Chapter 68: Tournament Day 1 (Part 10)
2.1k 7 82
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Oh shit this just got really dark. It's a bit of a sobering moment for Karen as she looks out upon the humans she once counted herself as and sees nothing. Ahem so we finally reached the end of Karen's battle and it was a bit of a bittersweet moment with some exciting moments just before we get to see the darker side of the tournament. I just hope Karen can recover from this... Anyway we also have someone from the past show up unexpectedly, why is he here and what exactly does he want? Just a reminder that the next chapter is on Patreon as always! You can also support me on PayPal if you can't afford monthly amounts! Please support me there if you enjoy my novel and can afford to do so! Thank you and enjoy the new chapter!


[RAAAAAAAAAH!] - Giant Fucking Flower

[Bring it you giant mulch pile!] - Karen

 

Not wanting to give my insistent urges any more time than necessary to overcome my resistance I decided to take a more active role against the giant plant. Opting to charge forward, through the flailing vines, to land another hit against the giant flower. It was massive! Even with my increased size it was still nearly double my own height, although most of that was the stalk... The stalk?!?

 

[Ah! I got it! That's it's weak point!] - Karen

[RAAAAAGH!?!] - Giant Fucking Flower

 

Immediately deriding myself for not realizing that the giant plant in front of me had the same weaknesses as just an average plant I formed my fist into a slimy approximation of a blade before pausing slightly. Something was telling me I was doing this wrong, it was like my instincts were telling me there was another way. Even that insistent whisper in the back of my mind, not stopping it's assault, seemed to whisper of a different method?

 

[There!] - Karen

 

Training my sight on the intense feeling coming from a specific part of my opponent I realized that I could still feel a remnant of myself that I'd left behind, I was supposed to... use it somehow? DEVOUR! Shaking my head to clear that thought I vaguely realized that the Rafflasia had started approaching me, using my distraction to take the initiative back for itself. My mind, instead of reacting to it's threat, instead reached out to that piece of me, calling for it. Success!

 

[RAAAAAAAAAAH!] - Giant Fucking Flower

[W-What? What happened?!? What's going on?] - Karen

[AAAAAAH! WHAT DID YOU DO?!? IT BURNS! AHHHHH!] - Arbor

 

Coming out of my daze I realized that my opponent, once proudly standing tall and preparing to strike, was now writhing on the ground in pain, a large purplish bruise spreading from where I had seen my leftover slime. Shocked at the unexpected turn of events I quickly tried to understand what had happened only for my thoughts to be interrupted when the Dryad from before, who had sunk almost entirely into her tamed creature, suddenly was expelled from the Rafflasia in a shower of sticky looking nectar and what looked suspiciously like blood. Seeming desperate to escape whatever was happening to her plant she quickly crawled away only to start writhing in pain as well moments later, the same purple blotches appearing on her skin.

 

[I-I don't-] - Karen

[AHHHHHH! MAKE IT STOP! OH GODDESS I SURRENDER SO MAKE IT STOP!] - Arbor

[I-I don't know how! Oh god someone help! She needs help!!!] - Karen

 

Growing up in a fairly safe world I'd never gotten used to pain and death, not even those years in the wilderness had done more than a small change in mindset. Mostly because of the lack of non-human monsters and a bit because of the desperate situation I'd never really connected a fight with death. Suffice to say that seeing a person dying, here, in front of me, because of something I did was... terrifying. Because of this I immediately began to panic and call for help, even as the announcer called the match in my favor. Most of the crowd, used to previous tournaments, was seemingly unaffected by the state of pain her opponent was in, and cheered on her win with enthusiastic gusto. 

It was the first time in her life that Karen had ever thought of herself as separate from humanity when, as she looked out at the smiling and happy faces of the crowd around her, she saw almost no concern on the faces present and most of those that were concerned were of the non-human variety. None of them cared that the Dryad lady was dying. And in the backdrop of applause and revelry she lost that last piece that made her one of them.


[It's not your fault you know.] - Malaise

[...] - Karen

[She's right Karen, you told us what happened and it's not like you knew THAT would be the result.] - Rose

[...they cheered.] - Karen

 

After the fight between Karen and the Lady Arbor, Rose and her group had immediately rushed to check on the devastated slime girl. She'd been guided off the field by one of the attendants since she hadn't moved even after her win was announced and seeing that they knew something was wrong. Putting that with the unexpectedly brutal way she'd won Rose knew she was probably a wreck inside and unfortunately it wasn't like she didn't understand. She'd wept the first time she realized she killed someone, after piecing together her memories of that Social Gathering and remembering the thugs she'd slaughtered she'd cried herself to sleep. Something like that, it changed you. And while we didn't yet know whether the dryad lady was alive the guilt must have been eating Karen alive.

That's why her response was even more baffling.

