Age Eleven – Crying Children
60 10 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

-Urie Loeth-

“Volcanus?”

Celeste's father uttered as he looked around the room to see if the fire spirit was going to show himself again.

“He only spoke to give his approval.” The elder with long ears that asked me to call himself Ashur sighed, “It is as the greater fire spirit said, we were only sealed along with him.”

Elder Ashur closed his eyes and rubbed his forehead with both of his hands. He seemed to be preparing himself for the topic we were approaching.

He brought his hands to the side of his head and pointed to his ears. “Do you all know why elves live long lives?” He asked.

I kept quiet. What are elves? Was he an elf? I had no idea, this was the first time I'd seen one. Wait. Aunt Stella and uncle Simone have similar long ears, albeit shorter.

“It's because we're magic creatures, we get some of our lifespan from the mana we possess. If we can't resupply our mana, then we won't be able to live out our entire lifespan. We would age quicker.” Nobody answered so he continued.

So there are magic creatures that look human. What about Celeste? Was she human?

“We can't absorb mana from the surroundings like you, we have to replenish ourselves through the spirits. Magic creatures' bodies are attuned to a certain element of mana, certain spirits. For the elves, that would be the wood spirit.”

Then something like the rock drake, since it's covered in earth, I'm guessing the earth spirit? What about the shadow wolf?

“Just the presence of the wood spirits would provide us with mana. The number of pure-blooded elves that are left on this side, including the Elder Council, is at a small number compared to a few centuries ago. That's because we're kept away from the wood spirits, from the greater wood spirit”

Then what reason was Volcanus sealed here? Could it be...?

“The bigger the magic creature, the more mana it requires. The minor fire spirits over at the other side aren't enough, and the greater fire spirit, Volcanus, is here.“

Minor spirits? If Volcanus is a greater spirit, something that would need Volcanus to replenish its mana...

“The fire dragon?” Oh, I said that out loud.

“You know of it child?” Elder Ashur turned towards me, his face was looking surprised.

“No sir, Volcanus had mentioned it earlier,” I answered.

He nodded and continued to speak, “Yes, Volcanus, the fire spirit, was sealed in order to stifle the lifespan of the fire dragon. The dragon started to hibernate once Volcanus disappeared, in order to prolong its life.”

“So if we restore the tower's connection, that would equate to effectively waking up the dragon.” Uncle Simone, said what I was thinking.

“Correct, that's why we must only restore it for a moment, just enough time for the child to pass over to the other side. One other problem we might have is that we don't know how the Nifyr would react.”

“Huh? What do the Nifyr have to do with the tower?” Uncle Luca asked.

“They are the byproducts of the fire dragon's dreams. You could call them the dragon's nightmares. They are evidence that the dragon is starved of mana. However, the council has no idea how they managed to make their way to this side.” Elder Ashur said.

I think I know someone who might have an idea. Well, he was to blame for me arriving here. Though I have to find my way back first before I can question him.

“Then? How are we going to restore the tower's connection? Uncle Simone asked.

“That part will be easy, the council has an artifact in storage that will act as the medium to link the towers. We only have to bring it to the tower.” Elder Ashur said.

Would it be that easy? Volcanus said he couldn't do it.

“And the hard part will be dealing with the reaction of the Nifyr.” Uncle Luca was serious.

Of course, it wouldn't.

“We'll figure it out, we might have to mobilize the entire brigade.” Uncle Simone remarked.

Involve other people? “Why?” The question escaped my lips.

Why were they doing this? I do want to go home but...

“I'm troubling you all so much.”

They fell silent at my words.

“Oh, little Urie...” Aunt Stella stood up and walked towards my seat. She took me into her arms and held me tight.

“You don't have to worry about these things. It's the job of the adults to take care of you kids, and that includes getting you home safely.”

Sniff... My eyes started to moisten at what aunt Stella had said. I returned her hug and buried my face into her embrace.

I was scared. Not of the Nifyr, and not of the dragon. I was scared I wouldn't get to see my mother again, my father, my brothers, and my grandfather.

Was this how Celeste felt? She was this scared? Anxious? These thoughts were causing my stomach to hurt and my arms to tighten around aunt Stella's waist.

“We should put a hold on this discussion. We'll continue once little Urie has settled down.” I heard her speak to the others.

I forgot we were having a conversation. I tried to recompose myself so we could continue but my hands wouldn't let go. My face started to feel wet as I pressed it onto aunt Stella's shirt.

I'm sorry mama Stella, I'll try to dry it later with magic.

