Chapter 17
24 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"I have an opportunity for you. An opportunity to remake your life. Are you ready to take it?" Locke asked the fifteen men.

The fifteen men suddenly kneeled. Many of them were already almost at tears. Locke was a bit surprised, but soon realized that the men were desperate as well. Absconding criminals didn't exactly have it easy when it came to making a living honestly.

"Yes." The fifteen said in heartfelt unison.

"Very well. From today, the criminal records of you fifteen are expunged. You will pioneer the reconstruction of Herish Village. However, the terms will be different from the other villagers. Are you willing to accept?" Locke asked.

The others were surprised, but immediately nodded. Locke continued. "You will not live under a feudal system. Tax will not be charged based on portions of your cultivation of land. Instead, the Barony will pay you a salary of 5 silver a year. You will work hard and earn the salary based on whatever work is asked of you. You will be charged no taxes. Is that acceptable?" 

The fifteen were truly excited now. Five silver a year? With no taxes, that would easily allow them to save more than they ever had before. Most poor households survived on 1-2 silvers after taxes. But they had the choice of what they worked on. Instead, this choice will be in the hands of Locke.

---

The next day, posters began to be set up across Town Mith. Herish Village was being rebuilt! Well, a lot of the poor houses were still there, but the Barony was explicitly trying to revive the town. 

Many heard that administrator Locke had taken personal responsibility of the project. Rumors abounded that he felt guilty for not being able to bring those villagers justice. 

Soon however, a bigger bombshell spread through the town's rumor circle. The temple of the Sun would be moving its headquarters to Herish Village and offer it's complete protection to help the village grow. And then, the most explosive news of them all.

"It can't be true, right?"

"Has the Barony gone crazy?"

"It has to be fake!"

However, the peanut gallery soon realized that it was true! Anyone who lived in Herish Village would have to pay no taxes! Ever!

Locke, meanwhile, was smiling at a servant. "You did a good job spreading the news." 

The servant bowed respectfully and took his leave.

The priest, Father Molard had asked for an audience with Locke. The priest was quickly led to Locke's study on his request. The Father had brought along a skinny man with sunken eyes along with him.

"May the Sun shine it's blessings, Father Molard." Locke said gracefully.

"May it shine on you as well." Molard replied with a smile. Then he patted the shoulder of the man beside him. "This is Bescoff, a devout servant of our temple. He has some talent in construction. He helped build our spire in the town and will help us relocate the temple to Herish Village."

Locke's eyes shined. He turned to Bescoff. "I noticed that the Sun Temple is built using bricks. Is that your work?"

Bescoff nodded proudly. "I am indeed a brick worker."

Locke nodded. "Will you be willing to turn Herish Village into a village made of bricks instead of wood and thatch for 5 silver a year? We have a manpower of 15 workers right now."

"Fifteen is a bit too few, but I will use them to the best of my will." Bescoff nodded. He had already been instructed by the priest to accept any demand this Locke made, but the five silvers were truly a luxurious salary.

"Isn't five silvers above what you can tolerate?" Father Molard asked.

Locke sighed. "We can only cut costs elsewhere. The Barony is in desperate straits right now. I am betting on the rebuilding of Herish Village to become a success."

That day, thanks to the decision of the Temple of the Sun to move, information had spread all over the County. Herish Village was being rebuild in a bold way. No taxes, a haven for merchants and traders!

Such was the talk among the masses. The other Barons simply scoffed at this news. Baron Mith had slaughtered his own village and now desperately trying to rebuild it. They thought it was a foolish endeavour.

Many in the other five villages and the town of Barony Mith were jealous of the high salary and no tax requirement. But as the days passed, they saw that the work was quite hard as well. Nevertheless, agriculture was not a very efficient workplace. Many farms had more people than they needed to work on them. This made for many villagers signing up for the jobs.

Most of these workers would commute daily to Herish Village, work hard on building bricks and remaking houses. Bescoff was not just talented in brick working, but a good architect as well. On Locke's orders, he built a plan to remake the entire village into a brick built town. With the temple's protection, wild beasts and bandits stayed away.

Meanwhile, Trive was busy in the Viscount's mansion. He had arrived early on and was working hard to befriend August Bilary. Initially, the Guardian Knight looked down on Trive for being weak,but the two soon bonded over alcohol. Eventually, Trive did have to end up using the maid Locke had sent with him.

"You're a good man, Trive." August said the day before the grand celebration. "Tell me, what's bothering you?"

Trive was not an idiot either. He had been practicing being contemplative to entice this Grand Knight in this very manner. 

"You must have heard about the terrible events befallen our humble Barony, master August. Our guards were slaughtered, criminals are lose and we have no strength to protect a territory that is under your rightful control!" Trive said emotionally.

"Haha, this sounds like a challenge suitable for a Grand Knight, don't you think? Ofcourse, as a responsible heir, I must protect my territory from instability! Don't worry, me and my men will pay a visit to your Barony after the banquet and secure it from the villains!" August boasted.

Trive sneered. He had actually succeeded quite easily! "Yes, yes! We don't lack servants in our Mansion either." He whispered.

"Hahaha, you catch my drift very well, Trive! Let's cheer to our friendship!" August laughed.

1