7: ROAD TRIP!
344 2 11
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

(It's a long one today, Enjoy. <3)

Jesus is this the power of a blizzard the entire carriage is covered in snow, if the mound of snow on it wasn't so tall I wouldn't have even noticed it, well maybe the horses would have given it away, though I will say those horses don't look like they'll live much longer in all that snow.

"Eis can you do your thing I feel the faster the better"

"Yeah fine, but what to turn all the snow into?"

Like moving the snow isn't that hard but what should I do with it, I feel as though I need to make something with it... hmm as Sword? nah that would just break, well for now lets just move it.

"I haven't done this before but I have a feeling it'll work"

Rene only nods in confirmation. So to begin I infuse a small portion of my mana into the snow and use it to sense where the road is, the area affected by the blizzard is about a 2 kilometer long and 8 meter wide section, Dear goddess that's a lot of snow, to be frank I actually expected a lot less, I could probably even make a small castle with all of it, anyways I infuse my mana into the section and move it towards me while also compressing it into chunks of ice.

(To the outside observer the area around the little magician has easily dropped below 0 and only continues to get colder as the Ice type mana exits her body)

It only takes a small amount of time to gather all of it in one place though the problem is the amount of ice is insane so I had an idea, Why not compress it, so I did, and while doing it my mana drops significantly faster, but luckily by this stage I knew what I wanted to make so I just poured another chunk of mana in and told it to make what I wanted. By this point I had used up all but 5 of my mp and I fell asleep but not before witnessing the birth of a beautiful bonsai tree made of ice potted in an opaque white container and snowy soil.

[Ding]

[Ding]

ugh my head hurts, I feel I just went tubthumping and the authorities at be decided that I had to have the most powerful alcohol available. GASP they didn't make me drink Isopropyl did they? That aside they gave me quite the comfortable pillow... it's kinda warm though I feel if my face was against it for a long time it might end up sticking, I wonder if this is what a lap... pillow... feels like?

My eyes immediately snap open at the possibility of my head rest virginity being stolen by some deranged lady.

"Hey sweetie, are you ready to get up now?"

Horror, that's the only emotion I can feel NO! she stole it! I feel so dirty and embarrassed!

"did you see..."

"see what?"

"my sleeping face..."

"oh it was quite adorable, you looked quite comfortable you even drooled a bit on me"

Oh no she's seen, I have to escape... but now she has blackmail material, what to do.

While I was deep in thought she spoke up.

"You know that sculpture you made was pretty remarkable it even appeared to have become a form of living ice, so it might even grow"

"ohh that's pretty cool... WAIT! you're just trying to distract me from the grave sin you've committed!"

"damn I almost got away with it. Well anyway if you're so upset about it what could I give you as compensation"

"FREEDOM!"

"Un-uh, nope, not happening you're my little munchkin I can't let you get taken away, especially cause you would probably get taken advantage of"

"But you're basically kidnapping me!"

"Well yes technically but you don't really have parents, considering you didn't have a guardian when I found you, you were also a monster just a short while ago so you likely don't know anything about the world, I've also wanted to quit adventuring for a while now and you would be the perfect reason to do so!"

"Why am I your perfect reason!?"

"Well, if I adopt you I could say that I could just say I want more time with my daughter, thus I can teach you about the world and whatnot and I can quit adventuring and finally settle down somewhere, it's a win win, and of course I'll take care of you as if you were one of my own."

That makes a lot of sense actually, I'm still pretty weak, and her logic is pretty sound, but lets ask a few more questions just to make sure.

"I have a few questions before I make a decision."

"Ask away"

"First, How restricted would I be? Second, do I get combat training? I want to see this world but I feel to weak as of current. Third, would I get an allowance? and you said you want to quit how would you take care of me if you don't have a job?"

