A Stolen Princess
195 5 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

My respect and sincere admiration goes to all my favorite medieval fantasy authors because it is not as easy as they make it out to be.

Just like this one, many a tale starts off with a fair maiden being whisked off by some monstrous beast into its lair for God only knows what nefarious reasons. After hearing about her plight, a handsome youth with more muscles, ahem, courage than wits would hurry to her rescue and save her from the creature’s clutches. Then they would live happily ever after. Alas, this is not the tale of a princess and her dashing knight.

***

The midday sun of Ruana during the summer wasn’t merciful to anyone, least of all to the group of warriors crossing the land under its scorching rays in full armor.

The journey so far hadn’t been easy on them. Once pristine clothes were now dirty and bore a countless number or small tears in various places, their original splendor and exquisite craftsmanship nowhere to be seen.  Armor, that just mere days ago was so shiny that it was almost sparkling as if it had been sprinkled with fairy dust, was now dull having lost its luster under several layers of dust kicked up from the road. The horses and their riders have not fared any better either. The earlier hard pace of their travels had taken a toll on both groups, and although they set out on the next leg of their journey only a few hours ago they were already showing signs of fatigue.

The men felt like they’d never be free of the thick layer of sweat and road dust covering their skins. But despite all of that, most of them still wore excited, eager expressions while they kept on chattering away amongst themselves animatedly, their spirits undoubtedly roused by the possibility of being able to marry a princess.

Jay was one of the few exceptions who didn’t seem to share in the furor permeating the group. Instead, he remained vigilant and took in their surroundings carefully. It was while surveying the nearby fields that he caught a glimpse of him - the other man seemed to restrain the pace of his horse on purpose to try to lessen his presence and to be able to keep to the back of the party.

It had been a fortnight since they set out with the mercenary group, but he still hadn’t managed to make the acquaintance of the man who had caught his attention so effortlessly from the very first time he had seen him – a warrior who hadn’t possessed a single article of fancy equipment and who, despite being belittled for not being a stupid show off, still continued to humbly offer his services to those in need. Now, he caught him wearing the same kind of morose expression that he was sure was settled over his own face as well and which, in turn, caused him to become even more interested.

Finally deciding to take on a more proactive approach, he pulled on the reins of his mount – a fairly common looking chestnut mare – to have it slow down until it fell in beside the warrior’s rather impressive steed. The entire horse was a warm, ashy grey color, while only its back was peppered with tiny, white spots, as though small flakes of snow fell on it.

But even more impressive than the animal, was the owner sitting atop its back. And from up close, Jay found even more reasons to be captivated by the stranger. Jay himself couldn’t exactly be called lacking in the looks department as he regularly trained to hone his skills – maintaining proper condition for his travels was a must – and good family genes took care of the rest, but the other man…

His well-worn outfit, which was almost coarse in its simplicity, hid a well-toned, sturdy body and the body of his horse was enclosed between firmly muscled, strong thighs…

Feeling that the course of his thoughts started heading towards dangerous territories, Jay had to swallow his saliva before moving his gaze away. But moving his gaze upwards didn’t help his situation any.

The man had lips that seemed to exist only to be kissed. His crown of long, black hair – the color deeper than the darkest nights of winter – was pulled back into a very simple, functional ponytail on the back of his head. There were only just a few tresses left free to hang lazily by the sides and cradle the chiseled features of his face. It truly made for a breathtaking sight.

However, what mesmerized him the most were the man’s eyes. He wasn’t a stranger to unusual eye colors by far. His own, the best he could describe it, was a fiery amber made by a myriad of shades coming together. The colors ranging from reddish to pale orange, to almost yellow; it was like his eyes were trying to imitate the color of burning flames and it was a combination considered exotic even in his own family. But that unique hue of purplish-blue seemed to lend the other party an almost ethereal air. To say it simply, the phrase ‘tall, dark and handsome’ probably existed just to describe this man.

Swallowing his saliva once more, Jay succeeded in pulling himself together enough to introduce himself.

“Well met, warrior. I believe we haven’t been formally introduced yet. I am Jay Windsworn, a historian from the Western Regions. From time to time, I would accompany mercenary bands to aid them in their quests with knowledge.”

