Chapter 30: Name and Evolution
571 6 12
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Amity walked through the destroyed part of the forest as I observed the scenery lost in thoughts.

I-I did this? H-how? I hope there wasn't any animal here at the time everything burned to ashes like… that… goblin. Oh my gosh, I killed a creature in the most agonizing way possible. I still can hear its screams as its flesh burned and turned to cinders. What about the people in that village and that battlefield? I ignored them like I shouldn't care about them, but who looks at a massacre like that and be "oh, well, sad for them"? I-I'm not a sociopath. I-I can't be one… I don't want to be one.

Unbeknownst to me, Amity stopped and sighed. She picked me up and put me on the floor.

"Zenny, could you please show him a goblin?" Amity asked, causing me to stop thinking about becoming a sociopath or worse, a psychopath and look towards them.

The next thing I knew a goblin was coming directly at me with a club in his hand. I couldn't move, I could only watch in horror as the goblin swung his club at a white dragon that was exactly like I saw myself in the reflection on the window of that train. The goblin only stopped hitting the body once it had stopped moving. Only then I noticed my point of view had shifted from the dead body to that of a spectator.

"I'm sure you came from a world much more peaceful than this one" Amity's voice echoed throughout the place, but I couldn't see her. "But this world is a world where you need to kill your enemies or be killed by them, and yet, the population isn't made of a bunch of psychos. I myself have killed thousands of creatures and people alike"

Killed what? I asked internally.

"Don't worry, I only kill people for self-defense. I'm not like a certain moron that killed for fun and got himself killed a few years ago, pretty much well deserved in my opinion. Well, they tried to kill me a few days ago, too, but that's besides the point. What I want to say is that it's completely normal to feel regret after killing something, it'll get easier with time, but the feeling will never disappear, it can fade, but it won’t disappear"

It's just too much to take in at once… that message told me to take things slowly, I guess I'll follow that advice.

"Message?" Amity asked in confusion but immediately ignored it. "I finally have enough magicules to do this"

Amity appeared out of nowhere walking in front of me and crouched, extending her arm to me.

"Little gecko, it's time for me to name you. What do you think about "Inyoka"- OUCH!" Amity didn't have the chance to finish what she was saying before a pale blue flame hit her face coming from Zenshin.

You really had to ruin the moment, didn't you? Zenshin's said in my mind.

I stood there, confused as to what happened, she said she'll name me, but I already have a name tho?

Zenshin walked in front of Amity, looked at me and began to speak.

I don't think it was properly explained to you, and I won't let her explain it.

"Heeeey, I'm a good teacher" Amity pouted.

Right now, if you open your status screen the first thing you see is a "None" in the place of your actual name, don't you? Zenshin asked me, receiving a nod from me as it is kinda true.

But my name is after it. I said back, which caused Zenshin to stop for a moment and angle his head to the side, like a dog would do.

Oh… it is? That's unexpected… hmmm… well, I guess the normal rules should still apply, as you said there is the part saying you don't have a name. Anyway, let me explain. Every creature don't have a name when it's born, it's a rule that was only defied by ancient creatures that could destroy this entire world with a snap of their fingers, normally the Humania, Beastfolk, Demi-demon, Dragons and spirits from middle class and above species won't gain anything by having received a name, but that's different to what is classified as "monsters", as they will receive a greater power up when receiving a name. A name will be the very definition of the creature, embedded deep in his very soul. You must be wondering how that applies to you, as you will become a dragon, the key word is 'will'. You are not a dragon, at least not yet, so you still are considered a monster in the System's eye. In other words, if you receive a name right here, before evolving, you'll be stronger than if you just evolved.

I guess I understood what Zenshin was saying, basically, if a monster receives a name that monster will get stronger. Does it make sense? No… why does it feel like I became trapped in a video game? Wait, there's something that doesn't make sense In his explanation.

You said I will become a dragon, and that dragons don't gain anything from being named. How can I get something from it, then? I asked.

I hoped you'd ask. As I said, you're not a dragon yet, making it possible to name you like a normal monster. He explained.

Then, why don't dragons name all their children? I asked again.

