Age Eleven – Meeting the Parents ( 3 )
51 2 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

- Varethe Residence -

From the moment Volcanus had left, Urie had this feeling of being stared at by a predator. With a head full of red hair and ferocious crimson eyes, it was about to pounce on him but was mercilessly brought down to its knees by someone from an even higher position on the food chain. The person that had held down the beast was the woman with light brown hair and pointed ears that was sniffling by his side a few moments earlier.

“—Luca! Behave!”

“Ngaaah! S-Stella!! Please let me go, it hurts!”

Unsatisfied with the lack of response from the fire spirit, Luca turned his attention towards Urie and rushed at him to press him for answers. Stella, who was by Urie's side at the table, grabbed Luca's arm and held it to his back with a bit of force.

Not paying attention to her husband's pleas, she spoke towards her brother.

“Simone, go take the remaining bread rolls from the kitchen. We have important things to discuss so eat while we talk.”

“Sure thing but—“ Pointing towards Luca with his index finger, “—I think you should let go of his arm, sis. It sounds like it might give way.”

Stella released her grip on her husband's arm as Simone walked towards the kitchen. She turned her head towards Urie with an innocent smile.

“Are you okay little Urie? Did this bad man scare you?” She asked.
Rather than being scared, she saw a look of admiration surfacing on Urie's face.

“Can you please teach me how to fight, ma'am? I want to be strong!”

Surprised at his eagerness, Stella asked, “You're still a child, little Urie. Why would you want to learn how to fight?”

Urie recounted his earlier experiences with combat. How he struggled against a shadow wolf, was chased around by a rock drake, and his bout with the mystery monster clad in black.

“—Wait, you fought with one of the Nifyr?” Recovering from the pain in his arm, Luca reacted but was flicked on the head by Stella, urging him to stay quiet.

Urie continued and talked about how he wanted to eventually go and fight on the Erden wall and help his father and brothers.

“That's a lot of responsibility to take for a little kid.” Simone returned to the table with a tray full of bread rolls and spoke with a half-joking tone.

“Even so, it's something I want to take upon myself.”Urie declared. A look of determination showing on his face.

Simone was taken aback. Being stared at with clear eyes caused him to take Urie more seriously.

“You heard what he said, sis. Maybe you could show him a thing or two.” He said.

Stella pondered for a bit. She let out a light sigh before pointing her finger towards the table, “After breakfast.”

Getting her confirmation, Urie beamed with happiness, gulped a mouthful of milk from his cup, and took a few more pieces of bread from the tray. The adults all took their seats at the table and began to eat while continuing their discussion.

Stella gave Luca and Simone a recap of her conversation with Urie from before they arrived, when Celeste transferred to the other side up to the point where Volcanus had interrupted. They were greatly relieved after hearing news of Celeste and also felt grateful to Urie. Luca, who was no longer agitated, thought about some of the things Volcanus had mentioned.

“Volcanus said you received his blessing?”

“He said so, yes sir. It was probably a year ago, just after I failed at awakening my mana roots. My seed wouldn't take in mana so I wouldn't have been able to use magic then.”

“Wouldn't take in mana?” Luca contemplated for a moment. He stood up and approached Urie.

“I'm just going to check on something! Don't look at me like that.” He explained to his wife, who was getting ready to hold him down.

“Give me your hand, kid.”

Without waiting for his permission, Luca took Urie's hand into his and closed his eyes. Stella and Simone were curious as they watched how Luca's expression gradually changed into one of pleasant surprise.

“No wonder... Kid, come and close your eyes, try to get a sense for my mana seed.”

Urie did as instructed and shut his eyes. Spreading his awareness to the hands holding onto his, he saw thin red threads going up to the man's arms.

“What do you see?” Luca asked.

“Mana roots?” Urie replied, unsure if that was the answer Luca was looking for.

“That's right. Now compare them to your own.”

“They have the same color but look thinner than mine.”

Stella and Simone were surprised. Luca's magic output was already the highest among his peers. If this boy trained his body a bit more, wouldn't he be capable of much more than Luca?

“And? What of my mana seed?”

Urie focused a bit more and followed the threads to Luca's chest, where he saw a pale red seed.

“How is it? Yours looks much brighter, doesn't it?” Noticing that Urie had found his seed, Luca spoke with a smile. He directed a sentence to his wife, “The kid's similar to me, how about I teach him instead?”

There was a bit of disappointment in Stella's eyes but she didn't protest. Urie was slightly confused, but he didn't really mind. If Luca knew what was best for him, he couldn't complain.

“It seems I will have to trouble Mr. Varethe instead, ma'am.”

“That's alright little Urie but isn't it tiring to speak like that?”