It would have been a lie to say Linden wasn’t amused by the reactions of the handsome, somewhat scholarly looking man. At first he’d noticed the other for not behaving like an excited teen on his first excursion. He almost went to strike up an acquaintance, but decided to bide his time instead and see when curiosity would get the better of this only at first glance simple historian of his. He refused to believe even for a second that a scholar, who, by all rights, should be happy raiding libraries and reading up on myths in comfy studies, joining mercenary groups on missions –especially on dangerous ones like this one – could ever be simple.

Judging from the other man squirming around restlessly in his saddle beside him, the time for waiting was finally over. So, with a roguish grin on the inside, he turned to make his introductions.

“Well met, Master Windsworn. I am Linden Woodstalk, nothing but a wandering warrior humbly offering my services wherever they may be needed.”

Linden’s silky baritone would have been another deadly blow against Jay if his attention hadn’t been grabbed by something else. He felt his senses tingling when the warrior offered his name and it caused a slight frown to appear between his brows.

Usually, someone lying about their own name was business he didn’t poke his nose into. More often than not that meant more trouble than he cared for, but the vague details he sensed from Linden made him more than intrigued.

The lie was practiced to almost perfection. He said almost perfection, because no one without special abilities would take the man for anything but nonchalant. Still, due to his affinity Jay picked up on a few, albeit very faint, tells of him not being as indifferent as he would no doubt have preferred to appear. It was as if the reason for his discomfort was so deep-rooted that no matter how many times he got asked this question, he would still be affected.

His curiosity piqued, Jay decided to make a mention of it: “It may be too forward of me, Master Linden, but while there is nothing wrong with that name, I don’t believe you are being truthful with me.”

Linden was a bit taken off guard by being called out like that by someone in Ruana, but he already suspected Jay to be more than just what met the eye. A not so simple historian indeed, he affirmed in his mind.

“That is a request I am able to fulfill, but alas…” he said while taking a look at the mercenaries around them “…maybe in a bit more private settings.”

Jay, who just realized that he may very well have been rude and started to fidget around in his saddle nervously, calmed down instantly after seeing that the other man didn’t get mad and even agreed to satisfy his curiosity.

“That would be preferable, aye. This evening, after the company made camp?”

His only answer was a grunt in the affirmative.

There was no conversation to be had after that and they rode on in companionable silence for the remainder of the day.

***

With the anticipation building inside of him, nightfall couldn’t arrive soon enough for Jay. Once their group settled down for the night and he noticed Linden slipping away from camp, he immediately set about following him after making sure no one paid them any attention. However, although he set out almost at the same time as the other man, navigating the forest by moonlight took him long enough that by the time he arrived at the little clearing they discovered in the afternoon while helping to set up camp, Linden had already built a small fire to give them some light to talk by.

When he reached the fire he plopped down opposite of the warrior and started anxiously: “I must apologize. My behavior during our talk earlier in the day was increasingly rude. My curiosity getting the better of me is no excuse.”

Linden only gave a simple nod. “You shouldn’t trouble yourself over it, Master Windsworn. I am accustomed to a lot more atrocious behavior from people calling me out over my name, considering the folks tending to do so usually do know the name of my family and its origin, and they enjoy humiliating us because of it.”

Jay couldn’t help letting out a horrified gasp after he heard that.

“I was expecting something much along the lines of the usual treatment when you confronted me about it earlier, Master Windsworn.”

The aforementioned Master Windsworn was still much too numb from shock to react to that line.

“But I must confess, I’d love to hear more about how it could be that you knew Woodstalk was not the true name of my family, but at the same time are not aware of the real one. And I reckon the reason for a historian accompanying a bunch of mercenaries on such a dangerous excursion must be fascinating as well.”

If Jay wasn’t so busy panicking on the inside, he could have seen Linden’s calm facade slipping for a moment and showing an expression of pure evil – complete with teeth showing and eyes flashing – but having the tables turned on him like that, he felt like a small prey animal cornered by a hungry predator and became paralyzed.

