Chapter 13.1
215 1 13
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It had been a few days since I had been attacked. My injuries were healing pretty well, thanks to a healer that the nurse had come to treat my wounds. I was finally able to leave the office and go back to classes, but they gave me the day off so that I had time to rest correctly in my own bed.

When I made it back to the dorm, Leanna was sitting there. Looking up, she smiled, though I was wary about her smile. I know they said that she saved me, but I still didn’t know her motives.

“You look like you’re doing better,” she said as she came up and hugged me. Part of me wanted to push her away, but I didn’t want to feel rude, despite everything that had happened.

“If it wasn’t for you, I wouldn’t be here, so thank you,” I said as I finally pulled away. I was feeling very uncomfortable. The look on Leanna’s face was surprising. She seemed hurt that I pulled away from her. This was not her usual behavior.

“Look, I want to apologize again for how I have been acting. I am so tired of hating you for no reason. It is my father who hates you, though I don’t know why,” Leanna said as she sat on the couch. Then she continued, “It started when it was found out that you were going to be starting school. Something about your parents set him off,”

I was trying so hard not to believe her, but she seemed so sincere. There was something in her voice that told me that she was telling the truth. I was about to say something when Keaira came into the room.

“Hello, Leanna, did you tell her?” Keaira asked. Leanna looked up at her and nodded. Then Keaira continued, “now perhaps we can put all this behind us. My father will be filing a petition to have your father’s influence removed.”

Leanna looked as if she was relieved, then happy. It was the craziest thing, seeing her mood change hearing her father’s power could possibly be stripped. It was still an odd feeling, having Leanna be niece to me. Maybe it would be one less worry on my plate.

We all sat there and talked for a while. Slowly some of Leanna’s other friends started to pile in. They all seemed shocked when they saw her talking to me. I guess they were just as shocked as I was. Eventually, Keaira and I headed to the table in the kitchenette.

“So, do I have you to thank for that?” I asked as I grabbed a glass of orange juice. Sitting back down, I looked at her waiting for her to answer.

“Not as much as you might think. Apparently, Leanna has been trying to figure out how to tell you for a while. Though, with what I have heard about her father's recent activities, I wouldn’t doubt it if he was the one who sent that wolf after you. Or perhaps it was the student who is supposed to be hunting you.” Keaira said.

Although she was trying to sound reassuring, I could see the confusion on her face. I could tell that something was bothering her. Her thoughts only worsened my problems. Not knowing who was after me was really stressing me out.

Since I didn’t go to class, Keaira decided to take the time to teach me some light spells. Things that I could use to protect myself. As she was teaching me, I told her about my experience in the recovery ward. She seemed surprised.

“I have never heard of anyone conjuring a black flame. I don’t even think that there is any history of a witch being able to cast a black flame.” Keaira said with enthusiasm. She seemed very interested in it, so I did my best to copy what I did when I was in the ward. Sure enough, I was able to summon a black flame. She stared at it for a moment, then smiled.

“It isn’t hot. I mean, I can barely feel any heat from it.” I said. I looked at it and somehow was reminded of a rose. In an instant, the fire lept into life, morphing until it was the shape of a rose. Keaira and I both gasped.

“That is a neat trick, Michala. Where did you learn to do that?” Keaira asked as she admired it.

“I didn’t. I was just thinking about how it looked like a rose, and then it just changed.” I said. As I went to touch it, it felt cool to the touch. Every part of it felt as real as if I were holding a real rose in my hand. I closed my hand, and it disappeared like last time. I wondered how that would be useful in a fight.

By the time it was time for dinner, I was mentally exhausted. Tomorrow was going to be just as exhausting, as I would resume my classes as well as my training. I hoped that eventually, this would get easier, and I wouldn’t feel like going straight to bed after.

The next morning, I got breakfast as usual, then headed to my aunt’s office. I needed to talk to her about the attack. There was something that didn’t add up.

I was about to knock on the door when I heard voices from inside. Curious, I pressed my ear against the door.

“You let her get attacked. You say that you are responsible for her well-being, yet she gets attacked by a rogue wolf. How can you claim to be protecting her when you can’t even keep her safe in the forest? “ came one of the voices. I recognized it. It was my mom. Or did I even call her that? If my dream wasn’t really a dream, that meant that a goddess was actually my mom.

“Don’t take that tone with me, Rebecca. You are the one who got yourself caught, causing you to have to go into hiding. Hell, you’re the one who made her life a living hell. She was the first hybrid born, and what do you do? That’s right, you take her for your own. And then you have me tell that ridiculous lie that hybrids are forbidden. How long do you think she will walk around ignorant. And NOW, we have her sister here.” Brenda said.

I walked away from the door slowly. So my parents weren’t really my parents. And Alexandrea was my sister? So it was true. My dream was real. I know that the goddess, I mean my mother, said I needed to find out the truth. But was this how I was supposed to find out. Or was there more to it? I wanted to go in there and confront them, but I knew if I did, they would know I was eavesdropping.

Even with this knowledge, I would have to pretend that I didn’t know until I uncovered the whole truth. This included finding out who was hunting for me and why—the real reason. Then, something hit me. What was the mark on my neck then. Was it really to hide me, or was it for some unknown purpose. I needed to find out.

I went to my classes as usual. The last thing I needed to do was act suspicious. If I started missing classes now, my “aunt” would know that something was up. I didn’t really say much to anyone, just threw myself into my homework. I was sure that people noticed that I was quiet, but they could easily assume that I was still recovering from my injuries.

By lunch, I had been successful at acting like everything was normal. I sat with my friends at lunch, and we talked as we ate. Keno and Ariel talked about what they were going to do after they graduated. Apparently, their relationship was getting serious. I was happy for them. There was a twinge in my heart, though, because I knew what I wanted. And I knew what I needed to do. Slowly I leaned over to Keaira.

13