courage in a really haunted house.

Do a documentary in a cursed asylum.

Do not try to summon supernatural things for fun. Most is just rubbish, but if you get a real one, a quick death is the best you can hope for.

But many of the things from the Otherside have rules.

Do the ritual to summon the supernatural horror right and you get killed in gory ways.

It is all avoidable if you take care.

Most things that don't need to be summoned can be plactated if you mistakenly offend them.

Offer the dead a good cleaning of their graves and get drunk in their name works more times then you'd imagine.

Sacrificing satanists and monsters in human form, not literally but humans, works rather well for calming down fiends, demons, and other hellish beings.

Why is this important?

Because contracts matter.

And the story starts with teenish stupidity and another contract.

------

Isabelle was not a happy teen girl.

With her aunt being a cop, actually a detective, but cop was close enough, and her mother being a single mother she got a lot of attention.

Mostly of the 'stay away' or bully her slightly kind.

Boys were interested, but with how much her aunt had told her what to look out for, most of them were hot but had removed themselves from the dating pool.

The popular guys were out of her reach, others ignored her probably because she was not an easy target, and finally many had too many bad stories you could overhear when everyone ignores you.

Having a detective for an aunt and a mother that worked in a crime lab was not easy.

She had one friend, that she had the feeling was either taking pity on her, or was amused by her if the demands for headpats and lap-pillows were any indication.

Her friend was clearly weird, and she did not mean the unnatural beauty or the albinism.

Their friendship had started with her life being saved.

Probably.

Possibly.

Maybe?

It had started with older boys inviting the girls out to a party.

--- About a month ago ---

It was time to party, a nice pool party, with the popular older guys.

The parents of one of them were out of town, so the house was available.

It had taken some convincing, but Isabelle 'Izzy' Mc Glytch was ready for her first 'adult' party. Along with a few other girls from her class.

She had a small top, a short skirt, and her bikini underneath.

Some make-up and styled hair made her feel prettier than ever.

She had heard bad things about these parties, but she wanted to see it herself.

So here she was, probably one of the youngest girls present, and trying to avoid yet more drinks and grabby hands.

At least her classmate, Zaria was there too, and as usual had caught everyone's attention.

The small albino was simply beautiful, even as a girl Izzy could admit that the flawless white skin and red eyes were eye catching. She had also overheard more than one girl admiring the albino. Almost every boy at school wanted to claim and bed the white girl.

The almost floor length hair was a topic of curiosity as well.

Izzy frowned.

The smell was the fragrant aroma of weed.

That meant it was time to migrate to the outside, having that smell on her clothes was a bad idea considering her mother and aunt.

The last thing she saw was the albino look bored as a group of rather high boys was egging her on to join them.

Taking her top and skirt off caused more whistles and looks then she was comfortable with, but the pool was nice.

Also catching some summer rays seemed like a nice idea.

Only to wake up hungry.

That meant staying for the BBQ.

Many others had already left. Only the cool, the members, those wanting to belong, and her had remained.

And an albino surrounded by hopelessly stoned and or drunk challengers.

She was doing shots, while blowing smoke rings. She had a huge collection of them too.

If each of the lazily floating rings was worth a shot, then the albino should have been comatose.

Isabelle wondered if she was overheated, her thoughts were going a weird way.

A slow BBQ later, where the albino beat everyone in the spontaneous eating contest, the villa was quiet, only 9 of the boys and 5 of the girls remained.

She felt very out of place actually.

Two of the girls were cheerleaders and 'dating the group' according to believable rumours. Then there was a drunk girl from her grade getting groped on the couch. Zaria was dodging male attention and she was trapped between two guys.

It was already evening, and she had somehow missed the timing to escape.

"Why don't we play a game? I found a hide and seek game. Everyone gets a candle; you have to protect the flame or lose the rights to your body and soul."

Isabelle heard a "Bad idea." mumble from the albino.

"Just sign here with a drop of blood."

"Worse idea, not doing that."

"What you chicken?" Tall, blonde and rich, challenged.

"No, but I am not signing my soul over to an eldritch horror. I am not going to voluntarily put myself in a position where I'd have to do untold collateral damage to keep my soul."

"Bawk bawk!" The albino found herself mocked.

"You gave up on your rights to mock me when you couldn't finish a street."

Isabelle found herself lost.

"Fine, if the searcher finds all members till two in the morning you are part of the hunted ones."

The albino checked the old and yellowed with age paper. "Let's make it three in the morning, time zones and all that. 03:03 to be precise."

"Fine!" Isabelle did not need any imagination to know what would happen to the albino after three am.

The boys each pricked their thumbs and signed their agreement with a drop of blood. Then made their girlfriends do the same. They even did it to the girl that was passed out and mostly unclothed.

Isabelle hesitated, something about the way Zaria had declined, was unsettling her.

