Chapter 16
27 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Even though the kingdom was named after the Sun, the nobility and the rich were primary believers of the Sun God. Most ordinary people had their mish mash of pagan and gnostic spiritual practices that were based on their professions or the nature around them. It was one of the reasons why the Sun Temple was especially eager to help nobles in distress.

The moment Locke requested a meeting, the priest at the Sun Temple promptly responded. He was a somewhat plump man with a childish face and a happy smile. On his neck was a huge pendent shaped in the form of a blazing sun.

"Locke, little one, I've seen you grow up as a little child. I never expected you to become so responsible!" The priest flattered Locke's ego.

"I am forever grateful to have grown up under your watch Father Molard." Locke said respectfully. 

The priest, Molard, saw that Locke hadn't become arrogant on discovering his new authority and inwardly nodded. 'A good seed, a tragedy that he was born a bastard.' Father Molard thought.

"Come to my study. We can discuss matters in peace." Father Molard said.

In the study, Locke sat down while the priest ordered a subordinate to prepare tea.

"So what brings you to the temple, child?" Father Molard asked.

"I am sure that you are aware of the terrible state that the Barony currently is in." Locke began.

"Yes, are you here to ask for the Temple's help to replace your lost guards? You know what the temple's conditions are. We never reject those in need." Father Molard said excitedly.

Locke shook his head. "I am a mere administrator for the Baron. I have certainly put forth the possibility of putting our trust in the Sun God for help in front of Master Trive. However, such decisions are not in my hand." 

Father Molard was a little disappointed. He had seen the terrible events take place in the Barony with open eyes. While violence was a tragic event, the god always has his own way to determine outcomes. Perhaps it was an opening for the temple to open its arms to the masses. He quickly guessed that the wastrel Trive had probably become the next power center. Knowing about his sleazy habits, he realized that Trive would be unlikely to pledge allegiance to the Sun and abandon his alcoholic addiction.

"On the other hand, I have a proposition for the Temple. I cannot allow permission for relaxation of temple preaching laws in the Barony, but how about one village?" Locke cautiously asked.

"You will allow the temple to openly preach in one village?" Molard asked in surprise and immediately began to consider it. "Don't tell me you are planning to rebuild Herish Vilage?"

Locke sighed. "The Barony is desperate right now and my hands are tied from any big moves. This is the experiment I've come up with." Locke said as he took out a scroll and placed it on Molard's desk, before unfurling it.

It was a map. The map showed a path from the Town Mith to Herish Village, but didn't stop there. The path went ahead until it reached Viscount Bilary's power center, Krin City. The only city in the Viscounty. 

"This..." Father Molard was considering the possibilities.

"My plan is to rebuild Herish Village into a free town. The settlers in the town will pay no taxes, as long as they are from outside the Barony. You can freely preach in such a town." Locke explained.

"Yes...indeed, Free towns are quite successful in the Merchant Nations, but the nobles of the Sun Kingdom have always been short sighted. But, if you don't tax the town, how will you earn revenue?" Father Molard asked.

"I won't. Instead, the land will be rented out. As more people desire to move within the borders, the demand for rent will increase. Also, an trading town will boost the wealth of the Barony as a whole by increasing the development." Locke answered.

Father Molard was stunned. This young man was a really thoughtful planner! "So you will allot us land and allow us to freely preach. What do you want in return?"

"Two things. I hope the Temple offers protection to the town, not just from Bandits and enemies, but from other Nobles desiring to seize the town of it becomes successful. The second, is to advertise about the town as one with potential. Perhaps, in the future, the town might even become a city and a religious center for the Temple!" Locke extrapolated.

"Your proposal, I am quite in favor of it. However, I must still discuss the matter with the proctor. Wait for me in the sermon chamber." Father Molard seriously said.

Half an hour later, Father Molard had arrived with a holy contract. Locke, as the administrator and Molard as the Temple's representative signed off on the deal.

Molard didn't forget what the proctor told him. "A fourteen year old came up with such a complex plan? You must befriend him, his wings wouldn't simply remain within a tiny Barony. If he needs any support, offer it to him."

When Locke returned to the mansion, he actually found almost fifteen people waiting to meet him. His attempt at recruiting the prisoners were better than he thought.

He quickly summoned them into his study. The fifteen were quietly standing in front of Locke as he observed them. It had taken them a lot of courage to turn up at the Mansion, knowing that it could be trick to get them caught. However, they had some trust in Locke and the desire to live a peaceful live with their families overwhelmed their fear of being in hiding disconnected from them.

Locke observed them all and nodded. "Do you know why I particularly visited your families?" He asked with a smile.

The others didn't know how to respond. Locke didn't wait for them to. He continued on his own.

"None of you committed violent crimes. Many of you resorted to thievery only because the taxes were too high, or the weather had forced your crops to fail. All of you still have families you love. In short, I am confident that most of you will probably never return to a criminal lifestyle if you have the opportunity to abandon it." Locke said with a smile.

1