8: The Town of Helys
378 4 10
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I woke up entangled within Mum's embrace yet again this morning, though unlike yesterday Mum is stroking my head and running her fingers through my hair, Mum's fingernails are fairly sharp though not enough to cut, it does act as a fairly uncomfortable comb but because it was morning and my groggy brain didn't feel like retaliating I let her do what she wants. Whilst the combing was happening I rolled around to face her, and initiate a hug, Why? you may ask, the answer, I'm not sure I suspect that there could be a few reasons why I feel so attached to Mum, one of which is her similarity to Grandpa, the second is that I believe my mind has regressed to fit the age of my body, and lastly I was perhaps starved of affection in my last life and desperately wanted it, subconsciously of course. Well not that the reasons matter I enjoy it and so does Mum so I'm going to cuddle with her for as long as I can.

"Sweetie~ Let's go make breakfast, then we'll be on the road for a few hours before we reach town."

I nod and we get up to make breakfast, well I say we but it's more like Mum makes it while I disassemble the tent and pack up, as well as set out the utensils, though she does let me chop the veggies, she doesn't let me do the meat because it's expensive and despite being super rich she doesn't like to spend money needlessly, so using her words I'm "Not allowed to ruin it" with my poor knife skills, and I can only concede because I too dislike needless spending, and I indeed have terrible knife skills so terrible in fact that she was hesitant to even let me cut vegetables for fear that I may cut myself.

Shortly breakfast is finished, todays dish is Hard bread and Gravy, I would call it biscuits and gravy but the bread that we are consuming is not worthy of the name biscuit it only barely qualifies as bread so how could it hold up to the glorious existence of a biscuit, though clearly Mum disagrees with my conjecture and is inhaling the food in front of her, I follow suit and finish eating breakfast quickly so we can get along with our mission.

After breakfast Mum and I cuddled until the rest of camp finished eating and packing, afterward we packed onto the wagons and continued for a while, the idiot lords attempted to talk to me a few more times but mum was always done fairly quickly so they usually couldn't ask me anything, at one point it devolved into begging which I find pathetic, simply put begging a young child to convince her Mum to hook up with you or your son is pathetic, luckily we were only an hour away by that point so I didn't have to deal with it too long.

Then finally the town was within sight and I could finally have some reprieve from their omnipresent pestering.

"Alright Eis we're going to the guild immediately after we get to town to turn in the request, thankfully due to guild policy I can't be requested for another two weeks, so we don't have to go on a request immediately, however just because I'm getting a vacation doesn't mean we'll be staying long, I plan on staying staying today, tomorrow, and we'll leave the day after that, got it?"

"mn, I got it, but why are we staying so long? I thought you didn't want to be around to long" Little did I know that I had subconsciously tilted my head a bit while asking, and because of this Mum was having a really hard time restraining herself.

"W-well, I promised you compensation, and a present when we got to town so the rest of today is a rest day and tomorrow we're going shopping!"

"Ohh! I totally forgot!"

Hmm but what to buy I wonder if she'd consent to a bow? though I definitely want clothes so perhaps, but I fear I won't be able to carry them 'cause my space isn't operational yet so I think I could hold of on clothes, well that's a matter for tomorrow.

"Oh just so you know the present is a secret, I'll buy it after we pick out you're compensation so I don't end up getting the same thing"

after our shopping talk we chatted a bit until we had gotten to the gate of the city, Mum had to pay for my toll because I wasn't part of the escort so they weren't obligated to pay for me, from moms scowl though I gathered that it was more expensive than it should have been however she payed it anyways which got me some scowls from the guards on duty. I was also tested via crystal if I had committed a crime I was about to touch it when mom stopped me because it wasn't a required process for minors and the fact that the crystal they presented was an enslavement crystal rather than a record crystal, apparently she could tell because the shade of mana they emitted was different though this offence caused Mum to not only shatter the crystal but to break his arm and to cut his leg off, which was quite gruesome but it didn't really bother me, Mum then stormed the guard house and destroyed every enslavement crystal inside as well as dug out evidence of their malpractice, then she dragged an unconscious guard captain out of the guard house and waved to the rest of us signaling us to follow her to the guild, at the guild she called the guildmaster handed him the documents and the guard captain as well as the request paper, she then received her gold from the dazed guildmaster and came over to me.

"So sweetie~ I'll tell you now that after this if you ever want to visit a county that believes in human supremacy you'll need to learn mana perception so you wont get tricked like you did today, but luckily they were idiots and didn't conceal their scheme in the least so now those involved should be imprisoned and the victims released, now let's go find an inn!"

It didn't take very long to find an inn, because Mum already had one in mind, apparently it was run by an old acquaintance and though he was scum he wasn't the type to turn away business because of his beliefs, though we did get caught up by the Idiot lords who insisted that Mum stay at their mansion, which was firmly denied. Then we headed to the inn and rented a room with a large bed and we stayed there until dinner time at which point we ate in the dinning hall, we had sandwiches and soup both of which were ok but were still bland, after which we headed to the bath which was amazingly comforting aside from the vigorous scrubbing I received from Mum, though it did bring back my hairs pristine white color which firmly contrasted the greyish it had been for the past while, afterwards we got dressed and went to bed.


