Chapter 10 – Building a City From Scratch
351 4 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Day three just started on the nameless island, and Sid was at his busiest moment of the day.

The drones he sent were still looking for any pirate activities, and because there were no signs of pirates at the moment, he was focusing on the infrastructure plan of his new settlement.

'Let's see here. Ah yes, the water source. Let's just make a water treatment plant and also a wastewater treatment plant. Let's make them next to each other, so that it wouldn't get complicated later on. The water treatment plant can just suck up the ocean's water, filter it, and then the salt that would get separated cam be used for consumer use. That actually sounds great!'

He then drew some lines and 2 rectangles next to each other, and he labelled them as the water and wastewater treatment plants.

'Now let's move on to the next one, agriculture. Let's see, should I just make some simple crop farms first? Yeah, let's just do that. Then I could upgrade them into vertical farms, so the yield would be higher and the land area they cover would be effectively used. Oh yeah, I can also take advantage of the fact that the wastewater would have literal shit in it. I can filter the shit, and make actual fertilizers from them.'

"Hey T, do we have the technology that could turn shit into fertilizer?"

"YES CAPTAIN. BUT IT NEEDS TO BE OPERATED BY TRAINED PERSONNEL."

"True, that's an issue. Could you be the one to operate it?"

"YES CAPTAIN. BUT IT SHOULD BE FITTED WITH A COMPUTER FIRST, SO THAT I CAN OPERATE IT WITHOUT BEING DIRECTLY CONNECTED TO THE EXTRACTING DEVICE. BUT IN DOING SO, I WOULD HAVE TO CREATE A NEW PROGRAM IN MY SYSTEM AND SACRIFICE A CHUNK OF MY COMPUTING POWER TO OPERATE IT."

"So how much computing power could be sacrificed doing that?"

"A SMALL ONE WITH A SIZE OF A CHAIR WOULD REQUIRE 1% OF MY COMPUTING POWER."

"And what about a big one that could do it for an entire city worth of people's shit?"

"IT WOULD REQUIRE AROUND 40% TO 50% OF MY COMPUTING POWER."

"That much? Really? Okay, let's just do it this way. T, you would operate a not so big one in the beginning, and then the trained personnel would take over when there's too much to cover. So I guess I would also need to do this for every other facilities on the city. Can you remind me later to find them when it's the right moment to do so?"

"AFFIRMATIVE."

"Great, now I'm going to continue planning the infrastructure again. Notify me if there are any troubles going on in the groups with the surveillance drones that I told you to deploy this morning."

"AFFIRMATIVE."

***

After around half a day of planning, he succesfully planned the whole thing. It was quite ugly though, as he did it by scribbling it on his tablet. 

Since didn't have any prior experience on designing a city's infrastructure, he ordered T to make modifications to his design and perfect it.

It ended up looking like a professional's work, and he felt quite proud of it, though it was mostly just T's work.

He could've used a memory chip when designing, but he didn't want to get addicted to them, so he opted out of it.

The water and wastewater treatment plants would be situated near the beach, and the plumbing and sewage system would be built under the roads as usual.

The crop farms would be placed far away, on the grassy plains situated around 7 kilometres away from his current position, which was near the beach.

For the energy source, he planned to install advanced solar panels onto the facilities, and use advanced wind turbines to power everything else. He planned to later upgrade them and also use cold-fusion power plants.

For transportation, he planned to build modern roads first, specifically asphalt concrete roads. Roads were the key to boosting the travelling speed of anyone on land, and dirt roads were definitely inferior to modern asphalt concrete roads.

On a side note, he also planned to create bicycles for a start, to make people get used to using the modern roads.

On top of that, he also planned to build an airport in the future, since he planned to make other cities on the island and on other islands.

For the homes of the people, he planned to first create a suburban area with small to large houses. And if more people came and the houses weren't enough, he would start creating apartments.

He also planned to create entertainment areas and also commercial areas, but that would be far in the future, when things stabilize.

Unfortunately for him, not a single person on this world aside from him and T could build these things. 

And even if he imparted the knowledge to the ex-slaves, they wouldn't really do a good job considering their zero experience on the matter.

He started thinking about a lot of things that could help him build the city faster.

First, he could use a memory chip to easily get the knowledge and experience needed to do the construction. 

Then, he could work with T in creating construction robots and T could operate them from far away.

***

Not much time has passed since he finalized his city building plans.

While he was fiddling with his tablet on the inside of his ship, his friend Max called to him.

"Hey Sid!!! Come check this out!!!"

"Huh? What? I'm busy, can't you see?"

"Doesn't matter!! You need to see this, it's urgent!!!"

Sid, thinking that Max was up to something stupid, instantly rejected him.

"Nope, I'm good. I'll only go if there's an emergency."

"But this IS an emergency!!"

Realizing that Max wasn't up to something stupid and that he was truly showing concern, he quickly picked up his gun.

It was a railgun pistol, called the RGX-Buster, and he loaded it with explosive ammo just in case.

He hurried to the place Max was leading him to, which was on the beach.

And while running there, he tapped twice on his exosuit's helmet area, which was around his neck. It then decompressed the helmet, and it unfolded itself to shape the helmet.

It was a cool process and it made Sid giddy with excitement for a second.

Reaching the area, he approached cautiously.

There was a big object floating, it was a spaceship, half the size of Sid's current one, which T currently resided in. It looked more advanced than any ship he had seen.

