Chapter 8
276 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

When Adna had a license to export her fashion jewelries with the big help of her Uncle  Rom who was a lawyer in a government department, who wished Adna to become a lawyer like his two sons, Adna instead told him to help her instead in her business.  This lawyer had not met by Adna for a long time.  She only met him when Adna’s mother came to visit her when she was 17 years old.  Adna’s mother became so close to Al than her daughter.  Adna felt like a stranger to her, Mom Rona is her true mother for her.  Mom Rona who was so kind enough, with the permission of Papa Mar gave Liz a room in their house.  The room was the master’s bedroom at the second floor of the house.  Mom Rona and Papa Mom stayed at the room supposed to be designed as a servant’s quarter.  This became room for Adna and Aunt Felip, then for Papa Mar and Mom Rona.  When Liz came she was welcomed by Mom Rona and she stayed always at the original room of the couple.  Beside her room was the room of Aunt Feliz.  Adna was excited at first to see how her biological mother looks like.  Still motherly love which filled the heart and mind of Adna belonged to Mom Rona.  To her, Liz was just an aunt who visited her.  Liz told why it took her the longest time to visit Adna, because she lived abroad with her foreigner husband.  She had asthma because she could not withstand the very cold weather there, and when her husband who was a pilot died, she decided to come home without any intent of taking Adna away from Mom Rona and Papa Mar.

Adna was already part time working at that time, so she could only spend time with Liz shortly at night as she was already tired from work then needed to prepare for her studies the next day.  The lawyer who  defended Mom Rona told Papa Mar to sue Gio, as he was already rich with good business whose capital was from  Papa Mar’s retirement pay and using one of the land titles as collateral to his loan from the bank  Adna used to write the letter to collect the payment from Gio, but his new wife would hinder it to reach Gio.  If Papa Mar did not lend his money to Gio, then Adna could not have financial difficulties.  Papa Mar’s dream for Adna was to become a lawyer.  It was the biggest mistake of Papa Mar that he trusted so much Gio.  Because Liz was around, the lawyer also told her to sue Gio for support.  Liz faced Gio in court, but then before the case was finished,  Liz died due to severe asthma attack.  Liz came from a well to do family, so one of them was his cousin Rom who was a chief in the legal department of the government.  Uncle Rom shouldered all the expenses, but they allow Adna to make all the decisions for her mother.  Adna would not stare to the face of her mother, she was afraid.  Unlike when Mom Rona died, she stayed all the time beside her bed kissing her and non stop talking to Mom Ron.  ‘’You said we will go home on Monday, and I will buy you a wheelchair, but why?  I thought and believed you will go home alive, not dead’’, Adna talking to Mom Rona.  

Uncle Rom had a law office with his two sons who were also lawyers.  He told Adna you can work at my office as our secretary.  Al use to visit Adna in the office so that they can just walk to the University, but Al has to walk alone, Uncle Rom who was also a professor in the same University would bring Adna with him riding his car.  Uncle Rom’s character was similar to Papa Mar’s character so he gained the trust of Adna.  When his sons would ask something from him like office supplies, it would take time, but when they let Adna asked what they need, Uncle Rom gave it right away.  The two second degree cousins of Adna were starting to compete who would become closer to her.  The younger one became successful.  He would ask tire for his car, even money to pay for the parking area near the office.  He even include his cigarettes as part of the office supply.  Adna received allowance from them.  One time, Uncle Rom noticed Adna did not talk about her class schedules.  Adna did not enrol because Mom Rona’’s condition had became worst.  Uncle Rom gave Adna money so that she could be a late enrollee.  Adna at her school department took insertions of all her subjects.  One of her classes, where the professor was a lawyer, Adna came late so she was not able to get a chair from another room, Adna would just ask him questions about politics which was the favorite topic of the professor.  Then Adna told him ‘’Sir, may I use your chair,  it is hard for me to be standing for one hour’’, then the professor took his chair and asked one of Adna’s male classmate to bring the chair to Adna.  The professor was just half sitting and half standing on his table.  Adna became a favorite student to him.

Adna’s academic performance was fascinating.  All of her subjects gave her good grades, 1.0, 1.1, 1.2, which exempts her from taking the mid-term and final examinations.  Because she enrolled with underload subjects, she was not qualified for academic scholarship which would give her the benefit of a free tuition fee.  There were times when Al had to borrow money to pay her tuition without a need to rush for Adna was exempted in the examinations.  If Adna was not exempted, the permit had to be shown and signed by the professor for each subject and permit would not be released if not fully settled.  A receipt of the payment was strongly required to obtain a permit.  In Adna’s situation, she could present and have it signed later.  Adna then realized why Uncle Rom really treated her like a daughter.  It was because, his eldest daughter who was a professor in the same University died.  Adna had the privilege to bring back the joy of Uncle Rom as Adna was allowed to talk anything and everything under the sun to him.  There were times when Uncle Rom would look at the mirror, then he would ask Adna, “am I good looking?’  Then Adna would answer,  “you look more good Uncle if you wear the eyeglasses with gold frame’’.  Then Uncle Rom would go inside his office and when he comes out with his attache case, he already wears the eyeglasses, Adna would want him to wear.

One time,  Adna and Al bought a small motorcycle.  It was not brand new so when it was checked by the traffic officers, it was impound.  Al was so worried, that time Adna was not with him.  When Adna knew about what happened,  Adna called Uncle Rom.  When Uncle Rom answered his phone call, he told Adna that he still hosted a Christmas party.  Adna insisted, ‘’Uncle you need to come, we are now in the office of the traffic officers at their camp’’.  In less than 30 minutes,  Uncle Rom arrived, he went directly to the office of the head of the traffic who was a Colonel, he showed him his calling card where he was the head of the legal department, Adna was with him and he told the Colonel, this is my niece.’’, the Colonel smiled and they shaked hands, meaning of friendship, then called one of his men and said to him, ‘’release the motorcycle’’.  Adna knew deep in her heart how she is being loved by Uncle Rom, just like how she is loved by her Papa Mar.  Uncle Rom told Adna one time, ‘’you must become a lawyer, who will protect you when I am gone?’’  Uncle Rom also became one of the godfathers of Al the second.   He assessed Al could not provide well Adna’s needs, he did not stop helping Adna.  As the fashion accessory business was seasonal, not whole year round, he would welcome her to come to his office and work.  Papa Mar was so grateful to him.



*******

No chapter every Sunday, so 6x chapters/week. Not an April Fool's chapter.

0