Linden reorganized his facial features into their former calm state and carried on as if he couldn’t see what was going on at the other side of the fire. But his vision was unimpeded, and he was free to admire both of his companion’s reactions and looks. He already noticed the other’s lustrous brown hair, made more alive by the rusty colored strands running through it that gave off a metallic shimmer under the sun, during daylight. But in the light of the flickering flames of the fire, those strands seemed to become even more playful, holding him entranced for a few moments. Together with those yellow-orange eyes mirroring the flames, they lent Jay a visage as if he was more than human; as if he was one of the many wild creatures that existed in the olden days.

“Now, to keep my earlier promise about answering your queries, I would have to regale you with a good bit of old family lore. Of course, only if you are not against it becoming a tad long.”

“As someone who enjoys collecting various bits of history, I certainly wouldn’t object to hearing a lengthy story,” Jay finally snapped out of his stupor to respond. “But I’d be loath to break up an interesting tale later on to do my own answering. I also feel it would somewhat make up for my earlier behavior so, in a show of good faith, I might as well start.

“I was telling the truth earlier. I am a historian, although an unconventional one.

“Becoming History Keepers had been the tradition in my family for countless generations, but while some prefer the usual scholarly approach, some of us also pick up the way of the sword,” at this part he silently pulled back the edge of his cloak to show the weapon tied onto his left side, “to help others while wandering the world in search of legends to pen down for the generations to come.”

Linden found this very admirable, but not hearing what he wanted yet, he decided to keep quiet.

“To give a suitable answer to your other questions, I would also need to delve into a very small part of the lore surrounding my family,” recalling his family, a fond smile crept onto his face.

“According to old legend, my clan is descended from one of the ancient Winged Races of the Western Region and due to this marriage our blood is supposed to carry some special abilities. But this mythical union happened so long ago, and the blood became so diluted over time, that in these latter generations only a handful manifests just barely a hint of those magical abilities anymore. And even then, the strength of the skills displayed varies from individual to individual.

“It is said that once we were able to see the truth behind even the most carefully guarded secrets. Understanding the workings behind hidden mechanisms was supposed to be mere child’s play, done with just a simple glance and deciphering encrypted messages was also considered to be an instantaneous affair. If it was like in the past, I would have probably been able to tell even what the real name of your house was, but now the most we can manage is discerning with absolute surety when someone is lying to us. Those with more talent can also recognize what the lie was about.

“To make use of it, the relatives with the gift more often than not end up becoming Truthsayers. To let you in on another secret, most of the reputable Truthsayers are related to me.”

That made a lot of sense. While Linden didn’t have the personal honor of coming across one of the fabled Truthsayers during his adventures, information about them still managed to reach his ears. He didn’t know they mostly came from the same clan though. How fascinating.

“So, that’s how I could tell you were lying about your name and why I am currently on this mission with the mercenaries. I was employed by His Majesty, the king of Faeroza to aid in the recovery of his beloved daughter, Princess Precious, by making sure the party is not led astray by unscrupulous persons only seeking the reward issued by His Majesty for giving information about the dragon’s path. Not to mention, I have a bit of knowledge about dragons thanks to my identity as a History Keeper.”

“Aye, I must say, I found the whole process of the organization of this rescue party to be quite the ridiculous undertaking.” responded Linden. “It’s obvious at first glance that the king adores his daughter very much, but he still took two months – in a very time sensitive situation – to find the very best to save his daughter, just to be taken in by the first mediocre mercenary brigade that came along.”

The two exchanged somber glances over the fire.

In all honesty, Linden didn’t think Druncen and his men were all that bad, they just weren’t seasoned enough for the task. They were chattering excitedly about either the possibility of marrying a princess or about gaining fame for themselves by killing a dragon. As if it was that easy to get rid of one of those pests, he disdained.

“I must thank you for satisfying my curiosity, Master Jay. Now, I believe it is my turn to return the favor.”

Jay nodded excitedly, his inner scholar roused by the chance of learning about another piece of history.

“I hail from a far away country that many on the Continent believe only to be the thing of fairytales, the country of Avarice. Being a History Keeper you might have heard about it,” he hazarded.

