Chapter 9 – Nameless Island
122 1 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Okay! Listen to me, you're going to divide into three groups!"

Sid and the ex-slaves were now at their designated island. They arrived after flying there for just a short time.

Overall, the trip took around an hour since they flew there really quick. If they had taken a boat, it would've taken more than 3 days, and that's without counting any obstacles on the way.

He was quite thankful to himself for the decision to making a transport ship, the spaceship kind of course, not the boat kind. And to think that he almost used the rugged pirate ship thay was left behind.

"Umm, what exactly are we doing?"

"I will explain as we go through the plan."

"So what's the plan?"

"Max, just be quiet for a moment, okay? I can't exactly start explaining the plan, if you keep pestering me."

Max rolled his eyes on that. He was still Sid's close friend, so he wasn't acting as formal as the others were. Even Sid's other friends were treating Sid with respect.

But not Max, although he knew Sid had become different, Sid was still the pompous friend he had. 

Who knew that only a couple days of them chit-chatting together returned the bond they had lost. 

Well, minus the fact that he was being treated as free labour by Sid, he knew that Sid had also worked hard for them to plan the whole thing. 

So he was more or less paying the favour back to Sid.

"Okay! As I was saying before, you are to divide into three groups!"

The people nodded as he continued speaking.

"Group 1 will act as the food gatherers, you guys are going to gather whatever fruits and vegetables you find. And when you do find them, pile it on top of this platform."

He pointed at a wooden platform as wide as a king-sized bed.

"Group 2 will act as resource gatherers, and by resource, I mean building materials. Just bring in wood, stones, and sand! Now before you guys do that, I had T reconstruct tools using the bladed weapons you guys used."

He then pointed at a plastic container filled with shovels, axes, and pickaxes.

"Last but not least, group 3. You guys are the most important group. You guys will be helping me as assistants. You will do whatever I need you to do, mainly as helpers."

The ex-slaves then fell into thought. Some of them felt like Sid was a bit too fast in deciding things, so one of the few who had the thought raised their hand.

'Oh? I haven't even asked if there were any questions and there's already someone raising their hand? Nice.'

"You there, what would you like to ask?"

"Yes, I have several questions."

"Go on then."

"First of all, how will we be divided into these three groups? Second of all, are the tasks of each group going to be applied immediately? Third of all, where will our current shelter be? And lastly, can I have some food? I'm very hungry right now."

"I will answer your questions accordingly. But first, what's your name?"

"My name is Grant Pendleton, you can call me Grant."

"Thank you for your questions, Grant. Now then, let's start the answering..."

And thus, a lengthy 10 minutes was spent on answering Grant's questions. But while Sid was giving his answers, he noticed that Grant had a set of horns sticking to his head. Using Sid's elven knowledge, he concluded that Grant was one of the demon races of the world.

The demon races were races that weren't part of the beastman, elves, humans, and dwarves. Although the demons have different kinds of races, they all had one thing in common, horns.

Sid had the thought of collecting and comparing the DNA between the different demon races, but he quickly pushed that thought to the back of his mind as he was nearing the end of his answering.

"....last but not least, you will be provided MREs to eat. What are MREs? Think of them as ready to eat meals."

Wondering how to eat the so-called "MREs", Max copied what Fey and Grant did, and raised his hand to ask his question.

This made Sid contemplate on having to teach every single modern thing that he's going to make them use. Let's pray for his sanity to remain intact.

***

Two days have passed since their landing on the nameless island.

It was going surprisingly well for them, given how Sid was pretty much inexperienced in leadership aside from his party leadership in the VRMMORPG he played.

He was also quite surprised that people were following his orders without that much complaint. He hypothesized that there were to possible causes.

The first one being that they were ex-slaves. And the second one being that he had an unexpected talent in leadership.

In the end, he concluded that it was probably a bit of both.

Now, you might be wondering how they were divided into the three groups, and it's quite simple.

Those who had superior physique, were put into group 2.

Those who had mediocre physique, but has had experience in dealing with plants, were put into group 1.

And finally, those who had an educated background, or were smart, were put into group 3.

That might be an oversimplification of the details of the qualifications, so there's obviously a lot of other stuff to put into consideration. 

But in the end, it all went off without a hitch. Well, mostly...

Though things were running smoothly according to plan, the groups were struggling on doing their tasks.

Group 1 had trouble with collecting the fruits and vegetables, as almost half of them were unknown to the world. But this didn't trouble Sid, as it turns out that they were the pre-domesticated versions of the fruit and vegetables of Earth.

Seeing as Gaia was an alternate and a less developed world than Earth, there were bound to be a lot of fruit and vegetables that were in the pre-domesticated, and that posed a lot of problems to the people of group 1.

They first tried to taste the fruits and vegetables, and when they tasted like they were inedible, they tossed them away.

This in turn, angered Sid, as he specifically told them to gather fruit and vegetables, and did not mention that they should throw them away if  they tasted horrible. 