"You're kidding, right? A lot of dragons are stupid but not that stupid" Amity chimed in, laughing almost hysterically. "Dragons have hundreds and hundreds of offspring because 99.99% of them become wyvern. It's like a counterbalance. Dragons are stupidly strong and have long lifespans, so they have almost no dragon children, I say dragon children because they have hundreds of wyvern children, but they toss them out the moment they obtain the [Instincts Overdrive] skill. The world is full of wyverns and it's their fault" Amity said with a mix of laughter and anger.

"Oh, not you, little gecko, you're fine" She smiled.

Ok? Ok. But still there's something bugging me.

Then, if naming me is that huge, what's the problem with the name she said? Iny...oka is it? I asked and received a sigh from Zenshin and laughter from Amity.

Inyoka won't fit you because that's the elvish word for 'dragon'. I blinked. Think if a human is named Human, and elf named Elf. Now I understand why that is a bad name for me, yeah, I agree with Zenshin. 

I nodded in understanding and Zenshin smiled while Amity pouted once more.

"Fine, fine, I'll choose another name. Even though I find that name perfect" She said the last part with a low voice. Amity put her hand on her chin while humming.

"Hmmm, if I use ancient elfic it'll be better. Can I just pick a random word? No, no I can't, given by the look on Zenny's face. Well, there was his spell, that was shiny and nice, looked like a mini-sun… THAT'S IT" She shouted as she pointed upwards then at me with exaggerated movements.

"I name you Denaru Theriz" She said as she crouched and extended her hand to me. In the middle of the palm of her hand a circular line formed and extended 2 centimeters above her hand. I looked at Zenshin and he simply nodded his head.

I approached Amity carefully as the circle began to mutate and transform into a series of complex patterns that I can't even begin to describe.

[ Proficiency points have reached the threshold. Skill [Parallel Processing] achieved Lv. 4 ]

[ Proficiency points have reached the threshold. Skill [Parallel Processing] achieved Lv. 5 ]

"Ooops, you won't want to look directly at it while it's morphing. This is the System's language and is a nice way to ask for a headache" Amity said as I felt what she meant as my head began to feel like it'll explode, but as soon as I took my eyes off it the pain stopped.

I won't even argue about it, just a glance was enough for my skill to gain 2 full levels and give me a powerful headache, who knew what would happen if I kept looking at that…

Ok, I guess [Knowledge Library] won't give me that answer that easily, a shame.

"You can look now, and put your paw on top of my hand" She said.

I looked over and saw an intricate fractal that was almost as big as Amity's hand and on her arm the chains made of light began to appear but it looks like Amity is keeping them in check. I stood there for a couple of seconds admiring that fractal, it wasn't like anything I had seen before.

Amity was just smiling while waiting for me, so I rapidly took a deep breath and built up courage to do it.

After I exhaled I pulled my paw from the ground and put it on top of Amity's hand. At that moment the fractal entered my hand and I felt it moving towards my torso and once in there I felt it move deeper inside me. I could feel it entering my soul but it didn't stop after just entering it, it moved even deeper towards the core of my very existence. Once it touched the core of my soul, it fused with it, causing ripples to form from it and shoot out to the rest of my soul.

In that moment I felt something change inside me, I wasn't Marcos Leandro anymore, now I was Denaru Theriz.

The ripples that were shot from my core caused my soul to shudder, it felt completely normal but I felt that something was off, something deep within my soul that shouldn't be there, but I couldn't be certain as I don't have a clue how a soul should be, I can only feel that it's wrong.

[ Individual, baby white dragon, has been granted the name 'Denaru Theriz'. Soul infusion completed ]

[ Individual, Denaru Theriz, has been granted a name by the Ruler of Pride, effects of naming have been multiplied ]

[ Experience points have reached the threshold. Individual, Denaru Theriz, has gone from Lv. 9 to Lv. 10, all basic attributes increased ]

[ Individual, Denaru Theriz, achieved all conditions. Evolution is now available ]

"Oh, wow, I was not expecting this much magicules to be necessary. I almost went into a coma, again" Amity played as the stream of magicules disappeared.

It took me a few seconds to process everything and I'm still not sure if I got everything right, but something for sure changed, I couldn't easily accept this world as real moments ago, but now? Now I believe it's as real as my old one. Having my name infused deep inside my soul and that weird message were enough to convince me. 

Besides being named, my body felt full of energy. It felt like I could run a marathon and still have energy left. It's no wonder they consider naming a creature such a big deal, if every monster became this full of energy I'm sure chaos would ensue.

