Time Waits for No Man
353 8 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

CW:

Spoiler

comphet, betrayal

[collapse]

 

“All right,” Dan said, looking aside from the genie toward his friend Jack, “for my last wish, I wish for my ideal woman to appear facing me, and not in a mirror.” Jack had a sudden panicked look on his face.

“Presto,” the genie said, and waved his hands. A stunningly beautiful woman with long black hair appeared between Dan and Jack. She sighed and said, “I guess this was inevitable,” while Jack just sighed in relief.

“Let me guess,” the woman continued, putting her hands on her hips. “You figured the genie couldn’t create life, so he would have to turn your backstabbing buddy Jack into your ideal woman, and you could claim it was an accident, you hadn’t meant the wish that way.”

“How did you know?” Dan blurted out, then saw Jack’s glare and realized his mistake.

“You’ll find out in, oh, about ten years,” the genie said, and vanished, leaving a smirk behind that slowly faded. (No one but Jack noticed; Dan and the woman were totally focused on each other.)

“I can hardly believe the things I want to do to you,” she murmured, putting her arms around him, “but I know it’s inevitable, so let’s get on with it.” She pulled him into a kiss.

Jack tiptoed out of the room, though he probably could have stomped out and the lovers wouldn’t have noticed.

 

* * *

 

Dan stepped out of the limo and went inside. As had happened every day for the last week, his wife greeted him in a negligee and practically tore him out of his suit.

They’d spent almost all their time together for their first year or so. But then Dan started getting more hands-on with managing the wealth he’d acquired with his second wish, and she had developed more of her own interests. Neither of them had aged a day in the last ten years, thanks to his first wish, and both still had a healthy sex drive, but the last few weeks were a little unusual even for them.

But something was different this time. Despite her eager ministrations, he wasn’t getting hard. After a few minutes, she looked horror-stricken, and reached up a hand to brush gently against his cheek.

“Oh, no,” she said. “It’s already started... I couldn’t remember for sure, I thought we had a few more days.”

“What do you mean?” He loved it when she was cryptic and mysterious, how she would occasionally hint that she knew something and then, in most cases, refuse to say any more. The genie had known what his ideal woman would be like better than he did.

“You haven’t grown any stubble since this morning,” she pointed out. He hadn’t noticed, but he put a confirming hand to his face: smooth as it had been right after he shaved. “And... it’s not just limp, it’s smaller than normal.”

“What?” He looked carefully. Maybe it was. “This... this kind of thing shouldn’t happen. My first wish —”

“I know. It’s your third wish that caused this.”

He floundered for a few moments before asking, “How?”

“You’re starting to change into me. It will take about a month... and by the end, you’ll be as deeply in love with the old you as I am. Only you’ll get to go back in time and be with him, and I,” she choked back a sob, “— I’ll be alone.”

My recommendation this week is The Daily Grind by argusthecat. It starts out as a dungeon-crawling adventure with a neat twist, and branches out in unexpected directions to become a complex story about trying to change society for the better using  kindness, cleverness, and magic.  It has a lot of queer characters and a poly romance at its heart.

My 335,000-word short fiction collection, Unforgotten and Other Stories, is available from Smashwords in epub format and Amazon in Kindle format. (Smashwords pays its authors better royalties than Amazon.)

You can find my other ebook novels and short fiction collection here:

 

8