He already expected most of these fruit and vegetables to be horrible when tasted, and was planning to get T to genetically modify them into their current equivalent on Earth.

Thus, he tasked the group to collect them anyway, no matter if they tasted horrible or not.

Thankfully, they did this part smoothly, and had soon gathered quite a lot of the pre-domesticated fruit and vegetables.

Group 2 on the other hand, had trouble with handling the tools Sid gave them. Although they knew how to use those tools, they were nevertheless, inexperienced with handling them.

And because most of them were still in their teens, they played around with the tools and ended up breaking most of them within the first day.

This made Sid scold them with an ear raping volume using his in-built exosuit microphone connected wirelessly to T's speaker system. 

It proved quite effective, as it made them shake in guilt.

After the scolding session, Sid reminded himself that technique was proven to be very useful for future use.

Group 3 on the other hand, was quite problematic. Sid had them rack their brains by teaching them the English language.

For Sid, it was quite funny to see them struggle learning a foreign language that they have never seen or heard before. 

He remembered the time when he was forced to learn the Someranian language in school.

On a serious note, them learning English had a grander purpose. He was going to teach them science.

Now, he could translate the scientific knowledge into Gaia's common tongue, but doing that would cause a lot of problems.

First of all, there were a lot of terms that were anglified in Earth's scientific studies. Biology, chemistry, physics, and mathematics had a lot of terms and expressions that were currently alien to Gaia's residents.

Second of all, translating them would take a tremendous amount of time. Even with the help of T, Sid would still need to translate the words one by one and put them into a T's database.

Last but not least, he didn't want to have the information leak so soon. He planned to build his own kingdom with the help of science, and he didn't want to have spies that would steal the knowledge so easily. 

Call it technological dictatorship, but that was his only advantage to the other kingdoms. 

He knew that the governments of each of the nations of Gaia would set their fangs into the juicy scientific knowledge which Sid had. 

That's why sticking to English would termendously be better, as it would be a very difficult task for the spies to learn English from scratch and not to mention the scientific terms and counterparts.

Since the day was currently their second day on the island, they were still learning the alphabets and the numerals. 

It was going to take a lot of time and effort, but it was definitely worth the trial.

Seeing as most of them were still students or were graduates, studying was normal for them. So they didn't complain at all, even though in their minds, it was an annoying and weird thing to do.

In their minds, they were supposed to be assistants, yet they were instead told to study an unknown language.

Well, the assistant part was true though. 

Sid planned them to start assisting him, once they had sufficient knowledge in science. But that would of course, take years to accomplish.

However, Sid has a lot of time in his hands, so he didn't have a problem with it.

With the groups focusing on their tasks, Sid began working on his next plan.

Which was to build a new settlement. He even imagined that it could become the capital of his kingdom. But that dream was still far away from reach.

He still needed a lot of things to be done before making his own capital city.

Now that he began planning for the new settlement, he had a lot of things to consider first.

The infrastructure, the settlement's power source, the water source, and most importantly, the people who are going to live there.

The ex-slaves that he had currently, were many, but they would not be enough to fill his planned settlement.

You see, he was planning to build a city. 

The nameless island was a huge island. It was comparable to the size of Ireland on Earth. 

Thus, the island was perfect to build his capital city.

And because of that, he planned to get more people working for him.

The people he had now, the ex-slaves, were of middle and upper origins. Meaning, they were not from poor families. 

It seems that the pirates who targeted them were greedy ones, not that pirates aren't greedy in the first place.

Alas, they didn't have a family anymore, and thus had Sid taking care of them.

Sid now had a great plan. He was going to storm pirate havens, and take away their slaves.

He thought to himself that it was reckless, but since he had an arsenal of advanced weapons on his hands, he didn't worry too much.

But there was a problem to this plan.

The problem was the fact that pirate havens were very elusive to find, so he needed to send the drones away again to scout for them.

Best case scenario, he would find one close to his current coordinates.

Worst case scenario, he would find nothing.

Those were the two extremes of the scenario. So the chance of getting the best scenario would be very low, and the chance of getting the worst scenario would be quite substantial.

So he thought of a middle ground.

Maybe, just maybe, he could hijack a pirate ship on the middle of a journey, and threaten them into leading Sid to their haven.

Now that he had the plan of action set on course, he sent his drones away.

These drones were of course piloted by T, as Sid couldn't have possibly manned all the drones he sent.

***

A mysterious object was watching the nameless island from space. It was running on mana, and it was more advanced than even Someranian technology.

This mysterious object was of course, a spaceship.

And a lone man, was inside of it.

"T, are you there?"

"Yes, young master."

"T, I think we found him."

"I know, I've been with you this whole time."

"I'm trying to sound cool, okay? No need to destroy my cool ass line."

"If someone else was beside you, young master, they would definitely cringe at those words."

"Tch! And for the thousandth time, stop calling me young master!"

"Hehe, I'm sorry young master."

"Grrrh."

6