Chapter 472
141 1 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Natalie!” “You wimpy bitch!” Kate and Carmen immediately yelled at Natalie, and tried to charge at her. But an invisible force field appeared before them and stopped them midway. No matter how hard they tried, they could not push even one inch forward.

 

“Carmen, Kate, sorry. But I’ve got to do this.” Natalie said to her teammates with tears on her face: “There was just no other way. ”

 

“Kate, you don’t know if he’s capable of what he claims.” Kate still tried to talk Natalie out of it: “And think of your family, and your friends, we don’t know what’s gonna happen to them if they know that this curse is removed - ”

 

“And I don’t know what would happen to them if we come back empty handed either.” Natalie said: “I’ve made my choice, I am willing to take a gamble. We all know that there is no end to this - Lady Vyn wouldn’t even trust her own blood, why would she spare us any trust?”

 

Both Carmen and Kate looked at Natalie in shock, as she just disclosed the name of their employer, without suffering any consequences from the gag curse.

 

“And they won’t find out. Even if you tell me the darkest secret you know.” Jianmen interjected as he took the doll on which Natalie dropped her blood and placed it inside a hidden safe in the wall which none of the three spies saw before: “All I am doing is move the curse to a scapegoat - this doll, unless this doll can somehow talk or think, and someone was stupid enough to break the curse on a doll, then the one who placed the curses on you would not notice a thing.”

 

“Yes, you say that but we can’t know that!” Kate said: “We don’t even know you.”

 

“You know this inn, you know you can’t do anything to hurt me or my guests. And if I’d like, you probably will spend the entirety of your lives in those layered illusions until such time comes that you are no longer yourselves.” Jianmen said: “And you know I don’t have any intention to hurt you.”

 

“But that is because you want information from us.” Kate said: “About Lady - about our employer.”

 

“Partially true, but you did come and try to spy in my inn first.” Jianmen scoffed: “What do you expect? A thank you note and a fruit basket?”

 

“I’ll tell you.” Natalie said to Jianmen in a soft, exhausted but stern voice: “I feel like the curse is no more - I’ll tell you. But I have one request.”

 

“Name it. I’ll try.”

 

“I want your help, saving my family from the shackles.” Natalie wiped her eyes and looked Jianmen right in the eyes: “If you could do that, I promise I’ll tell you everything.”

 

“That will depend on the information you can provide. I can’t promise you anything. For I am but myself and two of my students. I can’t order anyone into battle against a High Broker of the Exalter Bondsmen.” Jianmen frowned.

 

“I know - but I think you’re gonna want to.” Natalie nodded, and was in no way surprised at Jianmen’s refusal to give her a definitive answer.

 

“Natalie, do you know what you’re doing?!” Carmen spoke through her teeth from the other side of the room: “You are betraying our employer! The one who led a group to kill at least a hundred mages and sorcerers, even when she was abandoned by magic ...” Before she could say anything more, the gag curse started taking effect and she started coughing, wheezing and even choking. This effect was obviously quite powerful, because she fell onto the ground even when Kate was by her side trying to help her hold her body up.

 

“Don’t worry, your transgressions happen here and will stay here, which includes the fact that you just spilled a bunch of personal histories about your boss, or bosses.” Jianmen sighed then smiled: “Alright, Ms. Natalie, if you’d like, let’s go talk someplace quieter, warmer, and - safer.”

 

“Okay.” Natalie hopped out of the bed and went to the door to their room. Before she left with Jianmen, she turned back and took a look at her former teammates, then went straight out the door.

 

“Natalie!” Kate tried to call out to Natalie one more time.

 

“Don’t you dare!” Carmen screamed and banged on the invisible wall formed by the forcefield with her fists: “Natalie! Think long and hard about what you’re doing! You cannot betray us, you cannot betray her!”

 

“Now, if you two are willing to talk. Just let me know, I’ll leave these two dolls here.” Jianmen pointed at the two remaining grass and rattan dolls left on the nightstand.

 

“What will happen to them?” Natalie asked: “Are you - are you going to hurt them?”

 

“I will hold her until our deals are fulfilled.” Jianmen led the way by rolling down an aisle and found a room that was quite close to the room before: “How’s this room? The interior design is similar to the one back there.”

 

“O - okay.”

 

“Do you want any food before we begin?” when Natalie settled inside the spacious room with only one bed, one bath and a balcony.

 

“I’d like some tea, thanks.” Natalie sat on the sofa near the coffee table and pulled a blanket to cover herself: “And - if it is possible, can you tell me a brief history of this inn as well? Doesn’t have to be right now. I’m just curious...”

4