7 – Village 3
1.2k 1 21
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The next village is a slightly bigger one, located next to a lake. Home to about 250 people, once again we do a food party.

I like food parties, and I get the sense that the men like it too. Some of the men are single, so I think some are taking the chance to get to know the locals, I mean, they must be disappointed that Anne isn’t interested in them, so…

Too bad, such is the life of being a sidekick in a harem MC’s story.

Once again, I repeat the routine. A speech about how I came to rule the land of Loom, and now I’m getting to know the place. The villagers buy it, I think, but I’m sure they are skeptical. I doubt everyone’s that gullible… right?

Anyway, routine, routine. Gotta catch the next big fish. I pass Adam and the men a beer each. I specifically arranged for beer to be available at all my outings, since the men respond well to them. It boosts +10% affection! What’s not to like about beer, and to be fair, beer tastes pretty good in this world.

In fact, I think all alcohol generally tastes better here, it’s my noble tastebuds! Must be!

“Prince, please control yourself…” Anne tugs at my arm, and Adam takes a step back.

I nod, “Yes yes.” After taking a sip of the beer, I stop, and turn to look at her. “Let’s walk around and meet everyone else.”

She smiles, “Okay.”

A Rank 4 or Rank 5 person to add into my Royal Guard, that’s the ideal target to look for, but at the moment, it looks like it’s relatively rare. After the filter has been applied, there’s not a single Rank 3 in the village.

“Did everyone turn up?” I ask the village’s elder.

“Ah.. most of them who are free are.”

“What do you mean.”

“Ah quite a bit of the men and women are out hunting. There’s wild deer migration passing by, and this week is our only chance to get them before they move too far away.”

Damn.

“Anne, were you aware of this?”

“Uh.. no.” She looks scared, as if I’m going to scold her. Well, I am a bit annoyed, but what can I do. This is just reality, I can’t catch everyone at a good time.

“Never mind then.” I smile back at the elder, and nod. “Do you happen to know if any of them have… erm… inclination to join my royal guard?”

“Ah… perhaps some of them do.”

“Can you ask them to come to Loom sometime within the next 2 months?”

“Ah… uhm… I’m not sure, but I will try to ask them, milord.”

“Good.” I shake the elder’s hand, and smile. It’s a social smile. I’m unhappy. But I’m a prince, I’ve got a practiced smile, I can do this.

After the event is over, Anne sits next to me and apologises. “I’m sorry, my prince…”

I pause. Do I punish her? Is it her fault? I take a deep breath, and then turn to look at her. She looks really sad.

The system then gives me a prompt

  • Don’t fault her (+5% affection)
  • Tell her to do better (+0% affection, but will improve performance)
  • Tell her you will punish her (Will trigger special scene)

Huh!

That’s an odd one. I’m really curious what the special scene is, but then, I think now is not the time for it. If she commits mistakes the next time, I will then punish her.

“I’m disappointed, Anne. I think this could be arranged better, next time.”

She nods, and bows. “I’m sorry, your majesty. I will plan better, the next time, I promise.”

“Good. I hope so.” I flash a weak smile. It’s intentional.

As she walks away I think I hear her sobbing a little, but never mind. She needs to do better, I expect that from my subordinates. If there’s a monster coming in 3 months, I need my people ready.

We are supposed to head to the next village the day after, and so I had the rest of the day free. I took the time to just walk around, and get to know Adam a bit better.

“Everything okay with Anne, there?”

“It’s fine. Just a bit disappointed I didn’t get to meet anyone with combat competence.”

“Ah…” Adam didn’t know how to react there.

“Never mind that, how’d you like the villages so far?”

“It’s… nice. It feels good to visit the villages, and do… work. I suppose. It’s like this is our duty, why we joined the army. To protect everyone, and this is.. Good.”

“I’m glad you have that sense of duty with you. Some of the men just do it for the money… mostly. So, if things go sour, I’m not sure how much I can count on them.”

“Ah, don’t say that. Some men may look greedy and all, but when push comes to shove, they will find that some things are worth fighting for.”

“You believe so?” I’m skeptical, as I look at the soldiers accompanying us. They’re busy trying to hit on the locals, they are single after all. “I think they think with their little brothers some time.”

Adam chuckles. “Well, we all do. Sometimes.”

21