 

[Huh?] - Rose

[They cheered! Those... Humans! They cheered for me! They cheered as Arbor lay dying! She was screaming Rose! She was begging for someone to stop it! B-But they... they just kept cheering... ...dammit.] - Karen

[I-I....] - Rose

[That's just how human's are.] - Veronica

[Huh?] Karen

[Human's are violent, self-serving, greedy creatures that ruin everything they touch and care nothing for the suffering of other races.] - Veronica

[Ver...] - Malaise

[But! They are also compassionate and creative, loyal to their friends and willing to die for those they trust. ALL of that is what human's are. And if we're being honest, it's what all races are like. THAT's reality. And either you accept it and judge the individual rather than the race or... you decide that human's are not deserving of life. Which is it?] - Veronica

[I....? I can't blame them. I'm not GOING to blame them! I can no longer view myself as a human but I also am hesitant to just give up on them just like that. I- Who's there?!?] - Karen

 

Rose was even more confused when she heard what the problem was, it was like... Oh god Karen still thought of herself as human. Even as another race, looking at how callously the crowd had treated the loser of this round was chilling but over the years she'd basically accepted that she was separate from those same humans and while she didn't agree with their reaction it was more personal for Karen. Almost as if she'd continued to think of herself as one of them even with her body and mentality changed from her old form. Unfortunately knowing what was wrong and knowing how to fix it were completely separate issues, I'd accepted my body long ago and that I wasn't going back but Karen was different. She'd told me that she was sent here specifically to bring me back, that Master Lao Shi had sent her here for that purpose. That must have been the crutch that allowed her to hold onto her human identity and Rose had no idea how to help her, or if it was even right to do so. She may have abandoned her past self but was it right for her to push someone else to do the same?

It was as she hesitated, unsure on how to answer her best friend, that help came from an unexpected place. Veronica, a strong look in her gaze, immediately shut down Karen's wallowing, telling her to accept reality as it is instead of idealizing it as she had been. She took a hard stance, her words firm but Rose noticed the slight trembling of her fist as she did so, as if she was scared Karen would reject her and decide the unthinkable. This wasn't the reaction of someone new to this kind of argument, no, it was like she'd seen this before?

But before she could get any further in her thoughts suddenly they were interrupted by someone clapping as a male stepped out from the shadows unexpectedly.

 

[<clap clap clap> Bravo, what a rousing speech that was Lady Satania. I was nearly moved to tears. Truly.] - ???

[Who are you! Identify yourself!] - Rose

[Identity?!?] - Shade

[Oh my my, how sad it is to be forgotten and even after I went out of my way to introduce myself to such a... promising young lady. I told you I would be watching your exploits with great interest and I have not been disappointed.] - ???

[That way of speaking? ...you're that merchant, the one from my Celebration of Birth... Lo-ki?] - Rose

[Ding ding ding ding! I am overjoyed that you remembered my humble self, I am indeed the merchant Loki, at your service!] - Loki

 

Threatened by the unwelcome visitor as well as the strange sensation he was putting off I immediately bristled and assumed a stance just in case. Shade, however, reacted much more strongly than I did, throwing herself between the two of us while transforming her arms into blades in preparation. The man however, seemed non-plussed at the reaction and casually assumed a mock sad expression. That expression, as well as the way in which he held himself brought up the distant memory of a man she'd met years before, someone that had left a deep impression on her despite only meeting him once. Loki.

Congratulating her on her remembrance of him the flamboyant merchant gave a bow, introducing himself as if at a social event. All in all a completely inappropriate greeting for the situation, given how he barged in on them uninvited.

 

[And what, pray tell, are you at our service for?] - Rose

[...] - Everyone

[Oh why I'm here to provide the cure for the lovely Lady Arbor de la Lis. It seems she's been infected by some sort of mana-eating parasite and when I heard I just had to come and do my civic duty. Meeting you once more was just a happy accident.] - Loki

[Mana-Eating Parasite?] - Karen

[Oh yes, quite rare actually, and I've never seen this type before, it seems it was a fairly recent infection too. You... wouldn't happen to know anything about that would you?] - Loki

[I-I...] - Karen

[We don't. Now if you'll excuse us we need some privacy.] - Malaise

[Of course of course, that's completely understandable Lady Malaise. I wish you all a pleasant evening.] - Loki

[Young Miss it seems Lady Arbor will be fine, I guess a mercha- Who are you?!?] - Annabelle

[It's okay Annabelle, he was just leaving.] - Rose

 

Still on edge from the intense feeling of discomfort that was emanating off the man before them I asked his purpose here which was surprisingly indirectly involved with us through providing some kind of treatment for whatever Karen had accidently done to the poor Dryad. Of course what he followed up with was both mildly upsetting but expected, Logic himself had chimed in that Karen's slime was acting as a disease most likely so Rose was expecting something along those lines.

Karen however was devastated by the new information, pretty much solidifying her new dangerous ability in her mind. Luckily Malaise saw the issue as soon as I did and stepped forward to drop the conversation immediately, while we could discuss that sort of thing as a group it was definitely not something we wanted to spread around if possible. The image stones weren't clear enough to show what exactly was happening to everyone in the stands and it was unlikely the Tournament facility would spread that sort of thing around willingly.