"Put her in my group, and I promise to not fight the winner unless needed."

"Sure, make sure she is ready."

"Don't worry, I will have her in my lap."

This was how Izzy found herself sitting on a pale lap.

"Found you." One of the boys announced, clad in a dark frayed robe that seemed to signify shadows. He then groped the passed-out girl. With a laugh he then waved at the two seated girls and left to find the others.

Isabelle found herself placed on the loveseat as the albino approached the passed-out girl.

"Zaria van Kairan, Shrine Maiden of her fluffiness wishes to mediate the conditions of the game."

Isabelle did not believe what came next, a figure made from shadows appeared. "They signed the contract, they agreed to the terms." It was like a whisper yet it was loud.

"The last player is in no shape to agree to the terms. Look at her, she is passed out and unconscious."

"She signed!" Came the disagreeing reply.

"She did not, they did it for her."

"This is unacceptable."

"Don't worry, you have 10 more idiots to hunt down, I warned them, they didn't listen."

Isabelle cringed away from the creepily laughing shadow.

"They disregarded the advice of a greater one?"

"And tried to trap me in a game I did not agree to."

"How foolish."

"In return I managed to extend your time, instead of 01:01 they agreed to 03:03."

"How utterly stupid."

"Have fun."

Isabelle was freaked out by the situation, also freaked out at how calm the albino was.

The albino simply fixed the passed-out girls clothes and lifted her in a bridal carry. Seemingly without any strain.

"Let's go, I'll explain more once we are out of here. Do you have all your things?"

Isabelle quickly gathered her bag, and then stared confused at the hand that was being held out to her.

"Take my hand."

"Okay?" She hesitantly took the hand, then the world blurred.

What had been a lavish modern living room, was now the front of that weird shrine on the city outskirts, one that did not fit the city at all.

"What?"

"Welcome to my home, give your family a call that you are staying over. I will heal her from her drugging meanwhile."

The girl simply carried her dead to the world cargo into the main building.

Isabelle wondered what to do. She lived on the other side of the city. A cab would cost her a lot, and she did not want to travel across town in her thin top and short skirt with just a bikini underneath.

She really hoped the explanation was a good one, weird shadows and then moving several kilometres without moving?

She really needed an explanation that made sense.

Two hours later she was doomed, an overly amused albino had shattered her logical worldview, the shrine had a nice hot spring, her mother had told her to stay over with a friend and spend the night.

Her host was not human.

Her host was not normal by any means.

A kitsune like in those mangas she was reading had saved her and her year mate from doom.

The others were probably going to die within the next few hours.

It was hard to believe how utterly callous the girl was towards their deaths.

It was however logical in a weird way, they signed away their souls and bodies. They had tried to drug the kitsune.

She had mixed feelings about it.

"Don't worry about it, and don't worry too much about it all. In case of an emergency of a supernatural kind, just say you know The White One." Now onto the more important things, I think you'd look better with longer hair, yours is a really nice shade of red after all. Also, I am curious how far down your freckles go."

That was how Isabelle met Zaria the White Menace.

--- About three weeks ago ---

Ever since then Zaria has tended to hang out with her.

Which caught issues since the prettiest girl of the school was hanging out with the girl from the cop family.

"Say, is Eri related to you?"

"Eri?" Isabelle was confused.

"Eireann Mc Glytch."

"That is my aunt."

"I kind of ran into her while she was on the job. I guess red hair and freckles are a family thing."

Isabelle blushed a deep red, the kitsune did not believe in personal space, but believed in skinship, counting freckles, and tongue baths.

She had the suspicion she was being courted, after all beings like that brought presents and tended to play with the humans they liked.

The transition from being avoided and friendless to having an affectionate kitsune aiming for her was only she had read in harem manga until now. And she was neither male nor had she some special ancestors, at least that she knew about.

Maybe she should ask her mother for more details about her family history.


Yes, I am still alive.
Finally, a bit freer time, in theory.
No, not really actually.
Got so much to do, and so little time.

Poll: What do you want to see? (2 Votes)
1: Detective getting white help with normal cases.
2: Detective running into supernatural cases needing whites help.
3: White getting bored out of her mind pretending to be a normal schoolgirl.
4: A normal schoolgirl running into white and supernatural situations.
5: LEaE!
6: Whatever, just write more.

What do you want to see? (2 Votes)
  • 1: Detective getting white help with normal cases. Votes: 9 9.5%
  • 2: Detective running into supernatural cases needing whites help. Votes: 34 35.8%
  • 3: White getting bored out of her mind pretending to be a normal schoolgirl. Votes: 42 44.2%
  • 4: A normal schoolgirl running into white and supernatural situations. Votes: 30 31.6%
  • 5: LEaE! Votes: 25 26.3%
  • 6: Whatever, just write more. Votes: 24 25.3%
Total voters: 95
30