Chapter 3: Iron Sand makes me Squee!
280 1 12
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Well I can honestly say after a night here… I miss sleeping on a couch, let alone a proper bed. I did eventually pass out from exhaustion but can’t say I’m well rested. After making a mental note to find this world’s equivalent of cotton I start breaking down the tent, rolling it up, and tying it to the pack.

(Ria) “Well I guess the order of the day is water, I was relatively fine yesterday but I need to find a river or something today… aaand I’m talking to myself, ah well not like anyone is around to judge.”

Having made up my mind I set off, doing my best to follow my nose and ears over my vision as I can still remember the scent of moist air well enough from my past life. Along my searching I start to find traces of other creatures, large creatures in particular… by which I mean that is a really fucking big bear-boar-thing right there. Thankfully I had opted for moving along the very prevalent branches of the trees rather than the ground, and the… whatever that is, didn’t see me which I gathered was good seeing as it was clearly carnivorous.

Thanks to that thing stalking around I was forced to stay still for a good while, but eventually it leaves in a direction I most certainly am not going. After what seemed to be a few hours from that encounter with the bear-boar, I smell it, moist air. Immediately coming to a stop I strain my ears, listening for the smallest sound of water, running or still, and to my luck I hear the babbling of a river nearby! Running, or the closest I can on tree branches, I head towards the water and find exactly what I was hoping for; a river seemingly untouched and just shallow enough that small yet sizable freshwater fish swim in it.

(Ria) “Now THIS is where I’d camp, water supply check, food supply check! I have clothes, a tent, and plenty of materials to make something that’ll last until I have better supplies!”

Having convinced myself of the location I set to work, pitching the tent once more and pulling out the leather waterskin I had made alongside the smaller tools and fill it up, immediately drinking my fill and discovering how crisp, clean, and cold the water was! Huh, maybe I’m lucky and this river flows from an ice-cap? Either way I won’t complain about having easy to use water! Now then, I should probably set a fish trap, but…

(Ria) “Ugh I really don’t like fish..”

That’s right, I actually disliked fish in my previous life, but as they say; Beggars can’t be choosers, I guess. I quickly set up the trap which honestly is rather simple, a boxed net with a one-way entrance, and placed it in the river. Having done that I decided to do something else to distract myself from the idea of fish, and the reason I hoped for a river; Iron sand collecting!

Thing is, you’d normally use a magnet, which I don’t have, instead I have something else which is namely my cheat like crafting powers! Seeing as I could take and process the leather of the deer thing, and harvest the longgrass with this power I figured I could pull the sand up and process it using that power to extract the iron sand! Turns out I was right, but it was a bit more involved as I had to not only get into and gather the sand, but also had to dry it out for some reason?

Anyways I brought a bunch of sand and placed it in a freshly made stone skillet(I know it's not efficient but it's what I thought of in the moment! Shut up!) and essentially cooked the sand until it was dry, and then used the power to get that iron sand… only to discover I couldn’t replicate it yet, I need a sizable amount of it so I guess I’m stuck here cooking sand until I have enough.

(Ria) “Well at least I’ll get iron more quickly than I figured, what else is in store I wonder?”

Talking to myself again after making the N-th amount of cooked sand, sorry no sides of fries with that, I finally got enough of that iron sand to trigger the replication! I start almost immediately working with it and processing it using that power into iron ingots, triggering that power again so I can start replicating those and making some new tools, from knives to hatchets, and cooking utensils to crafting tools. All of them seem of great quality, but then I realize that while I am still missing a bit of the things I need to make a full smithing station, I can however make a furnace and anvil now and start giggling with glee. What can I say, I’m a simple girl that likes making things!

12