Chapter 24: I didn’t see anything of town
460 3 14
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Halt!" A guard approached us. He was using a full set of metal armor. I wonder how heavy that thing is, or if it gets too hot on sunny days. The armor itself didn't have anything worth noticing, the only thing that stands out is the cloth that was on top of the armor, it had a symbol of a golden tower with a black "X" behind it on a cyan background.

"Yes, mister guard?" Amity spoke.

"Do you have a guild card? Else you'll need to pay the fee to enter the city" the guard spoke to Amity, ignoring me and Zenshin, and it makes sense, who would have thought the rabbit and the fox were two people.

"Actually, he's only ignoring you. I'm only visible for you and Amity for now" Zenshin's voice echoed in my mind. I guess that makes sense, then.

"I'm sorry, mister guard, but I don't have any guild card with me, so I'll have to pay the fee to enter, how much is it?" Amity spoke, I could feel in the tone of her voice she was trying to suppress the way she normally speaks.

"The fee is five copper strips" the guard answered. 

"Oh, of course, let me get it" Amity said as she began to search her clothes.

"Aaaaaand here, I only have this silver coin, could I bother you to change it for me?"

"Of course, just wait a little, please" the guard asked while taking the coin and going inside a door that was located in a wall inside the gate.

I took the moment to look around, there were a few guards here and there, and no one was coming in or out of the town, at least this gate of the city. Looking at the city itself I can only say that I gave too much credit because they have trains as the city and the people walking the streets scream “medieval”. the buildings were a mixture of wood and stone, the street was stone tiles neatly arranged, they have what looks like lamp posts though, but as i can’t see any electrical wire i doubt they have light bulbs, the wires could be underground, but i really doubt it.

The people, that I can see at least, don’t look like they’re enjoying what even the homeless have from where I've come from, they all have simple clothes and the occasional guy walks in some form of armor or robe that screams “adventurer” from some anime.

The guard came back after five minutes and handed a full leather bag to Amity and spoke.

“Your change is 1 copper square coin, 49 copper coins, 1 copper square strip and 44 copper strips, the bag costs one copper strip” he said with a smile.

“Thank you, you helped me sooo much” Amity took the bag and stashed it inside a pocket.

"You're welcome, madam, welcome to Bilford" the guard made way for us to enter. Amity answered with just a nod before walking past the gates.

As we walked through the streets I could see the city better, it's not too far off of being your typical medieval city. Granted, there are a few things that only make sense with magic as I have yet to see a single technology beside those trains.

"He's so cute!" A child's voice came from our side. Amity turned and looked towards the source of the voice. Three children were near us, looking at us with eyes full of joy.

… wait, they're not looking at us, they're looking at me!

"He is, isn't he? Do you want to pet him?" Amity spoke as she crouched. Hey, don't go deciding this stuff on your own, what if I don't want to be petted, huh?

My mental pleas didn't have any effect on Amity, as she's just looking at the kids. Or maybe she didn't hear it at all, because Zenshin is on her other side looking away like a guilty dog would do if he was caught doing something he shouldn't.

"Yes please!" The three kids almost shouted in synchrony.

Hey, hey, what? I have no say in this whatsoever? It’s my body!

My rants fell in deaf ears, or maybe Zenshin didn’t even send them to Amity, as I am given to the kids who start to pet me and mess around the fur on my rabbit body. it isn’t that pleasant, but at least it isn’t that bad either. But anyway this is uncomfortable, having three pairs of hands of strangers moving around in my body.

"Squeak" the sound comes out of my mouth, ok, now I'm uncomfortable and ashamed. I put my arms in front of my face but the gesture seems to please the kids as they make an aw sound.

"Very well kids, you gave him good pets, but he seems a little stressed, so I'm going to take him home now, okay?" Amity came to my rescue, even though it was her who put me in this situation in the first place. The kids make a sad noise but let me go.

“There, there” Amity picks me up and holds me like a baby. No I'm not forgiving you for what you’ve done, okay?

I don’t think we’ll stay much in this city, we’ll we? 

I ask in my mind hoping Zenshin is reading my thoughts.

“We won’t. Amity is a known face in the adventurers guild, and i’m certain if one recognizes her we will be in trouble”

“And i’m not even an adventureeeer. Why does that pesky organization have a grudge against me? I didn't even do anything wrong!... ok, i might have done some bad things, but that was like, 300 years ago!”

I… I won’t even ask what “bad things” you’ve done to make an entire organization come after you, and considering how young Amity looks, probably around 26 years old, I don't think it was that long ago, probably 10 years max?

No one said a thing about my comment, but Amity suddenly smiled and began to skip, don’t even minding the stares some people were making at her.

We moved between backalleys and sidestreets, the most exciting thing i saw from the city was a few food stores, i didn’t see anything properly and the excuse that was given to me was “If we show our pretty faces around who knows who will recognizes us, we can’t let it happen, no, no, no. okay?” followed by a boop in my nose.

After about 30 minutes we arrived at what I could only describe as a train station. really, the place was a carbon copy of the definition of “Train Station” you can get on Google. We were walking towards what I assume is a ticket seller. Amity is with me in front of her face, saying things like “Your fur is soooo cuuute” and “You should keep this form, it’s toooooo cute to waste”, and suddenly her eyes went wide after we passed someone with a full shining silver armor.

“Was that…” the man began to say, his voice is a little rough and I can hear he’s old by the tone of his voice.

Amity didn’t even wait a second longer. She held me like I'm a diamond and bolted towards the ticketing vending building and jumped on top of it. No, I'm not kidding, she jumped 10 meters in the air and landed on the roof.

“It’s her!” the man shouted. I couldn't see his face because Amity was already running and jumping roof after roof.

14