Chapter 137: Love’s Loss, or is it Gain?
710 0 24
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
I went into this chapter intending to bring back Love in a chapter once more as well as introduce a side plot to the arc in the form of Rose being trained to actually defend herself from outside attacks. Rose doesn't remember the attack by the Faceless so her only loss by incursion that she knows about is Undine, hence her confusion in the chapter. Since she thinks she's only been mentally attacked that one time she's under the impression that it's a lot less urgent than it actually is, especially since it's been quite a while since that event. So, as far as she knows, this defense training by Love is pretty much out of the blue. She too terrified of the demon to actually call him out on it though, so we get a confused acceptance rather than any real pushback. I mean what kind of resistance can you really give to a multi-billion-year-old demon that literally makes jokes about obliterating a planet?  Anyway enjoy!

Just a reminder that the next chapter is on Patreon as always! You can also support me on PayPal if you can't afford monthly amounts! Please support me there if you enjoy my novel and can afford to do so! Thank you and enjoy the new chapter!


 - The Place Between, Palace of the Goddess of Mercy Rose, That Night - Rose's POV –

The rest of the day went by without much fanfare. Well except for meeting yet another ruler of a country. Although technically in this case it was more a joint ruler since the party involved was part of an elected Council. More a parliamentary than anything else to be honest. Although I’d been told by Ein, while we were on our way to the Image Stone, that her Aunt was apparently the longest serving Councilperson in history. She’d been reelected every cycle for the last 30 years because of overwhelming support from her constituents. Effectively she was the leading voice of the Gnomish Council even if ostensibly each vote was more or less equal.

Anyway, after getting through to Auntie Laura, I’d been even more surprised to find that she was already on the line with Councilwoman Gorvi. I’d expected to be late of course but the thought that they were still on the call and that I’d suddenly be meeting another important political figure hadn’t crossed my mind whatsoever. It was to the point that I was somewhat convinced that she’d done that on purpose, most likely in her bid to normalize my interactions with various politicians. It seemed fairly obvious, in hindsight, that while she hadn’t gotten an answer from me, she fully expected me to agree in the end so was doing everything she could to push me that way. I wonder how she’d react when she learns that I was seriously pursuing a Slimegirl? Although now that I thought of it most isekai situations turned into harems? That seemed really hard to maintain without whitewashing everyone’s personality and turning them into character tropes to be honest. Real life harems sounded hard…

Getting back on topic I’d been briefed on the updated deal, which sounded much more tame than I had expected, as well as the decision on how to punish Ein being left to me. Since it was the perfect opportunity, I decided to set Ein as my permanent observer rather than leaving it to an entire team. I was sure that the information gathered would be shared of course but better to leave the one interacting with me as someone I both somewhat knew and could stand to talk to. The gleam in Ein’s eye (heh…) told me all I needed to know about what she thought of this “punishment”. The sincere appreciation from Councilwoman Gorvi was a bit much though. Even more the proud look of one that’s gotten away with something slightly naughty on my Aunt’s face nearly made me facepalm right there.

So, after bidding both my Aunt and the Councilwoman goodbye, I went ahead and finished up the school day. With Ein nearly attached at the hip as she seemed to still be trying to figure out the correct distance to be from her new subject of interest, me.

 

[I’ve been told to start training you on strengthening your mind against assaults. Your grandfather originally intended to start your training after he picked you up but recent… events, have considerably sped up the need for you to be able to defend yourself at least somewhat from incursion.] – Love

[Huh, I see?] – Rose

[So why the hell am I here?!?] – Wrath

[I believe you are here for the same reason that I am. If my guess is correct as “permanent” residents of the Goddess’ Inner World, we’ll be more or less the commanders of her mental reserve?] – Logic

[…] – Love

[Well? Was he correct?] – Rose

[Hah? I wasn’t listening. A weaklings feeble-minded guesses mean nothing to me, neither does the barking of a weak dog.] – Love

[Feeble-minded?!? Barking?!? The hell you on about?!? I’ll kill you basta- Hmamam! MMMmmm!] – Wrath

[Quiet! A-Ahem so why ARE Logic and Wrath here?] – Rose

[Oh? Well, they’ll be the main forces in your resistance to incursions. Although for now they are weak as you grow so will they and even more so if they work on increasing their own strength separately on top of that.] – Love

 

Of course, Wrath wouldn’t get along with Love. She’s literally an incarnation of anger, although that anger is normally directed at myself it makes complete sense for her to also lash out at everyone that pissed her off. Her muffled screams and angrily twitching tail when I picked her off the ground to silence her before she antagonized a literal full-blown demon would have been cute if it hadn’t been at the threat of literally being erased from existence. Of course, I didn’t remind Love that his answer to my question was nearly word for word what Logic had said not a minute before. I’d only barely received his acceptance and trying my best to ruin that seemed a bad idea.

Of course, none of this had been what I’d thought would happen when I went to bed this evening. After catching Karen and the rest of my group up on what had happened after I’d been accosted by a certain nerdy loli. They’d all already heard the rumors of my supposed kidnapping of the first year of course and the teasing from Karen and Veronica had been merciless but when I explained the situation, they’d lai- actually no they’d just kept going. The fact that said kidnapped loli would now be a regular face around me had only spurred on their teasing and after a while of trying to explain myself I’d gone to bed in a huff. Although none of the other party had really thought I was actually angry so all I’d done was cause a round of muffled giggles.

The next thing I knew after entering dreamland I was pulled into my Inner World by force. Not meaning to enter the Place Between I’d been a bit surprised to find myself in a Palace Garden that seemed to be getting more and more elaborate each time I came here, it seemed that Logic was guiding my incoming energy well? Anyway, I didn’t get much time to think about that before I was forcibly whisked away to a large antechamber by a terrifying demon. One in which both Logic and Wrath were waiting for me, the latter being much more impatient and reluctant to be there than the former.