“Aye, I’ve heard about Avarice. Especially about its dragons.” Jay suddenly felt enlightened. “So that’s why you’ve also joined this excursion.”

 “Aye, but thankfully, this tale of mine does not have anything to do with them.

“I actually come from a long line of warriors. Our ancestral line has been producing holy warriors for a long time, but thousands of years ago, the line gave birth to an exceptional hero that outshined all those who came before him, and he continues to do so with all those who came after him as well till this very day.

“Everything started with this ancient ancestor of mine, named Aarik and...” he didn’t have a chance to continue because Jay suddenly exclaimed.

“Aarik?! You mean that Aarik?! You are related to the legendary hero?!” All semblance of dignity belonging to a well-learned scholar disappeared from Jay as he transformed into a starry-eyed child who just had his favorite hero mentioned in front of him.

Linden just gave a tired smile. “I see you’ve heard of him.”

“Of course, he was such an exemplary hero that even those of us living in the far away Western Region have heard about him, but I don’t understand what your family name being an excuse for mockery  has to do with him...” he let himself trail away while he got lost in his thoughts.

“Oh, do forgive me.” Jay finally noticed himself with embarrassment. “Please, carry on with the tale.”

More amused than annoyed, Linden did just that.

“As I’ve started to say, the whole sordid affair began with Aarik and the Decrees he’d earned from a long ago king of Avarice for his various heroic deeds throughout the land. Living out on the far West, I imagine the most you’ve heard about are his awe aspiring achievements and the legends probably only ever mention his first name.”

Now, that Linden pointed it out, Jay really found that little tidbit of information curious. Not wishing to interrupt again though, he only gave the briefest of nods in the affirmative.

“Well, Aarik had been famous far and out for more than just his impossible feats, his prowess in the bedroom was something that was also legendary. One day people would be talking about him defeating this monster and stopping that army, just to turn around, and gossip about him making passionate love to one – or a few – of his supposed lovers the next. His conquests were frequently the talk of banquets, and he wasn’t exactly shy about them if asked. He was also said to be such a voracious lover that there were rumors spreading around about his wives actually welcoming the new additions to their group because they would lessen the burden of his appetite on their bodies.”

Linden paused here, just to catch a look of wide eyed disbelief from the other side of the fire.

“It’s true, the exact number of his wives is still often argued about at parties till this very day,” he followed up, giving a wide smile with just a little hint of teeth. ”Him being busy entertaining his ladies for entire mornings and – on more than one occasion – well into the afternoon, was a well-known fact on the battlefields. That he actually got anything done at all like that is amazing in itself. He always showed up for battles late, but once he did, the enemy was done for.

“After defeating many a monster terrorizing the population and protecting Avarice – almost single-handedly – from invading countries wishing to obtain its riches for themselves many times, King Alric decided to reward him in kind. Aarik was offered two Royal Decrees to grant him whatever he wished for. The reward was, in part, particularly generous because the two grew up together and were childhood friends, but also because Alric trusted Aarik to not take advantage of the situation.

“Needless to say, being granted such an honor caused many of the nobles to feel jealous. The situation quickly escalated, with some even turning hostile, after the content of the first decree was made public.

“Aarik had asked for his ancestral land and all the other land given to him for his services during the years to be put under the name of his family, to not be able to be taken away even by the Crown itself. There are also insane requirements to be met if we ever wanted to sell a piece of it but those are not important. Let it be said though, that we are talking about quite a large amount of land and with this decision a sizeable chunk of Avarice became the privately owned property of my family.

“Such a luxurious treatment wasn’t enjoyed by even the families of the founding princes, so of course, many of the nobles and ministers started arguing about this preferential treatment, even going as far as asking the king to reconsider.

“But the monarch remained unrelenting, saying he would show them the same consideration if they could display the same level of accomplishments. Also, as a ruler, once said he was honor bound by his words. It just wouldn’t do for him to promise something then retract it the next day. Another reason given by the king was that he, more than anyone, understood about the fickleness of royalty, and he couldn’t very well let the family of their nation’s hero to be thrown onto the streets once one of his bratty future descendants had a change of heart.

