11 – Adam 40%
1.2k 2 20
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

11 - Adam’s 40% scene.

Adam pauses, and stares. “What are you really planning, Prince Carlos?”

I nod. “You really want to know?”

“This tour you are doing… why?” Adam takes a step forward, his eyes looking into mine.

I turn to face the lake, and take in the view. It’s gorgeous, a lake, with forests and mountains in the distance.

“Let’s play a game. Guess?”

Adam steps up next to me. “Your eyes is on the throne. This tour, to travel the villages, is to gather people to support that initiative. You seen to have some kind of eye for talent, and with it you intend to build something, perhaps your own force.”

I pause, and I laugh. I honestly have not thought about so far way, though I suppose it does look like that. A prince being sent away, what better way to return than to return with an army.

“Is it?” Adam’s eyes try to read my expression, a little worried. Perhaps he wish what I said was not true. Or does he wish it was true?

There’s a bench right by the lake, a strange silence hangs over us, as I ponder my answer. I sit down, and take a sip of a water flask that hangs on my belt.

“No. I did not think that far.”

“Really? You don’t seem that naive, Prince Carlos. If your eyes are on the throne, I can totally understand it.”

I smile, “Adam, I’m being honest. My focus is really on that… disaster that is coming in the next 2 months or so.”

He didn’t reply, he’s still waiting for me to continue.

“I really do believe there is a threat, a monster or something coming. We have about 9 or 10 weeks left, and I need all the good warriors I can find to face it.”

“Is it some kind of magic?”

“Huh?”

“This ‘vision’, or whatever. Is it a magic of some kind?”

“Ah, yes. I guess you can say so.”

“Why not run?”

Huh?

“All my life, I have seen, met, nobles who fled when the going gets tough. When their life is at risk, the nobles would ask others to take the fall for them, all of us peasants, to fight in the muddy fields while the nobles rest and relax in comfortable camps. Even the previous mayor, he’s delighted when he got the chance to be transferred back to the capitol. So, if a big monster is coming, why not run?”

“Well, maybe I will flee and run too, if it looks like we will lose. But I play to win, so I will stay.”

Adam laughs. “Might be too late then.”

I shrug, “If it comes to that point, it is my mistake.”

He pats me in the back.

“What.” I mean, you pat me on the back and say nothing. You have something you mean to say, so say it.

“How many are you looking for?”

Adam’s just asking everything that comes to his mind, isn’t he? But I suppose he wants to know?

“Your recruits. Sara, Reese, me. How much is enough, before that 2 months is over?”

“I don’t know. But honestly, everyone I can get my hands on. Better to be over prepared, right?”

Is quantity better? Or quality better? I had thought about it, whether do I train one subordinate so that he can fight the monsters, or do I go for volume and throw bodies at the problem? The system has no answer, and I suspect both is possible.

There’s a small group of ducks swimming on the lake.

“Maybe, just maybe, ten?” I mean, that’s a good number. If this isn’t one of those merciless systems, it won’t be too hard? Or is it?

“Ten…” Adam too takes a sip from his flask. “That’s a good number. You intend for us, to be a hit squad to take on the enemy general or a monster?”

“That’s the intention.”

We pass by a local street vendor. It’s actually an old lady selling snacks and souvenirs, right outside her home.

Adam buys one, a small donut like snack, and he then also offers to get me one, “Which flavor do you want, Prince Carlos?”

  • Option 1 - Jam - Adam learn’s an AoE attack, Spinning Tornado
  • Option 2 - Cheese - Adam learn’s a Single Target attack, Grand Slash
  • Option 3 - Sugar flakes - Adam learns a defensive ability, Sword Wall

What. The system just shoehorned an ability choice into a food selection? Why can’t I pick all of them? Or none?

“I think you can only have just one flavor. Anne will kill me if she finds out I stole her date for tonight’s dinner.” Adam seems to just remind me, to stop me from getting too greedy.

“Cheese.” Grand Slash sounds like the perfect choice for an anti-boss fight. 

20