"Hoo that's a lot of questions, for the first one you wouldn't be allowed to show your status to anyone without my permission, you normally wouldn't show it anyways but for you, you need to be extra cautious, you're also not allowed to show any intermediate magic around people who don't already know you can cast it, Second if you're fine with the Bow and basic Sabre techniques I could train you, third... you want an allowance? huh well I guess it'll be negotiable if you help around the house, or do chores and whatnot, and finally I have enough saved to live several lifetimes like a generous queen."

Huh, that was better than expected the first one was the only really important one and I can agree with those restrictions I was planning to do something similar based of the information she gave me a while ago, but calling her mum would be a bit embarrassing, I'm a grown woman for gods sake, well I don't look like one so I guess I can't complain.

Fidgeting a bit I respond.

"okay I'll go with you... Mum"

what? my face is heating up? no you're heating up! you're whole family is heating up! Huh she looks shell shocked, almost like she saw the most powerful weapon in the universe bearing down upon her. then she suddenly looks toward the sky and starts praying. The hell are you praying for! if it's not to God  Mother I don't want you're prayers!

"Lord that's a weapon that no shield nor armor could block..."

She's muttering strange things again I feel as if I've made the wrong decision, well it's too late now. She suddenly snaps back to reality and looks at me with a smile.

"Alright! so welcome to the family my new and cute little daughter, your status should update with my last name now that I have your consent, but our plans will have to be put on hold cause currently it's night time and we need to help set up camp and introduce you to my contractor. Oh and before I forget, when we get to town I'll let you pick something out as an apology for my earlier transgression, I will also mark today as your birthday because I'm sure you don't know it so when we get to town I'll also buy you a birthday present on top of the previous gift. So you as of today are the 12 year old Eis Skoll, daughter of the former S ranked Rene Skoll!"

I could only nod in affirmation to her enthusiasm, but the hell did she say about my status? why did it update before I accepted her offer? GASP could it be? no she couldn't have messed with my status. did she? well anyways 'status'

Name: Eis Skoll (Sweetie I wouldn't get mad at you for finding a worldly family, you just have to finish that shrine so I can meet them <3 Aurora)

Sex: F

Age: 12

Race: Spirit/Demon (50%/50%)

Specie: Satyress (Dead Ice Variant) Lv: 1/100 xp 0/1000

Hp: 200/200

Mp: 146/146

Strength: 39

Defense: 37

Endurance: 64

Agility: 71

Dexterity: 84

Intelligence: 47

Stat Points: 0

Skills:

Skill points: 100

Intermediate Ice Magic lv1, Ice eater lv6, Mountaineer (Ice, and Earth Attributed) lv7, Ram lvMax, Pain resistance lv3, Ice Poison lv4, Bite lv1, Minor Appraisal lv1, Sense Prescience lv3, Sculpture lv1, Mana manipulation lv 1

Titles:

Aurora Bringer, Torturer, Queen of Eternal Ice

That is the most surprising thing I've seen in this new life, I expected that capricious Goddess to be extremely angry but I guess my worry was unfounded, anyways I have to go meet people.

When I stepped out of the carriage Mum was waiting for me and she held out her hand to help me get down, I took it but contrary to my belief she did not let go once I got to the ground and instead held it, perhaps she had noticed the number of people giving me the stink eye. There were about 20 people in the camp about 15 of which were giving me dirty looks so I suppose the hand holding was a comforting gesture. Soon after a greying old man and a man who looks to be in his 20's came up to us. PS the young one is included in that group of 15 with strange eyes, though when he looked at mum I only saw lust in his eyes, I do admit though despite obviously being quit past her prime Mum is still quite the looker.

The old one spoke first.

"So I take it, it was the little ones magic that cleared the snow for us?"

Rene perked up a bit with a bit of a smug expression. "That's right Lord Helys, it was indeed the work of my newly adopted Daughter that the snow was cleared, I truly was quite fortunate to spot her in the woods before the blizzard got too bad."

they both frowned a small amount when she said daughter in her strange tone. The young one spoke next while looking at me.

"I am Magnus Helys though you can just call me your future father." Future father? I looked up towards Mum who looks like she is about ready to turn him into a pincushion so I can't help but feel this is a one sided fancy.

