Chapter 2
333 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

During dinner, the foods were set at a long table.  Adna was specially sitting on  top of the table.  She loved to do that.  Papa Mar, Mom Rona and her siblings Aunt Felip, Aunt Feliz and Uncle Mike were sitting properly on their respective chairs.  Adna would tell the servant ‘’water’’.  Again, she would say ‘’give me water’’.  Papa Mar would tell her, ‘’Adna, always say please’’  It  was  difficult for Adna to step down from the long table to get water by herself, so she would say again ‘’water please’’

     After eating, Adna would always love to listen to the stories of Papa Mar of his experiences during the World War II.  They met new friends when they evacuated to higher lands quite far from their place.  Our family  servant was one of the children of his friend whom he met during the war.  Papa Mar then got his guitar and Mom Rona joined him in singing.  Adna just listened to them.  Then, Aunt Felip would bring Adna outside the house and told her ‘’Adna, I will teach you a poem.  Adna attentively listened to Aunt Felip.  ‘’When you say the poem, look up to the sky Adna and watch the moon’’,  Aunt Felip said.  The poem goes like this Adna’’;

     ‘’Oh look at the moon, it’s shining up there,

       Oh Mother, she looks like a lamp  in the air

       One day she grows bigger, and shapes like an O

        And then she goes smaller and shapes like a bow’’

     Adna, looking up watching the moon, memorizing the poem felt joy because the moon truly exists.  The poem is telling the truth.  Aunt Felip told Adna, ‘’now I will teach you a song’’;

     ‘’Bunny, Bunny do not run away

      I’ll give you grass and clover

      If you will only stay’’.

     Adna joined Aunt Felip singing the song.  Then Adna and Aunt Felip slept together on the same bed.

     Adna proudly goes to school, as she was wearing a nice dress, and wore a beautiful wrist watch. It did not mean she felt superior over other students.  Her heart still remained kind to others, specially her classmates whom she used to share her foods.  As time passed by, Adna showed good performances in school.  Many teacher admired her.  They never had a problem with her character and even her academic performance.  

Graduation came and Adna was very happy wearing nice white graduation dress with jewelries from Mom Rona and Aunt Felip and Aunt Feliz.

     Adna joined  an organization in the church, just a walking distance from her place.  A very religious neighbor brought her and assured Mom Rona that she would closely watch over Adna.  When Adna joined them, she was so amazed because the organization members were all adults.  No one was of the same age with her.  ‘’It is just like home’’, Adna said.  Adna recognized one of them was her teacher in Grade One.  One time, Adna joined them in an outing to the beach.  Mom Rona trusted Adna’s companions because they were all grown ups and some are already old.

     Near the church was an exclusive school for girls in high school run by nuns.  Adna started to become active in the church.  At her young age, she started teaching children from different ages.  Adna loved to share her ideas and was a very good story teller.  The children loved Adna because she always gave them something to eat.  She became close to priests and nuns.  She was even convinced to become a nun.  During activities in school, Papa Mar was always present.  He was very neat and was always smiling..  Mom Rona was also very elegant and her natural beauty outshines other parents.  One time, the high school teachers of Adna went to her house to talk with Mom Rona regarding Adna’s unfamiliarity and fear of being lost when school activity was in the next city.  ‘’Adna needs to be trained to go to a distant place on her own’’, the  teachers said.  Yes, Adna was allowed to go to the distant places but Papa Maar was with her to protect her from strangers.

     When Adna reached third year high school, an accident happened.  Mom Rona falls down on the floor and can hardly walk.  She became bedridden.  Adna was so affected with Mom Rona’s condition.  Papa Mar also had eye problem.  He had to undergo an operation with his eyes due to cataract.  Adna took care of Papa Mar in the hospital for many days, and also made sure that Mom Rona’s needs were provided.  Adna’s joyful soul started to fade away.  She loved Mom Rona so much as well as her Papa Mar, too.  ‘’I must do something to help them’’, Adna said to herself.  At her young age, she started to get a job during summer vacation.  All her earnings she gave to Mom Rona.  Delicious foods were still served on the table from Adna’s earnings.  Mom Rona was unhappy to see that Adna was already working to help them support their needs at her young age.  Mom Rona could not do anything because Papa Mar had been prescribed costly medicines for his eye operation.

