Chapter 9.1
273 3 16
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

After my shower, I headed back to the lounge for some breakfast. I decided that today I was going to eat cereal. As weird as it may sound, I was kind of getting tired of meat. I know that I didn’t always have to eat meat. It just kind of felt like I needed to. Everyone else was probably already out hanging with their friends, so I ate alone.

After breakfast, I decided to go see my aunt. It was time to see if she knew anything about magic in the family. I knew that she had held secrets from me, but I hoped that we were past that now since I knew everything else. Leaving the dorm, I set out for my aunt's office.

When I knocked on the door, there was no answer. How could she be the headmistress if she was hardly in her office? I was about to walk away when I felt a hand on my shoulder. Turning around, I saw my Biology professor, Mrs. Lingly.

“If you are looking for your aunt, you check the forest. I believe she said something about needing to let loose for a few.” Mrs. Lingly said with a smile. If I was right about what she was saying, then my aunt was running through the forest as a wolf, which meant I would be able to communicate with her with my mind. It was still weird and something that I was getting used to, but it did make it easier when we were distanced away.

Taking the side door, I headed into the forest. Shifting, I began running through the woods. It was nice having the feeling of the earth against my paws. As I ran, I searched for my aunt mentally. It didn’t take long to find her.

(Well, hello there, little one. I am glad to feel your presence.) She said. I could tell that she was close. I did my best to navigate through the forest by following her aura. It was difficult when I could feel the presence of other animals.

(Aunt Brenda, I have a question.) I said as I continued running towards her. In the near distance, I could hear the small heartbeat of something. I did my best to ignore it, as the cereal had already burned up. The last thing I wanted to do was to kill another animal. Especially when I was an animal as well.

(I already know what you're going to ask, and the answer is no. And before you go thinking that I am keeping something from you, you should know that in this form, we can't lie. As I am sure you have already noticed, we can hear each other's thoughts.) she said. It was true. I could hear her thoughts. And what she was thinking about was my mom.

(Don’t worry, little one, we will get to see her once again. There are just some things that need to be taken care of before that can happen. And as for your dad, he is close but has to be very careful.) she said. I could feel the sadness in her. I knew that this had to be hard for her. After all, mom was her twin. That was something that I was jealous of. My aunt and my mom were twins, and Ally and Erin were twins, but I was an only child. Or so I was told. That is one thing I didn’t think they would keep from me.

After about twenty-five acres, I saw the white of my aunt’s fur. Immediately I darted in her direction. It had been a while since I had run with her through the woods that surrounded our home. Getting close enough to be eye to eye, I felt a little joy. In a way, it felt like I was near mom. I wondered what my mom looked like in wolf form. I bet she looked like my aunt.

(Not even close. Your mom’s fur is almost like a dalmatian. She is white with giant black spots. Your uncle used to tease her growing up, before the accident.) There was sadness in Aunt Brenda’s thoughts. I was about two when there was a hunting accident. For the longest time, I thought that he was killed because he wasn’t wearing orange, but now I realize he was killed because he was mistaken for a normal wolf.

Remembering what I looked like, a feeling of dread took over me. Something I hadn’t felt before when I was playing with Ariel and Keno. I was different. And I didn’t mean a different fur color. I didn’t have fur, and my skin was almost pitch black. If any human saw me, they would probably die from fright. I looked like something that came out of a horror film.

(You are a beautiful little one. Sure, you are a bit different, but you are still a wolf. No one can take that from you)  she said. I came to a stop, causing her to have to backtrack a bit. How could she play off my looks like this? I didn’t fit in with the rest of the wolves. But I also didn’t fit in with the vampires. Why did mom and dad have to create me?

(Because they loved each other. And then they loved you when you were born. To them, you were nothing more than the child that they both wanted. Everything else came later.) She thought, reading my mind. I was about to say more when I felt another presence coming towards us. They were moving fast.

(Headmistress, I am sorry to disturb you, but there is someone here to see you. It’s a girl and her parents. I think that she is an exchange student.) came the thoughts of Ariel. Within seconds, she was standing next to me, her brown coat catching the sunlight just right, making her fur shine.

(I am sorry, girls, but I need to take care of that. You two be careful out there. Some of these trees don’t play nice. And stay away from the Harpy who is nesting nearby. She’s in heat and liable to lash out.) was all aunt Brenda said before racing off towards the school. I didn’t know why she needed to tell us that a harpy was in heat. Don’t get me wrong, I am a girl and understand mating season, but it wasn’t something that I wanted to discuss.

(So, are you and Keaira a thing?) Ariel asked once my aunt was no longer in sight. I knew that it was pointless to remind her that my aunt could still hear our thoughts.

(No, we are not a thing. At least not yet. I think she likes me, but I can’t be certain. I am not going to assume anything, and if it gets brought up, then I guess we will cross that bridge.) I said as I started heading back to the academy.

            The way back was quiet. I could feel Ariel's thoughts, but there wasn’t anything to say. I know why she thought that there was something between Keaira and me, but it was just too soon. Not to mention that I was still dealing with a lot. The last thing that I wanted to do was put that on someone else.

When we reached the academy, Keno and Keaira were sitting under the giant oak tree. They both waved at us as we walked towards them. We both shifted, then sat down next to them.

“There is a new exchange student. She is another vampire. Although it’s really strange. She looks a lot like you, Michala.” Keno said as he leaned against Ariel. She smiled and rested her head against his. I was curious if the reason Ariel asked if there was something going on between Keaira and me was that there was something going on between them.

“Yeah, Ariel told my aunt. We were in the forest. But what do you mean she looks like me?” I asked. I knew that they said that there is always someone who looks a lot like you somewhere out there in the world, but what were the odds that they would be going to Helsing Academy.

“Yeah, it was really freaky. For a moment, I um… really mistook her for you...” Keaira said, blushing as she tried to hide her face. After what they were saying, I knew that I would have to meet this person. I am sure that we didn’t look exactly the same.

16