"Well Sir Helys, I will not comment on your or Mums relationship but I feel that calling you father may endanger my own position, so I will refrain"

the mans brows crease noticeably and the old ones frown deepens, though contrary to the other two Mum is smiling in both eyes and face.

The old one whispers a bit to the young one who then starts smiling a bit, oh they're up to no good I can only feel this turning out bad for me, Mum on the other hand has completely lost her smile, her face now filled with seething rage.

"I do hope you don't suggest I discipline her for stating facts Sir Helys, I will state it once more that I will not marry you even if you gave me the world, I am only here to fulfill a request, not to pander to your fancy. Should I find either of you two attempting to corrupt her I will immediately abandon this request failure be damned, now I will set up my tent over there and I suggest you go back to your work while I spend some time with Eis"

the two audibly gulp in a panic and hurry off.

I look up at her who has since changed her face to that of an expressionless one.

"Mum is it okay to talk to Nobles like that?"

"Hmmm, well they are only at the rank Viscount, the Highest ranking adventurer they could afford to offend is a B ranker, offending an S rank is like offending the Guild so only the most powerful of emperors could afford to challenge them, but in a mid sized kingdom like this one offending the guild would easily be the end of the country.

"Wow, so you are basically on par with a king?"

"More or less, but that doesn't mean I can go around offending Nobles willy nilly it's just that I really dislike those two, they've been after me for the past few years and show no sign of giving up, truly the next 2 days are gonna test my patience though if we can get through the request I can just leave and I think with just the two of us we could be back in the Kingdom of Brambell in at most a day considering how fast I could run while carrying you, But that aside let's set up the tent and go to sleep.

How fast can she run? Lets hope it's not too fast. (Goddess I was naïve I'll never forgive myself for this thought)

We quickly set up the tent, well by we I just watched as Mum set it up while explaining to me how to do it, then we crawled inside and Mum set down a sleeping bag and said.

"Sorry bout this but I only have one sleeping bag so I guess we'll be cuddle buddies today, though I promise you when we get back to Brambell and buy a house you'll have your own room and bed."

Cuddle buddies huh, last time someone said that to me I was 8 years old in my past life, and it too was with my past mum but it was only because thunder is scary and I couldn't sleep! not because I enjoy cuddling! definitely not...

"mn" I respond with a nod whilst rubbing my eyes and I take off my skirt but leave my sweater on and climb into the sleeping bag, soon after Mum enters in just her underwear and a thin shirt and hugs me from behind and I pass out.


I woke up but I was missing a distinct warmth which was very distressing, I even teared up a bit though I'm not sure why. anyways something smells tasty outside, so I got up and put my skirt on and went outside while rubbing my eyes and immediately I noticed that Mum was making some soup, she looked up while smiling at me and handed me a bowl while patting me on the head.

"...Thank you"

"Not a morning person are you?"

"No, usually I get up pretty early it was just... comfortable" I muttered it but I'm certain she heard it though she didn't say anything for a bit and finally after being in her thoughts for a second she asked.

"do you wanna cuddle some more?"

My tired mind didn't feel like arguing itself so I got up and sat on her lap and continued eating, Mum started muttering to herself shortly after.

"Hmm, I feel like I've been missing out for so long..."

I heard her obviously she is right next to my head, well to be more honest she is way taller than me she's probably about 2 meters tall while I stand at around 1.2 meters, which puts my head almost directly into her boobs when I sit on her lap, none the less I can't help but agree with her statement, but I wont tell her that...

"... me too"

Ah! it slipped out, damnit well I guess I get more cuddle time so I wont complain, Huh my seat got stiff when I looked up she looked shocked, she then pinched herself, Mum that's gonna bruise don't do that, when she tries again I swat her hand away, oh now she's tearing up, oh hug initiated, Hey! I'm still eating... well okay only a little.

