Chapter 110: Guardian of the Eryx Hot Springs
925 2 36
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
So you may have caught that the Guardian that will be giving a trial to Rose has been mentioned previously. Originally I actually wasn't exactly sure how I would introduce Undine since I'd actually planned on her being a part of the story since I'd initially though up the concept. Introducing her as the Spirit of the Hot Springs actually makes a lot of sense in the established lore I've been building up and when I was giving this entire plotline a bit more thought over the last few months the idea of using her to introduce a race that is probably one of my favorites greatly appealed to me.

A note on my writing style. So I actually have a general idea of how I want my story to go all the way up to the end with more complete details on specific events that I'm working towards. As I make my way through the story I get a clearer idea of the details of the next few chapters and, depending on the thought put in, will even plan out the entire arc. For instance the coming arc, The War Arc. Except for a few details that I'm still mulling over in my mind I've basically solidified most of what will be written when I reach it. Oh and I've thought of a name for the previous two arcs, pretty obvious names though now that I think of it. They are, The Birth and Prologue Arc as well as The Tournament Arc. Whenever I get around to making physical copies of my book those will most likely be their own separate books. Oh and at that time I plan on having an illustrator actually add in some manga pages throughout on top of doing a major rewrite to catch up my earlier chapters to the writing style I've developed over the last over a year.

Just a reminder that the next chapter is on Patreon as always! You can also support me on PayPal if you can't afford monthly amounts! Please support me there if you enjoy my novel and can afford to do so! Thank you and enjoy the new chapter!


- Arachne Hidden Village, Riyuegu Xiamen Hot Springs Fountain - Rose's POV -

Nervousness suffused my entire being as I made my way towards the steaming pool behind the massive mansion we were in. The layout putting the pool in the distance as the most important feature as the various buildings of the compound circled it. 

The last hour had been one of discomfort. Separated from my friends, I'd been taken to what I was told was a holy bath created to prepare for the coming ritual. Supposedly the waters were meant to cleanse me of any impurities that may ignite the Guardian's wrath. If this were my previous world I may have taken those words as merely superstition and moved on but because of the existence of beings like my Grampa I couldn't discount angry Guardians off-hand. My family's god that I'd only briefly visited a shrine of as a child, had apparently been known to contact her followers directly and even to help them in times of need. Father had even confirmed her existence himself when I'd asked so I was sure that things like God's definitely existed at least.

The bath that followed was, unpleasant, to say the least. Roughly scrubbing my skin nearly raw, the Arachne maids basically manhandled me into the traditional outfit that was used during the ritual. Looking similar to a Cheongsam from my previous world, it was modified heavily to give large-bodied races complete coverage despite the difference in body types. Unfortunately this one had been modified for Arachne specifically so I was left with a long slit of visible thigh down either side of my body. It had obviously been meant to deal with the spider thorax lower half of Arachne and the added exposure tinged my cheeks with crimson as I barely held myself back from calling off the entire thing.

No matter what we needed a safe place to rest for the night however so I pulled through and after doing a once over I was given the go ahead by the attending maids.

 

[Listen close Girl, when you approach the pool you must lower your head to the water's edge and give prayer to the Spirit of the Water, when she accepts enter the pool and await the trial. Our Guardian will personally administer it for all to see.] - Head Priestess Lao Ji Si

[A-And this is not dangerous?] - Rose

[Our young have been participating in this ritual since before the Fall, you'll be as safe as they are. Zhan Shi? Guide her then join the rest of us.] - Head Priestess Lao Ji Si

[Understood Head Priestess. Please follow me Honored Guest.] - Zhan Shi

[O-Okay.] - Rose


- Arachne Hidden Village, Riyuegu Xiamen Hot Springs Fountain - Rose's POV -

[I give thanks to the Spirit of Water and ask that she administer the trial so that I may seek shelter from these fine folk. A-Ahem.] - Rose

[...enter the water.] - ???