Dawn rose on our second day in Helys, and I was in a very comfortable bed being wrapped in a comfortable pair of arms similar to yesterday Mum was combing my hair with her fingers.

"Hey sweetie it's almost breakfast time, after that we'll go get your things and then we'll walk around town. How does that sound?"

"Mn, sounds... good"

"weak in the morning like always I see, c'mon get up and get dressed"

Afterward she pulled the blanket off of me and I lost my sanctuary of warmth, after which I begrudgingly put my clothes on. When I'm done Mum calls out to me.

"Let's go shopping!" And Mum hurriedly leaves the room brining our belongings with her and I quickly follow after her.

Breakfast was a frittata with toast, jam, and a glass of milk, It was pleasant and filling much better than most of the food I've had since coming to this world. Then after breakfast we went shopping.

"So Eis what are you looking for?"

"Well I've been contemplating this since yesterday and originally I wanted to get some more clothes cause I've been wearing the same ones for a while and frankly it's gross but we probably couldn't carry them so I'll refrain for when we get out of here, so I think I'll get a bow because you said you'd teach me."

Mum's eyes were sparkling when I mentioned clothes but I think that's purely because she want's to dress me up, but they dimmed a bit when I asked about a bow but were none the less still enthusiastic.

"Alright so a bow it is so now you need to decide what kind of archer you're going to be, based off of what your decision is I'll recommend you a bow."

"What do you mean, by 'kind of archer'"

Her face looked as though she was having an epiphany before she smacked her fist onto her palm with a face of realization.

"So do you know what classes are?"

"Nope! What are they?"

"So classes are unlocked when one reaches level 10 and the class' will be determined by the existing skills one has, everyone will start with a basic class which can evolve over time, see I originally was just a {novice archer} but that over time evolved into {Light Archer} which then evolved into {Wind Archer: Magic Archer} which then evolved into my current class which is unique called {Silent Wind Archer: Arcane Archer}, Classes do not level up but instead evolve with mastery over the skills within their respective pool."

"hmmm I get it, so what are the different archer archetypes?"

"So the known ones are, light archer, heavy archer, mounted archer, and longbowmen"

"Descriptions?"

"hah... alright, to put it simply light archers have lower draw weight whilst having higher draw speed, heavy archers are the opposite with additional heavy armor, mounted archers are in theory both but in practice are usually light archers just on a mount, Longbowmen are by far the most dangerous while they can technically be mounted they generally aren't but they specialize in a longer range techniques whilst also having some high piercing power short range techniques though the draw weights can end up being pretty ridiculous"

"hmm I think I'll go with a light archer archetype seems the most practical, I also am looking for a recurve bow."

"Oooh that's rare but not impossible considering that I myself am a recurve user, now I need to know your strength stat to pick out an appropriate one"

"39"

Mum has a complicated face but I'll pay it no heed.

"Well you're a bit weaker than the average level 10 human girl but you're level one so it doesn't matter too much but you'll need to increase your strength a lot to be an archer"

"Huh? I thought dexterity would be the most important stat?"

"Who the hell is implanting those ideas in your head! to wield a bow requires tremendous strength whilst dexterity is important for aiming it's utterly useless when drawing the damned thing and aiming is useless unless you can draw it, you see the bow I currently use requires a minimum of 450 strength to draw it to my cheek but at that point I wouldn't even be able to think of shooting, I'd just be struggling to maintain status quo with it which is why strength is important to archers, because without it you would be useless, anyways lets go get you a kids bow then we can move on."

after our conversation I swore in my heart that I would take to heart that strength is the most important stat for archers, we eventually ended up in a bowyer/fletcher type store, the old man behind the counter was happy at first seeing that he had customers but was instantly disappointed that we were in fact not human, Mum payed no heed to his attitude and walked up to the counter.

"Excuse me sir but do you happen to have a child sized recurve bow?"

The mans eyes instantly started glowing at the mention of a recurve.

"We sadly do not have a children's one but I recently got my hands on a different recurve that's just been collecting dust cause no one wants to buy recurves anymore, wait here I'll be back with it in a bit."

The man came back after a while with an unstrung bow that was red with gold embellishment along with a few feathers hanging from chains that were attached to it. What a gorgeous bow sadly it's almost as tall as I am, however I'd still like to possess it. Mum seeing my excited face went into business mode.

"Cost, draw weight, and does it come with a quiver, if so is it attached to the back to on the hip?"

"30 gold, 120lb, it has a quiver I just didn't grab it, it attaches at the hip along with the holster"

My eyes immediately dim when I hear the weight, moms eyes only get more excited though and immediately pulls out the money.

"Bring me the quiver and a salamander sinew bowstring as well as stock the quiver with arrows." the old man immediately brightens upon hearing those words and runs of. Mum then turns to me.