     Papa Mar never gave up.  He sold his roosters in order to enrol Adna.  Mom Rona used to be with Adna during enrolment but this time Adna had to be on her own.  Before the school year ended, Adna had a mild heart problem.  The challenges in life were trying to shaken the family had not changed the love and affection for each other.  Adna finished High School from an exclusive school.  After her graduation, she rushed home and went straight to Mom Rona who was still lying on her bed, and Adna handed her Diploma.

     Adna enrolled in the best University in the next city, an hour ride from her home.  She was discovered to have a potential for academic honors.  Adna’s thoughts were not whole.  Small part was in school and the biggest part was her Mom Rona.  Adna realized that she had to support the needs of her family.  She became a working student.  Her top priority was her family and not her studies.  

     Mom Rona had two other brothers with many children.  One of these children is Adna’s father, Gio.  Staying with Mom Rona were her unmarried siblings, Aunt Feliz, Aunt Felip, Uncle Mike.  To them, Adna is their only child.  Most precious child.  During Mom Rona and Papa Mar’s difficult times, the two brothers together with their children wanted to take the properties.  They want all the properties because they have many children while Mom Rona, Papa Mar, Uncle Mike, Aunt Feliz, Aunt Felip  didn’t have any offspring.  The legal battle began. Mom Rona was criminally charged by them and was arrested by the police when Mom Rona failed to File Answer to  the Complaint.  Someone helped Mom Rona and she was able to post bail. Mom Rona’s two brothers and nephews including Gio and his new wife were so cruel.  They had no mercy considering Mom Rona’s condition.  When the judge saw Mom Rona’s condition, the Judge and lawyers of both parties went to Mom Rona’’s house where the case was held.  Adna made sure she can provide the money to pay for her Mom Rona’’s lawyer who defended her.  There were times when the case hearings were postponed, yet Adna needs to pay the lawyer.  It lasted for many years.  Adna was only 18 years old when many cases were faced by her loved ones, in order to squeeze and force them to surrender their properties.  They chose to defend their rights against their bad brothers.

     One night, inside the house Mom Rona still bedridden, Aunt Felip, Papa Mar, Uncle Mike brought Adna outside the house.  The lawyer was waiting there with some companions.  A document was brought by the lawyer and Adna needed to sign.  The properties were intended to be given to Adna because of their love and Adna reciprocate with love and serve them well.  All the support given by the young Adna was very much appreciated by Mom Rona,  Papa Mar, Aunt Feliz, Aunt Felip, Uncle Mike.  The lawyer told them that another name must be added in order to make the transfer of rights to Adna valid.  There  was no intention to give the properties to a distant relative other than Adna.  Believing what the lawyer said, Papa Mar, Mom Rona, Aunt Feliz, Aunt Felip, Uncle Mike, Adna and the distant relative signed the document with  two witnesses. One was the father of that distant relative and the other one was his friend who was a local official.  Adna did not give much importance to the properties.  The most important for her were her Papa, Mom, Aunts and Uncle.  To Adna’s mind, ‘’ I grew up in a comfortable life, it is time to give back the comfort to Mom Rona, Papa Mar, Aunts and Uncle’’.  Adna made sure they would eat delicious food.  After eating,  the routine of Papa Mar to play his guitar and the singing of Mom Rona.  The joyful soul of Adna still radiates and did not fade away.  Her burning love for them had made her strong and determined to provide their needs.  Adna said to them, “Don’t worry, I will never leave, I will always stay up to the end’’.  Mom Rona’s leg was amputated.  She was confined January 8, 1986 at the hospital near the University where Adna studied.  Her leg was amputated January 11, 1986, then she died January 19, 1986.  Right in time Mom Rona’s case was dismissed.  Adna asked Papa Mar to place the Court Decision inside Mom Rona’s coffin. Papa Mar said ‘’yes’’.  Mom Rona brought the Court Decision with her.

     Four source inspirations still remain, Papa Mar, Aunt Feliz, Aunt Felip and Uncle MIke.  Of course, in mind and heart lives Mom Rona.  Adna continued to do her best joyfully to provide for them  The burning love within her has kept her on the go.

0