Chapter-7
3.4k 10 114
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“SWITON?!? Did you just say Switon, your highness?”

“Yep!! You heard me right.”, I said cheerfully in complete contrast to Duke Landon’s tone.

“Arthur...Do you hear yourself speak? As an Emperor, this is not something that I can just nod my head at.”

Now I have to hear this guy preach on something?... Okay, Arthur, don’t get irritated. Golden chances like this don’t come often

“Your Majesty, can I clarify some facts with all of you here?”, I asked as politely as I could.

“You may.”

“Thank you. I’ve heard mother speak about Switon Dukedom for a countless number of times. Correct me if I am wrong, but the start of Switon Dukedom’s fall was due to the war of succession among the siblings for the Duke position, am I right?” 

“Your highness, this is the knowledge that even kids among the street possess. What point are you trying to make?”

“Duke Landon, the result of the war is a Duchy with no one governing it. The whole family became the victims of the war and this all happened 12 years ago. Right now, the duchy is being looked after by the Royal capital. Now please answer my question, Why have you not appointed another noble to govern after the Duchy?”

“The land covered by the Duchy is large. GIving it as a whole to a single, already existing family will break the power balance. But at the same time breaking them into smaller pieces results in more pressure on the capital. After all, we can’t have any families rebelling.”

“I see...Then Duke Landon, why hasn’t a new family been created to look after the duchy, you know, instead of letting an already existing one?”

The Duke again spoke unfazed by my question.

I kind of like this...he is not treating me as a ten-year-old kid but as a political partner.

“Well, that’s because it’s difficult to find an individual who is tied down to the Empire. We need someone who won’t run amok with power…Ah!!”, the Duke exclaimed with his eyes open.

“Looks like you caught up with what I was thinking, Isn’t this a golden opportunity to pass on the Ducal house to someone who won’t rebel?”

“That’s right!!”, Empress suddenly exclaimed.

“Exactly, I hate the Emperor but not the Empire itself. So, you won’t have to worry about me running amok.”

Though the Emperor’s face darkened, Duke Landon had a bright face.

Well, I guess that’s some weight off his shoulder.

“So let me ask again, Your Majesty, if you swear on fulfilling all of the above conditions, I Arthur Zemira, will give up my position as the Crown prince.”

“Hmmm...What do you think, Landon?”

“I don’t think we have anything to lose, Augustus. But Your Highness, won’t your relation with the Emperor will cause problems?”

First name basis with the Emperor?... Guess they two are close.

“You don’t have to worry, Duke Landon. I prioritize keeping my personal life and work life separate. I hope His Majesty will do the same.”

I said so while staring at the Emperor. I know this is a large decision to make, it concerns the people after all.

“....Fine, You will become the Duke of Switon when you reach the age of 17 years.”, he said so after a long time.

“You have my gratitude, Your Majesty.”

“Finally that land is off our hands…”, I was able to hear Duke Landon mumble.

If you are going to say something terrible...it’s better to keep it in your brain you damned four-eyes. 

“But can the people there hold out for 7 more years?”, a sincere question was placed by the Empress on top of us.

“It is true that embezzlement is quite high among those areas.”

“Duke Landon, you don’t have to worry, I have calculated the amount of money being embezzled in the Duchy. It certainly exists but at the same time, the amount being embezzled is quite low. The amount being embezzled is only somewhere around 40% of the money I am about to get.”

“Now, why do you sound so disappointed?”, the Emperor asked curiously.

“Why? Well, isn’t this a perfect chance for investment?”

“Investment?”, this time it was the Empress.

“I wanted to do this later...well I guess it doesn’t make much difference. Sebastian, I want you to send 40% of the money I am going to get, to the Duchy every month and of course, keep records of where and how the money is going. If they are using various means to embezzle money, 7 years is more than enough to sniff everything out.”

“Absolutely, your highness. And, although I already understand what you are actions are going to be, please do say what you are going to do with them.”

“Absolutely simple, once I rise to power, I will threaten all those midgets and of course receive money many times the investment I made.” 

I just can’t control the grin forming on my face!!

“Are you really a ten-year-old, your highness?”

That’s rude, Prime minister!!

“Of course I am.”

“Sigh...and those are all the conditions?”

“Yes, your majesty. I don’t think I have anything other than tha...Oh wait, just to be clear, I am not going to be attending the academy.”

“That’s fine, if you pass the final exam, I can get you the graduation certificate”

“Ohhh...Duke Landon, please don’t abuse the power you got.”

“Oh please...what else am I supposed to do when I have a ten-year-old who just got himself a Duchy.”

Uh-Uh...he isn’t wrong.

“Ahem...If that is all, can we decide on more pressing matters right now?”, seems like the Empress is enjoying herself.

*cough*“Of course, Empress Camilla. I have all my conditions laid out. I don’t have any other requests.”

“I see...now we have to decide on how you are going to give up the position of the Crown prince. We can’t just declare to the public on what we have decided here."

“If it’s about that, I can just resign it myself.”

*blink**blink**blink*

They are all dumbfounded.

“But Arthur, if you do it yourself, people including the nobles will see you as a spineless, incompetent prince.”

“Your majesty, don’t tell me you have already forgotten about what mother told me? She told me to not care for the other’s views of me. She instructed me to be a free spirit. And that is exactly what I am going to do.”

“Haha… I see”, he said so while giving out a chuckle.

Hmm...is it wrong of me wanting to slap that smile out of his face?

“We really want to thank you, your highness. It’s thanks to your selflessness that the Empire can carry on with its peaceful state”

Selflessness??

“You couldn’t be more mistaken, Duke Landon. Though we both share the same goal, me and my mother are divided by the sole concept of selflessness. She acts truly for the sake of the people. I, on the other hand, act solely for the sake of my mother’s wish. And of course, I also make sure to get profit by the decisions I made.”

“I...I see”

“Now then if that is all, please allow me to leave. I think Diana here has ended up sleeping due to our talk... Oh and, William, if you didn’t understand the topics we discussed, it will be better for you to clarify them now. Soon, you are going to be the Crown Prince. It may be tough, so don’t feel shy to ask for assistance from your parents.”, I said so while lifting Diana.

“Yes brother, I will. Thank you for giving me your position.”

“Don’t sweat it. I will leave Diana in her room.”

“Thank you, Arthur”, Empress Camilla thanked me.

Is it for Diana or Williams?

I made my way out of the throne straight to Diana’s room...dropped her off to the maids present there.

While coming back, I figured some fresh air might do me good. Changing course to the garden, I asked Sebastian,

“Were you surprised by my actions today?”

“Of course, Your highness. I had expected you to ask for the records regarding Empress Helena’s projects. But the sight of you demanding the Duchy was certainly surprising.”

“hahaha...I see I see. Well then, Sebastian, we have a lot of work to do. Don’t expect me to be a lenient lord.”

“Certainly, Your Highness. I am looking forward to your future actions.”

Hmm...Actions? Not the work I am going to assign you?

Having such idle talks, on reaching the garden, I was greeted by a wild Prime Minister.

“We meet again, Your Highness”

114