"Since I met you I've felt I should've adopted sooner but now I feel that I couldn't be anybody but you. Oh and Little munchkin we can cuddle anytime"

"mn" I can only nod, What can I say I like cuddles, hugs, and handholding, physical affections are my favorite, I finished my food and return the hug, I also continue to ignore the scornful gazes from the rest of the guard, I would probably be jealous too Mum is good at cuddles, but she's mine, and I will monopolize the cuddles for as long as I can.

Shortly after everyone has had breakfast our posse packs up camp and we head off, Mum and I sat in the 3rd carriage with a few other guards they mostly ignored us, we didn't really talk much but I got to sit on her lap the whole time and point out things in the surroundings that I didn't know and she would explain them, oh and the once bonsai tree has since melted but it did leave behind a peculiar object, mum told me that it was an Icewood seed and was most likely a gift from the spirits because of my 'offering' as she called it.

the first day of the road trip has thus far been fairly uneventful there was only the odd monster I didn't help because one most of the monsters couldn't be taken care of with the restrictions Mum imposed so I just watched as the Guard and Mum slaughtered them, all of the monsters were C ranked whilst I'm technically only at D according to Mum the scale is G, F, E, D, C, B, A, S. While I was an Ibex I was F ranked but to get to my current form I had to skip a rank so currently I'm D ranked but according to mother Demons don't have ranks outside the artificial adventurer ones, however demons apparently still maintain the ability to evolve it just happens much slower and also yields less change, I will also apparently grow normally so essentially it'll take about 6 years for me to be able to register as an adventurer, with no restrictions, I could technically register at 16 but that requires a written and practical test, but I would be restricted in what missions I could take until I became an adult at 18.

Anyways continuing with the journey summary we stopped around noon and had lunch, this act made Mum very pissed because up until now they hadn't stopped for lunch and she feels it's a tactic to increase her exposure to the old lord and the young one. When I asked if it could be a trap she deemed it unlikely because it would apparently take every person in this kingdoms royal guard to have a 33% chance to beat her in a fight, when I asked how many people were in the royal guard she started to say 1000 but covered her mouth, I'm not sure why I wonder if she thought she'd scare me? well not like it matters she's my precious cuddle buddy and nothing could scare me out of that deal.

A little while after lunch Mum had to go fight some monsters and the Old Lord came to talk to me.

"Little lady what would it take for you to convince Rene to marry my son?"

That's a stupid question I mean if I asked Mum I'm sure she'd give me the world but why would I actively convince her of something she disdains entirely. The old lord sees my frustrated face and mistakes it for confliction so he tries to sweeten the deal.

"If you can get her to agree I promise you that you will be given a good position in our House"

Position? doesn't that mean that'd they would basically force Mum to disinherit me? now that is the most comical thing I think I've ever heard.

"Now I see why you asked while she was away, simply because this conversation if known would probably be the end of your House."

His expression gets incredibly ugly at my statement, Sir I just stated the facts it'd be impossible for anyone to separate her from me at this point I don't even think I myself could do that, I've even kinda come around today she may be a bit delusional but that doesn't stop her from being kind, she would probably take better care of me than anyone else I've met, of course excluding Grandpa and Godly Mother.

"What do you mean? I don't think anything I've said would incite her wrath"

"Well the fact that you're talking to me would be enough to incite her, You also implied your intent to separate us, which mind you is the most insane proposition I've heard in the last little while, I'm not sure what she thinks of me but I believe her to be the ideal mother, and at this point would rather not separate from her, but what I do know about her is that her desire to protect me is quite strong, and poking that desire is equal to being hit by a meteorite, Like have you seen her arrows those things are entirely made of metal, I could barely lift one and she's out there shooting 3 at a time like it were nothing, also even her weakest shot makes a sizable crater in the ground."

The more I talked the more unsightly his expression got though soon the sounds of fighting stopped and he hurried away, shortly afterwards Mum came into view and got on the carriage and put me in her lap.

"Anything happen while I was gone?"