Suddenly, the ship landed, and a hatch was opened.

There were two people that came out. 

The first person to come out, was a woman.

She was perhaps a hologram, seeing as she was a bit see-through and there was a small flying object floating above her head, seemingly projecting the hologram.

The other one was a man looking like he was at his mid-twenties. The only peculiar thing about him was the fact that he had two horns coming out of his temple and he had long ears like an elf.

The woman had a light pink shoulder-length hair, and wore a frilly French maid outfit. She also wore white sneakers for some reason.

The man had a long black hair, wore a black suit coupled with a white shirt underneath, and a black tie. So he pretty much looked like the guys from M*n *n Bl*ck. He also wore sunglasses.

They didn't seem hostile, but Sid still kept his guard.

The man then spoke, but he did so in English.

"Yooo wassup my duude... I'm here to help a bro out."

"Huh?"

But it only confused Sid.

The man then spoke to the hologram beside him.

"Hey, I thought this was gonna work?"

"Sorry young master, but it was your own plan to talk like that."

"But I thought that speaking like that was popular to the young people in this era?"

"You had the wrong era, young master, that was how young people spoke before the Someranians invaded Earth."

Having enough of being ignored, Sid then interjected the two.

"I can hear what you're talking about with each other you know? Oh, and I understood what you said perfectly, I was just surprised."

"Oh..."

"So, care to tell me what the fuck is going on?"

"Hypothetically...."

"Hypothetically?"

"Hypothetically, if someone were to time travel by using the properties of a black hole to meet their father back in time, would that be convincing to you?"

"I don't know, you tell me."

"Shit, that didn't work."

"Of course that didn't work, are you kidding me? I know that you're just trying to explain how you got here, but doing it while adding hypotheticals and time travel bullshit won't work on me. By the way that was the most terrible convincement I've ever heard."

"Sorry that I suck at it. But actually, the time travel part is real."

"What?"

"I-I'm telling you, the time travel part is real. Actually the whole thing is real, it wasn't a hypothesis, sorry about that."

"What?!??!"

"Actually, you're.... my father."

Having enough of it, Sid toggled his helmet off, and came closer to the two figures in front of him.

He then pointed at his face with both of his hands and said to them back.

"This, me, I'm your father?"

"I feel awkward for saying this, but yes."

"What the fuck?"

"I-it's true, want me to prove it?"

"Of course I want you to prove it, are you kidding me? You think I'm just going to trust that some stranger way older than me was my son? What kind of flawed logic would that be?"

"Okay, okay, no need to be aggressive about it."

"How can I not be aggressive when something this ridiculous is happening?"

"I guess so. But here's the proof. Just watch this."

The man then brought out what seems to be a smartphone, but in this case, it looked too slim to be one, and looked like it was more advanced than Someranian technology.

The man then tapped a bunch of things on the smartphone, and it began to float.

"Cool, right?"

"So what does this have to do with-"

"Shhhh, here's the best part, you're gonna be amazed."

The floating smartphone then expanded several times its size. It expanded to the size of a 100 inch TV.

After it had finished the transformation, Sid asked a question to the man.

"So the phone expanded and I'm supposed to believe that that was the proof that you came from the future?"

"Hold on, it's not done yet."

The giant-screened smartphone then played a video. In that video, an elf looking like he was in his late thirties if he was human, started to talk.

"[Hello Sid, if you're seeing this, then it means that I couldn't make it there myself, or I'm dead. You see, I am your future self. You will definitely not believe what I just said, and I know that because I am you. But here's the thing, since I'm you, I know all your secrets. I know that you died from that pandemic and you reincarnated in the next century. I know that in your second life, you bought that hentai VR game and enjoyed it for 6 hours straight. I know that in your first life, when you were in your 10th grade, you had a crush on that girl that already had a boyfriend, and you ended up-]"

"Stop!!!! Stop!!!! I believe you. Please turn off the video."

The man then turned off the video, feeling a bit awkward, but then asked Sid again with a smile.

"Do you believe me now?"

"As much as I hate to say it, I do."

"Great. Now gimme a hug!"

"Huh? Oompf!"

The man suddenly hugged Sid with his full strength, quite literally.

"My name's James, by the way."

"...."

"Oh, sorry, hugged you too hard."

He then stopped hugging Sid and released his arms.

"Gahhh, phew..."

Even while using his exosuit, Sid literally felt like air was being squeezed out of his lungs with that hug.

He waited for a moment until his ragged breathing subsided.

"James...."

"U-uhhh, yeah?"

"Please, for the.... love of whatever the fuck..... don't do that again. My life literally flashed before my eyes."

"Okay, I'll tone it down next time."

"I'm serious, that was too strong of a hug."

"Y-yes, okay."

"Now, explain to me why you time traveled? There must be a reason why you did it right? It's not just to meet me, right?"

"Oh, look at that, it's time for my daily discussion with my maid."

"...."

James suddenly made an excuse and retreated to the back of his ship, avoiding the gaze of Sid. And he then talked to the female hologram.

"Hey T, should we tell him now?"

"Young master, I believe we should just stick to the original plan."

"B-but the original plan was to wait a few years until we meet him, it's too late for that now."

"And who do you think was responsible for it?"

"...."

"It was you, young master."

"Okay, fine, we won't tell him anything until the time that was set for the original plan. And stop calling me young master!"

"So, what do you plan on telling him now?"

"We tell him that we were sent to help him build his empire?"

4