- Erden's Tower - Central Pillar -

Going back in time a day earlier, to a wide circular room decorated with pedestals, a bright column of light, and a small mirror, a black-haired, bob-cut young girl was seated on the ground. She was quietly listening to the discussion of four glowing apparitions. On her lap lay a red-haired young girl, resting after a session of shedding tears.

- Age Eleven - Elicia Perid -

“About the children, we better get someone to pick them up.”

The blue lady, was she talking about us?

“Oh, I already called for someone. She should be arriving soon.” The yellow old man said.

She? Who's coming to pick us up?

“Well done. We should get going, we have responsibilities that can't be left alone for too long.”

“I should stay with the children, just until my child comes to pick them up.”

Responsibilities? Like I said, who's picking us up?

“No, there's no need. Who knows when the next wave of mana beasts will show up. Sylvestris can stay here with them since he's the only one with free time on his hands.”

Who?

“Why didn't you call for your child, Sylvestris? He's also at the city, isn't he?”

Oh, the lazy green man.

“You kidding? That man-child would tire himself out cutting down trees just to get here fast. It's fine, I'll stay here with these kids.”

He looks sloppy. Just look at him, laying on his side like that.

Huh? They're gone, vanished into small dots of light. Except for the green guy. Is he really going to stay here with us?

“Wah!” That scared me, I covered Celeste, who was on my lap with my arms.

Dirt clumped up in front of me and turned into a doll, glowing yellow, just like that old man. It looks kind of cute. I wanted to get a closer look.

“Hello, child.” Wahh, it spoke. Wait, it's the voice of the old man.

“Don't be scared young one, Gnomus is my name, I'm a friend of your father and your aunt.”

Father taught me to never talk to strangers, I won't be convinced easily.

“Speaking of your aunt, I've instructed her to come here and take you home.” The doll said.

“Aunt Merea? She's going to come?”

“Yes child, so relax and just wait for her to arrive. For the time being, Sylvestris over there will stay here to accompany you. His speech may be a little loose-tongued, but he's a good fellow. He doesn't mean anything bad by what he says. ”

“Alright.” As long as aunt Merea comes by to get us.

“I'll leave this doll with you, if you ever need help, just call my name,” Gnomus said.

The glow around the doll disappeared, he must've left. I reached for the doll as it was falling down and it landed on my hands. How will this thing help me? Do I need to call his name?

“Hey, kid, don't be so stiff yeah?” The green man spoke.

I think his name was Sylvestris? Can I talk to him?

“Umm, my friend, what happened to him?” I asked.

“Friend? Oh! The boy? Don't worry about him, a friend of mine and those guys from earlier will look after him.” Sylvestris said.

Oh good, I don't have to worry. Seriously, disappearing on us like that. I'll have to give him a piece of my mind when he comes back.

“Why'd you have to stir up trouble? Kids like you should just stay in the city and play.” Sylvestris said.

I couldn't tell if he was joking or not, he had no face to show what expression he was making. Only fluffy looking green hair. At least, I think its hair.

“It wasn't our fault...” I muttered. It was the fault of that creepy old man.

“Haah... What's done is done I guess, we'll just have to see how Volcanus handles it over at that side.”
Who? Another name I don't know.

“Oh! Time to go kid, your babysitter's here.”

Sylvestris finally stood up and his body dimmed. He vanished, like he had never been here. Wait, babysitter?

“Who are you calling a baby!” I yelled.

“Elicia!”

“I'm not a baby!” Huh? Who said that?

I looked towards the direction of the entrance of the room. Under the doorway, I could see someone extremely familiar.

“Aunt Merea?” She was finally here.

“Elicia! You're safe?” The look on her face, I thought she was going to be angry.

It was one of worry. As she came closer, I noticed how parts of her clothes were torn. Her boots were dirty, and her hair was unkempt. She wasn't even wearing her eyeglasses. She had a few scratches here and there.

I didn't notice when I started to but I was biting my lip. I kept blinking my eyes, trying to stop the tears that were coming.

“Aunt Merea!” I started bawling.

“It's okay Elicia, come on, wake Celeste up so we can go home.” She instructed.

I shook Celeste gently to wake her up.

“Celeste, time to go home,” I said.

She opened her swollen eyes and looked at me. I smiled and helped her up.

“Aunt Merea? What about the rock drake outside?”

While I was wiping the dampness on my face, I recalled the magic creature that was chasing after us.

“It's safe to go out, I took care of it.” She said.

Took care of it? Did she lead it away?

We exited the central pillar and arrived at a scene of carnage. Patches of the ground were dug up. Bits and pieces of what looked like the rock drake were strewn about.

I was amazed at my aunt's strength. Did she do this by herself?

0