"Hmm, nothing important"

with that we continued the journey until nightfall and we set up camp, this time I helped put the tent up, all the while being glared at by a certain pair, to which I responded by winking at them, then going to help Mum with dinner.

After eating Mum and I got into our tent and went to bed.


I woke up on the second day of our road trip in the tent though this time the warmth is still on my back and when I shuffled around to look at my hug centric Mum I noticed she wasn't sleeping and was instead watching me with a little smile.

"You wanna help me make breakfast?"

"mn" I nodded and she gave me a kiss on my forehead and got up and got dressed, I got up after and put my skirt on, and went out to help but not before grabbing a blanket and wrapping it around myself.

Mum giggled a bit seeing her little munchkin wrapped up in a blanket.

"Can you cut the vegetables for me?"

"mn" I nodded and did as she said, though I bet she's just gonna make a stew again, Goddess I can't wait until I can have some more variety in my meals, Stew is not the optimum!

I finished cutting the vegetables though it is pretty rough, I've never really been good at cooking. Mum then picked one of the veggies out and asked me.

"Do you know what this is?"

well to be honest it doesn't look like any plant I know it almost looks like the love child between celery and zucchini, which is just unholy.

"No."

"Well this is a poisonous herb, it's called Varyi, I don't often use it for cooking but since you're here and you haven't yet developed poison resistance, I'll be putting various poisonous ingredients into our food, though this is completely unnecessary for me as I have toxin immunity Ex as a skill, the skill allows me to not only consume all poisons, and venoms, it also allows me to know what kind of toxin it is"

huh that skill sounds useful I wonder how she got it?

"Ex tier skills can only be obtained by having a brush with death, in my case I got it after I recovered from the most toxic poison known to man, Hydra's blood, though luckily I killed the hydra and leveled up while near death from the poison, with said level up my passive regeneration outpaced the damage the poison did and I survived and acquired the skill, Ex skills aren't too incredibly uncommon after all there are a lot of people who have come close to death and survived I just happened to get one of the most useful ones"

"Hmm so you are immune to every poison? so you can tell when someone tries to poison you?"

"Yes, coincidentally someone tried to poison me with a paralytic poison yesterday however said guard no longer exists, but now I recognize that there is a certain pair attempting to use you as blackmail for me, so I'm going to start raising your resistances."

"mn" I nod and we continue making breakfast shortly after we start eating with me on Mums lap and a blanket coiled around us after we finished I not only didn't acquire the poison resistance skill I also didn't feel anything from it.

"hmm Eis you should have gotten it by now are you sure?"

"I'm 100% certain that I haven't gotten it"

"Hmm I do sense a poison in your body but it is not from breakfast, were you perhaps poisoned before?"

"...Well I can only really think of my Ice poison skill"

"Well that would do it"

"What do you mean?"

"when one has a poison related skill they become immune to all poisons that are less potent than it, since you have the Ice poison skill the only poison that could affect you would be hydra's blood... "What! It's that potent!" well yes, you probably don't know but Ice poison is incredibly nefarious to anything that lacks the Ice or Fire attribute, it quite literally turns things into ice sculptures, it will considerably weaken a fire attributed being though, however on ice attributed beings it's as harmless as a glass of water. I really want to know how you got it but I have a guess, anyways now I don't really need to train poison resistance because you probably wont meet any hydras any time soon, also don't mention to anyone that you have the ice poison skill, it'll help keep you safe"

after our conversation the rest of the camp started to wake up, then they all had breakfast whilst a certain pair looked considerably confused whilst looking at me and Mum.

About an hour later we packed up camp and hit the road again, it was almost a repeat of yester however Mum never went far enough for me to be out of her sight, and a Guard was stationed inside the carriage I was in, nothing much happened I got some more cuddles during the intermission but no one came to talk to me aside from Mum.

Lunchtime came and while Mum and I were making lunch the idiot lord pair came to inquire if they could have lunch with us Mum rejected them, but then I told her to make it real spicy, turns out Mum and I were both big fans of Spicy food and so she complied with their request and mine.