“After that those in the opposition pretty much resigned themselves, but the tensions endured until Aarik’s second wish had been made known.

“And now the story has arrived at the source of all evil – at least where my family is concerned - and the cause of my family’s thousands of years long plight and humiliation, the second Royal Decree.

 “I’ve already mentioned before, but Aarik was truly proud of his ability to perform and wished to honor it somehow.”

Here Jay’s eyes opened wide and his mouth fell open with question and disbelief, but before he could have asked, Linden just gave him a long suffering look along with a nod and continued on with the tale.

“Aye, he had this brilliant idea to change the name of his house into Morningwood.”

Just saying it, Linden didn’t know whether he should laugh or curse up a storm at this witty ancestor of his, the momentary indecisiveness causing the expression on his face to become quite awkward. He also found the fact that Jay had been able to hold back his laughter after hearing that very admirable.

 “King Alric at first thought that his old friend was just messing with him, but eventually he had to realize that he was dead serious. Alas, the king was such a good friend of Aarik  and because it amused him to no end – according to popular rumor, he spent quite a few hours in private, and not so private, howling with laughter because of it – he decided to go along with this request of his as well.”

Jay wanted to ask something again, but Linden, as if reading his thoughts – or maybe he just had that much practice at telling this tale – continued on much like the previous time without giving him the chance.

“The two of them also went to great lengths to ensure the family name couldn’t be changed by some easily embarrassed future descendant.” The old bastards, Linden couldn’t help grousing on the inside.

“The requestee shall have some serious meritorious service towards the Crown to show under their belts to be even able to request such a thing. And nay, my family’s previous heroic deeds don’t count. Another important condition to fulfill is that we also shall possess the favor of the Crown - the latter is impossible in this generation as the current king seems to hate my family and our constant humiliation is of great enjoyment to him.

“With no viable legal options available the family decided to try some other tricks.

“There is a special type of tree in Avarice that is especially fragrant in the mornings, thus it is named Morning tree. Our family land actually has an abundance of them, so the ancestors tried to explain it away as if the family had been named after those trees. Unfortunately, this method only worked with foreign visitors, and even then only until a local noble showed up and filled them in on the true origin of the name.

“After that the various branches tried to use different aliases. As you can guess from my name, this is still the most trusted method, but it didn’t go over as well either.

“While the younger relatives could get away with using aliases, our bloodline has inherited some very distinctive features from Aarik. Beauty and general good looks seem to run in the blood, but the most telling is the color of our eyes. Everyone in the family seems to have this purplish-blue eye color that besides us, no one else has in Avarice. So, just a simple glance into the eyes of one of us and the game is up. You can easily imagine all the mockery that would come with such a discovery.

“After a while people seemed to take pity on us though, and now everyone seems to take our invented names at face value. Or at least they don’t laugh into our faces anymore.

“Anyway, the only avenue left open to us was to become ‘heroes’.  To achieve this, making a living out of saving people one way or another kind of became the norm inside the family. By now it turned into our family creed and it’s also a way for us to live relatively free lives by travelling to foreign countries and making a living there.

“You see, Aarik may have been famous, but his full name didn’t manage to travel the lands and that is a fact my family is increasingly grateful for. Even if I introduced myself to this lot here, they wouldn’t realize my identity. To them, I am just a small time mercenary who wants to leech off of them and take advantage of their fame to make a name for myself.

“But if we were in Avarice or one of its neighboring countries? After a few rounds of mockery, everyone would pretty much leave it up to me because they know about the reputation of my family and that one of our ilk will always get the job done.

“Alright, with that my tale is finished. Do you have any questions left, Master Jay?” said Linden, his voice holding a barely noticeable hint of suggestion.

 “Only one, Master Linden,” answered Jay after pondering for a short while. ”Do you also take after Aarik in that regard?” he asked not even bothering to hide the mischievousness in his eyes or in his voice.

“Oh, wouldn’t you like to know?” returned the other man with a positively devilish grin, his eyes taking on a predatory gleam.

***

The experiment was concluded as an indisputable success seeing the two only managed to catch up with the rescue party three days later.

-The End-

 

6