[W-Wha?!?] - Rose

 

Pressing my head against the warm stone at the edge of the lapping hot springs water was a strange feeling. Back in my old world I'd never been the religious type, being in my situation had soured the whole concept to be honest, and as such I didn't have much experience with God's of any kind. My experience in this life was a bit higher but even then it was mostly only a few visits as a child as Lamia were generally not that openly religious. The way Momma had explained it our religion was woven into everything we did rather than the kind of thing we needed to make a public spectacle of. Apparently this lack of religious fervor was one of the things that the Church of Light took exception to since they themselves made quite a show of the whole thing. Regardless though I figured that speaking as politely as I could while being clear of my reasons was probably a good idea since I didn't want to be caught lying to what was probably at least connected with a God at the very least. None of the Arachne had been completely keen on explaining what exactly this Guardian was so I hoped my assumption was the right way to go.

Despite all of this preparation I was still surprised when a voice boomed out of nowhere from all around me however. Jumping in shock as I looked around for the source of the sound I noticed the Head Priestess giving me a nod as if telling me to follow the instructions. Nearby to her, strategically surrounded by several armed, white robed Arachne, was my own group with Karen and the rest looking increasingly nervous while Annabelle lightly fingered the hilt of what looked like a sheathed dagger. The fact that she had a weapon when she was able to summon one whenever she wanted was most likely an implied threat to the surrounding warriors.

 

[O-Okay...] - Rose

 

Slowly slithering into the pool of near-boiling water I braced myself for the pain that would come with it only to be mildly surprised when I felt nothing but a pleasant warmth. The only indication that the water was warmer than it felt being the large amount of steam that billowed around me as my surroundings faded into white.


- Arachne Hidden Village, Riyuegu Xiamen Hot Springs Fountain - ???'s POV -

It had been centuries since I'd had a visitor besides the Arachne that worshiped me. In that time I'd seen multiple Warlords come and go as they attempted to unite the Arachne once more, each of them falling as fate decreed that it was not yet time. I was waiting. For what I didn't know. It had been over 3,000 years since that man had told me that someone would come to take my wards back into the light and in that time I'd completely forgotten his face but I knew he was telling the truth and until that time I would continue to protect my children from outside danger no matter what. Even if it meant providing a boon to the greedy dwarves downstream.

 

[Hmm? A stranger kneels at the waters edge? Snake?] - ???

[Come forward and enter the water.] - ???

 

Watching as the young girl that was paying her respects jumped at my voice I smirked briefly, apparently the current Head Priestess was a bit of a prankster by not informing the trial-seeker of what to expect. No matter I'd do as I always had and test all comers for their worthiness. I'd figure out later why someone other than an Arachne had approached.


- Arachne Hidden Village, Riyuegu Xiamen Hot Springs Fountain - Rose's POV -

Slowly making my way ever forward I was surprised at how far the pool seemed to stretch, the distance had seemed like much less from outside it yet I still had not reached the center point next to which a algae covered stone peeked above the water that I'd been told was the goal. Regardless I continued onward, determination for my party pushing me to move forward.

 

[Halt Dark One! Go no further in this sacred place!] - ???

[D-Dark One?!? Me?!?] - Rose

[Yes you! Why has this era's Demon Lord dared to intrude upon my realm? Do you desire death?] - ???

 

Suddenly the same voice as before boomed forth from the steam surrounding me, the tone noticeably colder and filled with rage. Realizing from her words that my presence was unwanted I briefly considered that I'd been tricked but the voice's next words dashed that belief.

 

[D-Demon Lord? Wait I can explain-] - Rose

[No explanations will be accepted! Waste away in a prison of your own making!] - ???

 

At the voice's words a massive head of a Lion burst through the steam as it's enormous mouth swallowed me. The blue of it's maw filled my vision as my last thoughts were of how similar it looked to a Chinese Dragon.


Announcement
Shameless Request incoming! Please remember to like my chapters and be sure to rate my novel or even review if you can so we can push my novel to a wider audience! Thank you! Oh and be sure to follow me for instant updates on chapter's dropping! NOT a Yandere Imouto Demands it! Oniichan has set up a Discord that we want to become much larger, we discuss this novel as well as sharing our interests and Monster Girl meme's. Click Here to Join! Or Else!
36