Suffice to say the lords were breathing fire whilst red in the face at their subsequent humiliation, Mum and I greedily ate the rest of the stew because the spice was quite enjoyable even if the other party was too weak to handle it.

After lunch we continued on the road until it got dark, and Mum started cooking while I set up the tent, I finished quickly and laid our sleeping bag down inside it and went out and saw Mum being bothered by the idiot pair they quickly left after they saw me and she started ignoring them completely.

"What were they asking you about?"

"Oh they wanted me to stay in their mansion while I was in town but I refused, they also said the usual 'You're the only star in my sky won't you marry me?' you know, they also said you were manipulating me which I think is perhaps the most idiotic thing I've every heard either of them say, if anything I'm manipulating you."

Mum looked very sad after she said that, maybe even a bit self deprecating.

"I don't think you've manipulated me, even if you have I must have met the nicest manipulator possible. I don't wanna be alone again... I couldn't ask for a better Mum if I wanted to, so won't you please be m-mine?"

before I noticed it I was already bawling my eyes out, and she had already scooped me up into a hug while rubbing my head. I couldn't see it at that moment but any observer would be able to tell the resolution in Rene's eyes saying that she would be the best Mum she could even if it's only for a short while.

After I calmed down I sat on Mums lap and we ate dinner, we stayed up a bit afterwards cuddling some more and I fell asleep.

Mini Chapter: The Best Day of Rene's Life

The Munchkin wore herself out, guess I'll clean up then we'll go to bed.

I finished washing all the utensils and the pot, I then put them in my pack and walk into the tent while carrying the object of my fascination for tonight.

She was so reluctant to come with me when I first found her but now I know quite a lot about her.

She's a sweet girl, though she has perhaps experienced too much loneliness, I fear that if I hadn't found her that this kingdom would have been covered in ice and snow, the spirits love her a bit too much, though I can't see them I can feel them, it appears that one of the guardsmen had noticed as well and attempted to kidnap her, I eliminated him, his body should ashes by now, anyways she has a constant posse of Ice Spirits around her, I think that was probably the reason she was able to cause such a blizzard as well as move all that snow, it should have been impossible for her to move all that even if she had over 1000 mp luckily the guard as well as the idiots didn't notice otherwise she would have surely been used.

I felt that perhaps if I didn't take her someone with less than pure motives would have found her and gained her trust and at that point she would have become one of the most dangerous beings in the world, considering that she has Ice poison as well as her being of the dead ice variant that skill has the potential to become the most deadly poison ever discovered, I feel bad I had actually lied to her the most dangerous poison is not in fact Hydra's blood but is instead Undead ice poison otherwise known as Eternal ice poison it unlike hydra's blood has no cure it acts like a contagious disease unless the skill holder restricts it, and it's airborne once it gets into the air it will freeze the world over the only one who could stop it is the skill holder, it's so dangerous in fact that the Ice attribute has been suppressed for centuries because of it, even if it's only been recorded once luckily it only destroyed one country because the user was not an idiot and he knew its power so he used it to get revenge on the country that betrayed him, thus that country was destroyed and is to this day still a frozen wasteland full of the terrified faces of people forever encased in ice, it's said that once Eternal ice poison enters your veins you cannot die and will stuck in ice for the rest of eternity.

Though if I can stop her from destroying the world then I will do everything in my power.

I am also quite fond of her, it's true what I said that I would adopt her, I had solidified in my heart the moment I laid eyes on her that, she needed a pillar to lean on, I also am sure at this point that no one else could fill my heart like she does, I was worried today when they said she was manipulating me, not because I thought it true but because of the possibility that I might be manipulating her, but as soon as I said that her expression distorted to extreme sadness, then she asked me if I could be her Mum and I fell in love, these past two days I'd spent with her healed my heart, not completely but now I'm sure if my Beloved could see me now he would tell me that I don't have to regret anymore, and that I had found a new purpose.

Today truly is the best day of my life.

11