Chapter 1: Fated meeting
51 1 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Alex felt the rain stinging in his eyes, despite his trusted umbrella. Every once in a while, the wind blew the water right into his face regardless. He was wet, cold, and tired. And he really wanted to go home. He had been waiting for. . . he looked at his watch, at least an hour! How long could this train be delayed?! A sudden quietness grabbed his attention. Slowly he looked up from his clockwork. From out of nowhere the large metal beast had appeared in front of his eyes. Even after seeing it a few times, it remained uncanny to him. 

Alex paused and looked around. There was no one else on the platform. And why would anyone be, not a lot of trains arrived at this station and never on time. Consequently, hardly anyone ever took a train and when they did no one knew where they went. Sometimes Alex thought about taking the train himself, see where it would take him, but he never dared. When nobody got off, he decided to look inside. The train always had passengers, so it should have at least one now. . . though it could just be a rat. Alex tried to ignore the skeleton-machinist and failed. He doubted that the thing actually drove the vehicle and assumed it was just placed there as a joke, but he couldn't be sure. The alternative was that the train drove itself, which was somehow even more unsettling. 

Alex walked past the bony driver and walked into the compartment. His eyes needed a second to adjust to the artificial lighting. Suddenly his eyes locked on the only passenger on the train. As soon as he saw him, Alex knew for certain that this was his man, the man he had been waiting for. The man was looking out of the window into the nothingness outside. Alex took a moment to observe his target since he wasn’t noticed yet. He had pale skin with short, dark, thin hair and a rough, dark stubble on his cheeks and throat. He wore a rough dark jacket, dark pants, and dark boots. Everything Alex saw about him looked dark and rough which made his skin stand out with a sickly glow. Alex coughed quietly, but it was enough to get the man's attention, he even had dark eyes. 

Alex: "I'm Frederick Sebastian Alexander, but you can call me Alex." 

Passenger: "Not Fred?" 

Alex: "Absolutely not ?." 

The compartment became silent, while Alex composed himself and the man looked out of the window again. Without any hearable emotion except for a mild curiosity, the passenger broke the silence. 

Passenger: "Where are we?" 

Alex: "In the train." 

Passenger: "I can see that. . . though I don't remember boarding one. . ." 

Alex: "It happens." 

Passenger: "Still, I don't really feel like that answers my question." 

When Alex didn't respond, the man continued haphazardly. "Like where is the train then. I've never been to this station before, what's it even called. . . and why can't I see anything outside of this window." 

Alex: "Cause there is nothing there." 

Passenger: "Nothing!?"  

Alex made a throw-away gesture. "Not nothing ?, some woods, some swamps, some. . . grass. Just no buildings and not a lot of people. Also, the window is blinded ?." 

The passenger sighed and combed this hair with his hands, though it didn't seem to achieve anything because it was so thin and short. 

Passenger: "Okay, what's this place called?" 

Alex: "That depends on who you ask." 

Passenger: "I'm asking you, what do you call?" Responded the passenger angrily. 

Alex: ". . . Home, I guess ?. I suppose I could call it. . . Uhm. . . Spirit town maybe ?." 

Passenger: "Could you please stop being so cryptic and annoying?" 

Alex: "Wow, wow it's my first time here as well, no need to be cross ?." 

Passenger: "Wait you've never been here either?" 

Alex: "Not in the train no ?." 

Passenger: "Where is here?!" 

Alex: "Aight fine. But there is no point telling. I can however show you if you want to." 

Passenger: "Yes please, anything if it helps me get home." 

Alex: "Aight, get up then. . . but before that. . . what's your name?" 

A blank look appeared on the passenger's face. 

Passenger: "I. . . I can't seem to remember. It's weird right, I feel like something like that. . . is something you always should remember. I feel like I do remember. . . but I don't know." 

Alex: "Well that won't do. I need something to call you by. And like. . . dark. . . pants. . . man won't do ?. I guess I will just give you one. . . what about Jax ??" 

Jax: "Can I say something?" 

Alex: "Uhm. . . sure ?." 

Jax: "That's a really fucking stupid name." 

3