Chapter 15.2
170 2 10
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Everyone stared at her for a moment. I wondered what they were thinking. Would then now worry if two hybrids were walking around. It was obvious that I had been lied to about the reason that my identity had to be kept secret. I know that my mom said that there was a reason for me being born. A way to finally end the fighting, but how was I going to do that.

            It looked like Keno was about to ask a question when we heard a knock at the door. Everyone froze. I was hoping that it was their manservant or a maid because the last thing I wanted was trouble with her parents. Calita put a finger over her mouth and gestured for us not to move. Then she walked over to the door and peeked out of it.

            “Hey, Dad, what are you doing up. No, I didn’t bring any werewolves here. Who told you that. What, now dad, I promise there are no werewolves in my room,” said talking to her dad. We tried to hear what her dad was saying, but it was as if the door was soundproof, even with it being cracked. Then the door burst open.

            “No werewolves, you say. Then why are the goddess’s children here? You know I demanded that they were never to step foot in fairyland again. They will bring nothing but a war to our doorstep in time,” Calita’s dad said. A stabbing feeling tore through my heart.

            “They needed somewhere without the possibility of ears. They had just found out the truth about them. Plus, what I just told Michala before we came here,” Calita said, trying to defend her actions. Her dad sighed and looked at us.

            “I have no quarrel with you two, but the goddess birthed you to end this war. However, to end a war, there has to be a war,” Calita’s dad said. I could tell that he was sincere, but I couldn’t help but feel like he was blaming Alex and me. We didn’t ask to be born, much less be born to end a war.

            “Everyone keeps talking about a war, but I haven't seen one. How does anyone know that there is going to be a war?” Keno asked, completely confused. Although no one else asked the question, I was sure that most of them were thinking it.

            “Though vampires and werewolves have lived together for some time, it isn’t without tension. Some think that the races should be separated. Each side wants to believe that their ancestors were the superior race—those who do not know the real story between Helsing or Dracula.

            “So no matter what we do, we will be a part of this war?” Alex asked. The king nodded with a sigh.

            “Unfortunately, yes. Everyone is hoping that you two will succeed, but we must distance ourselves from you as much as possible for the time being. Calita will continue to go to the academy. Still, after tonight, you are no longer allowed in fairyland,” the king said before walking away. He didn’t give us any room to argue.

            With the king gone and the door shut once more, everyone turned and looked at me. Just what I needed. I still didn’t know what they thought. For once, I wished I had a magic spell that would allow me to see into their minds so that I knew if they were planning on heading for the hills.

            “Well, This is all a little much to wrap my head around in one night. I am very tired and ready to get some sleep,” Ariel said. Calita nodded and performed the little ritual she used earlier to open the doorway back to the academy. One by one, we passed through the doorway. I was the last to exit besides Calita. I still didn’t know what they were thinking and what that would mean for me.

            “Look, Michala. I know you are probably freaking out right now, but I want you to know that no matter what, I will always be by your side,” Keaira said, wrapping an arm around me. Just feeling her touch almost made me melt. I was so lucky to have her in my life.

            “And you know I will be here for you. We are going to be best friends for life,” Ariel chimed in. looking at her, I gave a light smile. I hoped that she was right. Despite her quirkiness, she was an amazing friend.

            “Even if I become this so-called queen?” I asked, half-teasing, half-serious. Ariel just grinned before curtsying. This made me blush a little.

            “As much as I would love to stay here and chat, we have classes in the morning, and it’s already late,” Calita said. Everyone mumbled in agreement. Even I started to yawn. I think this had been the latest I had stayed up since we had gotten to the academy.

            As we all got back to the dorm, Calita said goodbye, then headed for her room. I watched her for a moment then turned my attention to Keaira. She was smiling again. I wondered why she was smiling but didn’t want to press it.

            “Well, I will see you two tomorrow. Perhaps I will see you before I fall asleep, Michala,” Ariel said as she hugged me before heading to our room. I wondered what I would do without her as my friend. That was a world I didn’t want to live in.

            “So, not only are you in the family of one of the founders but now you are supposed to be a queen? Never thought I would be dating a future queen. I wonder what people would say,” Keaira teased. I scowled at her. She laughed before looking at me with doe eyes. “You know you love me.

            “I do love you, but I don’t want to be a queen,” I said, shaking my head.

            “I don’t want to be a savior or a queen either,” Alex said from behind us.  She had been so quiet that I had forgotten that she was there. I felt a little embarrassed flirting with my girlfriend with my twin standing there. It felt a little awkward, though I didn’t know why I was so embarrassed. I had always been open about my sexuality, so why did it matter now?

            “Well, sis, I think I am going to call it a night as well. Being late is not something that I much enjoy,” Alex said before giving me an awkward one-armed hug. Then she nodded to Keaira before heading for her room, leaving Keaira and me all alone. Under normal circumstances, I would enjoy this.

            Leaning over, Keaira kissed me on the cheek. The feeling of blood rushed to my cheeks. It still felt so strange having someone other than family kiss me, even if it was on the cheek. I almost went weak at the knees. Who knew how much power one kiss could have over me.

            “Well, I think it would be best if we went to bed as well. I am sure that we are both going to have a hard time waking up in the morning. No sense in adding to it,” Keaira said. Reluctantly I nodded. I knew she was right. Smiling, she gave me another kiss before disappearing down the hallway to her room.

            Sighing, I walked to my room. When I went inside, I saw that Ariel was already asleep. So much for talking to her. I laid down in my bed and closed my eyes, thinking about everything that had happened. The last thing I remember thinking was that I would give my family a chance to explain everything when I felt ready to confront them. Then I faded out of existence.

10