 

[Wait, are you saying that they can grow their own strength without any input from me?] – Rose

[Well, they’re limited to an extent since they reside in a representation of your existence but effectively yes. This even applies to non-aware entities within your Inner World. Technically all “individuals” within this space contribute in some way to your ability. Although it may be… minor, in some cases.] – Love

[Minor?!? I’ll show you minor you puffed up, overgr- MmmmMmmm! MhammMmmm! Stop doing that!] – Wrath

 

The pointed look that Love gave both of my Aspects once again set off my loli counterpart, her angry screams muffled by my much larger frame. The look of sadistic amusement on Love’s face cementing in my mind that he was antagonizing her on purpose. Maybe her angry demeanor reminded him of a cute animal that he used to torture or something horrifying like that.

 

[Moving on from that annoying barking I’ll drill the basics of mental defense into the three of you. After that it’s up to you to master it. As far as the rest of your… “subjects” that’ll be your responsibility. I was only instructed to train the three of you enough that you wouldn’t die before My Lord made it here. Don’t disappoint me.] – Love

[E-Eep!] – Rose

 

The intensity of his gaze nearly made me wet myself as I could see the horror in store for us in the reflection of his sadistic eyes. To my credit though I kept myself dry, although I wasn’t sure if that was because I wasn’t capable of wetting myself here or if it was a credit to my willpower. I’ll assume the latter for peace of mind.


- Abelis Academy City, Homeroom, Next Day - Rose's POV –

[Haaaaah! So tired…] – Rose

 

Yawning for what felt like the hundredth time that day I though back to the previous night. After being pulled into my Inner World what had followed was the most intense training I’d ever experienced, which was saying something since I survived Master Gil’s training arc! Funny enough my two Aspect’s training had been slightly conventional, they were only fighting against mirror images of Love after all. The effect of said training on me however, had been a lot more severe. Using his own power Love had forcibly taken control of the room that we were in, and my training was to attempt to retake control. The worst part? I’d been given minimal instruction on how to actually do this! When I’d asked for a hint, all Love had said was to figure it out for myself! Like what the hell was I supposed to do with that sort of answer?!?

Somehow though after going at it for several hours I’d managed to begin pushing Love back, mostly through intuition, and even began to think that I’d be able to pass the first stage of his training. This had, in hindsight, been an extreme overestimate of my ability. One that he’d been all too happy to illustrate by suddenly expanding his sphere of influence instantly knocking my two Aspects unconscious. The last thing I’d heard before I also lost consciousness was something about continuing next week so I had at least a week to recover. Although that didn’t help the extreme drowsiness now…

 

[Haaaaaaaaaah!] – Rose

[Is my class that boring to you? Maybe you’d be more attentive in a one-on-one setting rather than with the rest of the class?] – Lolianne

[Hiiii! Please no! I’ll pay attention I’ll pay attention!] – Rose

[Good. Now as I was saying-] – Lolianne

 

Unfortunately for me my yawning had attracted the attention of a certain legal loli with an irritated glint in her eyes. The terrifying suggestion to have extra lessons with her brought to mind the horrifying rumors I’d heard the year before about dead-eyed seniors leaving her extra classes never acting up again. I definitely had no interest in seeing if those rumors were true, especially after my long night and the prospect of a repeat next week.

Seemingly satisfied with my answer the small teacher turned to cutely waddle back to the front of the class. Her small size making her look like a young girl desperately trying to act like an adult. Although the knowledge of her true nature made the entire thing all the more terrifying.

 

[Hey, what’s wrong? Are you okay? You’ve been yawning all day even though you slept?] – Karen

[Did you get enough rest? If you wish Lady Rose, you can use the incredible Me’s thighs to sleep!] - Argent

[…tired?] – Shade

[Did a certain horny slime wake you up for some ha- Ow!] – Veronica

[Quiet! Unless you want the teacher to come back here! Anyway, are you okay?] – Malaise

[I’m fine, I just had a long night in my Inner World. That demon you guys met in the Arachne city? Well, he’s training me to stop another thing like what Undine did from happening. It was… difficult. I’m sure I’ll be fine after a bit of rest though.] – Rose

[Tch! No fair! I want to be inside Rose too! Why does he get to have all the fun?!?] – Karen

[I-I-Inside?!? <blush>] - Argent

[K-K-Karen?!?] – Rose

[Phrasing! Heh, OW! Why?!?] – Veronica

[Quiet! Do you really want to attract that demon tea-] – Malaise

[Oh, I think it’s a bit too late for that you 6. Extra classes for all of you. THIS demon teacher will see you all after school. Make sure to get there on time. Or else.] – Lolianne

 

Dread filled our rapidly paling faces as the subject of our fear appeared before us like a rider of the apocalypse. I hadn’t realized it, but we’d apparently been being fairly loud, and the entire class was staring at our antics. The laughs that ran through the room after hearing the pronouncement of our execution only made our already pale face even more pale. The shout of encouragement from Ogi only made things worse, as did the shy glances of Urz who hadn’t managed to get a seat next to ours and thus hadn’t been dragged into our punishment. Small victories I guess, although not for us though…


Announcement
Shameless Request incoming! Please remember to like my chapters and be sure to rate my novel or even review if you can so we can push my novel to a wider audience! Thank you! Oh, and be sure to follow me for instant updates on chapter's dropping! NOT a Yandere Imouto Demands it! Oniichan has set up a Discord that we want to become much larger, we discuss this novel as well as sharing our interests and Monster Girl meme's. Click Here to Join! Or Else!
24