5 – Village 1
1.3k 3 29
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

After dinner, as I laze on my bed, I decide to spend my two skillpoints. I actually do not have much choice, so, I use it to learn Heal, and the other skill to level up Prince.

Skill Menu (After spending skillpoints) (+) indicates can be upgraded.

  • Level 2 Prince (+)
    • Level 1 - Eye of affection
    • Level 2 - Crafter of gifts (+)
    • Level 1 - The power of love
  • Level 1 Healer (+)
    • Level 1 - Heal (+)

And the next morning when I woke up, I suddenly seem to know how to cast heal, which I can do so 5 times per day, and I feel.. stronger, which i attribute to the Prince level.

Anyway, I need to gather more allies. 3 months is ticking away!

At this time, Anne comes in with my morning briefing, and a maid brings in the day’s breakfast. “Anne, are there any skilled mages or archers in the outskirts, the villages of Loom?”

“Ah… there might be.”

I pause, wondering what's the best way to go about gathering allies for my upcoming challenge. “How many royal guards can I afford?”

“Currently in the expenditure budget of Loom, allocation for the royal house is able to support of the wages and benefits of 15 full time royal guards, of which 5 has been filled. Though if you want a larger royal guard, we could use the profits from the royal lands, or dip into our treasury which has a decent pile of funds…”

Loom is far from the capitol, but the land is relatively productive, so exports is a big thing, even though it is mostly handled by the resource administration office. In short, I’m quite rich.

“Is there… something you would like to do?”

The maid steps out, and we start eating breakfast.

“Perhaps… to prepare for the demon?”

“Yes, you’re so good at reading my mind, Anne. Adam is currently one, but him alone is not sufficient.”

“So… you want to organise a public audition?”

“Not public, all I ask is for them to come forth and meet me, have a few words, and I will decide from there. I will know who I want once I meet them.”

“Would it be better if we schedule a trip for you to visit each of the villages, then? Most of the potential candidates would not be able to travel due to financial concerns

“Yes, that would work. Set specified dates at each village, and we can go on tour to fill my royal guard vacancies.”

And so, the next phase begins. The tour of the villages of Loom.

Adam and Anne comes along, as my guide and guard, both are locals to the region, and are quite familiar with these places. Of course with a small squad of soldiers, about 15 of them.

“First village we visit is coming up.”

“How many people live here?”

“About 180.”

The “audition” is held in a village hall. When I say, audition, its essentially a party, a free meal. Kind of like those get togethers politicians throw whenever they visit a town.

There may be some candidates who refuse to turn up for battle or combat auditions, perhaps a fear, or feeling or feeling of inadequacy, or other reasons.

But free food?

Well, the hall is full. It costs some money to buy the produce and arrange for a local chef to cook, but it’s a good way to get to know a place. I give a short speech, explaining how I recently came to the role of Lord of Loom, I am on tour to get a better understanding of the people and the place, and also looking for good people to work with me.

Typical political speak. Even Prince Carlos knows it, but it works.

And then I turn to my real focus.

The crowd is mixed, comprising all ages. There are some children, some elderly, mostly of the working age. I scan through their indicators, and only one pop up on despite my filters.

But I can’t make it too obvious, so I mingle with the rest of them for a while, before finally approaching my target.

A middle aged man, I go up to him to speak.

“Hello, you are?” I extend a hand to greet him, my eyes looking at him.

Name unknown, 0%, Red, Brawler & Farmer, Rank 3, Level 12.

“Reese… erm.. your majesty.” Awkward. He tries to curtsey but comes out odd.

“It’s fine. I do not expect the common folk to know the formalities of the court.” I flash a smile, and tap him on the shoulder instead.

“Ah…” He’s not really relaxed.

“So, how are things?” A temporary waitress passes by, with a few mug of drinks. I grab a beer and pass it to Reese. “Here, a drink.”

“Ah.. erm… things are tough sire. Farming is hard work, and the land here can be odd.”

“Yes, I’ve heard from the elders, it seems many of you speak of sudden, unnatural deaths of crops. It’s something on my list, Anne’s helping to check whether we have any specialist that can help.”

“Ah… the elders speak of it too…”

“You have any idea what’s causing it?”

He sips on the beer, after I took a sip of mine. He’s still nervous, being next to royalty, but the alcohol helps.

“I reckon its the monsters upstream. Their poo gets into the water sometimes, and its not good to our crops. But the elders don’t think so, saying those monsters has been there for ages…”

[Reese’s Sidequest obtained- slay the monsters upstream. Reward Reese’s + 30% affection]

“Hmmm… I see.” Ah this system is so clever. “Ever try doing it yourself?”

“No sire, too many of them. And I may know how to fight, but it ain’t smart to walk into a den alone.”

“Ah…”

“Say, you have family here?”

“Naw. Since my pops passed away its just me here, tending to the family land.”

“Ahh…. I see. Anyway, about that monster thing… how many do you think there are?”

“I think I recall seeing about 15 of them when I checked, the last time my crops died a few months ago. No idea whether they multiplied.”

“What are they?”

“Black batdogs, sire. The size of cows.” Ah, batdogs. Giant dogs, with batlike wings, capable of short range tree-to-tree flight using their wings as a glider. Not much of a combat threat, to any regular force, but they are a pest.

Is there an expiry date to the quest?

Expires in 2 months.

Ah, dammit. I turn back to Reese and smile. “Say, if we ever try to attack the pests, would you know who would join us?”

Reese pauses. “Uh… really?”

“Yeah. Its a pest and, here I am, with a small squad. If there is slightly more 15, I think we can take it easy. So, gather your friends. We strike tomorrow morning.”

Reese’s eyes shine a little. “Really.”

“Yes. Meet us tomorrow morning at the guesthouse.”

Adam and Anne comes over and I explain my plan.

“Milord… you sure about this?” Adam looks, wondering…

“We have time, don’t we. The next village is a day away, and going upstream to the den and back is going to take only half a day.”

“Yes.” Anne looks at a small notebook, a scheduler. “We have some time. I did spare some time slots for such moments, tomorrow morning, and even then we could arrive at the village the day after.”

Hah! Anne expects such things. She’s good.

After the little eating event, I would stay a night at the village's guesthouse while the rest of the troops stay in camps. I spoke to them briefly about the batdog hunt, while Adam, another soldier and Anne shares the guesthouse with me.

The two men initially refused, Adam especially, saying he did not want to intrude or be a bother between myself and Anne.

Anne, of course blushes and insists its fine for them to join.

“It's nothing like that!!!” She says.

Ah, she’s cute!

29