"You should be able to use this if you get your strength up to 100 it's draw weight is a little excessive for a level 10 but it's high quality and will serve you for a long time, so even if you're stats are a bit unbalanced I believe it'll be worth it to have it as you're partner"

I could only nod in response simply because I didn't expect her to actually buy it, but now that I think about it, the hell is the draw weight on her bow to require her strength stat to be above 450 to use comfortably, that bow must be a monster, especially considering mine has a draw weight of 120lb.

"Mum what is the draw weight of your bow?"

"Hmmm if I'm not mistaken it should be somewhere around 500lb" My jaw dropped Jesus Mum that is no longer a bow that is a gun! that thing is so powerful! Luckily crossbows don't exist yet if they did I could only imagine the sheer power they could pack.

The old man came back while I was in a daze over Mums incredible strength, Mum then payed for the extra accessories then grabbed my hand and we left the store. Mum then started to drag me around whilst she decided in her mind where to go, eventually we ended up in front of a store called ephemeral fabrics and I knew what she wanted to get me.

"Alright sweetie, you were talking about clothes and I was debating whether to get you a sabre or buy you clothes but I feel that clothes will be more useful considering you probably couldn't wield a sabre effectively right now, so now I'm going to dress you up and buy you lots of clothes, Oh and don't worry about space, we can buy a space bag here so no need to worry about it."

"w-wait, how expensive is a space bag"

"It shouldn't be more expensive than a few mithril coins" I paled because in this world a mithril coin would be enough to buy a castle and still have some left over. (Coins 100 copper= 1 bronze, 100 bronze= 1 silver, 100 silver= 1 gold, 100 gold= 1 platinum, 100 platinum= 1 mithril, 100 mithril= 1 orichalcum)

"Y-you're not planning to buy a castle when we leave Helys right?"

"certainly not, though I do plan on building a fortified house on the outskirts of a village near the capital of Brambell, when we leave"

"whew, as long as you don't buy a castle... I don't think we could clean it with just us two"

"well no need to worry about that! let's go so I can dress you up!"

with that I was pulled inside the store, we were immediately greeted with the sneers of snobby looking people, however the girl at the counter was pulling a perfect customer service smile, it wasn't even wavering in the slightest and to that I commend her. Mum ignoring all the people in the store walks up to the girl and asks.

"Has your mum made any space bags recently?"

The girls eyes widen when she hears Mum and her smile changes to a true one in an instant.

"Auntie Rene! why are you here?! and who's the girl?"

"hahaha chill out Tilia, I'm here to buy a present, for this girl who is now my adoptive daughter, her name is Eis, but we need some more storage space so I was wondering if Amicia made any space bags recently.

The girls eyes widen in shock when she looks at Mum and I and immediately hops over the counter to hug both me and Mum.

"Auntie I can't believe you'd find a little bun that you'd adopt! now Mum and I can stop searching for a man for you!"

"Oh Tilia, I was wondering why there were so many people in the store right now? usually it's not this crowded"

"Uh, Mum said that we're going to be moving to Brambell because she's tired of nobles attempting to court her and I, and so we're selling everything at a lower price, so we don't have to pack as much, in fact we've already sold the land we should be leaving tomorrow, oh and if you want a space bag you could probably get one if you also bought a significant amount of clothes simply because Mum wasn't making them to sell but to help the moving process."

"Oh! that's exciting yes we were planning on buying a lot of clothes so that should be no issue we are also going to be leaving to Brambell tomorrow so we should go together, ah! and can you gather clothes for Eis I'm gonna go talk with Amicia, Have fun you two!"

After that Mum walked into the back room and I was left in a room full of hateful eyes, except for the pair in front of me who appeared to be thirsting over my being.

"Uh, so I'm Eis nice to meet you?"

"Kyaaa! you're so cute! My name is Tilia, Auntie Rene and my Mum are good friends from before Mum retired as an adventurer, sadly Dad passed away a few years ago but we still manage with our business, anyways I'm going to dress you up!"

'AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!' my fate was sealed as soon as she grabed my wrist and dragged me to a changing room, the madwoman even locked me inside so I couldn't escape. The zealous girl kept pilling clothes in the room that she thought would look good on me, then finally she entered the room wit one last armful and tore off my clothes, and violently replaced them for about 3 hours until we had gone through all of the clothes, at one point Mum showed up with an older version of Tilia and they started laughing at my misfortune, by the time it was over I was laying on the ground in my original clothes looking at the ceiling as if I'd seen death herself.

"fufufu, Alright Amicia I'd like to buy all these clothes along with a space bag, and perhaps we could meet up tomorrow so we could journey Brambell together."

"Hmm, I like that idea, then I won't have to deal with Tilia's ravings on the way as much, so how are we traveling? conventional, or unconventional?"

"Hmm I was thinking of just running back while carrying my little bun"

"Unconventional it is, I guess Tilia and I will ride the wolves, while you and Eis can do your thing"

"Agreed tomorrow 8am sound good?"

"Perfect see you then, oh and take those things there on the house"

With a thank you we left after Mum put all my luggage in the bag including the bow that she had attached to herself at one point, though by this point I was dazed and when we reached the inn I ate and immediately went to sleep, though I don't remember how I got in bed or what I ate.

10