"Wanna know what your name means?" Amity asked with her tongue out. I nodded energetically.

"Hehehe, feeling good after being named? Of course, you have been named by great me! Hehehe" She said, full of confidence. "Your name means "Shiny star in the darkest night" in ancient elfic, just like that little spell you've done" She said happily and proud, was as if she was waiting for praises.

After thinking for a bit, I decided to go for it and boost her ego. It is a good name, I liked it. I said in the telepathic link.

"Oh, thank you" She said, sending a kiss in my direction.

I have a question, not about the name but about something else. What does evolution mean? I asked both of them and while Zenshin was preparing to explain, Amity shouted with her eyes wide open.

"You can evolve now? Like, right now?!" She shouted. I simply nodded which caused her to laugh like a maniac.

"Oh he'll get SOOOOO jealous I've made a white dragon evolve on my own, without any help" She continued to laugh.

Ignoring her, evolution is the final step a white dragon has to make to become a dragon or a wyvern. In monsters it represents a new level in power. While monsters have various evolution paths and can go through multiple evolutions, dragons only have one evolution possible, staying like that for the rest of their lives, so I advise you to choose wisely. Zenshin spoke.

How do I do it? I asked and received a just think about evolving as an answer from Zenshin.

Ok, so I just need to think about evolving? That's easy. I didn’t even manage to think about anything after that because a screen was already on my face.

[ Possible evolutions available ]
[ Fire Dragon ]
[ Infernal Dragon ]
[ Razortail Dragon ]
[ Solar Dragon ]

I just stared at the screen for a few moments before looking up, seeing Amity still mumbling in her own world and Zenshin just staring.

It’s your own path. I can’t decide for you, but I can offer my knowledge. He said. I nodded before returning my attention towards the screen.

There are four options for me to choose, and from those four, I can only say for sure I know what one is. Who wouldn’t know what a fire dragon is? but my doubt is from the other three… I can imagine what they are based on the names, or I can ask Zenshin and my skill about it, and I'm inclined to ask them both. First I'll ask about my skill.

[Fire dragons are one of the basic elemental dragons that exist. They have a great affinity with the fire element and are immune to temperatures up to two thousand degrees celsius]

[Infernal dragons are dragons who specialize in killing their opponent with a method to cause the most pain in their prey, some say they like to eat meat from agonizing creatures because it adds flavor to it]

[Razortail dragons are dragons with blade-like wings, tails, fangs and claws that are so sharp that they can cut through a mountain with ease. their scales can be molded in incredible sharp weapons]

[Solar dragons are a rare race of dragons that have bodies similar to stars. Their blood is in a permanent plasma state and their scales are one of the most perfect thermal isolators that exists. Their internal temperature varies between a thousand and five hundred degrees celsius to ten thousand degrees celsius]

Ok, ok. Interesting information. But one option is already a nop for me, i won’t choose the infernal dragon option at all, that option is completely sadistic, and i’m not one. I asked Zenshin and Amity about my options and gave the information my skill gave me as well, but their answers…. could’ve been better.

“Oh. Oh. Oh. You must choose the Razortail option, that way you can cut everything that attacks you, and you then can cut even more to prepare the meat for us to eat! But one thing, do not choose the fire dragon option, it’s the worst” Amity said.

While It’s rare, I've heard about Infernal and Razortail dragons. Let’s say they aren’t the best ones to make friends with, unless you’re a masochist or have armor as skin like some dragons have. But I agree with Amity, do not choose the Fire dragon. Dragons have a hierarchy among them, and elemental dragons, like the Fire dragon, are on the bottom of it. Zenshin said.

They didn’t help much, but at least I can mark off another option, no Fire dragon for me. That leaves me with Razortail and Solar… Yeah, I'm going with solar, it’s not even that hard to choose. Who in their right mind would choose a sharp thingy over a thing that can literally melt anything?

I chose the Solar dragon option mentally and the screen vanished like it was never there. but before I could say anything, a wave of dizziness hit me.

[ Individual, Denaru Theriz, is evolving to Solar Dragon ]

I tried to resist the dizziness to the best of my abilities, but everything I've managed to gain before falling to sleep was…

[ Proficiency points have reached the threshold. Skill [Faint Resistance] achieved Lv. 5 ]

12