Luca and Simone thought the same. From the start, Urie had been speaking with too much formality.

Stella, her elbow on the table and her hand propping up her chin, said with a charming smile, “Why don't you call me mama instead?”

Feeling slight indignance, she suggested calling herself that, wanting to get something for her concession.

“Mama? I don't mind ma'am, but what does mama mean?” Urie had never heard of the word.

“Nothing important. It means that we'll be able to see each other much more in the future.” Stella said, letting out a peculiar chuckle.

Urie didn't notice the subtle changes in her expression as she spoke but in the eyes of the husband and the brother who were pushed to the side, they were clear as day. Urie didn't think much of it and considered it a form of courtesy.

They sat back down and continued their conversation, talking about the situation over at the other side. About Urie's family, Daerin, the academy, and the wall. What intrigued them the most was Urie's description of the daytime.

White, fluffy clouds drifting across a serene blue sky. The sun would sink down by noon and slowly paint orange over the blue. By evening it would have set into the horizon and be replaced by a waxing and waning moon.

Luca and Simone were so engrossed in their discussion that they had forgotten to inform Stella that a certain someone was coming to visit.

After finishing breakfast, they decided to have a bit of an exercise. But before they went outside of the house, Luca asked Urie a question.

“Hey, kid. That thing that attacked you, the Nifyr, they pop out constantly around the city but never in any homes. You know why?”

“No sir, I haven't the faintest idea.”

“It's 'cause of Volcanus, he keeps himself busy every day keeping those things outside of the houses. That's why there's lighting inside when we got no lamps or candles.”

“Volcanus is pretty hard-working, isn't he, sir”

“It's the only job he's got so he at least has to do it right. Listen, kid,—“ Luca raised his hand on the door and stopped Urie from going out.

“Once we step out of the door, those things could come up from anywhere, so you better be on your toes.”He warned.

“Yes sir! I'll be extra careful!” Urie stood straight and gave him a salute.

“Stop calling me sir, you sound so stiff for a kid. Call me captain.”

“I don't think that makes much of a difference sir, captain sir.” The brother-in-law was listening in from the back and chimed in.

“Shut it Simone! Here is okay, watch how this works kid!” Stepping onto the wide road in front of the house, Luca pinched his fingers together and formed a small ball of fire. He threw it on the ground a small distance away and waited.

Urie looked over his shoulder, Simone and Stella were there, ready to assist. He noticed on Stella's waist hung a scabbard, dark and decorated with golden patterns, it was holding a long curved weapon.

“We lucked out, there's only one coming our way! Kid, time to show us what you can do!”

Looking towards the direction Luca was facing, Urie saw a shadow on the ground moving to approach them.

Instead of waiting for the creature to appear in front of them, Urie ran to meet the Nifyr and stood in front of it as it rose up from the ground. Stella was startled and released her weapon from its sheath, a long, single-edged blade with a grip that could accommodate two hands.

She didn't get to use it though, as Urie showcased his large amount of firepower by torching the magic creature while it was still halfway from emerging. He didn't stop and just continued to blaze the monster until it was no more.

“Huff... Huff... How'd... I do?” His chest heaving, Urie struggled to breathe after exerting his energy.

“That was smart kid, I thought I had you figured out but...” Luca looked towards his wife, who was holding her weapon in the air. The blade was glowing crimson and was giving out intense heat.

“Hah! I don't think he'll be able to learn much from you, Luca. Looks like when it comes to fighting, he's as much as a hot pepper as you are!” Simone exclaimed. He chuckled at the stupefied expressions on Luca's face.

“Volcanus helped me out with controlling my excessive output back then. All I had to do was to build up my mana seed as well as the strength of my body. I guess Volcanus being absent at the other side played a part in your lack of control.” Luca glanced at the dissipating flames while giving a plausible explanation.

“Even so, to burn a Nifyr with raw fire to the point where not a trace of it is left. You think you can do that at his age?” Stella sheathed her blade back into its scabbard.

“We don't know how long the kid will be here for, so why don't you two take turns teaching him? Sis is pretty good with control, maybe she can sub for Volcanus.”

Hearing Simone's proposition, Luca and Stella both agreed. They could each fill in for what the other lacked.

“There you have it kid, I'll teach you a few gimmicks and my wife will show you how to handle mana. Can't have you gasping for air after beating down just one Nifyr.”

“Yes sir—err... captain!!” Replied Urie.

“What are you trying to get a child to call you?” Hearing Urie address her husband 'captain,' Stella criticized him.

“Speak for yourself!” Was what Luca thought as he let out strained laughter.

A broad smile on his face and mischief on his mind, Simone tossed in a suggestion.

“How about you call him Papa?” He said.

1