Chapter 0: I died I guess?
406 1 14
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

(???) "Huh... well this is a bit awkward..."
These were not the words I was expecting when I woke up, assuming I'm awake that is 'cause last I checked my room had blackout curtains and a computer screen dominating my bedside table, and this was anything but that. Everything around in my vision was brightly lit, almost uncomfortably so for me, and kinda like a mix between a medieval noble's chambers and a modern company manager's office at least to my sensibilities.

(???) "So, before we get down to business... erm?"

The stressed out looking person in a robe in front of me managed to get my attention with this, couldn't quite make out his or her face cause of that hood, and that voice was way too androgenous to place.

(Ria) "Ah sorry, still a bit taken aback by all of this, just call me Ria I guess."

The robe person looked a bit confused at this, looking at a parchment before shrugging.

(???) "A bit out there, the record I have lists you as--"
(Ria) "I know what it says, lets just say that wasn't the name or body I was comfortable with."

(???) "Ah, my apologies. It seems someone didn't properly complete your file then. Please forgive the mistake."

They seemed genuinely sorry, so I guess I'll let it slide. I suppose that nickname wasn't on there, and at this point I think I know where this is going.

(???) "Well then, Ria, I take it from that expression you've gathered what I'm about to tell you, but formalities are required I'm afraid. You are in fact no longer among the living of your previous existence."

How the hells do they see my expression? Whatever.

(Ria) "Yeah that's kinda what I figured at this point, though gotta ask about that whole 'awkward' part from the beginning... I didn't get accidentally killed off did I?"

This made them seem to get lost in thought for a moment, all the while I'm just hoping this isn't the whole 'whoops I killed you' thing from those light novels I like to read.

(???) "Thing is, technically no, it wasn't an accident."

(Ria) "Wha--"

(???) "One moment please, bear with me on this, it's a bit complicated on our side too. You see there were quite a few souls being expedited through the whole process you know as 'Death', and while your, for sake of discussion, number was indeed drawn, the whole process got messed up and someone cut corners with your case as we've now seen by the gross lack of data."

At this point I'm more than a little lost, probably the whole outsider perspective thing going on. It finally dawns on me to look myself over only to find my whole form being... well formless, made from light of myriad colors.

(Ria) "Okay, well what went wrong then? I'm guessing there are some implications involved at this point."

(???) "Indeed, simply put we would never be speaking at all, the gate towards your new existence should have been open right as your life ended, but your life ended before it was ready due to the aforementioned 'cut corners'. This caused an... unusual issue of your soul absorbing more energy than normal just from being in this realm."

Ahhh, I get where this is at now.
(Ria) "So you’re saying that my soul has too much energy for the normal process now, and we need a different approach?"

(???) "Accurate enough for now, yes we can't just send you through a new gate so simply, however this does work in our favor this time, and yours too. We can send you to a realm similar enough to your own, but lacking that selfsame energy you now radiate, this will not only enrich the realm but also give you... perks? Advantages that normal people would not have."

(Ria) "And yet you say it like there is an alternative."

(???) "There is, but I don't think you'd want to be stuck doing the equivalent of office work for thirty-six thousand years minimum, no days off, with mandatory overtime."

(Ria) "...yeah hard pass there, hahaha..."

(???) "Thought not, anyways; The world you'll arrive in is about the Medieval era in most places, with notable exceptions in both directions across it. There is also what would be described in your past as "Magic". So what you get now is to choose your advantage, please pick something you'd want to use a lot as the more you use it the better for everyone and you will have unlimited magic energy as part of anything you pick due to your soul essentially becoming a magic generator."
So, something I can use lots, and will help me in this new world... I got it.
(Ria) "Then I want powers related to crafting, to craft anything I want with my magic replacing tools and materials when needed. This will be something that not only will get a lot of use, but also will help me survive."

(???) "I... see. I'll be honest, I was expecting something along the lines of being able to cast any and all magic you can think of."

(Ria) "I did consider that, but ultimately that kind of power gets used for war, I want to create with my hands. From swords to shovels, poisons to potions, and houses to castles. So that way if I do want to aid a cause I can, but also I can relax and make whatever I want."

They smile at my response a moment and then seem lost in thought. Suddenly they start writing on a parchment, I can't even begin to understand the letters or symbols on it. Then they roll it up and place it on me, I feel something change but can't describe.

(???) "It is done, and as you are sent to your new world your body will be constricted based on your mental self image, so be sure to focus on that. Good luck and have a good existence!"

14