Chapter 31
24 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Even after the elder's words, Locke and Ghost made their way to the mountain at night. After a night of searching and finding nothing Locke was sure that the three brothers had probably obtained some Legacy here.

Locke wasn't particularly disheartened. "Even I had found it before, I might not have satisfied the requirements to obtain this Legacy." He said to himself. 

The condition was in the name itself. Legacy. For something that remained in the wild for so long, the conditions to obtain it must have been spectacularly restrictive. Perhaps, this legacy actually required three people, or even more narrowly three brothers or some similarly restrictive condition.

Just as the sun was beginning to rise and Locke was deciding to return to the Mansion, he felt Ghost tug at his robe.

"What's wrong Ghost?" He asked.

"There's something there." Ghost pointed towards a tree. The tree's trunk was completely black and its leaves were brown as well. However, the most absurd bit was the bizarre shape on the trunk that looked like a poorly formed face of a real ghost.

Locke was cautious, but he had some trust in Ghost's strength. The two carefully made their way to the tree. As they came closer, Locke could hear a long wailing sound.

Locke was unfazed by the wailing, but he was confused. Did the three brothers not pick up the Legacy? Or did he come across some other phenomenon.

"Why are you crying?" Ghost directly asked the tree.

Without warning, the wailing stopped. Locke saw that the horrifying face on the trunk was actually slowly moving.

"Who would have thought I'd meet a fellow being?" The sound of an old man echoed out.

"Who are you refering to?" Locke asked suspiciously.

"Both of you." The old man wailed in a catatonic voice. "One can't escape death and the other can't reach death. Truly an interesting pair. It must be one of Zabian's dirty games."

"Zabian? Could it be the name of a Dragon?" Locke asked perceptively.

The old man began to hoot in laughter. "I don't know what that bastard is. But he definitely isn't a dragon!" The voice suddenly turned into a girl's. "Did you come for my legacy? I already gave it away to three brothers. Only three close minds could inherit my legacy." 

The voice changed into a third one. It was a young boy. "Hehe, our's is a powerful legacy. You better not make enemies with those brothers."

"So you are actually three people?" Locke asked.

"Yes." All three, old man, lady and young boy said together. "If you want to know, the legacy involves sharing the senses. Instead one, you have the combined learning abilities of three fused together. With enough practice, even a bastard like Zabian can be slaughtered." The old man continued.

"Eh, don't exaggerate." The lady said. "Yeah, yeah. Old badger's off his rocker. Beating Zabian?" The kid added.

"Isn't the curse on myself and Ghost a Dragon's magic?" Locke asked. That was what Beluriel had said.

"This boy is right old codger. Did you lie about Zabian not being a dragon?" The kid said.

"Shut up you idiot!" The old man scolded his counterparts. "Who said only Dragons can use Dragon magic?"

"Oh, right." The lady agreed. "But how are you so sure it is Zabian?"

"Who else would bind a dead soul to a living human by a death string?" The old man was roaring now. "Why am I stuck with such dumb kids!" He began crying.

Locke grasped onto each word carefully while ignoring the banter of the three voices. So Ghost was really dead? And she was bound to him by some powerful dragon's magic performed by a character called Zabian. However, this brought out even more shocking revelations.

"You must have been here for a long time right?" Locke suddenly interrupted their argument.

"Two thousand cycles." The three said simultaneously, distracted from their verbal collision by Locke's question.

"Then this Zabian is more than two thousand years old? How is that possible?" Locke asked the crucial question.

At this, the three fell silent. Eventually the kid spoke. "There is definitely something wrong with that bastard..."

"If your legacy is gone, why are you three still here?" Locke decided not to ask more about this character. The more he heard about this Zabian, the more fearful he became.

"Uh, that. We forgot to tell those brothers to free us. Why don't you do that for us." The lady said.

"How?" Locke asked.

"Burn the tree." The old man said

"Are you sure?" Locke asked.

"Yes. Yes. Yes. I can't take this threesome anymore!" The old man screamed. The other two voices also agreed.

Locke nodded. But before he did that he still had a few questions. "How did you three turn into a tree though?"

"I can't remember. I think we died." The three said in unison. "Quick finish us off."

"Do you know anything about a soul poison? And Soulseekers?" Locke asked. These three were living here for a long time. May be they could help him out.

"Soul poison? Never heard of such a thing. But I have heard of Soulseekers." The young kid muttered rapidly.

"Didn't they have the soul temple in the mountains? I never understood why they would make their mountains high up on top of those desolate mounts." The lady said.

"I remember going to the temple once. Very difficult climb to Mount Kailash, I tell you. And those bastards were so rude. They kicked me out into the snow without food!"

"You must've been smelling as you do, old badger! Stop having so much potatoes!" The kid sneered.

Locke ignored their recurring argument. However, he grasped the key points. Mount Kailash. He didn't know of any mountain of this name, but he had a starting point.

"Should I do it?" Locke asked. He took out a match stick and grazed it against the ground. It immediately caught fire.

"Yes, please!" The three said in unison.

"Then...goodbye." Locke said as he flung the match onto the tree. It immediately caused the tree to violently catch fire.

The three voices slow began to dissipate. Soon the voices became incoherent and turned into wails that slowly dissipated away. The ttee completely burned to dust, leaving behind a black colored crystal.

1