It was at exactly this time that her personal maid, Annabelle, finally returned with news about Lady Arbor. I'd sent her out to keep an eye on the sickly Dryad while we comforted Karen. Annabelle, initially entering in report mode, immediately transitioned into a combat stance at the sight of an unknown intruder but she slightly eased up upon my words to let him pass. I'd been seeing her aggressive side more and more recently now that I thought about it. Now to deal with a much larger problem on hand, the depressed and muttering slime girl.

 

[A parasite. I'm a parasite. Discarded my humanity. And now I'm a tape worm.] - Karen

[Karen! You are yourself! No one else! Human or not you are only you! So what if you found out a new ability you have! You just need to practice so this doesn't happen again!] - Rose

[Practice?] - Karen

[That's right! Aren't you the Queen of the Ring?!? You used to run me ragged during drills right?!? Where's that Karen now?!? Are you just gonna give up because your body has a few more quirks than you expected?] - Rose

[Huh...? Give... up?] - Karen

[Yeah are you just gonna be like those weak men you used to complain about and throw in the towel or are you gonna get control over this thing and grab it by the balls?!?] - Rose

[N-No!] - Karen

[That's right! Now tell me why you're gonna pull through this!] - Rose

[Because I'm a motherfucking badass!] - Karen

[That's right and- mmmmmph!] - Rose

[Oh shit sorry! I just- well you just looked so cute cheering me on and... uh... nevermind.] - Karen

 

Hearing her mumbling to herself about being a tape worm I decided to use a tactic I'd used on her once before when she was down in the dumps about a ex-girlfriend that left her for some dickhead ex-boyfriend. Despite my best friend being one of the smartest women I knew she was, at her core, a bit of a meathead. She was always the type to get excited from sports films and half-time talks during our previous life and I knew my maneuvering had succeeded when her dull eyes glimmered with life once more. Groaning internally at the looks of wonder and shock on the faces of my friends and maid I pushed forward and doubled down on my pep talk strategy regardless of my own embarrassment.

Which is when she surprised me. I was getting into my motivational speech, really in the zone as it were, and Karen was finally showing a bit of her old self. Acting more and more excited. Which is why I wasn't expecting to be interrupted by a full-body French kiss. Seemingly surprised with herself as well Karen immediately broke off her deep exploration of my mouth with a blush, stammering out an explanation that I barely registered as my mind was dazed by the suddenness of the situation. It wasn't until Annabelle cleared her throat that I snapped back to reality.

 

[Ahem! I hate to interrupt you two lovebirds but I wanted to let you know of Lady Lis' condition.] - Annabelle

[Aha! R-Right.... Yeah.] - Rose


[So what did you think of that match Queen Laura?] - King Nero

[Oh? It was quite illuminating actually. You know that slime is actually a friend of my niece? I'm quite reassured that she seems to be well-protected.] - Queen Laura

[Quite right, I always find myself infinitely concerned about the safety of my own children.] - King Nero

[Understandable, luckily my own child has the benefit of being Dragon-kin so I have never found it necessary to worry too much for his safety. Unfortunately it seems my logical mind has little to do with it and I still find myself worried from time to time.] - Queen Laura

[Ah yes, I've heard of your boy's exploit's. Arlen is his name right? Quite rare to be directly related to a Primeval Dragon, but you have not one but two in your family. Quite the envious situation you find yourself in.] - King Nero

[Yes yes, I find myself to be blessed with many miraculous events in my life. I assume you don't speak of jealousy from within?] - Queen Laura

[Unfortunately I do, <snaps fingers> here, as a gesture of goodwill and thanks for your help in the current... crisis.] - King Nero

[You have my gratitude, to our continued friendship.] - Queen Laura

[To our continued friendship.] - King Nero

 

To anyone looking at this exchange from the outside it would have seemed the norm for interactions between two heads of state, lot's of political maneuvering, little actually said and secrets on both sides. But this was all just an act for those lookers-on, one that was especially designed to throw off any inkling that they were aware of the coming attempt on their lives. Their retinue of body guards, loyal to the last, were ordered to slacken their vigilance to allow for more spies to see their actions up close and even the exchange of information in full view of those eyes was a calculated move specifically designed to illustrate their unpreparedness. Luckily the both of them were extremely skilled at hiding their true intentions from anyone watching and no one suspected the entire thing to be an act. Thus the two of them fulfilled their part of the plan.


Announcement
Shameless Request incoming! Please remember to like my chapters and be sure to rate my novel or even review if you can so we can push my novel to a wider audience! Thank you! Oh and be sure to follow me for instant updates on chapter's dropping! NOT a Yandere Imouto Demands it! Oniichan has set up a Discord that we want to become much larger, we discuss this novel as well as sharing our interests and Monster Girl meme's. Click Here to Join! Or Else!
82